AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » Poll AN   » AN's next color?

Author Topic: AN's next color?
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
We're considering a change in the background color of the forums in January. You can help make the decision as to what the next color will be.

Please look over the samples I'm posting here and vote for the one which you like the best.

-

Any member of AN can vote, subscribed or general membership. I'll be keeping the survey open for a month to give everyone time to check in.

Vote for one. You can follow the results once you've voted.

Thanks very much!

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 32 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Scotty Arsenault
IE # 178
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scotty Arsenault   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty Arsenault         Edit/Delete Post 
But only if you change the color of the logo to match! [Smile]

--------------------
 -

Cartoons for the Common Man!

D-Zyner
Member # 3359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D-Zyner   Email D-Zyner         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted. If the design really needs a change, then "Color 4" is the nicest in my opinion. It has good contrast; else I like the current set-up.

[thumbsup]

LeftyMcKay
IE # 168
Member # 2558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeftyMcKay   Author's Homepage   Email LeftyMcKay         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Scotty as far as changing the color of the logo to match. My preference is for #4 but with the following modification:
 -

--------------------
 -

roger
IE # 141
Member # 2352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger   Author's Homepage   Email roger         Edit/Delete Post 
I did vote for option 4 sort of expecting it to end up like "lefty's" option 5

--------------------
http://www.canvas.nl

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for anything that gets AN away from looking like we sell Army boots. [tipsy]
Still think we need more to pick from though [Frown]

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Scotty Arsenault
IE # 178
Member # 116

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Scotty Arsenault   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty Arsenault         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, howzabout something like this?  -

--------------------
 -

Noogy
IE # 18
Member # 705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noogy   Email Noogy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going with 4 as well since I like cool color schemes. Easier on the eyes. But I absolutely love Scotty's logo [Wink]

--------------------
-Dean Dodrill

-

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Here's a color suggestion from Bronnie.

-

Thanks everyone for your comments and samples. I'll get to the logo later, right now I'm looking for a color change and then we can go on to other aspects of the design, but don't let that stop you from offering your comprehensive input.

I'd like to explain a couple of things. On AN's logo where it states "The Voice of the Animation Industry", that was first introduced into the look of the site in the early days by our webmaster Brett. I had nothing to do with it other than to thank him. He was so impressed with what was happening in the community as a result of AN that he decided to define the forums in this way. And in truth, he was right on.

Secondly, when it came to the color and design of the site, it was something that was handled primarily by Brett. I would've been happy with a white page. He gave it this look inspired by the site's militancy.

Brian Reynolds worked with Brett on the latest version you see here.

This next phase is going to be a timely and appropriate departure from what we've been utilizing so far. Even though times have changed and we're changing colors, I'd still like to hold on to an aspect of militancy within the design. We'll talk about that a little later on.

--------------------
 -

D-Zyner
Member # 3359

ok. I personally think that a light (maybe metallic) silver, along with a blue, would be a nice theme.
Mr.U
IE # 47
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.U           Edit/Delete Post 
Scotty's logo suggestion is really nice, and strays from the current military looking logo.
Something to think about.

D-Zyner
Member # 3359

Scotty's is nice. I think that if he continued the "film" wholes on the top and bottom to the end of the logo, and added the "4.1" to it, it would look even better! [Smile]
D-Zyner
Member # 3359

hmm, now that I think about it, are those the animation place holders? That's pretty cool [Cool] .
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I appreciate Scotty's logo design. I like it a lot. I have some reservations regarding its use on AN. It reminds me of the Guild's logo from a few years ago and I want AN's logo to be distinctive. Also, the current logo is a brand that I'd like to continue to use with some modifications.

Don't forget about the 4.1 guys. It's a reminder for April 1 and an important part of the logo. The .com has to be there as well.

I used the design from the last batch of t-shirts here. Simplified graphics will help with making the adjustment to a new background color. A black border with light gold color will work with just about any BG color.

I prepped this as an example. Comments welcome.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

These samples are along the lines of what Lefty suggested.

I took the BG color and went straight into its gray scale value, then colored the border area. That way the logo could chromatically relate to the the BG.

-

--------------------
 -

D-Zyner
Member # 3359

I like your idea a lot Charles. I hope it is alright, I took the logo and altered it a bit to submit an idea.

What if you took the "4.1" part of the logo, the way you altered it, and mixed it with the change I made (the colors while maintaining a black border).

Lighter Border:
 -

Mid-tone Border:
 -

Dark Border:
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I took your mid-tone border, left out the black outline and kept the black lettering within the yellow to see what it would look like.

-

--------------------
 -

D-Zyner
Member # 3359

I like it. The mid-ton color might look nice keeping with your previous style with the 2-tone logo.
D-Zyner
Member # 3359

tone*
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Sorry about message editing. There's a problem with it. I've got it turned on for members but it doesn't work. I've tried before and I'll try again to find a way around the glitch once we spruce up the site.

I'm leaning towards the black border against the background color. I like the strength of the contrast. In this version I'm testing the backdrop border around AnimationNation.com to see if it makes a difference.

-

--------------------
 -

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
That logo is a bit better, but still comes off as a bit angry. IMO

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

It doesn't come off as angry, it comes off as strength. That's what I see whenever I look at it.

And if it does come off as angry, then why not. Anger isn't a bad thing if it's righteous and motivates change.

Let's get the color taken care of first and a modified logo to work with it for now. Once we've got that done we'll talk about it further.

--------------------
 -

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like the dark-border-against-blue. Strength is a necessary virtue to possess if one is to survive in a merciless industry.
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thanks for your comments and suggestions everyone. There were 32 people who voted and here's the official results.

Color 4: 50% (16)
Color 1: 16% (5)
Color 2: 12% (4)
Color 3: 12% (4)
Current color: 9% (3)

I've contacted AN's webmaster and we're setting up a schedule to take care of the color change. We'll start with Color 4.

I'm going to keep the black border in the logo so the BG color can be changed without having to rework the logo design each time to match it. That way we can have the potential for a little more variety as far as the BG color is concerned. Color changes can be made easier and with more frequency.

Later on in the year we'll talk about the possibility of reworking the logo.

Thanks again for your input on this, it was very helpful.

[Edited as per D-Zyner's comments]

--------------------
 -

D-Zyner
Member # 3359

Um, Charles, Color Number "4" came in First, not number "3" [blush] .
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Oops, that's right. I made the fix, Thanks.

--------------------
 -

Scotty Arsenault
IE # 178
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scotty Arsenault   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty Arsenault         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't like the light color on the inside.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The interior logo color is something we can address later on. The purpose of this topic is to get a consensus about a color change for the general background color of the site.

I'm scheduling the reworking of the color for sometime around February 1. The color change will be good for the site. Personally I'm looking forward to it.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012