AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Do you own a cat?

Author Topic: Do you own a cat?
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of getting a new cat. A Siamese.

My Aunt and Uncle had a gorgeous Siamese cat that was a neighborhood favorite and I figured to carry on the tradition.

However, I'm going to wait til new houses get bought. I believe if you're gonna own a pet you have to be responsible for it's life and give it a good stable home.

Anyone own a cat and especially a Siamese?

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

IP: Logged
jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
My housemates have two cats. They're fun.

But beware the pet that destroys things, wakes you at all hours of the night, and doesn't respond to punishment. That is a pet not worth having.

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

nettajean
IE # 98
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nettajean   Email nettajean         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend had a cat when I moved in with him and shortly after, I adopted a 4 month old kitten. This is my first experience with cats and I have to say that I love having them. I was under the impression that most cats are very independent and unsocial, but my cats have proven otherwise.

My boyfriend got his cat (Mocha) as a kitten and gave him tons of attention as a baby, so now, he's a lap cat. He'll lay on the couch with us curled up on our chest, purring away.

My kitten (Chai - who is now 1 1/2) curls up in bed with me in the morning trying her best to keep me from going to work to stay home and play with her.

They are great together too. The older cat didn't take too well to the kitten at first but now they play and wrestle like two siblings.

Mocha was declawed because he was tearing up the place, but Chai still has her claws which she lets me trim every couple of weeks. When I adopted Chai, I was told that declawing was not good for a cat. Thankfully I have not had to do that.

My mom grew up with Siamese and told me how they were snobbish and unsocial...but I think it just depends on how they are treated as babies. My cats could have been that way too had we not paid tons of attention to them when they were little.

--------------------
Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed
--Mel Brooks

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a firm believer in the more attention you could give them at an early age; the better their personalities will be for the rest of their lives.
I once was going to school and someone gave us a kitten, and since my ex didn't like cats paid no attention to it and I was in school 24-7. That cat grew up with a bad temper, hisses at everything and sleeps 20 hours a day in the closet. But then seven years later I get another kitten this time I could pay attention to the little stinker since I was working at home. That cat grew up with the best personality; this cat purrs at everything, looks you in the eyes when meowing (about 1000 times a day, it seems) and she even seems to know when I’m goofing with her… I could scrunch & wiggle my hands while hunching over as if to say… “I’m gonna get-cha !” & she gets all slap happy cause I chase her around the house & then when I catch her she gets crazy rubs.

Here's a pic of when I'm done chasing her, the arms lift is a clear sign of surrender & now wants the much deserved rubs & scraches...
 -

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
You might get a pervert cat that likes spankings... My knuckle head cat actually likes this... http://www.dailyhaha.com/_vids/cat_spanking.htm

--------------------

KevinO
IE # 36
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinO   Email KevinO         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a cat at the shelter in Burbank when it was 6 weeks old. It's a Maine Coon cat, long fluffy fur in the winter, sheds it out in the summer. He's an indoor/outdoor cat, comes when he's called, stays mostly in our yards, sleeps at night in the house, all around good cat. Cats are cool. At least this one is. He keeps the raccoons and possums at bay that travel through our yard at night. Been known to leave a bird carcass or two around the grass too. Good vitamins in sparrows or wrens. He's not finicky, only eats one type of dry food too. And I agree about the attention paid at a young age. We did just that, and I think that's why he stays around the yard. He's got it good.
monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a "part-time cat". We live in a duplex, and our neighbor has an outdoor/indoor cat that spends a lot of time in our backyard. He's a complete attention ho - he'll be at our bedroom sliding door at 1 am waiting for someone to show up so that he might get a little scratch behind the ears.

Best of all possible worlds - we get a cat to play with and someone else takes care of the food, vet, and litter box... [Big Grin]

Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patty B   Email Patty B         Edit/Delete Post 
Were in the market for another cat.
Our last new cat is now joining our pet cremation urn collection--he was hit by a car two weeks ago, the eve of our wedding. He was a year old.

He was an amazing cat, main coon style from the pound. The kids were devestated. And now I find myself worried that we could never find another cat with the personality of Jack so I am afraid to even try.

About declawing --I know it's a touchy subject to owners and for the reasons for having it done but...declawing a cat is the equivalent of removing your finger tips at the first knuckle below your nail bed. It's terrible (personal opinion). Even though the cat seems to get over it, from what I've seen from declawed cats I've known they never seem right again with their paws.

Get a cat Greg and play the hell out of him!

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jasen. I have had cats pretty much most of my life. My current cat which is going on 14 years old didn't have much company when I first got him but I've worked at home for almost a decade so he's got a mixed personality.

He's got alot of attitude and tends to not like many people in the house unless they are people he likes. he tends to bite alot but is a big baby with me and my lady, Lisa.

He's pretty happy but can change pretty quick. I think me not being around in the beginning made him a little edgy. But I couldn't imagine not having in my life. he's part dog and always follows me around the house but can sleep most of the day away too.

cats are great but I would have to agree if you don't have time don't get one.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

JATG
IE # 29
Member # 65

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JATG   Author's Homepage   Email JATG         Edit/Delete Post 
I too have a Maine Coon. I got him when he was 2 so I don't know much about his early life but he must've been petted and handled and loved a lot.

He comes when he's called, loves to be petted, does a few tricks for kitty treats and honestly I believe he thinks he's a dog.

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

oh yeah... and get used to this... (the last 2 seconds of this video) http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7ea_1186969699

--------------------

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
HA! my whole apartment carpet is stained with cat puke stuff. it looks like subtle patches of discoloration...yeah, get use to it.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
As a kid, I never had pets. So, I think of them as a "new thing" even though I now have grey hair and a nose tube and an artificial hip and a quintuple bypass and a artificial cranium and a "Gerrold folded" treatment.

My ex and I (1978-1994) had a few cats, but I didn't like them, although I suffered through at least one traumatic death. A boy cat, Batu, was a particularly charming cat. He never groomed himself, so he stank like an adult male goat. His front legs were much larger than his rear, due to kitty starvation. I personally witnessed him killing - and eating - his own offspring. He slept in a drawer of my desk as I did advertising illustration in the 80's. We were broke, so he was never neutered. He would disappear for days at a time, then show up demanding food. He was a great cat, and he could fight and kill animals much larger than himself. I won't bore you with the details, but I saw it going down. He was a tiny, savage, little bastard. Maybe 8 pounds, and the scourge of 140-pound dogs.

In the 90's, I got a call from my estranged ex. Batu was found dead. Run over and knocked into a ditch. Crushed skull. I was devastated, even though I hadn't seen him in years. It was a foggy day, and it seemed as if the paper man (rural) had done it. No bad feelings. Job to do, etc.

Years later, my girlfriend shows up with a grey cat found in a store's parking lot. An 8-month old baby. I resist at first, but soon the cat is inside, and a constant companion. When I nap (as freelancers do) she naps under my hand. She is quiet, nicely-behaved, a lovely, lovely cat. Greycat, I call her. She coughs constantly, and grows weaker by the day. Her breath smells like rotten meat. A vet visit confirms she has kittly AIDs, and I have her put to sleep. There are procedural difficulties that complicate the euthaniasia, about which I was informed by phone, which haunt me to this day. I felt I did the wrong thing. I was with my dad when he died, and the Greycat death ranks up there for trauma-quality.

Years later, My girlfriend brings me a cat she found in the parking lot of a bar. The bar owner had attained some local notoriety because he put out antifreeze bowls for stray kitties. the cat I end up with is blind, totaly screwed up, has kidney failure, and I have her put to sleep eight months after I get her, mostly because she is a pain in the ass always slamming into the metal kitchen cabinets with her skull, and because I have to have surgery myself and I need to recuperate over a month or so.

November 2006, I volunteer to take my girlfriend's beloved 14-year old cat to the vet to be put down. Details omitted. I am very depressed at this. Later, the girlfriend show up with a small male cat found at her mother's house. Feral for maybe six months, he now lives with me. He is a savage little bastard who occasionally, for no good reason, attacks me and bites a huge hunk out of my knee. He attacks me when I'm sleeping, and I have scratches, some serious, all over me. I find this endearing. The cat is 18 months old now, neutered, and shows no signs of slowing down. Daily, I regret adopting him, although it's sort of cool when he gives me new bloody wounds. A couple of times, I have sincerely tried to kill him with a pair of binoculars or a dictionary, resulting only in a broken window. The cat is fast. He scares my girlfriend's dog - an 80-pound pit bull - to death. The dog will not even look at the cat or walk by him. The cat has attacked him several times and smacks him in the face many times a day.

Basically, cats suck. Pets suck. Objectively, I hate the damn things. Yet, I live with them. Other people bring them to me.

KevinO
IE # 36
Member # 56

Icon 7 posted      Profile for KevinO   Email KevinO         Edit/Delete Post 
Patty B - that's weird, our maine coon is also named Jack. Named after my dad who passed away in '01.
We have an cremation urn with our dog in it.

Jessie
Member # 1722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessie   Email Jessie         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really a cat person ---- WOOF!!!
Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had Siamese cats in the past; they were wonderful pets. Sheena was incredibly loyal and lovable, anything but aloof. She lived to a very healthy seventeen years old. Tricksie was more neurotic; she could never sit still and seemed to seek the high point in the living room whenever visitors dropped by. I love Siamese cats; they're like feline monkeys, smart and acrobatic.

We also had a very sweet little Himalayan cat, Swee'Pea. Although she was incredibly glamourous -looking, there was something wrong with her tongue muscles, so she often resembled a goofy cartoon cat with her little pink tongue hanging out. Angora-like fur aside, she was the least trouble of any cat we've ever had.

When our beloved black male cat Felix died unexpectedly in his sleep, my family overcompensated to fill the huge gap his passing left in our lives. We've now got three male black cats: Ditko, StanLee and Simon. Like their namesakes, Ditko is the most mysterious and self-purposeful and StanLee is the friendliest, like an oversized kitten. Simon is extremely skittish and hides under the bed whenever any unexpected action is made near him, but he always comes out and displays his tummy to get tickled and petted by Yours Truly.

The three of 'em drive our Border collie crazy -- even though she loves 'em and they love her -- because Daisy's constantly trying to herd them, an impossible task, indeed!

Aloha,

Scott!

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Jasen, I'm wondering how many other things you tried on that poor cat before arriving at spankings as the thing he liked?

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

I read in the feline world, gift giving is a high honor, and similar to a child giving candy to a pet.
Then the "gift" gets lost in my home *sigh*
I just got this treat about 2 minutes ago...

-

--------------------

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

quote:
Jasen, I'm wondering how many other things you tried on that poor cat before arriving at spankings as the thing he liked?
Don't ask... IT'S A FREAK SHOW over here. [freak] [funny]

--------------------

Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

^^^
That is sooo funny!

"He's in the bookshelf, filed under M!"

--------------------
 -

Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

My 9 yr old son wants me to add:

'And the captions make the picture funnier!!!! Particularly MOUSE and RETARD.'

--------------------
 -

Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

KevinO
Our cat was named by our 6 yr old --he called him Jack Jack from the Incredibles and no better name could he have chosen coz it ws bang on.

In our pet rearing ears we have named our pets after kids' show celebs or cartoon names:
-Pinnochio the wood grain cat--lived 19 yrs--good run great friendly cat.
-Finnegan-bishon frise-named after the dog puppet on the Mr. Dress Up Show and adopted as a pal to Pinnoch.
-Casey--budgie bird--the dog puppet's pal on Mr. Dress Up and pal to Finny who wanted to eat him when he landed in his fur.
Joey--black and white cat --new friend to Finny when Pinnoch went to live with my parents. Named for Dennis the Menaces pal Joey.
Jack Jack--cat --the Incredibles.
RIP to all.

Any one else name their pets after work names?

I want a wire hair terrier and name him Asta from the Thin Man. I read that that breed was soo popular in the thirties because of the Thin Man movies that they were over bred-kinda like what's happen to the pit bulls and rotweilers.

--------------------
 -

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
In '89 when my parents retired up to Central Calif,they were literally adopted by a gorgeous tortoise-shell(partly feral)adult Maine Coon.The cat was on their doorstep when they moved in, and never left.
As "Cat" was feral in nature,she'd cruise nearby fields for much of the day, often returning with a "gift" of a live (or sometimes dead) mouse.
When I'd visit, and we'd go out in he car, Cat would always run to meet us when she saw us on approach.
We all adored that animal-- and when my Mom passed away in'91 I was so glad Cat was there to keep Dad company.
From then on,she always slept at the foot of his bed, and would wake him in the morning by chewing on his pajama buttons!
Though she made mincemeat out of Dad's reading chair, he refused to have her declawed. She also loved to watch nature shows on TV; 30 seconds of Animal Planet and she was in rapt attention!
Sadly, when she was only 13,and still somewhat feral, she contracted FIP Feline Infectious Peritonitis and had to be put down. We were devastated and Dad missed her terribly.
It often bothered him when well meaning neighbors suggested he get another cat right away. I remember he told me on the phone in his oh-so British tone-- 'Good God-- it's not like replacing a worn out sweater, it's a unique personality,a family member!' He never did get another cat, because "Cat" was irreplacable.

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Day in the mornin'! ( granpa's expression ).

I just asked if anyone had a cat, I walk away and come back and there's a huge thread!

I have video of a great backyard battle with the cats and a Minah bird's chick that fell out of a tree. That Minah bird drove the neighborhood crazy til one of the neighborhood cats knocked it out of the tree. Then all the cats, squirrels, and other birds including a skunk joined in trying to kill the Minah birds. It was a five hour battle!

I've known some mousers. Great legendary mousers. My pal Jim had a tabby named Iggy after Iggy Pop.

Nobody messed with Iggy.

He was so strong he could pull a grown man down to the ground.

Cats are a big responsibility. Living close to 20 years is a big acheivement.

--------------------

eboles
IE # 266
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eboles   Email eboles         Edit/Delete Post 
My kid brother 'rescued' 2 feral kittens earlier in the month.

The first guy, it's reckoned was about 6 weeks old. The rest of the kittens in that litter had died. You can't tell from the picture, but he was extremely thin. Probably wouldn't have lasted much longer. It's suspected he survived by canabalising from the little kitten skeletons found in the old coalshed where the nest was.

-

Very friendly and happy go-lucky in spite of the harsh childhood, but health doesn't seem to be the greatest. Chances are, if he was a canibal, he may have caught something, and may yet have to be put down.
 -

The other one came from a litter found in an old disused outhouse nearby. Looked far too young to me, but apparently it's doing very well so far.

-

Based on web info, he/she's probably only about 2 weeks old. Pretty helpless, and requires round the clock care. Has to be fed with a syringe and you also have to get it to sh1t and urinate.

-  -

I asked my brother how he intends to cope with this around the clock stuff, and he told me he figures it's a pain, but it's only for a couple weeks. The 6 week old is pretty self-sufficient, knows how to clean himself, use the litter tray, eat what you put down for him. He reckons the small one'll have reached that stage before school starts up again. I wonder if anyone who's raised kids wished it had all been as easy as that.

here's the 2 of them in his bedside drawer on the first night:

-

They're obviously related, maybe cousins, maybe even step-siblings of the same father.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Awwww, they're so cuuuuute!

One thing I have to say,

Dogs make you want to write stories but cats make you want to draw.

--------------------

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Cats also make you want to take afternoon naps when don't need to. There's something that happens to you when they snuggle up to your side and purr. Kinda like Tribbles. My cat P.I.T.A. is very good at that.
Cat's are great! Siamese cats are very vocal, so prepare for random conversations in "Cat". My grey and white Tom and Jerry is also very vocal and has trained me so well in catmeow that I'm fluent! [Big Grin]

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
My cat is a feral adoption as well. I skated back to 801 Brand in Glendale from lunch about 7 years ago and this kick-ass social kitten came out of the bushes to say hello and hang out as I set to rest. I went back up-stairs to work and told some of the girls I worked with, they went nuts and set off to get the building security to round them up.

There was 3 of them and I took the mean one no one wanted and called her Cowgirl. I just couldn't stand the idea of her being potentially put to sleep just because she hissed at the idea of being picked up by an animal multiple times her height (Me) and no one wanted her. Hey, I'd hiss too.

She's got a lot of feral in her still, and despite all of the scratches on my hands over the years, I feel kind of proud of the fact that I brought her in. Not only do I feel like I saved her, but I imagine there are countless birds flying around that building today because of those girls I worked with, and our mutual adoption of the litter. As feral cats can be devastating to native bird populations.

It's like Ozzie Davis says in Do the Right Thing, "Always do the right thing". And although my life isn't full of the those moments by far, that was definitely one of them.

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Cute story... http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=56d_1187281372

--------------------

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 8 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I beaned a cat in the face with a lotion bottle as it brought a newly caught morning dove to dine on---OUPN THE HOOD OF MY CAR. I had woken up to a half eaten bird on the hood of my car a week before and I had had enough.
Why can't cats go after rats instead? Perhaps rat's are too smart for them?

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1aa_1187897876 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! I know it's unhealthy for him, but I think the cat's adorable! Big fat Garfy kitty!

Feeding him must be annoying though. Can you imagine how he must be more annoying than an average sized cat when it comes to following you around to house meowing, in order to lead you to his food bowl? UGH! My cat does that now even when his bowl is full because he likes "company" while he eats.
Pain in the padoo!

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012