AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Will certain cartoonist be targeted for death now. (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Will certain cartoonist be targeted for death now.
Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the impression that you do/say/write/draw anything disparaging against these people, they will hunt you down and kill you. As evident at what is happening in Europe at the moment. Its already happened to Salman Rushdie (writer), Theo van Gogh (filmmaker), & now the cartoonists of the Danish newspaper, Jyllands-Posten. Where there have been bounties levied against the lives of their artists.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4670370.stm

-

--------------------
-Tom

IP: Logged
pud
IE # 30
Member # 245

Icon 3 posted      Profile for pud   Author's Homepage   Email pud         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the artform of political cartoons, I wonder if, while growing up, the artists teachers ever imagined that the goofy kid doodling in his/her books would one day create such an international uproar.

Here's a link to the cartoons causing the trouble:

http://www.muslimparody.com/Danish.html

--------------------
" Your Scenes are there forever." - Ollie Johnston
http://markpudleiner.blogspot.com/

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
And in English..
http://islamcomicbook.com/comics/english/index.htm

I'm sorry.. but if you need to KILL someone for goofing on your religious beliefs, then you are in some serious need of heavy medication.

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose in a macabre sort of way, it is good to known for your work.

--------------------
-Tom

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
All this uproar because of a cartoon! A sense of humor is hard to come by in that particular community isn't it?

Phooey.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an excellent site if you want to follow what's happening with Islam and the turmoil that fundamentalists are stirring within their own faith.

http://www.faithfreedom.org

It's helpful if you have a knowledge of the Koran and the life of Mohammed. Easier to follow the arguements presented therein. If not it's still an outstanding source of information.

--------------------
 -

LeftyMcKay
IE # 168
Member # 2558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeftyMcKay   Author's Homepage   Email LeftyMcKay         Edit/Delete Post 
The plot thickens...

Fabricated cartoons worsened Danish controversy

--------------------
 -

q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad I live in the USA

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

pud
IE # 30
Member # 245

Icon 4 posted      Profile for pud   Author's Homepage   Email pud         Edit/Delete Post 
just don't burn the flag!

--------------------
" Your Scenes are there forever." - Ollie Johnston
http://markpudleiner.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
...or draw "obscene" material. [Frown]

--------------------
 -

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad we figured out what is "obscene"
Now we should define what is "Stressfull" and what is "Annoying" and what is "Happiness"

[Gary] [Gary] [Gary] [Gary] [Gary]

--------------------

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
US media shy away from reproducing Mohammed cartoons Fri Feb 3, 10:17 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The US media has so far largely shied away from reproducing controversial cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed carried in several European newspapers, citing the potentially offensive nature of the drawings.

Editors contacted at several news organizations throughout the country said they were covering the escalating row over the cartoons but had generally decided not to reprint them or air them on television out of respect for their readers or viewers.

"If I were faced with something that I know is gonna be offensive to many of our readers, I would think twice about whether the benefit of publication outweighed the offense it might give," Fred Hiatt, editorial page editor at the Washington Post, told AFP.

Keith Richburg, the paper's foreign editor, said he had ruled out running the cartoons, even to better illustrate news articles about the row, as they would likely offend readers.

"This is a clear example where people would find those offensive so we don't see any particular reason to do it just for shock value," he said.

Hiatt and Richburg said the paper had also ruled out running the cartoons -- as several European newspapers have done -- to defend the right to free speech and in solidarity with the Danish newspaper that first published them. The drawings have sparked violent protests and boycotts of Danish products across the Muslim world.

One of the cartoons shows the Muslim prophet wearing a headdress shaped like a bomb, while another shows him saying that paradise is running out of virgins for suicide bombers.

The Islamic religion bans depictions of Mohammed.

Peter Gavrilovich, foreign editor of the daily Detroit Free Press in the state of Michigan, which has one of the largest Arab communities outside the Middle East, said it was out of the question for his paper to reprint the cartoons, either to illustrate the story or to show solidarity with counterparts in Europe.

"I don't think we would run a cartoon in this newspaper that would be deemed offensive to any religious figure," Gavrilovich told AFP. "We're very careful in terms of any photo or any caricature that we run."

Maria Henson, deputy foreign editor at the Sacramento Bee in California, said her publication had not yet decided whether to reprint the cartoons and was planning to run an editorial on the issue this weekend.

The New York Times declined to comment for this article.

CNN television on Thursday showed copies of European newspapers that have printed the cartoons but blocked out the images of Mohammed saying it did not wish to offend viewers.

The television network ABC for its part showed a copy of a French newspaper with one of the cartoons clearly visible. The drawing depicts God speaking with the prophet and telling him: "Stop complaining Mohammed. We've all been caricatured."

The NBC network also gave coverage to the uproar but said it had decided against airing the cartoons, which were nonetheless available on the network's website.

One editorial, written by a syndicated columnist and carried Thursday in several newspapers, defended the cartoons as a form of free expression.

"Until Muslim nations ans peoples get the idea that free expression means freedom to offend as well as the necessary correlative -- to be offended -- we have a problem," the editorial, written by Kathleen Parker, said.

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it seems that Islamic peoples in regions accross the pond, have proven the cartoonists right after all. With all their current outbursts of violent behavior and carrying on. Damn fools... I'm curious as to wether that belief system has an equivolent of the golden rules.

--------------------
-Tom

Rupert Piston
IE # 175
Member # 2875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rupert Piston   Author's Homepage   Email Rupert Piston         Edit/Delete Post 
From the article about the guy with the obscenity conviction:
quote:
They agreed that his work "lacked serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value" because it did not compare to such works as "The Grapes of Wrath" or Picasso's "Guernica."
Didn't Grapes of Wrath face (and still faces today) fights to have it removed from reading lists and libraries over the enactment of the "milk of human kindness"? I haven't seen it, but it could be that the guy's work is gonna be viewed as pivotal and stellar in a few years, considering some of the greats in art and literature were seen as sick and messed up in their time. Not true of Steinbeck, but he didn't have it all easy, either...
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The last I heard, the right of Americans to burn the American flag has been upheld and protected by the US Supreme Court. And although it is revered by many in this country, it is not a religious symbol.

Also, the worst that an artist can expect from violating obsenity laws in the US are some time in court, a fine, maybe a probationary period, some flap from conservatives and a legal bill. There's been plenty of insensitive, disrespectful depictions concerning the Christian faith by artists in the west. The most recent that I experienced was on Cartoon Network broadcast late at night a week or two ago. You frequently see it on shows like South Park, but the artists don't have to worry about being beheaded or having their drawing hands cut off or being embraced by a suicide bomber.

A poll at MSNBC.com has had nearly 110,000 responses so far to the following question.

"Are Muslims justified in staging worldwide protests over cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad?"

Results:

Yes - 15%
No - 82%
Don't know - 4%

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11097877/

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Also, according to the Islamic faith, it is inappropriate to depict the likeness of any prophet. We should be seeing protests like these for any depiction of Jesus on the cross or Moses with the Ten Commandments, but we don't. Only when it comes to Mohammed.

Last night on the evening news, they were showing a Muslim, his faced wrapped in a turban, holding an AK-47 and reading a prepared statement calling on Denmark to officially apologize within 48 hours or else.

It ain't worth going to war over, man. Wish these people would lighten up.

--------------------
 -

BobV
IE # 119
Member # 392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobV           Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off-topic...

quote:
A poll at MSNBC.com has had nearly 110,000 responses so far...

Results:

Yes - 15%
No - 82%
Don't know - 4%

This was obviously a voluntary, phone-in poll. Why would someone go to the trouble of calling up, just to say they don't know? [freak]
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

It's an Internet poll that is not scientific, but I would guess that it's accurate in reflecting the attitudes of most rational people who don't see offensive cartoons as a justifiable reason for Jihad or as an excuse for more terrorism in the name of God.

--------------------
 -

StephG
IE # 11
Member # 222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StephG   Email StephG         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically this shows a very basic incompatibility between the current state of Islam being practiced around the world, and Western culture. It also shows why democracy or even republicanism (as we have in the US, and I'm not talking about the Republican party) simply can't work.

That isn't to say that all Muslims are equally radicalized. I'm sure there are a large number that can shrug at some things and even get the idea that freedom of speech especially applies to speech that is offensive.

Islam is both a religion and a political movement. Unlike in the West, where the governments are legally secular. For most middle eastern Islamic countries, you can't separate criticism of the politics from the religion, and the violent threats over the cartoons are proof of the problems that some of the cartoons were highlighting.

The implications of hightened stress between our cultures are frightening. It's the stuff World Wars are made of.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

All the publicity surrounding these comics is REALLY tempting me.. tee hee hee.
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

I'm glad there are so many level headed people over there..

-
 -
 -
SOURCE: http://www.michellemalkin.com/
Coo. Coo.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

-
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Here's an image of pious Muslims defending the faith from the infidel cartoonists. Palestinian gunmen stand in front of the French cultural center after closing it down in the West Bank town of Nablus Thursday Feb. 2, 2006. There was also a temporary kidnapping of a German citizen who of course had nothing to do with the controversary but that matters not. He was an infidel.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Here's another interesting photo. The sign reads "Blasphemy is a sign of western terrorism." Yes, I see the correlation. Cartoons kill. Just like a body bomb packed full of TNT, ball bearings and nails, detonated in the middle of a crowd of innocent people so that a Muslim martyr can go to heaven and get his share of virgins.

-

The caption from this photo reads, "Hundreds of Morrocan Muslims protest against the Danish and Swedish publication of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad, in front of the Parliament in Rabat, Morroco, Friday, Feb. 3, 2006. Incensed Muslims filled squares and streets across the Middle East on Friday to condemn Europe's publication of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad, trampling and burning Danish flags, and even calling on al-Qaida to carry out revenge attacks."

I didn't realize that al-Qaida was training cartoonists. Well, when you're fully committed to terror, I guess you need to cover all your bases.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Freedom of expression in the western world. Let's thank God for it.

Here's the captions from a few more signs held aloft by devote Muslim protesters in London from the site that Offbeat referred to above.

"Freedom go to hell"

"Be prepared for the real Holocaust"

"Europe you will pay. Demolition is on its way"

"Butcher those who mock Islam"

Plus a few other sentiments that perhaps show some moderation and common sense. Slogans like...

"As Muslims we are united and prepared to fight"

http://www.michellemalkin.com/

--------------------
 -

Rupert Piston
IE # 175
Member # 2875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rupert Piston   Author's Homepage   Email Rupert Piston         Edit/Delete Post 
The Christian right had a pretty hard core attitude back in the crusades. 'Course, with seven hundred years more practice, they've learned how to be political about it without directly killing anyone.

This is not meant as a poke at religious Christians, just a bit of comparitive religions and the seven hundred years between the birth of the two religions. Do with it what you want. Your mind is free.

IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Freedom of expression in the western world. Let's thank God for it.
I do thank God for it, but I can't take it for granted. [Frown]

I renew my membership to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund every year. The CBLDF defends artists and comic shop owners whenever the government seizes parody comics or a comic shop owner gets arrested for selling adult comics to an adult.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Rupert, who really started the fight my friend? The armies of Mohammed marched across North Africa right after his death, swept through Spain and were halfway across France before they were stopped by the armies of the Franks lead by Charles Martel in the 8th century.

How do you think Jerusalem was occupied by Islam? Some kindly religious people knocking on the gates of the city and converting the inhabitants to their beliefs by virtue of their spiritual example? It was with an army.

In his lifetime, Muhammed chopped off the heads of hundreds of people. Jews who didn't believe he was a prophet. He had his followers turn from Jerusalem and faced Mecca to pray as a result.

This is Islamic history by the way, and not meant as an insult to anyone so please don't go and kill people over it. Thanks and salam aleikum.

Imagine. We're going to World War 3 1/2 because of newspaper cartoons.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Does Allah enjoy the shedding of blood over cartoons? And if he were here with us in this situation...

What Would Mohammed Do?

How do you best fight a war over religion? With education in part, that's what I say.

Here are some facts about the life of Mohammed.

He had numerous wives. I believe it was 14 in number. His last wife he married when he was in his early 50s. She was 6 years old and still playing with dolls. He waited until she was 9 to consumate the marriage.

He died in her arms when she was a teenager, asking Allah for pardon from his sins. Evidently he felt a need to ask God for forgiveness at the time of his death.

Mohammed never performed a miracle. The closest thing to it was when he had a dream in which he was in Jerusalem at the Temple Mount, and he ascended to Heaven upon a winged horse. Otherwise, there is no record of him ever setting foot in that city.

The Kabba in Mecca was full of idolotrous statues of false dietys which were worshiped by the Arabs. He cleansed the Kabba when he marched into Mecca with an army of about 15,000 unopposed. He smashed the stone statues but left a meteorite to be worshiped.

Here's some Islamic theology.

Islam believes in Jesus as the Messiah and his virgin birth from Mary, or Miriam as she's called in the Koran, and that Jesus spoke the day of his birth. But he was not really crucified. He was taken to Heaven prior to his execution and that some sort of illusion of Jesus was nailed to the cross instead.

Muslims believe that Jesus will come again.

The Koran, or Quran, or Q'uran, means "Recitation". It's the collection of writings of what was spoken to Mohammed through the Archangel Gabriel over the course of several years.

The Koran claims that Jesus was the confirmation of Moses and that Mohammed was the confirmation of Jesus.

Muslims do not believe that Abraham offered up Isaac to be sacrificed as it is related in the Bible. They believe that it was Ishmael, his older brother.

In the Koran, Muslim believers are admonished to respect the Jewish and Christian faiths and that Jews and Christians were to be left alone to worship God in their way as long as they payed the tax, which was routinely a much higher one than what a Muslim would pay.

It is a sin to eat pork. It is also a sin to drink alcoholic beverages.

A Muslim man may have as many as 4 wives if he can afford them and if he treats each one with equality.

The word Islam is translated as "surrender". That's how you get peace. Surrender to the will of God and the Messenger, or Apostle of God, Mohammed.

Muslims are required to pray 5 times a day at set times during the day.

Ramadan is the month whereby the observance of the Koran being revealed to Mohammed is conducted. Because the Muslim faith is based upon a lunar calendar, the time of Ramadan moves slightly from year to year.

If you really want to fight Islamic extremism, the best way to do it is with education and good security procedures. Read the Koran and study the facts about the life of Mohammed. I think the reading of the Koran should be required of anyone working in the US government having anything to do with Islamic nations. Including the armed forces and yes, even cartoonists.

--------------------
 -

StephG
IE # 11
Member # 222

I have to wonder what 2nd or 3rd generation American Muslims think of this sort of thing?
StephG
IE # 11
Member # 222

Oh yeah, think about the implications of this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11170234/

The Cold War gave us a really itchy trigger finger on "The Button".

Fasty
IE # 97
Member # 2124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fasty   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is no laughing matter... well maybe it started out as one but has since lost its way, but...

quote:

I didn't realize that al-Qaida was training cartoonists. Well, when you're fully committed to terror, I guess you need to cover all your bases.

This had me in stitches for a good 2 minutes! There's your cartoon, Offbeat!
Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ravenshoe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't realize that al-Qaida was training cartoonists.
Then how do you account for "Nancy & Sluggo"? Pure evil.
Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ravenshoe           Edit/Delete Post 
EVIL IS AS EVIL DOES [Gary]
Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
Al-Qaida training cartoonists? Heh, if they tried anything like what the Danish guy tried, our country wouldn't care. So far, all the political cartoonists who have taken stabs at Bush have gone untouched (or so I'm led to believe).

I figured if anyone insulted our state of minds in the US, we'd probably brush them off like Fry in that one episode of Futurama:

Bender: Ok Fry, get ready for this one-because there's no god, and your pitiful human ideals are laughable! HAHAHAHA!

Fry: Whew, that's a load off my mind.

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article tracing the history and repercussions of the cartoons:

How cartoons fanned flames of Muslim rage

--------------------
 -

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

This is getting out of hand...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060205/ap_on_re_mi_ea/prophet_drawings

Syrians Torch Embassies Over Caricatures
By ALBERT AJI, Associated Press Writer

DAMASCUS, Syria - Thousands of Syrians enraged by caricatures of Islam's revered prophet torched the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Damascus on Saturday — the most violent in days of furious protests by Muslims in Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

In Gaza, Palestinians marched through the streets, storming European buildings and burning German and Danish flags. Protesters smashed the windows of the German cultural center and threw stones at the
European Commission building, police said.

Iraqis rallying by the hundreds demanded an apology from the
European Union, and the leader of the Palestinian group Hamas called the cartoons "an unforgivable insult" that merited punishment by death.

Pakistan summoned the envoys of nine Western countries in protest, and even Europeans took to the streets in Denmark and Britain to voice their anger.

At the heart of the protest: 12 caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad first published in Denmark's Jyllands-Posten in September and reprinted in European media in the past week. One depicted the prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb with a burning fuse. The paper said it had asked cartoonists to draw the pictures because the media was practicing self-censorship when it came to Muslim issues.

The drawings have touched a raw nerve in part because Islamic law is interpreted to forbid any depictions of the Prophet Muhammad.

Aggravating the affront, Denmark's Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen has said repeatedly he cannot apologize for his country's free press. But other European leaders tried Saturday to calm the storm.

Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel said she understood Muslims were hurt — though that did not justify violence.

"Freedom of the press is one of the great assets as a component of democracy, but we also have the value and asset of freedom of religion," Merkel told an international security conference in Munich, Germany.

The
Vatican deplored the violence but said certain provocative forms of criticism were unacceptable.

"The right to freedom of thought and expression ... cannot entail the right to offend the religious sentiment of believers," the Vatican said in its first statement on the controversy.

The United States called the burnings "inexcusable" and blamed the Syrian government for security failures.

"
Syria must act decisively to protect all foreign embassies and citizens in Damascus from attack," White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said in a statement. "We will hold Syria responsible for such violent demonstrations since they do not take place in that country without government knowledge and support."

But Denmark and Norway did not wait for more violence.

With their Damascus embassies up in flames, the foreign ministries advised their citizens to leave Syria without delay.

"It's horrible and totally unacceptable," Danish Foreign Minister Per Stig Moeller said on Danish public television Saturday.

No diplomats were injured in the Syrian violence, officials said. But Swedish Foreign Minister Laila Freivalds — whose country, along with Chile, has an embassy in the same building — said she would lodge a formal protest over the lack of security.

In Santiago, the Chilean Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the Chilean Embassy in Damascus was also torched but nobody was injured.

The demonstrations in Damascus began peacefully with protesters gathering outside the building housing the Danish Embassy. But they began throwing stones and eventually broke through police barricades. Some scrambled up concrete barriers protecting the embassy, climbed into the building and set a fire.

"With our blood and souls we defend you, O Prophet of God!" the demonstrators chanted. Some removed the Danish flag and replaced it with a green flag printed with the words: "There is no god but God and Muhammad is the messenger of God."

Demonstrators moved onto the Norwegian Embassy about 4 miles away, also setting fire to it before being dispersed by police using tear gas and water cannons. Hundreds of police and troops barricaded the road leading to the French Embassy, but protesters were able to break through briefly before fleeing from the force of water cannons.

Amid the furor, Syria's Grand Mufti urged calm, noting the demonstration had started in a "nice and disciplined way," but then turned violent because of "some members who do not understand the language of dialogue."

"We never expressed our anger in such a way, and we believe that dialogue should be done through guidance and teaching, not through killing, harming and burning," Sheik Ahmed Badr-Eddine Hassoun said in remarks carried by state-run Syrian Arab News Agency, or SANA.

In Gaza, masked gunmen affiliated with the
Fatah Party called on the
Palestinian Authority and Muslim nations to recall their diplomatic missions from Denmark until the government apologizes.

In the
West Bank town of Hebron, about 50 Palestinians marched to the headquarters of the international observer mission there, burned a Danish flag and demanded a boycott of Danish goods.

"We will redeem our prophet Muhammad with our blood!" they chanted.

Mahmoud Zahar, leader of the militant Palestinian group Hamas, told the Italian daily Il Giornale the cartoonists should be punished by death.

We should have killed all those who offend the Prophet and instead here we are, protesting peacefully." he said.

Hundreds of Iraqis rallied south of Baghdad, some carrying banners urging "honest people all over the world to condemn this act" and demanding an EU apology.

Anger swelled in Europe, too. Young Muslims clashed briefly with police in Copenhagen, the Danish capital, and some 700 people rallied outside the Danish Embassy in London.

A South African court banned the country's Sunday newspapers from reprinting the cartoons.

Iran's president ordered his commerce minister to study canceling all trade contracts with European countries whose newspapers have published the caricatures, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the caricatures showed the "impudence and rudeness" of Western newspapers against the prophet as well as the "maximum resentment of the Zionists (Jews) ruling these countries against Islam and Muslims."

The leaders of Indonesia, Malaysia and Pakistan denounced the publication of the caricatures. Pakistan's Foreign Ministry summoned nine envoys to lodge protests against the publication of the "blasphemous" sketches.

Thousands of outraged Syrians protesting offensive caricatures of Islam's prophet torch the Danish Embassy in Damascus on Saturday Feb. 4, 2006. Police fired tear gas and water cannons to disperse demonstrators who crowded outside the Norwegian Embassy after earlier setting fire to the Danish Embassy, about six kilometers (four miles) away. (AP Photo Bassem Tellawi).

--------------------

blue eyes
Member # 259

Icon 4 posted      Profile for blue eyes           Edit/Delete Post 
and this:

Danish cartoonists fear for their lives
From Anthony Browne in Brussels

TWELVE Danish cartoonists whose pictures sparked such outcry have gone into hiding under round-the-clock protection, fearing for their lives.

The cartoonists, many of whom had reservations about the pictures, have been shocked by how the affair has escalated into a global “clash of civilisations”. They have since tried, unsuccessfully, to stop them being reprinted.

A spokesman for the cartoonists said: “They are in hiding around Denmark. Some of them are really, really scared. They don’t want to see the pictures reprinted all over the world. We couldn’t stop it. We tried, but we couldn’t.”

Mogens Blicher Bjerregaard, president of the Danish Union of Journalists, told The Times: “They are keeping a very low profile. They are very concerned about their safety. They feel a big responsibility on their shoulders. It’s blown up so big. It is tough for them.”

The cartoonists’ names were originally printed in the Danish paper Jyllands-Posten. Flemming Rose, the paper’s cultural editor, invited 25 newspaper cartoonists to draw a picture of Muhammad “how they saw him”, after a children’s author complained that cartoonists would only dare illustrate a book he was writing on the life of Muhammad if they could be anonymous. Twelve cartoonists responded, had their pictures printed in September, and were paid 800 Danish krone (£73) each.

In an interview with a Swedish newspaper this week, some of the cartoonists expressed their doubts about the entire episode. “It felt a little like a lose-lose situation. If I said no, I was a coward who contributes to self-censorship. If I said yes, I became an irresponsible hate monger against Islam,” one of the cartoonists said.

Another said: “I was actually angry when I first received the letter [from Jyllands-Posten]. I thought it was a really bad idea. At first I didn’t want to participate, but then I talked it over with some friends from the Middle East, and they thought I should do it.”

The cartoonists come from a variety of different political backgrounds, which is reflected in their work. While some of the pictures satirise Muhammad, others attack populist right-wing politicians and even Jyllands-Posten itself, which is rightwing.

Having failed to stop the cartoons being reprinted across Europe, the cartoonists have now decided to use all the money raised from the sales of the pictures to set up a foundation which will award an annual international prize for press freedom.

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
And god said, "Why did I ever give them opposable thumbs?".

While it may be simplistic and too far reaching as a cause for some maybe; but as the gap gets wider between the rich and the poor, the educated and the uneducated, the developed and the undeveloped, we can only expect more of this type of thing. Soon enough people will be rioting over a certain class of people breathing too loudly. All the while never addressing the real issue of inequality at the heart of the problem.

Yeah, let's blame the anger on a cartoon. That'll work for today. Anything but the uncomfortable truth.

Corn Fed
Member # 1085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corn Fed   Email Corn Fed         Edit/Delete Post 
All religions are equally man-made. To see these fanatical Muslims getting this hysterical over a bit of theological legalese is truly sad, and a reminder that these cultures are still steeped in the values of the Middle Ages. Frankly, they make our Christian fundamentalist wackos look like hippy Woodstock peaceniks by comparison.

With hope, maybe in 300-400 years, they might be ready for democracy.

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012