AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Hurricane Katrina... (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina...
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
That bag of Cheetos represents someone's time and investment! Same as a Plasma TV ...Shoot em now!!
(SARCASM)

While I don't believe shooting looters of food is the right, in any sense of the word. I don't believe in setting aside civilization every time things get a little rough.

When you say.. screw the law.. i'm stealing whatever food i'm getting my mits on, you're taking away that food from the weaker citizens that say, aren't as handy with a shotgun or crowbar as you.

There could have been organization in place to gather all the food, with promises of compensating the store owner, and distributing it on a need to need basis. Then everyone is happy, and noone needs to get shot. The human body can go weeks without food.

The people who would need it the most, are the least likely to pass their LA riot efficiancy tests or initiation to the Road Warriors.
My parents, and grandparents come to mind.

But it's real easy for my to suggests such things, being thousands of miles away from the situation. I just hope everyone gets out alive.

IP: Logged
Corn Fed
Member # 1085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corn Fed   Email Corn Fed         Edit/Delete Post 
Your first post only mentioned bags of chips, soda, and smokes. That's a world of difference from ATM's and gunfire. Glad you clarified.
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
I love people...

-

Anim8edcox
IE # 2
Member # 1165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anim8edcox   Author's Homepage   Email Anim8edcox         Edit/Delete Post 
It all just get's worse and worse. And quite frankly I don't care who takes offence at what I feel and write about this situation going on in my home town. Bush is a laughingstock across the world and an embarassment to our country for how long he has teken to actually responding to the storm's aftermath and has reminded everyone of how poorly his father reacted in a same scenario and storm situation. Homeland SEcurity is blasting FEMA for being innefectual and useless. And all the while, the criminal element of the city is running rampant and destroying whatever is left of the city, physically as well as mentally!

95% of the people there right now planned ons taying and looting after the storm to begin with. They are animals and deserve whatever happens to them. To be burning whatever they can just to help destroy the city is a superiority complex that is way out of proportion. I saw on one news station a man holding a little baby up to the camera while ranting that there is no water or food for his little baby and it's the government's fault that he is reduced to stealing. I can tell you right now I would have been pleased as punch if the rest of the film showed someone blowing his head off on camera!! This SOB is the same man who held myself and my partner at gunpoint and stole the car and everything else a couple of years ago at Christmastime! (This situatoion was discussed in another thread here at AN a while back for those old-timers here who might remember it.) It's a terrible situation and it's being perpetuated by liars and thieves and is certainly an area deserving of rough handling by any policing force available. New Orleans has always had a black eye as far as most of the country is concerned despite the positive things that far outweigh the negatives the media perpetuates. These dregs continue to drag the very memory of the city down and they most certainly don't represent the city in any way. It's disgusting to see them stealing whatever they want and insist that they are only taking food and water. Why should they waste time doing that when there are groups down there offering them such? This is how they exist anyways...no work...foodstamps and other handouts from the government. Nothing is different for them except the chance to steal such things as plasma tvs and other expensive electronics that they can seel once all of this is over. And now they have gotten the bright idea that the storage units that are above the waters are just sitting thre waiting to be destroyed and gone through in order to pick and choose what they want from other's stored precious items. It is rape as basic and cold-blooded and amliciously planned as can be. Should we feel pity and compassion for these "poor people stuck in the avtermath?" NO! For those not doing such things, most certainly they need and deserve the help. But most of these people stealing far more than food...no. Most reactions from natives right now is to just let the elements do their thing and let them all die. Sounds cold hearted? Well...we don't care. All of us have lost so much. Why should others benefit from whatever is left as though it is their right to do so?

An example of what the city had facing it was told to me before the flooding actually happened. A friend of mine related a story by phone that he witnessed across the street from his home ini uptown New Orleans. He was hearing gunshots and the sounds of doors and windows being broken into from houses around his. He looked across the street and saw a man taking an axe to the front door and a young boy opened the door and tried to chase the man away and the man simply took the axe and cleaved the poor boy's skull in two and proceeded to enter the house to take whatever he wanted from within after stepping over the twitching body of the poor child who was trying to defend his families things. this happened after the hurricane and before the flooding.

There are many many other simmilar stories. And they are all just as disgusting. It's as though most of these people feel that they have been given nothing all along and they deserve to take whatever they want to becasue they, and their people, have been kept from achieving better lives, etc. It is indeed boiling down to an issue where lines are going to be drawn and the racism card is going to be played as it is done with frequency in these times. As I have said before, there's good and bad in all races, creeds, and any other issuance of humanity. But most of what is going on in NOLA right now is the underbelly of the thugs and gangster elements that continue to rape, steal and pillage the city as though they have the right to continue doing what they have always done even before the hurricane devestated the city. Their just doing it now in the camera's eyes, and therefore, in front of the whole world to see. And many feel that these types represent what New Orleans is all about and it's disgusting to my very soul to see that happen. I just had several families and their children stay the night in my new one bedroom apartment here in Orlando, all on their way to parts unknown. To settle down somewhere somehow and start new jobs and lives in order to just survive. They have lost everything including any moneys that they had and more. They leave behind a city they grew up in as I did, and yet, why should they have to struggle while those elements who stayed behind to take all they can take get government help and assitance? Maybe becasue taht is how they lived to begin with? Perhaps it's easier to just take instead of actually working for a living? I guess it's easier to steal than to earn. Do I feel badly for these people still in the city. No. I don't. If they had pride, they would offer their services to clean and help the city get back on it's feet in payment for what food and assistance they might get at this time. but no, I guess it's easier to sell their items on the black market or ebay. It's a crime plain and simple.

I am so thankful for how much the country has come together as well as corporate businesses with donations and help. But the city, my city, will never be the same. Ever. And that is something that money can't buy or replace. There was history in New Orleans. There was live and love and a feeling of the old world in New Orleans. Now we fear that they will plow the city under and rebuilds on raised ground. A cookie-cutter designed city where atmosphere and charm are gone, buried over 20 feet underground. Where New Orleans will be undistinguishable from many other citys that have no history or atmosphere to call it's very own. Jazz is almost dead. Mardi Gras is basically gone. And yet, true New Orleanians celebrate. We celebrate life and we celebrate death. This situation is not a celebration. We refuse to celebrate this situation. But we pray that we will be able to celebrate life once all of this is over.

--------------------
Anim8edcox
 -

BobV
IE # 119
Member # 392

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BobV           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's pretty harsh Ed.

The reality is that there are tens of thousands of folks that still need help. There are babies, kids, and senior citizens, and people dying from dehydration. PEOPLE DYING OF THIRST. The vast majority of these people are not criminals. They are just folks of little means caught up in a disaster of unfathomable magnitude, compounded my a monumentally f*cked up and shoddy federal relief effort.

I'm angry too Ed, but it's a mistake to direct that anger towards the people that need help.

[Gary]

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Don't blame me.. I voted for Kerry.
[funny]

Razor
Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razor   Email Razor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have many questions and concerns in my mind and I thank Ed for being so honest in his opinions, for it is helping me to see more clearly....

But, for all of the truly innocent people that are being effected by this, WHERE IS CORPORATE AMERICA????? Where the hell is Wal Mart and the banks that have made billions in profit? Where is Safeway and Donald Trump, and those damn Hiltons??? All we see of the "American way" is the making of really big money and flaunting it for everyone else to see.....

Where are the ones with the big money and big profits when they are truly needed and would certainly gain bigger reputations then starting some dumb reality program. Convicts like Martha Stewart get millions in tv contracts and the innocent that make these people famous over the years can't even get a bottle of water.

This SUCKS!!!

Rupert Piston
IE # 175
Member # 2875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rupert Piston   Author's Homepage   Email Rupert Piston         Edit/Delete Post 
Our forces reached Baghdad faster than they got to New Orleans.
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

It's almost as if we have a horrible leader who doesn't know how to be President!

Who'd thunk it?

Well, besides me, the majority of AN, the voters of the blue states, and well, the rest of the world?

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheez, I won't bother to link to these things because you guys can GOOGLE, and I didn't save the links. I get up this morning and check the news and some blogs and see a couple videos of cops looting, claiming "it's for the relief effort" to the camera but piling up shoes and electronics into a shopping cart. I read tales of "trains" being pulled on still-warm corpses of rape victims dead from beatings. I always thought the descent into this kind of behavior would occur gradually, not explode full-blast at the first opportunity.

It does appear that, aside from people in hospitals (many of whom were abandoned to drown), the elderly, the immobilized poor, and tourists, many of those left in New Orleans underestimated the storm's force and did have deliberate plans to pick up a few nice things for the hovel that ain't there no more, and maybe get to have a killin', rapin' holiday without threat of prosecution.

Lots of right-wing bloggers are taking pains to point out that this is in no way the responsibility of those currently making up the federal government.

This is how Bush was helping on Tuesday:

-

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this report pretty much covers all that is going on in New Orleans and it's surroundings.

Click here

It's disgusting really, to see how the american government took so long to respond to a major crisis. Bush was quick to call this one of the biggest disasters in american history, yet didn't quite match his words with the actions he took. As for the people raping and pillaging within their own community, I tend to agree that lethal force should be at least considered. That should help clear the way for relief efforts and at the same time remove elements which were probably already infecting the city.

Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, isn't it also interesting that we coul predict the path of this Hurricane, we knew it was coming, and yet they could ahve used that time to prepare for a situation like this? You can't ever totally evacuate a city like New Orleans.

Though once again we see humans once again falling into the basics that deep down rules mean nothing tothe whole factor of becoming downright uncivilized. It's the scene from 'War of the Worlds' all over again with the crowd going nuts trying to steal the mini-van.

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

Fooksie
IE # 239
Member # 331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fooksie   Author's Homepage   Email Fooksie         Edit/Delete Post 
Spielberg was too kind in his treatment of the refugees. You didn't see anybody trying to rape his litte girl during the mass exodus, like they were doing in NO.
As for corporate America, Walmart, that evil, looted store no one seems to like, is giving $15 million to help.
I am furious at this administration.
What all of you should learn from this is that there is no plan in place in case of a terrorist attack.
The only thing you can do is have supplies, plenty of ammo, and your loved ones with you, and hunker down til order is restored.

--------------------
" Every move a picture! "
Buddy Love

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Live video stream. You can see military and emergency vehicles zooming aroung with lights flashing, and occasional bursts of confusion in the distance:
http://wss-vip.adv.xc.advection.net/event/adv/evt20050902/new_orlean/0250?ext=.asf

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have as well been hearing reports this week of FEMA workers, military pilots, and police/rescue units being shot at in New Orleans. & I have come to the conclusion that they just don't want us there. We should, with all good conscious, pull out and not try to enforce our goodwill on that section of the world. The U.S. government could at least have the patience and good sense to let the sanctions work, or with the help of the United Nations, apply new more stringent restrictions. It is all about the oil anyway!

--------------------
-Tom

Rupert Piston
IE # 175
Member # 2875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rupert Piston   Author's Homepage   Email Rupert Piston         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about Iraq or Nawlins, and, fine sir, are you being ironical?
Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I sure as heck haven't heard of any FEMA folks roaming the countryside of Iraq or Afghanistan.

--------------------
-Tom

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We should, with all good conscious, pull out and not try to enforce our goodwill on that section of the world
It's kind of funny that you mention that. Well, OK. It is kind of funny in an odd way, not a haha way. I just heard the president on the radio and he referred to the affected Gulf Coast region as "this part of the world" not once but three times.
While your mentioning of it was coincidental (good satire, too.). The fact that the president said "this part of the world" while standing there in New Orleans, which is about 4-6 hours away from his vacation home and which is a couple of hours from his home state, was kind of odd. I guess it is all third worldy looking to him, too.
---
All in all, let's hope that the situations get under control soon. I'm really concerned about the fact that there are bodies of those killed by the storm floating in the water, that there are people who died after the flooding and what seems to be a desperate ad hoc hospital situations and jail situations. Add to that the cemetaries in the city of New Orleans buries the dead above ground and you can only hope that more bodies aren't added to the waters, to the streets or make-shift morgues by bad guys killing people or by good guys who may need to maim or kill to stop bad guys.
Let's hope someone has a plan and can execute that plan effectively with great results that don't make matters worse.

---
BTW, Cavepainter has a great idea in Gen Discussion pertaining to penny collection. Sounds like something schools could get behind and everyone could participate in. Let's face it unless you need the extra coins for gas prices, they may as well go to good causes.

StephG
IE # 11
Member # 222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StephG   Email StephG         Edit/Delete Post 
You might ask yourself, "Why aren't those people just walking out of the city?"

The answer, it turns out, is that there are and have been police barricades on every point where people can exit the city.

As for the lawlessness, the assumption that people stayed there to cause trouble is just mean idiocy. There are 50,000 people stuck there, and it only takes a handful of criminal gang members to terrorize them and shoot at police and other aid workers. Say one half of one percent, if that. That's still 250 people, which can still wreak a lot of havoc.

A lot of the people there are poor. Many were misguided by the past, since nothing like this has ever happened to New Orleans in all of its history, and this is the 21st Century. It's unbelievable that something as old fashioned as something out of an old blues standard or Led Zeppelin song like a levee breaking could happen in a modern city.

Most were under the impression that if they rode out the hurricane in a shelter, everything would be OK. If you watch Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" you know people aren't aware enough, taking in the big picture, to realize that the wind was blowing all that water in the lake on the north side of town to one side and it would slosh back. All at once. Connecting the dots isn't all that easy when it's all barreling down on you.

A lot of people stayed behind in a misguided attempt to protect what they had earned over a lifetime.

Some were too poor to buy a bus ticket out. Or if they did, where would they go? Cities in other states hadn't opened their stadiums until after the crisis reached the state of the sort of thing that only happens in the third world.

For those of you who think you know better, how many have a week's worth of water and food and whatever else you'd need if there were some sort of dire emergency? How many have a full tank of gas if you had to get out of dodge RIGHT NOW.

How many would really leave their homes, everything behind, if they were told to evacuate? I have done it ahead of being told at the first sign of trouble, but I know others who took up arms and barricaded themselves when the LA riots could easily have gotten worse and degraded to marauding anarchy. We had the National Guard almost the next day. If they'd taken a few more days? Who knows?

A major, catastrophic earthquake in So Cal, say where the San Andreas goes off, and that in turns sets a bunch of local faults off, and all water, electricity, shipping, sewage, phones...all cut off. That includes access to your ATMs, use of credit cards, etc. Airports closed. All roads out of So Cal are blocked or destroyed (there's only a handful of them). Stores aren't open to sell you stuff because there's no power and everything is wrecked. Nothing is being done to fix the situation. How long before people start breaking into stores to get supplies? How long before armed gangs terrorize every neighborhood? How long before they shoot at anyone trying to bring relief because it would stop their marauding?

Look at those wretched people gathered at the Superdome and Convention center. You know that those aren't the people causing trouble, if anything they're victims of the criminals preying on them, and they have no one defending them against robbery, rape and assault. They've maybe not so quietly been shrivelling from dehydration, starving, and dying from lack of medical care.

Those who are associating people in a terrible situation with sociopathic criminals who are the lowest form of humanity, should be utterly ashamed of themselves. The good, unfortunate people have no way to stop those pieces of human excrement. Just surviving another day is a struggle for them.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

The Mayor of New Orleans... Keeping it real...
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/audio/national/NAGIN_AUDIO.mp3
...REAL ANGRY!

-

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Whoops.. this was supposed to accompany the "I bet you'll vote next time hippie" image..

Yesterday, about 7:05 am Eastern time, George Bush was interviewed by Diane Sawyers on ABC's Good Morning America. This is what he said:

"I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees."

Mm. Here is a quote from an article originally published on June 8, 2004 in the Times-Picayune:

For the first time in 37 years, federal budget cuts have all but stopped major work on the New Orleans area's east bank hurricane levees, a complex network of concrete walls, metal gates and giant earthen berms that won't be finished for at least another decade.

"I guess people look around and think there's a complete system in place, that we're just out here trying to put icing on the cake," said Mervin Morehiser, who manages the "Lake Pontchartrain and vicinity" levee project for the Army Corps of Engineers. "And we aren't saying that the sky is falling, but people should know that this is a work in progress, and there's more important work yet to do before there is a complete system in place."

"I can't tell you exactly what that could mean this hurricane season if we get a major storm," Naomi said. "It would depend on the path and speed of the storm, the angle that it hits us.

"But I can tell you that we would be better off if the levees were raised, . . . and I think it's important and only fair that those people who live behind the levee know the status of these projects."

The Bush administration's proposed fiscal 2005 budget includes only $3.9 million for the east bank hurricane project. Congress likely will increase that amount, although last year it bumped up the administration's $3 million proposal only to $5.5 million.

"I needed $11 million this year, and I got $5.5 million," Naomi said. "I need $22.5 million next year to do everything that needs doing, and the first $4.5 million of that will go to pay four contractors who couldn't get paid this year."

And here is an excerpt from May of this year:

In the event of a slow-moving Category 4 or Category 5 hurricane (with winds up to or exceeding 155 miles per hour), it's possible that only those crow's nests would remain above the water level. Such a storm, plowing over the lake, could generate a 20-foot surge that would easily overwhelm the levees of New Orleans, which only protect against a hybrid Category 2 or Category 3 storm (with winds up to about 110 miles per hour and a storm surge up to 12 feet). Soon the geographical "bowl" of the Crescent City would fill up with the waters of the lake, leaving those unable to evacuate with little option but to cluster on rooftops -- terrain they would have to share with hungry rats, fire ants, nutria, snakes, and perhaps alligators. The water itself would become a festering stew of sewage, gasoline, refinery chemicals, and debris.

I guess it all depends on what one means by "nobody" and "breach" and so on.

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
Writer Joel K. Bourne nailed it in this article published in the Oct. 2004 National Geographic:

2004 article on "When" not "if" a major Hurricane will devastate New Orleans

Bourne's imagined scenario from 2004 reads like he had access to a newspapers and cable news coverage from Sept. 1, 2005:

quote:
The storm hit Breton Sound with the fury of a nuclear warhead, pushing a deadly storm surge into Lake Pontchartrain. The water crept to the top of the massive berm that holds back the lake and then spilled over. Nearly 80 percent of New Orleans lies below sea level—more than eight feet below in places—so the water poured in. A liquid brown wall washed over the brick ranch homes of Gentilly, over the clapboard houses of the Ninth Ward, over the white-columned porches of the Garden District, until it raced through the bars and strip joints on Bourbon Street like the pale rider of the Apocalypse. As it reached 25 feet (eight meters) over parts of the city, people climbed onto roofs to escape it.

Thousands drowned in the murky brew that was soon contaminated by sewage and industrial waste. Thousands more who survived the flood later perished from dehydration and disease as they waited to be rescued. It took two months to pump the city dry, and by then the Big Easy was buried under a blanket of putrid sediment, a million people were homeless, and 50,000 were dead. It was the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States.

When did this calamity happen? It hasn't—yet.

The only difference is now they can drop the line about "When did this calamity happen? It hasn't—yet." We're watching it unfold by the hour. (I'm really hoping Bourne's 50,000 dead number is way off, but who knows at this point ? I don't think we yet know the full extent of the death toll. But I hope it's no where near 50,000 )

Here is an article on why this is not just a regional disaster for the Gulf Coast states ; this is going to affect all of us in the U.S. and beyond for a long time to come (not just gas prices , but other items , especially food) :

New Orleans: A Geopolitical Prize by George Friedman

quotes from article :

quote:
During the Cold War, a macabre topic of discussion among bored graduate students who studied such things was this: If the Soviets could destroy one city with a large nuclear device, which would it be? The usual answers were Washington or New York. For me, the answer was simple: New Orleans. If the Mississippi River was shut to traffic, then the foundations of the economy would be shattered. The industrial minerals needed in the factories wouldn't come in, and the agricultural wealth wouldn't flow out. Alternative routes really weren't available. The Germans knew it too: A U-boat campaign occurred near the mouth of the Mississippi during World War II.
quote:
The Ports of South Louisiana and New Orleans, which run north and south of the city, are as important today as at any point during the history of the republic. On its own merit, POSL is the largest port in the United States by tonnage and the fifth-largest in the world. It exports more than 52 million tons a year, of which more than half are agricultural products -- corn, soybeans and so on. A large proportion of U.S. agriculture flows out of the port. Almost as much cargo, nearly 17 million tons, comes in through the port -- including not only crude oil, but chemicals and fertilizers, coal, concrete and so on.

A simple way to think about the New Orleans port complex is that it is where the bulk commodities of agriculture go out to the world and the bulk commodities of industrialism come in. The commodity chain of the global food industry starts here, as does that of American industrialism. If these facilities are gone, more than the price of goods shifts: The very physical structure of the global economy would have to be reshaped. Consider the impact to the U.S. auto industry if steel doesn't come up the river, or the effect on global food supplies if U.S. corn and soybeans don't get to the markets.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

*Image file removed by, The Mod*

[ September 03, 2005, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: The Mod ]

The Mod
Administrator
Member # 854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mod   Email The Mod         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Offbeat, that image is a bit uncalled for. I'm taking it off.
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

A sensitive approach towards helping those devastated by Mighty Katrina:

Troops begin combat operations in New Orleans

NEW ORLEANS — Combat operations are underway on the streets “to take this city back” in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

“This place is going to look like Little Somalia,” Brig. Gen. Gary Jones, commander of the Louisiana National Guard’s Joint Task Force told Army Times Friday as hundreds of armed troops under his charge prepared to launch a massive citywide security mission from a staging area outside the Louisiana Superdome. “We’re going to go out and take this city back. This will be a combat operation to get this city under control.”

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

You gotta be careful with them savage New Orleaners.

Fearing riots, Guard rejects food airdrops

ARLINGTON, Va. — Authorities are avoiding airdropping provisions into New Orleans — the traditional way of supplying disaster victims — out of fear of sparking riots, a state official said.

While the military has used helicopters to drop provisions to some stranded in New Orleans, authorities have not launched the massive supply airdrops seen in Afghanistan at the beginning of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Airdropping supplies could actually worsen the situation, said Army National Guard Lt. Kevin Cowan, with the state Office of Emergency Preparedness.

“Just like Afghanistan, you drop food, it creates chaos,” Cowan said.

Jessie
Member # 1722

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jessie   Email Jessie         Edit/Delete Post 
There's already chaos without them dropping anything.

Patience, help is on the way.

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
What worries me is that those soldiers and guards who were ordered to take back the city are probably not going to ask that person going through a store if what they are taking is for survival or for profit. There's a huge difference between the two.
StephG
IE # 11
Member # 222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StephG   Email StephG         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what I've seen from the aggressive, violent human pond scum which comprise a very small proportion of those in need, I can believe it. It doesn't take much of a spark to ignite a riot among the desperate, and I could imagine hundreds of people dead as a result.

The military presence was the most important need to kick start every other process, and the delay of its arrival is the country's greatest disgrace.

But you have to admire point man Lt. General Russel Honore. That guy is a walking stereotype. Mayor Nagin called him "A John Wayne dude...that can get stuff done".

From CNN:
quote:
Hundreds of National Guard and active duty troops are carrying weapons in the city. But the way they carried those guns was a concern to the general.

He ordered all he encountered to point their weapons down, said CNN Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr, who was with the general. Honore repeatedly went up to military vehicles, National Guardsmen standing sentry and even to New Orleans police officers, telling them to please point their weapons down and reminding them that they were not in Iraq.

He seems to have a lot of empathy for the situation, and seems to be doing a good job. It just would have been a lot better if he could have arrived on Wednesday or sooner.

I think that picture of the President playing guitar on Tuesday will be his "Nero fiddled while Rome burned" moment which a lot of people will remember.

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

I'm spendin' too much time readin' news today.

Looks like they got everything in order:

"They killed a man here last night," Steve Banka, 28, told Reuters. "A young lady was being raped and stabbed. And the sounds of her screaming got to this man and so he ran out into the street to get help from troops, to try to flag down a passing truck of them, and he jumped up on the truck's windshield and they shot him dead."

People here said there were now 22 bodies of adults and children stored inside the building, but troops guarding the building refused to confirm that and threatened to beat reporters seeking access to the makeshift morgue.

People trying to walk out are forced back at gunpoint - something troops said was for their own safety.

One National Guard soldier who asked not to be named for fear of punishment from his commanding officer said of the lack of medical attention at the center, "They (the Bush administration) care more about Iraq and Afghanistan than here."

The Louisiana National Guard soldier said, "We are doing the best we can with the resources we have, but almost all of our guys are in Iraq."

One police officer told Reuters there were 100 people in a makeshift morgue at the Superdome, mostly people who died of heat exhaustion, and that six babies had been born there since last Saturday, when people arrived to take shelter.

At the arena, too, there was much talk of bedlam after dark.

"We found a young girl raped and killed in the bathroom," one National Guard soldier told Reuters. "Then the crowd got the man and they beat him to death."

It's worse than a forkin George Romero movie down there. I think I'll go watch the Spongebob channel for a while.

Mel Allen Sink
IE # 236
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mel Allen Sink   Author's Homepage   Email Mel Allen Sink         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from a red state that voted for Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton, and Gore.

So what is currently the most effective Katrina relief charity to drop a C-note or two on?

--------------------
http://melallensink.blogspot.com

Steve G
IE # 12
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve G   Author's Homepage   Email Steve G         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bush: Katrina "a mess," but Lott's house is gonna be AWESOME
President George W. Bush, snipped without edit from a White House press release:
"We've got a lot of rebuilding to do. First, we're going to save lives and stabilize the situation. And then we're going to help these communities rebuild.
The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before.

Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)"

Nice to know he can keep a postitive attitude...

fodder for the Daily Show

--------------------
http://stevenegordon.blogspot.com
http://stevenegordon.com

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ed ,for having shared your thoughts..It's of great value to have the chance to read insights from a New Orleans native on this board;to see this catastrophe through your eyes makes the whole thing seem less abstract as it might otherwise remain to those of us located so far away in our safe dry abodes. I'm glad you were out of harm's way at the time, and that life in Orlando is good;but the sad and shocking accounts you shared really affected me.
Though it's difficult to really fathom the enormity of this situation from news reports,clearly it's reality is far beyond any potential most might have imagined ..Most perhaps, EXCEPT those who, as cited by Offbeat and Eustace, had warned of something like this if those levees were not raised as they should have been. The gulf area is a VITAL hub, and for Bush's congress to have diverted such funding in favor of feeding that FARCE of a war just adds to his huge clusterf*ck of an administration. I mean COME ONNN! FEMA as part of Homeland Security??!!
As I type this,in fact, someone on the radio just noted the gross incompetence by every agency involved.
No argument there.
And how about this-- With so many service people stuck in Iraq-- we are down in military manpower considerably stateside. Now that FINALLY,most available HAVE been sent to address this catastrophe where they are sorely needed,how many would be left to deal with any unrelated crisis that may arise elsewhere in the country? Are we now left to be sitting ducks in the event of another attack--let alone on a local level with a major quake,firestorm, whatever...??
God help those suffering down in the Gulf.. and with this administration, God help us all.

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Mr. Bill told the whole story a year and a half ago:
MR. BILL'S HURRICANE

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least Karl Rove is doing his job.
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

More on that Rove thing:
http://www.pensitoreview.com/2005/09/05/this-week-rove-must-revise-reality/

About the MR. BILL .WMV link above: It's best to right-click and save it on the PC. Some machines won't stream it. If you have a single-button Mac mouse, do "the secret thing".

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to see that Karl Rove and his tactics are no longer unknown and are in the shadows.

The newspapers now keeps the light on him and his moves.

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
i think people here are bordering on the level of hysterics with conspiracy theories and cheap shots.

i think people are forgetting the fact that it is the local officals who are in charge of evacuation in the event of a catastophe. i have heard of an evacuation plan in place that estimated a certain percent of the population would elect NOT to evac either for 1)they did not percieve the hurricane would actually cause damage, 2)would not leave their land/property behind, or 3)were simply unable to leave due to lack of transportation.

the number estimated to be left behind in the event of a catastrophic event was numbered at 100,000. an unacceptable figure.

now, it was the LOCAL government that chose to send those buses of people to the super dome and the convention center. sounds like a really great plan since if the levees were indeed in such dire conidition in the first place. maybe they should've just drove those buses out into the gulf for all the good it did.

now, everyone KNEW this was bad news several days prior to the storm. can you image the absolute s-storm it would have conjured if the federal government stepped in with troops and told people to leave their homes prior to the hurricane hitting? this is america, not gaza.

it fell to the local authorities to protect its citizens. it failed. and in the face of nature, man is gonna loose everytime. thats a fact. however, there were preventative measures that could have been taken to get people out which were not taken. the local authorities screwed up, did not communicate their needs effectively, and thus delayed aid.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
now, everyone KNEW this was bad news several days prior to the storm. can you image the absolute s-storm it would have conjured if the federal government stepped in with troops and told people to leave their homes prior to the hurricane hitting? this is america, not gaza.
The "s-storm" would have subsided as soon as the insufficient levees broke and flooded New Orleans. After all, the levees were barely strong enough to withstand a weak level 3 hurricane, so "everyone KNEW" that the levees would break in the face of level 4 Katrina.

After the levees broke, any complaints about a forced federal evacuation would have been met with angry people shouting, "Shut up! It saved lives!!!"

---

As it was, Bush chose to play guitar on the same day that an important American city fell victim to the ravages of nature. This hurricane didn't catch him by surprise -- it had been in the news for days.

Bush had also been informed in early 2001 that a hurricane striking New Orleans was one of the three worst disasters that could befall our country, yet he wasn't at his post. He wasn't on the phone, at his desk, in a room with other officials discussing how to help, asking the American people to stand strong in the face of upcoming disaster, an immediate sympathy note to New Orleans...nothing.

Bush's early (in)actions come across as though he doesn't care at all. [Frown]

--------------------
 -

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Police looting caught on video..

http://media2.dumpalink.com/media/hcxkk8fw0arb/8vkiPagRc4S6.wmv

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012