AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Cartoon Network to produce live-action television series

Author Topic: Cartoon Network to produce live-action television series
Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
And thank God too, because obviously it isn't the story or characters that are responsible, but the medium in which they are presented. All this time we had it backwards! Kudos to the executives for showing artists the error of their ways.

-----

The New Non-Toon Cartoon Network

Cartoon Network has an innovative solution for boosting its sagging ratings. Producing better cartoons? Nope. Producing non-cartoons. The network announced last week it has begun taking pitches for live-action programming and hired Ramsey Naito as VP of long-form development.

Only problem: Networks that significantly alter their programming or format run the risk of angering cable operators for deviating from their agreed-upon programming mission. "This is going to be a problem," said cable distribution consultant Cathy Rasenberger. "To add live action to a network that's defined by cartoons may be impossible to do given the content restrictions in their agreements. Allowing this is totally up to the operators. It just sounds like a major deviation."

But cable operators were split on whether such changes could cause a conflict. "We always closely watch what programmers do, especially if they make changes that take them away from how they sold us the service," said David Grabert, spokesman for Cox. "This is the first we've heard of these plans, but if we feel like they're going too far, we'll let them know."

A spokesperson for another multiple system operator said Cartoon shouldn't worry.

"Their contract with us doesn't stipulate against live action," the spokesperson said. "As long as the change doesn't alter the spirit of the channel, they're fine."

The Mostly Cartoon Network did not return a call for comment by press time. -James Hibberd

Source: TV Week

IP: Logged
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
ADULT SWIM is threatening to do that, I think - unless it's a joke. I just saw an ad on SWIM for something that looked like a really accurate parody of an 80s live-action show with kids singing awful music. The commercial claims this show will run for two weeks in April at midnight. If it's true, it sucks.
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
teh lam5z0rz

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
What? I don't speak L33t.
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
o rly?

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny.. that's how it happened at MTV.. first a reality show.. now there are NO music videos on MTV.

I miss music videos... IMO some of the most innovating directing and imagery came from them.

Mtv should be called "The people I want to hit in the head with a shovel" channel.. because whenever I watch it, that's what I want to do.

Empty-V having reality shows and Cartoon Network having live action is like Hooters having males waitresses.

It's wrong.. IT' WRONG!

Pick a Theme, and stick with it! Sheesh!  -

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Chris Roman
IE # 223
Member # 551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Roman   Email Chris Roman         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Space Ghost Coast to Coast a live-action/animation hybrid? They did that on Cartoon Network and it didn't corrupt the brand.

Of course, if they start doing stuff like Lizzie McGuire...

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

ADULT SWIM just showed a promo bumper for live-action programming I can live with:

Starting in July, PEE WEE'S PLAYHOUSE reruns.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Those sneaky bastards!! They are using Pee Wee Herman like a gateway drug!!

Sure everyone likes Pee Wee.. so while our defenses are down.. WHAM! "Saved by the Bell"!!!!!!!

It's Wrong!!! IT'S WRONG!!!!!

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012