my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » The Positive Thread

Author Topic: The Positive Thread
Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that we have a habit of being perhaps too cynical and too negative, so I thought it might be nice to have a purely positive thread. This is the thread where you post good stories, fun ideas, "You know what's cool?", talk about your excitement and enthusiasm. Wit is permitted, negativity is not.

Link funny pictures, drawings, movie files, etc. Keep it upbeat & creative! [Smile]

--------------------
-Tom

IP: Logged
gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!
You beat me to it.
I was gonna start a What's Good? thread for just this reason.

Ice Cream's cool.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno know if this is what you're asking for,

Alot of good around. How else could one see whats bad?

I love my lady. She kicks ass....sometimes even mine...hehehehe

I love music, it sparks my imagination and takes me directions I wouldn't go just on my own. I've been blessed to have good friends that play great music and they let me join in with my wanna be ways. Last week we had an improvisational jam that had some pure magical moments, right after each other...and whats super cool is that it was all caught on mini disk. Most of those moments get lost to the wind. but not this time.

I'm working on an art project that allows me to work with many of my illustrator, designer bruthas and sistas. I get to pay them a little sumtin sumtin and introduce them in a new market. I get to be art director, co producer and artist on this new job. who knows how long it will last but I have a good feeling it will last a bit. which makes me very excited and inspired.

I have another gig thats very similar...almost exact except for the end product. I'm starting to see more of my life design. its very motivating.

I'm getting a little better at kick boxing...a little, that sh1t is tough.

I'm reading more again and its easier to metitate.

My family and my friends are healthy and prosperous.

But george bush and company still suck.

[Wink]

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of good in the world.. you only have to open your eyes to see it. For me, I'm very grateful and excited that I get to work creatively. I no longer have to wear a uniform.. punch a time clock.. and I only work through the middle of the night if I choose to. The best thing is I feel appreciated for what I do.

That is just the professional part.. the personal part is very happy and healthy.. heck, I might get a puppy dog soon too!

Any tips on house training a dog?

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to add to the mix with something that I think is positive and good.

This community we enjoy on AN.

I've had some experiences lately which has really made me appreciate the value of what we have here.
Thanks to everyone who's stuck with the site and helped to build it. It's great to come to AN and read your posts, comments, view your art, etc. even though we may not see eye to eye or be in full agreement about issues and topics that might tear other communities apart.

I learn something every time I come to the AN forums. Many times your contributions to the site's content changes my opinion on things or just builds up my general store of knowledge, whether it's in animation or some other subject. You guys have been a terrific group over the years and I sincerely thank you for making this a special and unique place where the industry can communicate on many different levels.

--------------------
 -

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the fact that someone took the time to create such a cool picture

-

--------------------
-Tom

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Now that would make anyone want to hear the Chewbacca backbeat and the Han Solo solo.

Here's something else:

If it does happen, how awesome would this be?
From the press release:
"Bob Ross Inc. has announced in March 2006 that they have filed a letter of intent to license to Joseph Hatcher's AGFRAG Entertainment Group to develop exclusively worldwide video/computer games based on Bob Ross' creative, unique and easy to learn painting techniques and TV show properties.

The Bob Ross video game, currently untitled, is planned to be developed for PC, the Nintendo DS handheld & on Nintendo's next-gen system coming later this year, code named Revolution. Release date was not announced. AGFRAG is currently seeking a publisher.

AGFRAG's Director of Development, Joseph Hatcher, has this to say about the announcement:

"I grew up watching Bob Ross on PBS and was always in awe of how quickly and smoothly he made these beautiful paintings, which helped inspire my creativity. There are generations that know Bob Ross and his painting techniques, and I want to share his talent with future generations in a new medium..."

Rupert Piston
IE # 175
Member # 2875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rupert Piston   Author's Homepage   Email Rupert Piston         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday my son looked at the birds on our roof and said "bird".

Made my day, my week, and my grateful list.

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Positive?

I've been in a wonderful relationship for many years.

I'm having a great deal of laborious fun working on my REPERKUSSIONZ project.

The jobs I'm working on right now through early May will pay my bills through the end of the year and beyond, freeing up more time for my personal project mentioned above.

My car almost never needs repair and gets great gas mileage.

Got a cool new nephew. He's a infant.

I've gotten used to my girlfriend's dog she found in the street and I no longer want to kill it much.

Constantly discovering new technical and procedural things about writing and producing music is massively rewarding.

Dicking around with all these computers is too much fun - which is a good thing, because they frequently need attention. I almost welcome it when something breaks. That may sound crazy.

My audio computer, which had served faithfully every day for four years, melted down two weeks ago in the middle of a job. I had everything backed up on another PC and never missed a beat!

There is too much entertainment to consume. The virgin stack of movies and music grows ever higher, waiting to fill rare spare moments. It's better to have too much than not enough.

The cool video previews at John K's blog from the upcoming "lost episodes" Ren'n'Stimpy DVD are insanely good. Why weren't these shown on SPIKE instead of ONWARD AND UPWARD and FIREDOGS 2?

New SOPRANOS are airing now. New DEADWOODS start soon.

There's lots, lots more but I bored myself already.

Bruce
IE # 1
Member # 36

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bruce   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce         Edit/Delete Post 
If you’ve driven around or bicycled through much of the San Fernando Valley, you probably crossed a couple of what we around here like to call “flood channels.” Essentially, they’re big concrete ditches, gutters really, the result of a massive public works project on the part of the Army Corps of Engineers, built in the 1930s to control periodic flooding in the Valley.

Rainwater (and everything else flowing into the sewers) is rushed away before it can percolate down into our local aquifer and sent speeding down these sluices, eventually emptying into the Pacific Ocean at Long Beach. Every time there’s a big storm, we get a local news story about some doofus being pulled out of one of these suddenly swiftly flowing waterways, ‘cause he got a lit-tle too close to the edge. At most other times, the flow is reduced to a mere trickle.

Another way to think about these channels, however, is to call them what they really are: the Tujunga and Los Angeles River watersheds. That’s right, they were once what other people elsewhere know as creeks, rivers and streams, but they’ve either been buried (and hence have become sewers) or they’ve been channelized. There’s one stretch where the Los Angeles River actually looks like what you’d expect a river to look like, down near Griffith Park, in Dreamworks’ backyard. Everywhere else, it’s a long, fenced-off concrete ditch.

Ah, but we want to dwell on the positives here; so in my neighborhood, just a block or two from where I live, is one of the great secret treasures of Los Angeles – The Great Wall of Los Angeles, a half-mile long mural painted on the west wall of the Tujunga Wash, depicting in a highly unusual selection of imagery the ten thousand year history of the Los Angeles basin and the city that grew up in it. Begun in 1974 and painted in chunks over a period of five summers between 1976 and 1983, the project was the brainchild of artist Judy Baca, working through an organization called the Social and Public Art Resource Center (SPARC). But the artists who painted it were 400 students, many of them from troubled backgrounds and poor neighborhoods, working under her direction.

You can see some photos of what they accomplished here, but really, you should check it out in person sometime. It isn’t in the greatest shape at the moment, but plans are in the works to continue restoration of the first 1000 feet of the mural this summer, with a new batch of students working alongside some of the original artists who labored on it over twenty-five years ago. To me, it’s a source of inspiration, not just for the story it tells, but for the story behind it: the fact that an artist looked at a blank wall of concrete and envisioned it as a colorful panorama of local history. Just goes to show ya.

If you’re in the neighborhood (the Tujunga Wash park runs along the western side of Coldwater Canyon between Burbank and Oxnard Boulevards, to the east of the Valley College parking lot), stop and take a brief stroll along a path through time.

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

This guy has waaaay too much fun

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5417019303200331106

--------------------
-Tom

Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
Positive, eh?

Well let's see-

Our proj. technician came through last week and managed to make it through his trip without finding anything major at our place of employ.

I'm still in pre-pre-production sketches and ideas for the production I'm involved in.

I have the layouts and such for an animatic for my own 3D piece.

A friend has decided to bring me on for a small 'logo' project (which will pay).

I talked to my family in the past couple weeks (which always seems to lift my spirits).

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Positive things I've tried that others might enjoy:

Jojoba oil & Chlorella: Theoretically naturally helping to prevent hair loss and cancer respectively.

Playing Cities & Knights of Catan & other high-strategy/thinking board games w/friends. With good tunes on the stereo. Because though I enjoy computers, movies & video games-

-to give one's eyes a break from a monitor is positive indeed.

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

Jessie
Member # 1722

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jessie   Email Jessie         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy rocks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo&search=while%20my%20guitar%20gently%20weeps
Sharvonique
IE # 252
Member # 3276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharvonique   Author's Homepage   Email Sharvonique         Edit/Delete Post 
CHOCOLATE [tipsy]

--------------------
Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
This doubles up as an easter story too..

About 12 years ago, I was driving to a friend's house, who lived in an old suburb of detroit..

As I was driving down the street.. I saw his grouchy neighbor who lived across the street.. He looks like a WW2 vet. Grouchy.. complains about everything and everybody. He's sitting on his porch chomping down a stub of a cigar.. reading his newspaper..

His next door neighbor, who was just as old, walks up to him.. with a big smile on his face.. and an easter basket hidden behind his back.

The grouchy vet lowered his paper as if to say "What the hell do you want?"

I didn't see what happened next. It was just a glimpse that told a whole story.

If you set Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" to that scene.. you'd have a hallmark greeting.

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

akinney
IE # 167
Member # 3050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for akinney   Email akinney         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog and girlfriend are great. Working with Karl Gnass at oil painting (so I can learn more about color and light) has been great too. You can go to these sites to usually get a great pick-me-up:

www.dailypuppy.com
www.happynews.com
www.cuteoverload.com

I can't get enough of little animals - makes you think that life isn't so bad.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

The world now has dancing robots.
Tis a far cry from jetpack on every back but...enh...it is a two step in the right direction

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
PRT (Precomputed Radiance Transfer)
The Mod
Administrator
Member # 854

Icon 14 posted      Profile for The Mod   Email The Mod         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday was probably the easiest drive down to San Diego I've ever had.
Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
I have lots to be happy about. A wonderful, supportive wife, and our one and three year old. I am active in my church and have many opportunities to serve. I have use of my legs, and sight. I can draw and am confident that I will be working full time in the industry as soon as I am good enough. Cartoons comic books, and video games. Bush is in the white house. Yesterday we went to Disneyland and had the quickest travel time and shortest lines ever. That I am blessed enough to live in America and all of its freedoms. And many more things then I can mention.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caracal   Author's Homepage   Email Caracal         Edit/Delete Post 
Good friends and family who have helped me in the God- Damnedest darkest hours of my life. I wouldn't be standing still but for the compassion of others. Don't know about God but I sure as hell know about the generosity of of my fellow humane beings.

Cheers!!

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

-

--------------------
-Tom

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Kittens.

[Smile]

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Rob Leifeld makes me laugh my @$$ off

Thanks to Ruggels for the link

fixed spelling

[ May 11, 2006, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: The Mod ]

--------------------
-Tom

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
WONDER SHOWZEN!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

-

-

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Caracal- I hear you. No need to curse God, though. After all, this is the positive thread- [biggrin]

After God, close friends and family are about as positive as life gets for me.

You'd be surprised what a person can survive through, though. Even when a rare situation where the people closest to you turn their backs on you and/or betray you.

Positive: The rush of traveling to a city you've never been to. I reccomend NY, DC, Chicago, or Toronto. Just research, stick with crowds, and have a blast.

--------------------
My game art & animation-

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caracal   Author's Homepage   Email Caracal         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff

If you read my post I did not curse God. In fact since I received your email (which I answered politely and respectfully)to join your Christian group I would guess that while I am tolerant of your beliefs and respect them you do not tolerate my not believing as you do. I have not noticed that my aetheistic friends or Christian friends or my Buddhist friends or my friends who attend a Universal Church are any better or worse than anyone else. They are my friends and family and they mean more to me than any religion. This isn't really the proper forum for a discussion like this but stop trying to impose your beliefs on me.

Cheers

Mel Allen Sink
IE # 236
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mel Allen Sink   Author's Homepage   Email Mel Allen Sink         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me more about this Wonder Showzen....

Oh yeah:
I'm not in High School any more
Googie
Nuclear Power
Space Flight
Studebakers
Apple Macintosh
Internet
Diesel Engines
Tube Electronics
Instrumental Surf Music
'70s New Wave
Noise Bands
Small Press Comics > [Smile]
Allis Chalmers
Model Rockets
Mean little runty black cats and the big fat wimpy tabbies that they beat up
Honda
Flying Wings
The Cartoons that we grew up with
DBCS994
Seeing a spectacularly busty or zaftig female at the store, park, mall, fair, etc....
Getting a 90.9% on the "Unpassable Test"....
I sold my white elephant of a house that I don't live in anymore....

--------------------
http://melallensink.blogspot.com

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Caracal. You're right. I didn't mean to impose. Sorry.

When you said God- Damn, and you didn't know about God, I thought you were hinting at something. Like you wanted a response. My error.

Random positive things:

Moving to a better apt./city/neighborhood.

Balto
[biggrin]

--------------------
My game art & animation-

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Thanks Jeff

Now I understand. Thanks for your response

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012