AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » SideTopics   » Jim McCaulay

Author Topic: Jim McCaulay
Lee Crowe
IE # 154
Member # 1135

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lee Crowe   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Eustace or any other Canucks or honorary Canucks:

I recently unpacked my old Sheridan notes and got to wondering about Jim McCaulay. What was his background and whatever became of him?

He sure could draw his _____!!!!!

--------------------
Look me up on http://IMDb.com.

IP: Logged
WonderCow
Member # 158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonderCow           Edit/Delete Post 
"Ah doont quite like thuh currrrrrrvvvature o' thet lay-g, there... "

Ah yes, Jim.. Best teacher at Sheridan, when I went in the early 80's..
Dunno what happened to him, really.
I still have many of the Sheridan notepages he handed out, too. Can't remember where I filed them. But I know they're around somewhere..

He worked on tons of stuff. But the only one I can remember him discussing way back.. was the "Heavy Metal" Feature.
He animated a lot of incidental stuff from the 'Taarna' sequence, as I recall. Maybe other stuff, too..

-- Rich

Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ravenshoe           Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard, Jim McCauley (the closest we'll come to a Jedi Master) is alive and well and enjoying his retirement in Picton, Ontario.

25 years down the line, I still have his sketches tucked safely away...

Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

As for Jim's background, he said that he worked in David Hand's studio. I believe that David Hand was Disney's animation director on Snow White. Jim was at one point, also a boat builder.

I remember one of the students was trying to animate a boat, but couldn't get the perspective right. Jim ran home at lunchtime and built an incredible model boat from cardboard and foamcore as a reference model for the student.

jonhoops
Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonhoops   Email jonhoops         Edit/Delete Post 
Lee you may want to check with the people at Max the Mutt animation school. They have a testimonial from him on their site. (see the sidebar on the left)

http://www.maxthemutt.com/index.htm

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I have most his drawing notes and inbetween exercises in a binder.
Ravenshoe, were you a writer on Dog City? I remember there was an episode with the puppet section with an old scottish animator dog named Jim. Just making the connection with what you were saying in the other post about being on the phone with Henson and associates.

Anyways, it was a genuine homage to those in the know.

Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

No, I wasn't involved with Dog City. I believe that John Van Bruggen wrote that episode as a tribute to Jim. The brass at Nelvana went nuts when they discovered (after the fact) that they'd shot an episode and NOW had to get clearance from Jim to use his name. Luckily for them, Jim was a great sport and accepted the show as a tribute.
Striker
IE # 210
Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Email Striker         Edit/Delete Post 
*Sigh* I keep hearing of the amazing wonder that was Jim McCauley. Unfortunately, Jim was just before my time at Sheridan and I never got to tap into that much revered resource. I actually missed all the 'good' instructors except for Wayne Gilbert. I had him for two years before he went off to Disney.
I know many animators who attribute their talent to the teachings of Jim McCauley. Apparently one heck of a guy and one hell of an animator, and I'm more than a little sorry I wasn't a part of that.

--------------------
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
- Thomas Dewar

rdms
Member # 692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdms   Email rdms         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have some of Jim's handouts tacked up on my wall for guidance & inspriration. I was fortunate to have him & Dick Friesen as teachers waaaaaay back then [Yes]
Capt. Wow
IE # 208
Member # 3145

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Capt. Wow   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, hows about we have a look?
rostrum
Member # 256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rostrum   Email rostrum         Edit/Delete Post 
those were the good old days.
I still have all those notes too from Jim and Dick and many others that floated around among
all the animators.

kind of curious to see what they get today.

pud
IE # 30
Member # 245

Icon 3 posted      Profile for pud   Author's Homepage   Email pud         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have the notes from his classes { early 80's }
And a few photos of the master teacher :-)

I'll send them to hoops { who was in Jim's class as well } http://www.animationmeat.com
so he can post them.

Ahhh, that ol scottich temper...... ;-)

--------------------
" Your Scenes are there forever." - Ollie Johnston
http://markpudleiner.blogspot.com/

rdms
Member # 692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdms   Email rdms         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we should scan these notes/drawings and centralize them so everyone can get a copy - I'm willing to do the ones I have. No sense of having these treasures just hide in darkness.

Anyone have an idea of how we could organize this?

--Rob

Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

We should get permission from Jim.
jonhoops
Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonhoops   Email jonhoops         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We should get permission from Jim.

Which brings us back to the original topic of the thread. Who knows how to contact one of the most revered teachers in Sheridan history?

I'd be happy to host Jim's handouts. Pud I'll call you and setup lunch. RDMS if you want to scan what you have and send it to me just make sure they are scanned at 300dpi so people can print them out properly (we prefer tiffs). click on the caricature of me on the meat site to get my email.

We are currently redesigning Animationmeat so it would be nice to have some new content to go with the redesign.

rostrum
Member # 256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rostrum   Email rostrum         Edit/Delete Post 
the easy answer to this is to ask at the Industry day on the 21st at sheridan. I'll try and remember.
Lee Crowe
IE # 154
Member # 1135

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Lee Crowe   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well bless y'all's little ol' Canadian hearts!

Y'all aren't at all like yankees, even though y'all do live north of them. Y'all are much nicer!

I look forward to seeing Jim's notes on animationmeat. (I have some old yellowed faded analog versions myself...).

--------------------
Look me up on http://IMDb.com.

Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patty B   Email Patty B         Edit/Delete Post 
Hubby is looking for Jim's number--I'll post when we get it. Who needs it for this purpose, I don't want to just hand it out.

--------------------
 -

VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 14 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim McCauley was the most inspirational Animation teacher I ever had . I am so fortunate I got to learn so much from such a giving , patient , talented teacher.

[thumbsup]

BobV
IE # 119
Member # 392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobV           Edit/Delete Post 
I was fortunate enough to be taught by Jim McCaulay and Charlie Bonifacio in the same year. You'd think some of that knowledge would have sunk in. But nope.
Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patty B   Email Patty B         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob--but for the first ten years, after school, everytime you drew a leg you broke into a scottish accent.

--------------------
 -

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my fellow classmates from Sheridan who stays in fairly frequent contact with Jim emailed me this :

quote:
Happily, last I spoke with Jim he was still alive and working away at a pace that would kill us younger folks. He lives in Perth, Ontario, at an address that I cannot find. He did not seem to be terribly interested in becoming involved with computers (email) on a personal level, although I imagine he keeps up with the pro world somewhat.
So, it seems that Jim is the same Jim we all remember fondly.
He doesn't do email, but I have his phone number if anyone wants to contact me by Private Message (click the link by my user name) . I won't post his phone number on the internet without permission , but I'll be glad to pass it on to any of you who were Jim's students and would like to call and let him know we're all thinking about him and grateful for what he passed on to us . Hoops , you should definitely call Jim ASAP and get permission to post his handouts . I'm sure he would be glad to give permission , but would probably like to be asked. Thanks for offering to host the notes on AnimationMeat.

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sheridan People of the 80's...LOL [Smile]
Yep Jim is a alive and well and living in Perth. I got a letter from him back in December. I do believe Jim will be 81 or 82 this year.

I'm alive and well..and I hardly look at this board...I miss my daily use of the computer. Oh Sigh!

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, sorry, I realize this is a really old thread , but I just found a fairly recent photo of Jim Macaulay and I figured that the former Sheridan College students who are on this board might enjoy seeing this:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/healing/newsitems.html

On that web site is a recent photo of Jim Macaulay and Eunice Macaulay. The site is about GB Animation, the animation studio started in the U.K. by David Hand after he left Disney's. Jim Macaulay and Eunice Macaulay worked there in the 1940's (and also Sheridan teacher Tom Halley worked there I believe) . The entire website is a really fascinating look at a little-known animation studio:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/healing/moorhallindex.html

If you look at the section called "PICTURE GALLERY #1 -- CREW PICTURES FROM MOOR HALL" you'll find a photo of a very young Jim Macaulay --

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/healing/picturegallery.html

-

travisgordon
Member # 3662

Icon 7 posted      Profile for travisgordon   Email travisgordon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,
I'm a filmmaker out of Perth, Ontario and I've been
hanging out with Jim lately, he's such a great guy and I'm learning so much from him about animation, miniatures and film.
The local paper just did a great article on him:
http://www.emcperth.ca/20100304/lifestyle/Retired+animator+keeps+artistic+skills+sharp

Cheers,
Travis Gordon
www.spellfury.com

--------------------
www.spellfury.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012