AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » YouTube facing lawsuit by determined LA riot video rights holder

Author Topic: YouTube facing lawsuit by determined LA riot video rights holder
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Tur has filed suit against YouTube to retain the copyrights of the news footrage he shoots, the most famous of which is the beating of Reginald Denny at the hight opf the LA riots in 1992.

To quote him from the article... "if someone like me doesn't stand up for content creators, we sure as hell can't count on the big corporations to do it for us."

A good read as he accusses YouTube and Google on making a fortune by not creating but by providing a convenient content distribution system that does little to protect the copyrights of content creators.

http://men.msn.com/articlees.aspx?cp-documentid=5146008>1=10215

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Otterslide
IE # 38
Member # 346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Otterslide   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And every time he collects a buck for something like the Reginald Denny beating, how much of a cut does Denny and the beaters get? In my eyes they are every bit as much the "content creators" of that piece as he is. Moreso if you think about it.

I'm just sayin'...

--------------------
Bryon E. Carson, Proprietor
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very valid point. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

--------------------
 -

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't blame the guy for trying to stand up for himself over the rights of his work, but there is a larger concern in this story. YouTube, in my estimation, has mostly gained it's prominence of video distribution via the outright disregard for copyright. It's a brand that has been built on the violation of the law that is no different than Kazza or BitTorrent.

The whole buzz about "User Generated Content" that has mostly been associated with YouTube is kind of bullsh*t. As most of the time I've used the service, as I imagine others have, it's been to view copyrighted content created by professionals, and not users. That's not to say that there isn't anything behind the concept by far, but creating compelling content is a difficult thing, and there's a reason people get paid to do it full-time.

Copyright law is completely dysfunctional with some of the most ridiculous guidelines and amorphous edges. As it's been written via the influence of large corporations in key decisions. And I guess that vagary that has been sought as a way to get out of paying royalties, well, it appears it's come back to haunt 'em.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
What Tobias said. Ditto.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
This ties in (somewhat) with the thread on the proposed (and possible) North American Union, which would reduce the average US citizen's standard of living. A Youtube success in court would reduce the rights of relatively small content producers, reducing their standards of living. The dilution of copyright's power in regard to those without deep pockets could lead to difficulties referenced here:
Orphan Works

Will it all be stolen, until the corps lock it down? Difficult question. As a patron of illicit freebies AND an owner of income-producing IP, I feel the fence wedging its way up my krak...

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012