AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » Gallery   » Critique on some concept art

Author Topic: Critique on some concept art
GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Icon 7 posted      Profile for GWAStudios   Author's Homepage   Email GWAStudios         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, i'm a newbie to Animation nation and I wanted to have my artwork critiqued. I know my artwork is pretty bad (tail is weird, face is to familiar with Inuyasha, ect), and I am also looking for a teacher who can help me out. I am in the making of a game and I am also willing to pay for the lessons (via paypal). to view the artwork pls go to my website at:

http://gwagames.com/blank.html

all critique is welcome but please remain professional.

thank you ^_^
-Aurelious Alston lll

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Aurelious, welcome to AN. I checked out the video, got audio but no image. The character on your page needs to be designed from the inside out. Other words, develop the anatomy and get that to work, then clothe the character.

I'm setting up an online program in character design via my school, The Animation Academy. If you're interested in giving this a shot, let me know through AN's email address and we'll go from there.

--------------------
 -

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GWAStudios   Author's Homepage   Email GWAStudios         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote user (charles)

Cool, I would love that!!! What will I need?
- A webcam?
- A Mic?
- Writing utencis
and what is the price of it because I really would enjoy taking that class.

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Still planning it out. It'll take a little more time. Thanks for your email, will stay in touch about it.

--------------------
 -

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GWAStudios   Author's Homepage   Email GWAStudios         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright ill be here when yah need me lol

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColorInAble   Author's Homepage   Email ColorInAble         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, meant to post the "What Plugin am I NOT going to install to look at this?" question on this thread...

It's better to stick to tried and true formats for the web...

--------------------
 -

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

umm...what??? pls stay on topic dont try to diss me and stay professional

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
You almost got the clothes looking just right, and your character was good as a rough sketch; I have an idea of what you're going for.

But echoing the earlier comments, if the rough was meant as a submission for a final design, to be honest you have a ways to go. But it seems like you have a solid idea of how you want your game to look and function, all you just need now is the proper guidance to flesh it out properly and see your vision through, which Charles likely will show you shortly.

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

that was a rough desgin it wasnt suppose to be my finale

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, again it sounds like you have a solid understanding of what your goal is visually.

Keeping track of the progress of your game project as you go along, and wish you all the best at this juncture.

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

my character looked a lot like inuyash a and even though I am basing my character off of it i dont wante it to be so much like it

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

Crystal
Member # 3613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
Something that would help you a lot is to avoid looking at current anime characters and not base your characters off them. Remember anime characters are mainstream, and if you want to break out on your own, you don't want to waste your time just being yet another spinoff of a successful series.

Create your own characters from scratch, their look, their personality, their attitude, it should all be yours and even if you snip a piece from here and there it should never be obvious. Right now your character has the same type of clothes, hair and apparently composure as Inu Yasha, the question is, what is different? a slit variation in his looks is not enough to make him someone who can stand on his own two feet.

It's much more satisfying to create your own from scratch, and it doesn't give anyone the chance to say "well your character is just a rip-off of ____". Build your character from your concepts on life and personalities around you, inuyasha is already a cartoon character with unique abilities, a personality of his own and a very distinctive look. The best thing is to stay away from mainstream characters' looks as much as possible [Smile] I know it's normal to have a favorite character or type of design and you might want to use such things for inspiration, but never relay on another character's existence for yours to take life.

A good link that can help you make sure your original characters stay true to their originality is the Litmus test. http://www.ponylandpress.com/ms-test.html

I hope that helps a bit, best of luck to you!

--------------------
http://ctjemm.deviantart.com

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColorInAble   Author's Homepage   Email ColorInAble         Edit/Delete Post 
crystal, this test is just too funny [thumbsup]

I wish there was a correlary test for non anime, non epic story (I.E. strip to say 8 pages or so). I'm also having a bit of trouble defining some of these questions in America today (is being a female who is U.S. president count as unusual? is being African-American as prez unusual?)...

I hate to say it, but it seens every high school story in American entertainment these days is focused on Mary-Sue overcoming the obvious, just like the test asks...

Reading this after being in Hollywood for 8 years...
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!

At this point, I should take Carbalita's advice (see banner below)...
B.T.W. Carbalita is the FAT one at ColorInAble

--------------------
 -

Crystal
Member # 3613

It's hilarious but it's more geared to young teenage kids starting out and very mindful of the anime fads that the OP here got caught up in because even in America, anime is all the rage now, and lots of people consider it 'fresh' and original even though it's more mundane than they anticipate.

On a more serious note, here's a guide on character development especially for writers (you need it too for the visual art development because they all tie in) http://illuminara.deviantart.com/art/No-1-The-Originality-Illusion-140940524

--------------------

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

crystal, I wish this discussion was in it's own topic in general discussion because these are some of the real issues which is why I came back to this board.

The essay at deviant art is pretty good and really sums it up nicely, though I wish some of these discussions were more geared to the situation where there are characters that find themselves in a new sutuation every week(i.e. simpsons, cheers, boston legal) and not as much focused on the plot first type of story (24, ncis, speed racer). I say this in part because much animated content (american) is driven much more by our love for character "X", and how they would solve the problem, than the here's a problem, let's solve it story (ie it's more fun to watch the 3 Stooges fix a bathroom sink than it is to watch Bob Vila do the same thing)

I had a feeling the mary sue test was geared for the younger, but I have seen pros here in L.A. who could really use it!

I'm also interested because of my own properties, and trying to gage them from within the vacume that many of us work in when we work on our own creations.

Sad to leave it at that, but that's not what this thread was started about...

One last thing though. I was wondering how you would rate a character with an alter ego? Just rate Superman? Or on the quiz, do you count Clark Kent's traits as well?

--------------------
 -

Crystal
Member # 3613

This thread can benefit all of us including the OP so I see no reason for cutting the conversation short. After all, it's concept art he's bringing forward and concept art is supposed to be more than just a drawing of any random thing.

Clark Kent has a completely separate life and can be considered as a separate man to Superman, yet they're linked for the sole reason of balance. Honestly from a personal viewpoint, Superman is a boring character. He's perfect. No personality flaws, the raving, waving beacon of strength, pride and justice - jaw-breakingly yawnable. There is no substance to him, and nothing interesting about him because every situation he encounters he'd handle the same way, with brute strength, lazer eyes and a flip of his stiff, gel-caked hair.

Without Clark, Superman would be Gary Sue Ahoy. People would hate him (I already do, just thinking about it). So to break down this high candy filled personality, they bring in bumbly, somewhat silly and allround pathetic loser reporter Clark Kent as an anti-sue to balance him out. Which works well overall but Superman AND Clark together is nothing much more than a shallow cartoon character to me. For entertainment and 'wow's.

There are other characters who have met more success personality-wise and earned more favorites with the crowd. I'd say characters like Spiderman (both a loser comparatively as superhero AND alter-ego), Batman, the Joker, all very influential and powerful people but they in some respect always have a disadvantage. Did you ever wonder why "everyone loves an underdog"? It's because the underdog can relate to the normal human being much better than the perfect character can. If you think about it, Spiderman's just a kid who has a lot of power he struggles to handle and on top of that he has an anger management problem, Batman's a human anti-hero who tends towards the dark side because of his unfortunate childhood (again, anger management issues) and Joker is the pinnacle of sadistic yet somehow shows a softer side when he's around his puddin' so you're watching and waiting for Joker to become good someday.. SOMEDAY, yet he never will.

My point is this: these characters have long-term stories that have been carrying on for years, so there's lots of room for explaining how parts of their personalities come together. In a series where the story changes, not so much. If you notice, the short stories are designed for an audience of people with smaller attention spans, more like the people who work overtime and need a laugh with some adult cartoon humour, and don't quite have the time or cash to collect comic books released every week or follow a series that runs for a year or so to get to the end of the story. To compensate for such short episodes, the characters have more distinctive, in-your-face personalities that can all be fully revealed at episode one, and if you look at it too, they have many more flaws. (think of George Jetson.. the Critic.. Peter Griffin, Homer Simpson.. they're bums, not heroes). For this very reason, you can miss 10 episodes and resume where they left off and not get lost in the show. The personalities are no secret.

And that's some more on character design. It's all about knowing your audience's attention spans and how much time you're allowed for revealing their personality traits along the series. Hope it helps.

--------------------

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

I agree, this thread could help lots and lots...
And it's buried here in
Animation Nation Bulletin Board » Gallery » Critique on some concept art »
And I know many would write tomes, like I can now that I'm not using my Palm Pilot Phone to reply...
But we are 2 of probably only 5 here who know this discussion is going on, because it's supposed to be an art critque...

SO, BEFORE I WRITE ANOTHER "CHAPTER" MAYBE I'D ASK THE MODS IF THIS MAY BE SOMETHING TO MOVE TO GENERAL, OR RESTART IN GENERAL??? I'z seen you'z genuses graft parts of a discussion across the board before....

If that's too presumptuous a request, I apologize...

And let me just say, I'm sort of working backwards with this, I have some my characters in my character set that have been there for more than 25 years. And I work around the "Team" model, and the "Work" model, and it used to be 1 to 4 page indy zine comics in the day (80's - 90's). I don't draw it right now, I make art with the characters instead, and have been tuning, updating and fleshing out the set. I could say a lot more, but this definitely isn't the art crit that it's supposed to be...

And as much as I have my "House" style, I gotta say I'm not in any way married to it, and that is sort of the experiment right now with parts of it... (It's notable how much you are stressing these character traits and story traits in what you feel should influence the character and environmental design...

--------------------
 -

Crystal
Member # 3613

Ah I've always thought it was best to not craft your story around your characters but create characters that fit in with your story... I'll make up a nice character development flowchart somewhere down the line. It's dumb that I learned this much on the subject yet haven't created a single decent storyline to show for it...

Anyway, yes, creating characters before establishing your story is like throwing paint on the concrete mix before actually building the bricks that make up your house.

--------------------

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

Our discussion continues...
Crystal said

quote:
Ah I've always thought it was best to not craft your story around your characters but create characters that fit in with your story...
Many times, South Park is exactly the opposite...

The kids live in South Park, they have all their lives...
And when the PSP comes out, they get one (except Cartman).
And when Terri Schiavo is taken off life support and passes away, Kenny is taken off life support and passes away, and is then put back on, and then taken off again...
And when you have about 10 months to know when the PSP is coming out, you have time to craft a set of characters.
And when Terri Schiavo has the feeding tube removed, you have 12 days to come up with a character set, as well as a script, all designs, all animation, sound and the final air cut.

I just don't think so...

Terri Schiavo passed away 13 days after having the feeding tube removed, the day after the South Park about life support aired, and 3 days after the PSP was released, which was 2 days before that same South Park, also about the PSP aired.

There are very relevant reasons to have the character set before the story line...

And thankfully Kenny saved Heaven for us all...
May he Rest In Peace...

--------------------
 -

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

WOW, LOL I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW POPUAR THIS POST HAS GOTTEN THANX GUYS. And crystal i like your post i will print that one

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

Crystal
Member # 3613

hahaha no problem dear. Once more, best of luck.

--------------------

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Alright, and I just wanted to let you know I re-vamped Tai-Sho and he looks better. ^_^

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

Crystal
Member # 3613

Oh lovely! post him here if you feel like it, I'd love to see the art [Smile]

--------------------

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Give me either tomrrow or tuesday to post it. I have to color him and check for a little error I find in the drawing ^_^.

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012