AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Hurricane Katrina... (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina...
StephG
IE # 11
Member # 222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StephG   Email StephG         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that's not far from the truth of a part of this catastrophe. The mayor of NO had to consult with the city attorney to find out what the liability ramifications were of ordering total evacuation.

He was worried that the hotel and tourist industry would sue if a major catastrophe didn't hit the city.

I don't buy that as a reason for the problems. I think the problems arose because there wasn't enough urgency to take immediate action. Again, if Bush had cancelled his vacation, I think his staff and their staff would have realized that if the boss cancelled his vacation, it must be really important and they'd better jump to it.

Since he took his time getting back to work, they took their time getting to work. I know I tend to work a lot harder and longer when my boss is working 6 or 7 day, 80 hour weeks.

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Truman had a plackard on his desk in the Oval Office when he was president. It read, "The Buck Stops Here." For our friends who aren't entirely familiar with American slang, it's a way of saying that he assumes ultimate responsibility. Wish we could see that spirit in our leaders today.

The rage against the machine continues as well it should.

The Rebellion of the Talking Heads

Newscasters, sick of official lies and stonewalling, finally start snarling.

Here's the link:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2125581/

--------------------
 -

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that you have to get mad, you have to go to your window, stick your head out and yell.. "I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!"

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
I think i'm the king of "I-told-you-so's" around here. Especially when it comes to Bush sucking as a president. (and movies not being good before they are released)

(Back a page or two) The mayor was playing the race card. And normally I loathe that type of tactic. It's not as if white people are impenatratable to hurricanes. But I also know that nothing moves white politicians into action faster than being called a racist. lol!

So, I say whatever it takes to get those people help.. do it!!!
[help] [help] [help]

But this isn't about race.. it's about Americans.. period. Fellow Americans need help now (we're.. 6 days behind, and counting..)

Now isn't a time for politics.. Now is a time
to focus on giving help. Either give or help.
[help]

We can talk about what a ****** President Bush is in a month or so. [Wink] -wink!
[cheers]

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The mayor was playing the race card.
I recall the the mayor being frustated, angry, and ticked off for federal help not showing up. I don't recall hearing him mentioning race. Mybe I missed something? [Confused]

Or you maybe you are reffering to Kayne West's comments?

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
No I say we talk about Bush now. Because as I've noticed people in america seem to have really short memories. Let's not let anybody get away with this, because people have and are suffering because of their lack of leadership and poor decision-making.

They will not get away with treating their own people this way. I don't care what any of the right-wing nuts say, they have to take their part of the blame.

Vincent
Member # 2369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent   Email Vincent         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to politely disagree.
I have given, and it IS time to, as Bush put it, "point accusations".
I'm tired of being polite until the right wing lie machine gets fully geared up with it's disassembling of the facts. Little things, like saying the Governor didn't ask for help until Wed. When facts show that she asked for help on the Friday before the storm hit. Little GIANT lies that if no one stands up and hangs a sign on it as false becomes accepted through out this country as a fact.
It's time to stand up and point out that King has no close.
The MF'er is naked, incompetent, and pretty much heartless.
The term Tell me who you walk with and I'll tell you who are is very appropriate in the case George W Bush.
As well as Deeds not words reveal the man.

Vincent
Member # 2369

of course I meant No Clothes.
Pity the child from Texas, phonics absolutely fails us. [Big Grin]

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
The President's approval ratings were at an all time low for him prior to the storm. He's under intense pressure from every angle, the media, his own party. There's no need for a Bush bash here. It's counter productive on the boards.

It was reported today in the evening news that 30 bodies of elderly people in a nursing home were discovered, apparently abandoned by their caretakers as the hurricane ravaged the city. Also, 100 bodies were discovered in a dockside warehouse. The carnage may be severe. It was reported that 25,000 body bags have been ordered just to be safe.

They also reported that it appears as much as $2 billion (I think that's what they said, in any case a lot of money) may have come to New Orleans for levee upkeep recently but only $1.2 million was actually used. The rest appears to have been spent on Super Dome renovations and other municipal things.

Lots of blame to go around on this one.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
lots of blame for sure.

and Thomas, for the record I don't support any of those political structures.like Grocho said, i would joinf any club that would have me as a member..or sumtin like that. I sunscribe to what works even if its pieces of all things.

I posted that article cuz i thought it was an interesting way to look at things. I agree with you about the size of government and needing to rely on ourselves. This isn't about relying on our governement for everything, its about watching out for the people... besides our government has too much to do taking care of everyone else in the world. [Wink]

anyways, Im sorry for makin this political, but in alot of ways it very much is. it shows where our priorities lie and how we shouldn't put so much faith into the machine.

we are living in interesting times for sure.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Fooksie
IE # 239
Member # 331

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Fooksie   Author's Homepage   Email Fooksie         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the b*tching on this board, has anyone taken this as a wake up to start putting a few emergency supplies away? Have you talked to friends and loved ones about what to do if an emergency pops up?
Take a lesson from the ant, not the grasshopper.
( Or the head of FEMA ) [Wink]

--------------------
" Every move a picture! "
Buddy Love

Splatman
IE # 94
Member # 2096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Splatman   Author's Homepage   Email Splatman         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Howard Dean has played the race card. [Gary]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168745,00.html

--------------------
Chief Doodler
SPLAT digital
www.SPLATdigital.com

Fasty
IE # 97
Member # 2124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fasty   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good question Fooksie, this is one massive wake-up call. Imagine an asteroid impact scale event. Sure makes me want to learn basic survival skills at least. I've even been thinking about keeping my car tank full at all times. I've thought about buying a portable water catcher and purifier, although if no-one else has one that may bring untoward attention to myself.

I've even wondered that if for some reason we were without petrol or electricity, what would the role of the animator become? Putting on shadow puppet shows in front of the fire?

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've even wondered that if for some reason we were without petrol or electricity, what would the role of the animator become? Putting on shadow puppet shows in front of the fire?

Well, that would certainly mark the return of 2D, wouldn't it? Another reason to work on those traditional skills (and stock up on supplies).

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 14 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you say Kinematoscope ?

When the electricity goes off we make FlipBooks !
(ultimate shortform media)

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My stance is that we should not want the government to take care of us but instead rely on ourselves more.
Nothing wrong with that stance, Thomas. The problem seems to be that our government seems to have drifted much to far away from its original purpose to serve the public good.
Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

And I'll add here that I think our government may have lost its original purpose -- what was once checks and balances now seems to be 'my side against your side'.

It also seems like certain businesses may be benefiting from all this Right vs. Left politicking too. [Roll Eyes]

Corn Fed
Member # 1085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corn Fed   Email Corn Fed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My stance is that we should not want the government to take care of us but instead rely on ourselves more.
National catastrophies have a way of making those sentiments quaint.

In an emergency like Katrina, those who survive the easiest are not the most independent-minded, but rather the already-well-off.

Think about it. What you are saying is tantamount to suggesting that the victims on 9/11 should've just pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. In terms of governmental response, what really is the difference between 9/11 and Katrina? Are you suggesting that we shouldn't rely on the government to respond effectively in a 9/11-type incident? Again, what's the difference between that and Katrina?

In terms of the people affected, they are the same. Except that Katrina's aftermath killed many, many, many more people.

To borrow a phrase, Katrina changed everything.

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're missing the point. Disasters like the ones I've mentioned have a way of making everyone equal. Last I heard everyone, in the disaster areas had their houses and business pretty much destroyed. I don't think the storm cared what shade of the rainbow your skin is or how much money you have in the bank.

The people outside of he unaffected areas have stepped up and helped the victims a heck of a lot more than the police or the national guard have.

1) By opening their houses to the refugees.

2) Donating buses and boats to rescuers & hauling those that were still there, out of the region.

3) Donating massive amounts of money, clothing, and medicine to the relief organizations.

--------------------
-Tom

StephG
IE # 11
Member # 222

Even middle class evacuees have been squeezed:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-exiles8sep08,0,6866747.story?coll=la-home-headlines

quote:
Well, that would certainly mark the return of 2D, wouldn't it? Another reason to work on those traditional skills (and stock up on supplies).
Yeah, so you can draw little pictures on rocks and animate them by juggling the rocks. So brush up on those juggling skills too [Wink]

quote:
To borrow a phrase, Katrina changed everything.
I don't think so. Large scale disasters are spaced rather widely apart. Even 9/11 wasn't a large scale disaster, since it was localized and left much of the infrastructure intact. Wall Street was up and running in a week or so.

The problem is this: everything that happened before 1987 is "history" to anyone 18 years old. As they probably weren't very aware of current events until they were maybe 8 years old, that pretty much counts for anything before 1995.

It's very hard to get excited about not repeating history, when you can't see the human details of it in the context of your own time.

And already, the images of last week are fading in some minds, aided by the self interest of politicians doing what they can to make people forget.

The supporters of those politicians are already circling the wagons to defend themselves as the political opposition starts firing its arrows. People are already filtering events through their political party politics, and they're forgetting what their own eyes told them.

Soon it will take an effort to remember the heartbreak of the images we all saw, and discount the lives we saw lost before our own eyes as "details" of catastrophes. As remote as seeing people starving in Africa due to the mismanagement of resources by their own governments. The people's lives and struggled will be no more or less symbolic than pawns on a chessboard (which are themselves symbolic of political intrigue and class struggles).

By the time New Orleans is reborn, people will remember only the miracle of recovery, the struggles of the first few days a dim memory, and anyone who tries to remind them will react strictly along their parties lines.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote: The mayor was playing the race card.

I recall the the mayor being frustated, angry, and ticked off for federal help not showing up. I don't recall hearing him mentioning race. Mybe I missed something? [Confused]

Or you maybe you are reffering to Kayne West's comments?

Oops... my bad.. I have a bunch of news clips, and I have several of Jesse Jackson soundbytes playing the race card and one was mislabeled as being Nagin.

When news is breaking.. people get sloppy.

So, for the record... Nagin DID NOT play the race card.

Actually.. I applaud him for using "offensive" language to drive the point home, and saying that the Senator and the President need to get off their 'asses' and get this problem resolved.
Major Kudos!!!

As a side note: I just went back to CNN to verify Nagin's interview, and immediately afterwards they played a Capitol One commercial.. the ad with the charging vikings. It starts off with one of them saying "Sure we've had fun pillaging..."

...Kinda funny juxtaposed right after the Major of New Orleans saying how they have no control over the looters.

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

quote:
When news is breaking.. people get sloppy.
Just like my writing can sometimes get sloppy -- a simple matter of my making sure I preview and edit before posting anything. [biggrin]
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
why are the victims of this great tragedy called refugees?

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
"and don't post that rubbish anymore. Gracias."

edward, i think i'll post whatever i want. thank you.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

quote:
why are the victims of this great tragedy called refugees?
Main Entry: ref·u·gee
Pronunciation: "re-fyu-'jE, 're-fyu-"
Function: noun
Etymology: French réfugié, past participle of (se) réfugier to take refuge, from Latin refugium
: one that flees; especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution

--------------------
-Tom

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

so they're not refugees?...Im not pickin a fight, I just keep hearing this word being thrown around on TV and I just don't think its correct.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Neither am I, just posting the definition. They just use that word because it sort of fits. I think the definition might need to be broadened a bit from the one I pulled off of Websters.

--------------------
-Tom

Vincent
Member # 2369

A lovely capsule of the week.

http://homepage.mac.com/onegoodmove2/movies/ds090605katrina.mov

Edward Webb
Member # 3209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edward Webb   Email Edward Webb         Edit/Delete Post 
"edward, i think i'll post whatever i want. thank you."

Nobody's ever had a problem letting me know when I'm wrong. So let me rephrase. Your information is wrong. You're welcome to post it all you want to, though. But now that you KNOW it's wrong, and I provided a link for you, you should at least let people know the information is erronious when you post it as truth.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

its funny cuz its true...

and no, I think the current definition of refugee is fine. no revision needed...someone sent me a clip of Oprah and she has the same problem with the word and calls them survivors...so if Oprah feels that way I must be right [Wink]

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

I was watching the network news the other night -- I don't remember which one -- and they started using the word 'evacuees'.

For me it was very strange to hear the word 'refugees' because I think of the word as being used for people fleeing to a foreign country.

Steve G
IE # 12
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve G   Author's Homepage   Email Steve G         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're a bunch of guldurn Deserters!!

Just kiddin'. I think Evacuees fits the best.

BTW for those that were asking, we did locate my brother and his wife and they are safe and temporarily in Illinois and flying to Miami tomorrow.

--------------------
http://stevenegordon.blogspot.com
http://stevenegordon.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

good news, SteveG!!!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
"someone sent me a clip of Oprah and she has the same problem with the word and calls them survivors...so if Oprah feels that way I must be right"

Ah yes, Oprah; who wasted no time in dragging her show down to the affected area, further taxing the resources of the region. Maybe she can reclassify her show to get a "first responder" status...

If she truly wanted to help, she should have stayed in Chicago and sent along some of that huge paycheck of hers to relief agencies, rather than pandering for ratings.

But that's just one guy's opinion...

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Brown sacked -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4231170.stm

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Steve G
IE # 12
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve G   Author's Homepage   Email Steve G         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...wonder what he'll be promoted to.....

--------------------
http://stevenegordon.blogspot.com
http://stevenegordon.com

Vincent
Member # 2369

Mr.Brown's quote

I'm anxious to get back to DC to correct all the inaccuracies and lies
Michael Brown
Fema director

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

WATCH THIS VIDEO!

[Gary]
I agree with this man.. the top of the totem pole needs to be cut down, if nothing, but to send a message to our leaders that this type of idleness and latency in help is unnacceptable by the American people.

StephG
IE # 11
Member # 222

quote:
Mr.Brown's quote

I'm anxious to get back to DC to correct all the inaccuracies and lies
Michael Brown

Like his resume? Oh wait, he thinks other's correction of his inaccuracies and lies are themselves inaccuracies and lies?

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1103003,00.html

I guess the administration, by tenaciously holding onto Brown, is hellbent on feeding more and more ammunition to their critics.

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

I love this report! Lets stop the help, and start the blaming; we can't wait to nail people. Oh, and we need a bigger bureaucracy, because the current one has failed us. He's ignorant of what has happened within the bowels of his own state government.

Here is what I'm talking about. Turns out, that an interview Brit Hume had the other night, asking why food and water was not sent immediately to the Astrodome by the Red Cross and other emergency agencies? It was reported by Major Garrett (who is a general assignment reporter):
quote:
MAJOR GARRETT: “The Red Cross was ready, just got off the phone with one of their officials. They had a vanguard, Brit, of trucks with water, food, hygiene equipment, all sorts of things ready to go, where? To the Superdome and the convention center. Why weren't they there? The Louisiana Department of Homeland Security told them they could not go.”

Brit Hume then asks. “Now, this isn't the Louisiana branch of the federal homeland security, this is the state?"

MAJOR GARRETT: “The state's own agency devoted to the state's homeland security. They told them, you cannot go there. Why? The Red Cross tells me, that state agency in Louisiana said, look, we do not want to create a magnet for more people to come to the Superdome or the convention center. We want to get them out. So at the same time local officials were screaming, where's the food, where's the water, the Red Cross was standing by ready, the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security said you can't go.”

Turns out that Gov. Kathleen Blanco’s office (or perhaps herself) ordered them not to go in, all because they didn’t want more people going to the Astrodome: the story/ also covered here

--------------------
-Tom

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012