AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » A New Beginning. (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: A New Beginning.
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the message. I agree with the points about letting go of bad attitudes to move forward.

But with my personal philosophy the point is lost when one says the last thing we need is more ego. I think thats where looking at ego as a bad thing messes things up.

In order to deal with and to change and to stand up to injustices of our community one needs a mighty ego. Belief in oneself takes ego.

Again, I'm not taking away anything from Dons positive message or yours. I agree for the most part, but I think it would be mistake to tell people to lose their ego. I'd agree if one said "stop letting your fear dictate the actions of your ego", but in order to face ourselves, in order
to get away from elitism, in order to foster a new positive direction you need ego.

Ego just doesn't do one thing. You say if thats what ego does then its not a good thing. I say thats what people choose to do with their ego, but there are plenty of people like you, Don, Me, Skynet who use their ego to spread positive messages and positive change. Thats where I think Tolle does a disservice to his message.

If its about jealousy, contention, obstruction then those are the issues. But egos can nurture, construct, tear down walls and empower people.

I'm not saying my ego is in check all the time. Sometimes it gets out of control. But thats my fault, not the ego. I can use the ego in better ways if I choose to. When I fuk up its on me, not my ego. But I need my ego to realize I fuked up and still continue to move forward.

anyways, words are a biotch. I say we go back to the unspoken word.lol

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

IP: Logged
Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the ego really isn't a "good" or "bad" thing. It is just a "thing" that we use. But we do have good and bad users and abusers of ego. All good deeds and bad deeds can be results of an ego. I didn't mean originally that we should erase our ego from our minds completely in every situation because I couldn't be sure what that would mean or if it's even possible. Pretty much everything that you think about or do that concerns yourself is related to your ego either entirely or in some way. At a certain point I feel like it almost becomes a paradox. If being completely selfless makes you feel better about yourself, is that still your ego? I try to be careful not to make absolute decisions on abstract ideas (or maybe anything), even if it is my own because nothing stays the same. I usually don't "follow" a specific idea or perception but instead what each idea or perception leads me to next. There is always a new perception to be had and it seems to want to be an eternal process.

As I was saying I think the complexity of the ego makes it something that you can't slap on the table and say, this sack is my ego. If this were the case, you'd have to slap your whole self up on the table. I do think it is one of the most important tools you can use to learn more about your self. Your ego helps determine how you react to all the things that happen to you. There may be moments when you need your ego and other moments when the ego is unnecessary. It can bring the best and worst out of people.

Either way I think humans are a very long way from knowing how to exist without the ego. Let's not get too high on ourselves and think we can live without it. Ha! Well, we'd probably need another 1000 years to evolve that far anyway, but that doesn't mean we can't learn to control it and use it for learning more about ourselves and lots of positive stuff. Isn't that part of evolution?

Ultimately it would seem every person is a single expression of the whole realm of nature, a unique individual action of the total universe, but even if we know this to be true in theory, we may not literally sense or perceive it, but continue to see ourselves as isolated egos.

--------------------
skynet[at]animationnation.com
http://www.alivenotdead.com/slipperysky
http://www.slipperysky.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be fair to say that without my ego, for better or for worse, I'd lose my sense of self.

As with everything, in moderation and balance is where these sorts of things belong. Unfortunately, we are in an environment where "moderation" is absent from the general vocabulary. If something can be taken to excess, it will be and with reckless abandon.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not about the ego, it's about egoic thinking. The ego laying ownership claim to one's thoughts. Like strong opinions that you don't give up even when you know you're wrong.

The ego is necessary for self love, and it's not possible to truly love others without self love. The ego that wants to own thought things like... This cartoon or this style is the best there ever was cuz I said so... or... We're this organization or group and we're above scrutiny simply because we're this organization or group... That's how the ego and egoic thinking plays into the particulars that Don has laid out.

Skynet states that the ego is just a thing and it is. But to get to the highest plane of spiritual existence, it is the place of "no thing". Mystics have strived for it for a long long time, to find the no thing state of consciousness. Only to be.

But the rest of us gotta be, and that means dealing with the "I" inside us all. That's what ego literally means in the Greek. The "Me".

Ego eime - I am.

An eternal New Beginning with no end.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Actually, the word "eime" by itself means "I am" and is commonly used that way in the Greek language. Therefore, "ego eime" can be more appropriately understood as "I that I am". Or maybe "me being me", or "me that exists as me". A straight out translation based on the actual two words reads as "I I am".

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
the Rastas called it I and I. The truest battle a man can have. Know thyself.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Know Thyself - Gnothi Sauton, pronounced "GNOthi savTON". Literally means "Know the You".

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Do You.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I'm not sure about the Greek for that.

I don't know myself entirely, but I'm always trying to and learning more all the time.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

You need your ego for that.lol
yeah, well if any one tells you they got nothing to learn I'll call them a liar. We're all just babies.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Those who refuse to evolve from where they began, are doomed to remain where they are.

Stagnation is a choice, usually resulting from someone with an overabundance of confidence about their own intellect.

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good words E. I think confidence is another device that can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how it's used. Everything comes down to moderation and use. Because you also need confidence to evolve but too much confidence will get you in trouble. There needs to be a balance in every thing you do.

Yeah we're all very young but there are infants and there are babies....

Know Thyself, like in The Matrix? Not sure if it is what they intended, but this is what the movie meant to me. I've never used that movie as a reference for something like this but since since you brought it up... Most people are jacked into some programs that have been fed into or generated in their brain since birth and they have no idea where, what or who they really are. Everything is systemized and taught. No real questions outside of the systems are asked. The perfect slaves believe they are free and they stay transfixed by the web of illusions, the illusions within the illusion... except for the persistent few. Sound like The Matrix? Well, the similarity pretty much stops for me after that.

Most probably wouldn't consider this but it seems that when you start to "awaken" it really is like waking up hairless in a tub of slime that you eject out of and the first thing you see is all the sleeping people everywhere, billions and billions of them, well, except for the slime part. I've never heard of people experiencing slime, maybe in obscure cases. Hairless is very possible although probably not too common.

The problem is that "knowing thyself" is a very difficult, exhausting path and it's personal. You have to enter and travel all by yourself. Some rare adepts of the self can give you hints, clues, inspiration and encouragement from their own experiences but that's it. After that the ball is in your hands, but I also believe there are clues everywhere. For most people the gateway into the self is probably like trying to find a contact lens on a beach. You keep thinking you found it but each time it turns out to be a small bubble that disappears when you touch it and you have to start looking again. Then once you find the lens or an entrance, it is not easy to stay on the path. The previous programs and system will keep cutting in, jamming the frequency, distracting you and throwing you off the tracks. Most people will tell you they already know exactly who they are and that is the first block, or program. Once you break through that one, then there is fear. That is the killer. Once you pass fear, you'll never want to go back. Hmmm, is that The Matrix again?

--------------------

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

I almost never evoke Matrix ideology, but an alarming amount of it corresponds with the fundamentals of individualism and the philosophy of the Self.

Come to think of it, another film featuring similar themes come from the creators of The Matrix, V for Vendetta!

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Right Enoch...

"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe". -V

And another good one for the current time, or all the time...

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -V

I sometimes think about the phrase itself, "Know Thyself - Gnothi Sauton" and if there is any difference in the way it was used, like in early Greek times (and before that) compared to today. Ultimately it means the same thing when you put it to the proper use, but it seems as the surrounding realities change sometimes the philosophies have to adapt as well to accommodate the current state of mind. States of mind in general also adapt in a negative way or become stagnate as we can see and as Enoch mentioned. I've seen so many people drop the phrase like it's nothing who don't seem to know that much about who they are. Do people in general know what Knowing Thyself really means? What do you feel or think about when you ask who you are? In a way it's like asking what "love" means except a lot more complicated because knowing love is only one small aspect of knowing yourself.

The feeling I sometimes get is that it's a social taboo, outlawed or prohibited to truly know your self, unless you keep it a secret. The phrase is only used lightly and never actually pursued by humans. Does anyone know anyone who really knows who they are? I've never met anyone who could honestly admit that fully without question. Is that why it's a taboo? Are people afraid because no one really knows who they are? And if you talk about or make it known that you are regularly and actively taking the dive deep inside your own mind to investigate what and who you are, people in general may start looking at you a little differently, wondering who is this weirdo. Well, it's not me. I'm normal and have no idea who I am... heh... but once you go deeper into the self, that's where we all really become the same without question.

Anyway, I'm not saying we all have to be devoted seekers of the self, but maybe this attitude that Don brings to light would be a little less if people watched themselves closer, observed their actions and directed their awareness onto their own thoughts and mental activity, and observed closely how they react to themselves and to others. Isn't that what it means to be conscious? When I see someone getting all worked up, talking behind backs, upset, jealous or whatever, I sense that as these programs are running, consciousness has left the building.

Anyway, like I think I said back there somewhere, I'm sure the "private sector" is doing and will be doing more of what Don is suggesting here. His words should be an inspiration and remind people of this fact. I think it is a movement that will continue to grow, especially locally. When people come together and do what they do best, incredible things happen. We've seen an extreme example of this at the last AN Night.

--------------------

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Wouldn't that be something, Skynet.

But the wisdom of the Hollywood crowds dictate that once you find what you've sacrificed everything to get, you're no longer obliged to be the person you were while you were on the quest to get what you finally got.

The faulty aspect of this pop wisdom is that it doesn't take into account the ease with which these gains are lost. Once you change into another person, and in this case I'm talking about a worse person within a morality context, it takes having even more painful experiences to change back into the person you were while you were suffering to achieve your goal. Sometimes, those people never learn the value of learning about your Self, and as a result they talk without knowing, desperately trying to convince those who know, and ultimately suffer Identity Crises as a result.

This is why I'm continually surprised at people whenever they continue to engage in these practices, thinking that this will ultimately payoff. The outcome's almost always the same--they end up constantly regretting their irreversible bad decisions when they finally lose the success they sacrificed so much to gain. Ill-gotten success is not success; it's the illusion of it, pursued by, as Skynet said, people who have never had the opportunity to properly understand their Selves and their role in the bigger Collectives, these movements where teams of artists gather to foster changes that cause lasting impact for the benefit of all involved.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I think in many ways the animation community has made big progress over the years towards a New Beginning, but "the legacy of jealousy and artistic contention" as Don described still remains and is being passed along from one generation to the next. We've seen it play out on AN many times over the years and still to this day. Consider how the Animation Guild is behaving on the forums lately and you have a clear example of exactly with this topic is all about.

For years as an educator in this industry, one of my highest priorities has been to develop a sense of comaradery within my students. Encouraging them not to get caught up in the petty jealousy and infighting that we all too commonly experience among animation artists.

Ya gotta show love. Even when they don't love you, ya gotta show love. That's how you fight the negativity.

The older I get, the more I try and show love to people. It gives me peace in my spirit and peace of mind. Doesn't mean I have to compromise my principles or beliefs, but it helps in helping others and in knowing myself better.

This is Easter weekend coming up, and the season for a New Beginning. Without turning this into something religious and in keeping with the sharing of personal philosophies here, I'm reminded of what Jesus Christ said regarding love for one another.

The greatest love is when someone is willing to give up their life for a friend.

If we're going to grow and fully emerge into a New Beginning, some compassion for each other would help.

There's no need to be angry. There's no need to be hostile. There's no need to be jealous or fearful. We're all in this together. We're in a business that we love and we're lucky to be in this business. Let's count our blessings and appreciate each other more.

So what if I don't share the same opinion about a cartoon that you do. So what if you draw better than me. I'll learn from you. What difference does it make if I animate traditionally or in 3D. What difference does our differences make. We have much more in common than in what we imagine seperates us.

Don't be afraid of a New Beginning. For ourselves personally and as a community. Don't run and hide from it, don't fight it. Embrace it. It's a good thing.

Peace

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

and thats word.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

although...I like a good heated engagement from time to time. Its the balance.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

If you want a heated engagement, you could also try speaking softly while shooting fire from a flame thrower, creating an intense hell-bent aura of tranquility.

--------------------

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

That sounds good actually.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Spoken like a true artist, Skynet!
Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

It's just a ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUiwTubYu0

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012