AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » SPECIAL EVENT - AN NIGHT with DON BLUTH - May 25, 2010 (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: SPECIAL EVENT - AN NIGHT with DON BLUTH - May 25, 2010
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Getting things started.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, C!
Yes indeedy! We're all working very hard to make sure this event is extra special. We're all special, but there is great significance to Don Bluth's visit and we want to make it a historic event.

Because of the extra work we have had extra expenses so even though A.N. Night is free, this night I'm gonna have to call a "Special Event" because we need to charge at the door to cover the costs. I hate to do it, but we have to make sure we can continue giving you such great monthly events.

SO it will be $10 at the door. That gets you and one guest in. If you come by yourself, it's still $10..but you can always split it with the person behind you in line if they came alone too.

We'll have our usual affordable and delicious pizza, water and soda. I also plan on arranging some other goodies as well.

The seat arrangements will be different too. To utilize the space, I plan on a new layout. Seats are first come, first serve and I expect to be at full capacity for this event so you might want to get there a little earlier.

We're working on a newsletter to be emailed out in the next couple days covering all the details. Then we'll send out a reminder email a week before the event. So don't worry, if you're registered to receive our newsletter then you will be updated..
http://animationnation.com/an_mass_email/sum/?p=subscribe&id=1
and of course we'll up date you here on the Message Board.

See ya all soon!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
We should proclaim May 2010 as AN's official party month in honor of Don Bluth cuz that what it feels like. Maybe we should call this coming AN Night the ultimate Don Bluth Party.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Counting down, 19 days to AN Night with Don Bluth.

--------------------
 -

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
18 days.

--------------------
skynet[at]animationnation.com
http://www.alivenotdead.com/slipperysky
http://www.slipperysky.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
STOP REMINDING ME! I still have much to organize.

ok ok, remind me! this is gonna be great!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Sometimes it seems some of our members can't quite see the bigger picture when it comes to AN.

There's a monthly event we sponsor called AnimationNation Night. We've been doing it for well over a year now, and it's been hugely successful in bringing people together and in taking the AnimationNation movement to the next level.

This coming May 25, a mere two weeks away, we're going to be hosting the great Don Bluth.

That's pretty darn remarkable if I do say so myself.

Don Bluth is going to be our special guest folks.

AN is more than just a message board people.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Two weeks.

--------------------
 -

hamsterbite
IE # 3
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hamsterbite   Email hamsterbite         Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty huge. I wish they'd finish that Florida/California bridge.
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Less then one week away!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Mister Niacin
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mister Niacin   Email Mister Niacin         Edit/Delete Post 
I just came down with a cold a few days ago. I want to make it to the Don Bluth showing so I hope I am still not too sick to go on Tuesday.

Dammit, why did I have to get sick right now?

--------------------
http://godhatesbrocolli.deviantart.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Tomorrow night!

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

SO excited!!!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

In a little less than 24 hours from now we'll be opening the doors for AN Night with Don Bluth.

2006 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank 91506

--------------------
 -

LaciMorgan
Member # 3692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaciMorgan   Author's Homepage   Email LaciMorgan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!

I'm an animation student and freelance artist based around San Bernardino, and I just discovered this site. I'm excited about attending the Don Bluth event tomorrow night and am looking forward to meeting you all! [Smile]

--------------------
www.lacimorgancreations.com

Izzyguard
Member # 3660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzyguard   Email Izzyguard         Edit/Delete Post 
SOOO EXCITED YES YES YES!

I will be attending. This is gonna be so dang awesome!

--------------------
DeviantART | Facebook

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally I'll get to go to one of these events. What's the cross street? Magnolia and what? Any landmarks?

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

kidfrodo
Member # 3612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidfrodo   Author's Homepage   Email kidfrodo         Edit/Delete Post 
got class tomorrow night, but i'll be the in spirit. hope you guys have a blast

--------------------
http://www.kidfrodo.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

2006 W. Magnolia is about a mile straight north of the Disney lot. It's 4 1/2 blocks east of Buena Vista and a half block east of Keystone, which is a stoplight. It's on the south side of the street. It's a two story building. Look for the Burbank Association of Realtors. Go upstairs to the hall.

If the parking lot is full, there's plenty of free parking on the streets. Doors open at 7 pm. Our discussion with Don will probably get started around 7:45 or thereabout.

--------------------
 -

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Found it on Google street maps.

--------------------

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
Its also next to/ to the left of a white church.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
Say hi to Don for me!

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Click Here for Map

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I think we're going to have alot of people there.

--------------------
 -

Plai
IE # 298
Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plai   Author's Homepage   Email Plai         Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun!

--------------------
Plai.tv

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Dang it! I got halfway there and had transportation problems! Pisses me off!

I'll have to see you guys this weekend at the comic convention.

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Incredible, amazing night. I'm told by someone who did a head count that we had over 200 people there. Don was sensational. The crowd loved him. My only regret is that it had to end.

Wow, what can I say.

The words "thank you" just don't do it, but here goes.

Thank you Don, thank you Dave. A huge congratulations to Snakebite for organizing this fantastic event. Thanks to everyone who helped out. Glen Moyes, Evan Cooper, Alan Simmons, Chance Raspberry... and whoever I may have overlooked.

Adrian Foster's music was unbelievabley good. I had no idea Skynet was that much of a virtuoso. Perfect music for the evening.

This AN Night will be a very hard one to top. Historic in its significance. Don Bluth is a great artist and a great man.

--------------------
 -

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, personal issues kept me from attending, but am happy to learn that it went off without a hitch.

I would have loved to meet Don Bluth, so I won't even pretend that I didn't hate the fact that I couldn't come. I'm equally comforted by the fact that these lingering issues won't exist for long, so before long I'll be rejoining Charles, Bite and Skynet.

Skynet must've kicked ass, and that's another thing I hated missing, judging from his Exit Insanity piece.

A historic AN Night it must've been, indeed.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Some people were asking about you E. Allen. Not the same without your presence at AN Night the past few months. You're missed, and we're looking forward to seeing you again.

--------------------
 -

willryan
Member # 1708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willryan   Email willryan         Edit/Delete Post 
Great showing last night from Charles and the crew: Don Bluth has to be the definition of positivity, humility, and most of all, vitality! I hope I have a shred of that man's energy when I hit my 70's. He shared some great stories on the making of some of his films, including some humorous tales about Spielberg & Lucas during the days of Land Before Time. We found out Secret of Nihm was the favorite movie he made.

But the focus was surprisingly more about the future then the past: upping animator's skillset beyond the self-indulgent love of motion and into the realm of good original acting, finding a way to keep the audience's desire for hope and not cynicism in mind while breaking stories and performances for film, and warning about getting lazy while we take on the journey of a career in animation.

More than half of the time was just Don taking questions from the sizable crowd. It was incredible to watch someone I respect like Stephen Silver have a chance to ask Don Bluth his advice on going independent: who better to ask and what an opportunity for everyone in attendance. The crowd had a good run of intelligent questions rather than devolving into fanboy-ism. Snakebite made sure of that [Big Grin]

Big thanks once again to the AN Crew, this was my first Animation Night and it's going to be a tough one to follow up.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The event was videotaped and we'll have it up on AN's Frontlines once it's ready. When the new forums are up we'll be able to feature the video directly on General Discussion as well. Everyone will have a chance to see Don in action and hear what he had to say.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!

what a night. my back is aching from all the setting up and striking down. But it was so worth it!!!

Thank you to everyone who showed up to support us. Thank you to everyone that helped me make this night sing. Thanks to Charles for the years of inspiration and thank you to Don Bluth for being so amazing and sharing your good nature and experience. Thank you to Dave Monahan for coming
our with Don and showing us your support. Time for a road trip! I need more time with Don and company.

I really appreciate everyone that was there. Everyone had great attitudes, good vibes and good conversation. The evening was organic, even when stuff didn't go as planned it still ended up working our beautifully!

You all rock!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Metsys
Member # 3503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metsys   Email Metsys         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what willryan said. Don had such an amazingly positive attitude. What made this AN Night so great is the way everyone felt. What a great way to lead into the new AN.

--------------------
http://glenmoyes.blogspot.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

One of the things that really impressed me about the evening was how many young people were there. They made up the huge majority of the crowd. Don is still in touch and is very much influentual with the youth of the industry. Especially after this.

There were several prominent artists from animation in attendance, but I'm surprised how many people from AN who are estalished in the business and who've been with us for many years continually don't show up for an AN Night. You guys don't know what you're missing and how valuable the experience can be for you.

The vitality of AnimationNation can really be seen and sensed at an AN Night, and I think that last evening with Don, it catapulted everything into the next level of the stratosphere.

As if it was something pulled from Side Topics, one of the subjects he talked about was the musical harmonics that emmanate from planets. And he related this to animation! It was truly an exceptional experience listening to him and even the seasoned pros that were there were humbled by what they learned from him.

During intermission, I was speaking with Sherry Beall, who has a radio show on Friday afternoons at 1:30 in LA on KPFK 90.7 FM (Healthy Planet, Healthy Me), and she was amazed at the event. She asked me a few questions about what we do and what we're about and I remember telling her to look at the crowd cuz we're the future.

Everyone is welcome at AN Night.

--------------------
 -

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind words Charles. I just wanted to provide the atmosphere that was needed. I hope it was ok for everyone and hope Don approved, but either way it was my pleasure to help set the mood. I'll gladly do it again any time.

Everything seemed to flow so perfectly all on it's own. Don Bluth was sensational as usual and it was great to see Dave Monahan again. I will be waiting for the next time we all meet again. There were a lot of great people there. The place was packed and the night went so fast.

It was an amazing night. Thanks to everyone.

--------------------
skynet[at]animationnation.com
http://www.alivenotdead.com/slipperysky
http://www.slipperysky.com

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Last night was one of the weirdest nights following one of the weirdest days of my life. I kid you guys not.

It started out Twilight Zone like regarding this babe I met the other night who suddenly out of the blue showed up at lunch. It was eerie how it happened. Then I had to handle a major business and finance emergency that was bothering me all day but said to myself I was going to the AN Night no matter what. I'm getting into the car and this strange lady, if I described her it would freak you out, started jabbering about the highways and so on.

She wouldn't shut up. She was dressed sharp as a tack but had weird dreadlocks and spooky blue eyes. Then as I head to Burbanks I get into thick traffic and by the time I get through Glendale it was like a freakin' time warp happened. I was stuck on the road past 9 o'clock and overshot my away time from the studio. By the time I would get to the AN building it would be time to come home. I shoot back home, sit down and lo and behold client after client comes after me to do work for them. I had to negotiate fast and lock down prices and schedules. It was an avalanche. Had I been at the AN event I would have missed it.

It was weird. ( I know I'm being redundant but perhaps surreal would have been a better choice of words.)

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Greg, those things happen. I wasn't singling you out in my previous comments, just so you'll know. I was speaking in general. All of the people in animation who've been on AN for years and who live in the area but have dropped off of here or never got into what the AN movement was about in the first place. AN Nights have really underscored the appeal of AnimationNation, and it's mostly the next generation that is getting the message.

--------------------
 -

droosan
IE # 4
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droosan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Charles said:
There were several prominent artists from animation in attendance, but I'm surprised how many people from AN who are estalished in the business and who've been with us for many years continually don't show up for an AN Night. You guys don't know what you're missing and how valuable the experience can be for you.

I can't speak for anyone else .. but 7 PM on a weeknight is still well within my work day. It's the same reason I don't show up for most ASIFA events.

If I have any kind of 'deadline' at all (and this week I certainly do), weeknights are an impossibility for me. I was only able to attend the Dean Yeagle AN Night a few months back because I happened to not be working that week.

--------------------

That said, I'm glad to hear that the event went well, and a good time was had by all. [Smile]

I've had the good fortune to meet Mr. Bluth on a couple of occasions, so I was kinda there, in the 'Kevin Bacon' sense. [funny]

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I realize a lot of people are busy with work and dealing with life and how hectic things are for everyone. But AN Nights go on for a long time. We open the doors at 7 pm and the activities usually don't get started until around 7:45. Everyone mingles beforehand and the the first pizzas usually arrive after 8, around 8:30 or so. We may be changing that and have pizza available when we open.

Sometimes there's still a crowd at midnight, so there's plenty of time to stop by and say hello folks.

Anyway, glad things like work are keeping ANers busy. Better than the alternative.

If you've got something to promote, AN Nights are a great way of connecting with an animation centric crowd. We're happy to help get the word out about what you're doing and introduce you to the crowd ladies and gents. Keep this in mind for the future.

--------------------
 -

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A very "electric" evening(that's the word that comes to mind), and another reminder of the power and impact of attending an event or engagement live. I think the last couple of decades have given people the impression that communication devices can take the place of face to face meetings. They so don't and this was another reminder of this. You may have read texts that Don has written, but there's nothing like hearing him in person.
One thing that stuck with me was the stories and accounts of the darker side of Disney(and other studios). Artists, voice actors, composers, etc., are not immune to emotional troubles, and sometimes turn to drugs, drinking, and even suicide. I had no idea that these things were happening on the scale that they were with the Disney creatives.
Other things I learned, (or was reminded of):
Art, acting, color and music all work together to make a project and should not be thought of as independent.
An Oscar statuette counts as carry on luggage on a plane, at least it did back in the 80's.
The color yellow corresponds to the musical key of "E".
I also liked hearing Don's honest and insightful opinions of some of the recent Pixar and Dreamworks animated films.
By the way, I think the short film that Don and the others made on their own was "Banjo, the Woodpile Cat". I don't remeber hearing that actual title last night, but I found the film on YouTube in 3 parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QozwP4VmKcs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5Q8mSuXck&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu_BSnYU4c8&feature=related

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012