AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Avatar: the influence of story telling around the world

Author Topic: Avatar: the influence of story telling around the world
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quick little anecdote. I was listening to NPR the other day. The story was on China and their growing cinema. The main focus was on the movie Avatar.The Chinese government pulled it from the theaters before the end of its run and replaced it with an unprecedented 2500 copies of their epic new release, The Story of Confucious. It was said the government didn't want their people having any ideas about their rights. They considered the movie to represent human rights, such as outrageous evictions in certain regions
and they feared it would give those people ideas about fighting back.

Not to mention China's strict internet control. These guys know the power of the story. The inspiration behind these worlds creators like Cameron build.

More powerful then guns. The true revolution will be spread through art. Thats why we must protect our rights at all cost. No rights, no voice. No voice, no rights.

I think this story just empowered me a little bit more. I think it should inspire all of you. When you create, you have personal power. You can move nations.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
"The pen is mightier than the sword."

Edward Bulwer-Lytton - 1839

--------------------
 -

AnimationGirl
IE # 303
Member # 3628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnimationGirl   Email AnimationGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The pen is mightier than the sword."

Edward Bulwer-Lytton - 1839

That's a beautiful quote Charles. [Smile]
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
The pen may be mightier than the sword but the gun beats em' both.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Plai
IE # 298
Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plai   Author's Homepage   Email Plai         Edit/Delete Post 
We need a second renaissance and a third one right after that just in case.

--------------------
Plai.tv

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yo Greg, if your pen convinces the people who are fooled into holding the gun to put them down...then your pen out trumps them all!

thats the key. these evil people need good people to join their military and support their rule. If we convince those guys that they have been fooled then evil has no power.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
The Internet is mightier than the gun.

--------------------
 -

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ted.com/talks/alex_tabarrok_foresees_economic_growth.html

There's a philosophy elaborated on optomistically in this speech about Jeffersons quote on lighting candles...how allowing others to light their candles from yours does not darken us.....but that just ain't human nature. I think SOME folks are more inclined to believe that once someone lights their candle from yours they'll blow yours out to get the upper hand.

Ignorance and fear seem to rule everything power-hungry humans do...utopia is a concept and not one easily achieved...in fact few are brave enough to try to work for it.

A very simple psychological game called the prisoners dilemma has shown that even when all other factors are controlled, humans are by nature still very distrustful of each other.....it's as though we expect to get taken advantage of ( perhaps knowing our own selfishness ) and strike first.Once someone is repeatedly taken advantage of they are slow to co-operate...maybe that's why our industry is calling for more and more students even though there seems to be less work ?

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/joachim_de_posada_says_don_t_eat_the_marshmallow_yet.htm l

Joachim talks about delayed gratification.....2/3 of people would take the short-term gain....the long term results be damned

Well that explains global warming , pollution and people eating bush meat etc

Maybe my next comic will be on our possible future as a species.....it's easy enough to imagine where this is all headed in 500 years

quote:
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

So much for merging the quotes and the golden goose threads

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012