my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » New AN forums about to launch

Author Topic: New AN forums about to launch
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
As many of you are aware, we've been working on getting a new forum system set up for AN. We're very close to switching to the new forums and anticipate doing so within the next few days.

We'll be using this thread to update you on the status of the switch and also to let folks know what they can expect from the new system as far as features and functionality go.

We're going through a final run through and everything looks pretty good so far.

It's going to be different from what you're used to, and we're going to have to adapt to something that is beyond what we've been utilizing, but I think the advantages of the new forums vastly outweigh what we get from the current ones.

We're almost there, and we'll be keeping you informed now that we're at the final stages.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Law
IE # 112
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Law   Author's Homepage   Email Law         Edit/Delete Post 
sweet! will we have to re-register or will our profiles from this forum transfer over?

-L

--------------------
www.lawrencejackson.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

You'll have to re-register. When we're ready for it, current users will have to contact us by email and we'll set up a basic account for you. Once you're registered, you'll be able to edit / personalize your account in more ways than what you can do now.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

One of the features that the new forums will have is an edit function. Something that our members have had to live without up until now.

We've tested the edit function and it's working. To preserve the integrity of the discussions and the history of each topic, there'll be a time limit on how long our members will have to edit their comments. Right now it's set for 20 minutes, which should be plenty of time to read through what a member has published and make corrections or changes.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

As we mentioned before, the new forums will also allow our members to post video directly to the page. And our members will be able to upload graphics without having to host the images on another site, server or at a remote location.

The creative experience will be greatly enhanced. The experimentation we've done in this regard will make with the new forums alot more fun to use.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

One more thing I should mention about registering accounts. Our policy of contacting the staff and identifying yourself as a requisite of registration will remain in effect. Our commitment to a troll free environment will not change. Everyone is welcome to register with us, but we ask that you let us know who you are as a condition of opening an account.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

You'll be able to subscribe to a specific forum, or even a specific topic.

You'll also be able to see how many times a topic has been viewed.

Graphically, we'll be able to do many more things with the new forums than we can with the current ones. We can design the background to match our homepage, and we'll be able to have banner links on each forum page in a way that we haven't been able to do here. So we'll be able to promote much more effectively, without having to rely on a topic thread alone to get the word out about something worthwhile.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I like the new forums. I like the look and feel of them. I'm confident enough with where they're at right now to share a link and you can see how we're beta testing. I think that will be the first step, watching the crew work it prior to registration. Then we overlap the close the old forums while detailing the new one.

I see us being there by the end of the week, by Friday or the weekend at latest, and then we can say our goodbyes here before committing the ol forums to the stud farm of history.

I see the new AN Forums as condusive to a wide creative expression as opposed to the soap box of the mother of all animation warriors over the years. Although we will certainly continue with that legacy, it'll be interesting to see how it develops from here.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

We made alot of progess today and are setting up a registration page that will help speed up the process for folks looking for an account on the new forums.

We'll be ready for showing the new forums very soon.

One thing I'd like to mention beforehand, we don't have a Side Topics Forum set up yet. with the experiences we've had with Side Topics over the years, it isn't a high priority with us at this time. We'll figure out some way of exapnding into other topics, but for the time being in the early days of this new medium for us, we'd like to keep the new AN Forums animation centric.

--------------------
 -

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I agree, I usually stay away from Side Topics, because of the nastyness that can go with it. Good job Charlies, Snakebite & Adrian. I can't wait to see what you come up with for us!

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Happy to be going in this direction. Adrian and Snakebite are doing a really remarkable job with everything. They deserve all the credit.

Yep, it's too bad that Side Topics got pulled off to the side by so much by abuse. Live and learn. But I guarantee that if we do have some sort of side topic aspect to the new AN Forums, it will never happen again.

I've been thinking of ways of utilizing the new forums and I'm getting ideas for interesting things to go into. Primarily, I keep seeing the video part of it as being the most significant new feature. We'll be able to do very cool things with it.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thanks C! But the vision originally was yours 11 years ago and here we are finally getting to the core intent of what A.N. was suppose to be about all these years. Live and learn for sure. And we learned so much. About the internet, the world, our peers, our industry, ourselves. And we grew and evolved.

YES! the video is what I'm most excited about as well. AND the ways in which people can post images. One does not need a host or images online to post anymore. One merely has to upload from their personal hard drives to share with the world whenever they are inclined!

It's all gonna be about the original content of our members. People might be shocked at first with all the new visual aspects of our new board, but I think they will see how it benefits the big picture!

Keep Creating!!!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Law
IE # 112
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Law   Author's Homepage   Email Law         Edit/Delete Post 
can't WAIT!!!

--------------------
www.lawrencejackson.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Adrian's set up a registration page that will speed up the process for everyone looking to open an account with us. Both current members and new people looking to join. You'll have to positively identify yourself for the system to work. The best way to do this is to have a website or blog available for us to review. You'll be required to submit your site as part of the registration process. Your account will not be cleared unless your identity is confirmed and we can be certain of who you are.

Things are moving along smoothly. We'll be making the switch over to the new forums soon.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

There's still some adjustments we need to make, minor ones it appears, but overall, the new forums are working out very well.

In my experimentations I was able to embed, in parts yet in its entirety, an animated feature film previously posted on YouTube. I don't think it's possible to embed more than one video at a time in each post, so I featured each part in a subsequent post and it worked out fine. All a reader/viewer has to do is scroll down and watch each video progressively.

The new forums are going to make a huge difference in the experience our members have on AN, as well as our visitors.

--------------------
 -

PHIL
IE # 137
Member # 1808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PHIL   Email PHIL         Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,

I don't have a website or blog set up for my work, only my facebook account would confirm who I am. Does that qualify?

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Enough with the suspense already, launch the new forums! I can't take another week of "We'll be launching our new forums soon!".

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Phil, that would be fine.

Greg, we're there. There's a few details we're working on that need to be taken care of first. Be patient, we're right on the verge. Let us do what we have to do get everything completely ready.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I posted previously that I thought it wouldn't be possible to embed more than one video per post, but Adrian informs me otherwise.

Also, there's a little glitch that I'm experiencing on Safari when it comes to pictures that I've uploaded. On my computer, the graphic didn't initially load, then it does when refreshed. This isn't a problem with Firefox and it doesn't seem to be a problem with Safari on other computers. We're getting things worked out.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I'm experimenting with loading pictures and graphics. It's as easy as attaching a file to email. Also, if you click on the image you loaded, another window will appear that will show the picture at its true size. If you have more than one picture, you'll be able to scroll backwards and forward to view each picture progressively depending on how many you've included in the topic, even if they're in a different post in the same thread.

I highly recommend using Firefox as your browser for the new forums.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The ease and convenience by which video and images can be posted on the new forums is really remarkable. This will change the nature of the forums significantly.

If you're looking for a place to feature your content without submitting it to a blog for approval and acceptance beforehand, the new AN Forums will do the trick for ya. I see great possibilities with this. It's a big step forward.

--------------------
 -

hamsterbite
IE # 3
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hamsterbite   Email hamsterbite         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many ways there are to say how great this sounds. Thank you, guys!
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Adrian informs us that we'll be able to embed video from Vimeo as well as YouTube and GoogleVideo. It appears that the new forums will be able to accommodate just about any video format.

There is one drawback that we're not able to work around. When a link is posted, a new window doesn't open. Instead, you're taken to the site on the same window. On the old forums, a new window would do this, but not on the new ones. Adrian explains the reason for it being that the standard for sites now is to not break the go back button. I guess developers have had feedback over the years that a new window is not preferable to a go back feature. Personally I prefer a new window that doesn't take viewers away from the site, but that's the way it goes. There's nothing we can do about it as it's part of the code of the system, so we'll have to live with it.

We're very close folks, just a few more details to take care of. We anticipate featuring the new forums perhaps as soon as today.

--------------------
 -

mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojodesign   Author's Homepage   Email mojodesign         Edit/Delete Post 
The new features sound fantastic. I can't wait to re-register too...I'm looking forward to using my real name. Mojo is SO last decade [Wink] .

-Jose S.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I'll be introducing the new forums soon. Before I do I'd like to say a couple of things.

First off, thank you Adrian and Snakebite for all the work you've done to make them a reality. I especialy want to thank Adrian, our webmaster, for the absolutely incredible job he's done with the new forums. I can't say enough about the enormity of his work and dedication to this. Without him none of it would be possible.

Secondly, you'll be able to register for the new forums right away. We ask that you remain patient as it will take some time to clear your accounts. We'll be doing this on a first come first serve basis and it's likely that we won't begin clearing accounts until sometime tomorrow. So once again, be patient with us, we'll be on it and doing what we can to get everyone ready for the new forums.

Meantime, you can still use these forums for communicating. We'll be keeping them going for a little while longer as a backup and to help migrate everyone to the new system.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012