AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » Gallery   » FAQ

Author Topic: FAQ
The Mod
Administrator
Member # 854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mod   Email The Mod         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would be a good time to have a sticky thread to help those of you newcomers who love to ask those newbie questions. There will be more question/answers to be posted as they come along and as I have time to post them here.

Question #1

How do I attach a jpg to be viewed in the gallery?

Answer:
 -

IP: Logged
Mano
Member # 1084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mano   Email Mano         Edit/Delete Post 
Question #2

How can i show a small image under my user name?

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
You need to be a subscribed member of AN in order to feature an avatar.

Here's info on how to join.

The Independent Economy

--------------------
 -

Dickie Crickitts
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dickie Crickitts   Email Dickie Crickitts         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, ok, so I need to have a website in order to post an image?
the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need a website but you do need to have a host for your images to be stored at.

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

Ewing
IEcm
Member # 3069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ewing   Email Ewing         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I understand correctly that to display my art in these pages I must first store it on my website? Can I not take it directly from my computer? I read the note on this subject in FAQ, but am none the wiser...
Please help me out on this?

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoryuken.net forums was a place I posted images so that I could link to them from here, but that site is down. Any other sites to link to where one can post directly?

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
concept art recommends using these sites to host your images :

http://www.photobucket.com/

or

http://geocities.yahoo.com/

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

HopelessDreamer
Member # 2673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopelessDreamer   Email HopelessDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we allowed to post scripts in this forum, or only images?
the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that scripts are supported under the software that we're using.

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
This post is about making sure your art fits in the Gallery, without much effort on your part.

I'm double-posting this here and in the Gallery FAQs thread. It'll stay anchored in the FAQs and this will eventually float downward like one of those propeller-like seeds. Well, that will happen only more folks posted some more of their art ....
So what are you waiting for? Help this topic sink!

Oh yeah. If you have helpful info you think is worth sharing, please do.

In Jeff Nevin's "New Art" thread:
-------------------
quote:
tstevens wrote this:

Try reloading those images at a smaller size if you can. Just make sure that you size them relative to 72 dpi so they display well and load quickly. If you open these in photoshop and display them at 100% that is how large they will be when posted on the web if you do not size them using code.
Remember, if you have to scroll the image it is probably to big.

T is always concise in his explanations. But, I figure that some people may have use for a little more information on prepping their pretty pictures prior to posting in the Gallery.
While T is concise, I'm obtuse. Don't worry. I'm dieting.
Anyhow...if you already get prepping your images for display on the Web then don't waste your time reading the following.

These days most people are using monitors that are set to a resolution of 1024x768.
There may be some stragglers who use resolutions lower than that but perhaps they also need resolutions lower than that. The visually impaired come to mind as an example. Since most visual artists likely have their monitors set to resolutions higher than 1024x768 they may never think twice about how others, non-artists, are seeing their work on the Web. The thing is artists should keep it in mind if only because you want your work to look as good as possible without much effort on the part of the viewer. Keeping it Simple and all of that....

So, what can be done?
Like tstevens says, you can test the image at 100% in Photoshop.
I'd recommend going a bit further. You should switch your monitor's display settings to 1024x768 then you should also view the image in your favorite browser. Do both of these things prior to uploading it to the Internet.
When viewing the image at the lower resolution you are going to have an idea of now most people are going to see the work. And, with the web, especially with forums, you have to expect that people don't want to do too much to surf. So, making sure the image fits from the get-go is a good way to go.

Why Oh Why should I care?
Likely, you have a sweet setup for your computer. And, it may not be too different from the setups of your peers. But, obviously, when you are publishing/broadcasting to/on the web you need to consider how your art looks and how it works.

If you are posting scanned artwork the chances are that artwork was scanned at 300 DPI or higher. Web browsers are set to display at 72-96 DPI. So always go with the lowest number and ensure that the version of your image that you are going to post has resolution settings of 72 DPI. If you are outputting in the JPEG format, you'll have the option to tweak it easily enough.

Preview button.

It is probably a good idea to use the preview button before submitting anything (words or pictures) you post on Animation Nation. There are isn't an editing feature so if you stick it up on the board, it is stuck for all to see.

Since the preview pop-up window is kind of small you may want to maximize it to see how an image fits with room to spare into that white box. If it looks too wide, well, it may be too wide.
You're awfully full of yourself, aren't you, G?
Why yes I am. In fact, if I weren't full of myself, my body would be an empty sack.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
How do I link to an image on my computer so that it shows up in Animation Nation's Gallery?

Why don't my images from GeoCities, TriPod, AngelFire and BlogSpot show up when I link to them in my Gallery postings?

Those are not unusual questions, really. And, they are strangely related, too.

First, here are rough answers to those two questions. Then if you continue to read you'll find the best options for you. If you just want to skip the limitations just scroll down to OTHER OPTIONS.

On hosting an image on your computer and linking to that file:

As stated before, while you can link to an image which exists only on your computer and share it with anyone with an internet connection, it isn't the best way to go for many reasons. So, it is best to avoid even trying to host your images on your computer and sharing it with the rest of the interested world. It can be done, true. But, it just doesn't allow for the best options for you in relation to the Gallery, Mr./Ms. Creative.
On why images hosted on GeoCities, TriPod, AngelFire and Blog*Spot don't show up:

The quick answer is that those free sites depend on advertising revenue to allow you to host your website and media on them. That revenue would be cut off if people could just use the webspace as storage. When you try to hotlink an image from those pages, you are potentially taking revenue from the site provider's pockets. They don't like that so much.

The reason why people see red Xs and little dashes instead of your stellar work is because the freesites want some deniro (and I don't mean Bobby).
So, what you can do if you want to host on freesites and link to it in the gallery is this:

1) When trying to post an image, instead of using the IMAGE button just use the URL button. Posting a direct URL will allow for people to check out your image. While it won't allow the image to be displayed on AN's pages, people will still be able to view them.

2) With Blog*Spot, or the others, you can provide a link directly to the image.
That would look LIKE the following made up address:
http://seemystuffitissorad.blogspot.com/ purtypicture.jpg

Copy and paste YOUR direct link to that image file and post it using the URL button in the Post Topic/Post Reply section of AN.

OTHER OPTIONS:

Fortunately, there are other, simpler ways of allowing *other* websites to host your images so that you can link to them so that anyone, at anytime, can view them. Once you find out those options, and understand them, you'll find that at least one is the best option for you.

Here's three really good options. One is free, Another is "free," the Last One costs a little something.

The FREE sites which DO let you hotlink images on pages such as AN's Gallery:
Photobucket
(you need to sign up but you do get way to organize your images.)
Imageshack
(no sign up but similar to the aforementioned site)
Yahoo's Flickr.com
(Flickr.com is the Shizzle.( For some twisted hipster reason. )Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you should be able to hotlink from Fickr to a Bulletin Board like AN.

"FREE"
Anyone who has internet access should get free webspace, a free webpage.
Your Internet Service Provider typically gives a chunk of internet real estate to you just for using their service. That space typically ranges anywhere from 10 megabytes to 25 megabytes. Unlike the freesites mentioned above, you CAN hotlink images from your personal webspace. In fact, you've already paid to use that space so you may as well. It may take some calls to tech support at your ISP, but, you are already paying for all of the services they provide, right?

A LITTLE SUMPTIN, SUMPTIN
The other option is to just pay for your own webpage. The costs vaires. But, you get complete control over what you have on your own site. You'll have to shop around but in the end that could be the best option just because of the control and numerous other benefits.

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to see the images in the gallery? I can't see any images (and tried right clicking the blank areas to try to View Image).

Is this a setting on my computer? If so, can one access & alter it? Also, any idea how to download Quicktime for a PC (can't view some animations).

Computers sometimes disappoint me. Thanks.

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, I notified Tom and Brian and hopefully one of them will chime in to help answer your questions. They're both better suited to deal with technical issues than I am.

As far as accessing the images posted in the Gallery, I have no idea why you can't see anything. There's nothing wrong from my vantage point. Everything appears normal.

--------------------
 -

Brian Reynolds
IE # 50
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Reynolds           Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I can think of no reason why you shouldn't be able to view the pictures in the gallery. I presume by your question that you see other graphics through your webrowser (indicating that you haven't inadvertantly turned your graphics off). Pop up blockers, spam and virus controllers, and net-nanny type software could potentially keep you from viewing certain images based on their name, software makeup, internet address, or keyword flag, but that shouldn't block ALL graphics from displaying in the gallery. I would expect with the scenario you're describing that you shouldn't be able to see graphics on any website, let alone the AN gallery. I'd recommend checking the preferences settings on your current browser, then switch to a different browser to test the results, then look at your internet monitoring software for configuration settings. If none of that works then I'm afraid I'm completely stumped.

--------------------
-Brian Reynolds

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012