AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » STAY OUT OF SCHOOL (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: STAY OUT OF SCHOOL
Reg Hartt
IE # 249
Member # 3253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reg Hartt   Email Reg Hartt         Edit/Delete Post 
MAXINE SCHACKER

Some years ago in 1997 a local rep cinema invited me to do a presentation. I decided to do Lon Chaney in THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925) and Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS.

I have created unique scores for both films. With the Phantom, I chose to show the girl as the monster. After all, she is a shallow little thing quite content to dump her old boy friend for The Phantom until she sees the face behind the mask. Then it is "Good-bye honey and I am keeping the money." In other words, she is a whore.

For METROPOLIS I developed a score that makes use of classical, modern and industrial music. METROPOLIS is an expressionist film. The score I created is an expressionist score.

With both films I give in-depth introductions. Judith Merril, the mother of modern science fiction and a very close friend and mentor, had died that year. I dedicated the screening to her memory.

The screening of THE PHANTOM went well.

The screening of METROPOLIS never happened.

I walked up to begin the presentation when a woman in the front row, whom I later discovered was Maxine Schacker of the MAX THE MUTT ANIMATION SCHOOL, said, "I came to see a silent film." "So did I," said her friend. "So did we," said the rest of the people in the theatre.

"You mean you are not interested in what I have brought to the table?"

"No," said the audience.

"Fine, then I will go home," I said. They laughed at how easily they had triumphed over me.

I walked out. The print was my print. The projector was my projector. The sound system was my sound system. When I everything else left.

Now you, as fans, probably think that what I did was wrong.

But it was not wrong.

It was the most right thing I could do.

Here is another fellow who shook things up...

"One of my childhood's dreams of doing a mainstream comic came to fruition in 2002. Around Christmas 2001, I received an email from DC editor, Matt Idelson. Matt wrote that he was a fan of my work and asked me if I'd consider doing a project for DC. After some reflection, I decided that I could do something really cool with Batman. There are many iconic qualities about his universe; the Bat-symbol, Gotham City, the Batcave and Batman himself. When I thought about all the possibilities, it put a big grin on my face. So, I wrote back and told him I'd like to do a full color 32 page story (which ended up expanding to 40 pages) with the Dark Knight. I asked him to let me write, pencil, ink, color and letter the whole thing, warning him that this would be a most different and outrageous version of the character. In a vote of confidence, Matt agreed.

The story entitled Batman: Spore was serialized in Detective Comics #776-#780 and was very controversial with the Batman fans. It definitely ruffled some feathers."

Continued at http://groups.google.ca/group/RegHarttSpeaks

IP: Logged
Fooksie
IE # 239
Member # 331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fooksie   Author's Homepage   Email Fooksie         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought those comics from Michel, signed , at a convention here in Atlanta a few years aog.
What struck me as curious is that DC sought him out
for his unique vision, and when they received the finished work, they were upset by it.
I still think his take on Batman is amazing!

--------------------
" Every move a picture! "
Buddy Love

Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ravenshoe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I walked out. The print was my print. The projector was my projector. The sound system was my sound system. When I left everything else left.

Which explains why your screenings play to empty houses. If you want an audience, you have to acknowledge the audience. If you advertise a silent movie, give them a silent movie.

If a tree falls in an empty forest, does it make a sound? Obviously yes, but if no one's there to hear it, does it matter?

Mel Allen Sink
IE # 236
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mel Allen Sink   Author's Homepage   Email Mel Allen Sink         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you won't play the game my way, I'm taking my ball and going home!" [Wink]

--------------------
http://melallensink.blogspot.com

Mel Allen Sink
IE # 236
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mel Allen Sink   Author's Homepage   Email Mel Allen Sink         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am here for the kids like John Kricfalusi who are told by their teachers, "You have no talent. You are a bad influence. We are kicking you out."
You want to embrace this 45 y.o. former kid about 20-30 years later?

quote:
When I brought Bob Clampett to Toronto for three days in the summer of 1979 I had to deal with local fans who whined the event was too expensive and told people I would not be able to do it so don't buy tickets.
At least I'm not alone in having trouble with local fans not necessarily treating me right.... [Gary]

quote:
I later discovered was Maxine Schacker of the MAX THE MUTT ANIMATION SCHOOL
Please explain the context of this to this outsider.

--------------------
http://melallensink.blogspot.com

Mod Too
Member # 2800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mod Too           Edit/Delete Post 
Line by line responses are not permitted. Read the Rules of Conduct. To avoid having topic getting personal, closing thread.

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012