AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Appropriate quote for 2010 and A.N.

Author Topic: Appropriate quote for 2010 and A.N.
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Then they call you names, then they start secret email campaigns against you, then they go to other forums and blogs and put you down...

And that's what happens from individuals we considered friends. With friends like some of the people we've known in the past, who needs enemies.

Which reminds me of a saying that may be appropriate for AN in '10...

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." Sun Tzu

Of course we don't think of anyone as an enemy, and it's unfortunate that the attitudes we've encountered over the years from persons and organizations we've supported and respect have come down to such infantile behavior. The interesting thing about where AN is at and where it's going is that although some of our peers have written us off, we've been able to connect with a community outside of the industry proper which understands and appreciates our message, purpose, and vision and sees the bigger picture that we've always embraced and aspired to.

The good that AN has done will come back to us many times over. That's what excites me about the New Year and what I'm looking forward to in 2010.

--------------------
 -

AnimationGirl
IE # 303
Member # 3628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnimationGirl   Email AnimationGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then they call you names, then they start secret email campaigns against you, then they go to other forums and blogs and put you down...

And that's what happens from individuals we considered friends. With friends like some of the people we've known in the past, who needs enemies.

I totally agree with you Charles. I'm with you on that.

And we have a lot to look forward to in 2010.

AN is such an amazing website, you're doing such an amazing job with the website Charles. In my opinion this is the most incredible website ever.

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a beneficiary of the power, the effect of AN. AN helped make me smarter about people and art, art and commerce and the intersection of all the above. I'm getting better all the time at what I'm doing, thanks to AN.

But, I feel personally that there's much mending that needs to happen, that can happen, and I'll continue to do my part to aid that process. I no longer dwell on who perpetrated these current state of affairs; I'm merely focused on doing my part to mend what connections can be mended!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what makes you a class act E. Allen, and I appreciate your efforts to mend bridges between us and members of the attitude club out there, but I'm afraid that those efforts will be in vain. For one thing, I have no desire to have anything to do with them anymore. The damage they've done is too deep and frankly, I feel that we're better off without them. Add to that the downright mental illness of some of these people and what we have is more than just a failure to communicate.

You may want to suggest to them that they get some therapy. Maybe then your attempts to convince them of the good that AN has done in spite of their badwill just might sink into their vacuous heads.

At this point it doesn't matter. We've made valuable alliances with something called human beings that will pay off for us in spades. These associations will give us the opportunity to do much more than any of us could've imagined.

Here's a good quote that is appropriate for AN in '10...

“The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.” Walter Bagehot

And yet another...

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to relive the past. this was about the future. we've won our place a long time ago, and now we're really owning it.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

AnimationGirl
IE # 303
Member # 3628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnimationGirl   Email AnimationGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.” Walter Bagehot

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill

Great quotes!
E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
About the 2nd Churchill quote. When people who knew you, knew good things about you, and people who knew the bad things as well, show up to your funeral, what will they say? How will they feel about your legacy?

You not only build a life (by what you give), you also build a legacy. If all you do are bad things, that's what you'll be remembered for, if they choose to remember you at all. But, if you were good and strove to do good, a natural conclusion would be that you would leave behind a favorable legacy.

Not that this motivates us to do good or be decent, obviously, but changes of heart from a prior negative disposition often come because the person realizes that his behavior affects more than a small group of people, and for far longer than just one day. Relationships when built up over time need to be maintained continuously, every day. Arguments and squabbles last for minutes at a time, but grudges live on a bit longer.

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

For one, Bite, the past is the present. Key people who were angry at AN are still angry, because they have not put the past aside to come back.

We'll never mend fences with those guys. But there are others who are confused instead of vengeful, and it's those guys that we still have a chance with.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Referring to Snakebite's original quote, I don't know who "they" are anymore. Executives or artists?

From my many years dealing with AN, the problem of hate and badwill against us was never really something that came from the executives. It started with some of the artists and a few others on that side of things, for whatever reasons they have, and it only became more intense on their part as time went on. Looking for any excuse to put us down.

But it doesn't matter. We've connected with a group of people who don't let negative emotions control their better judgement. They see the good that AN has done and believe in our message and in what we're trying to achieve.

Here's another quote from Winston Churchill that you might pass along to those of the hopeless cause, E. Allen. Not that it will do any good.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Anyway, let's focus on the positive. That's been at the core of AN since it's inception. Positive pro-activity.

"Good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others." Plato

--------------------
 -

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm...one I just saw today:

"politicians are the same all over: they promise to build bridges even when there are no rivers"

Khrushchev

of course now it's more like promising to make films when there's no budget hehehehe

[edit by request]

[ January 18, 2010, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Charles ]

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Classic from the Addams Family
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

BTW, I don't know most these people who I hear have a problem with AN. So its hard for me to even care. My conversations are about what we are now and what we are doing tomorrow. We're doing our best to communicate our mission and our platforms abilities, it takes time and nurturing. I love where
we are now. It gets better every month...and harder for all three of us. But now we have another behind the scenes person in the mix. We'll introduce them real soon. Making new moves all the time.

so I respectfully submit another personal favorite
that i go by to keep me focused in the midst of haters

FTG

apply accordingly

PIECE!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Alphonse Karr is best noted for the often used quote, "The more things change, the more they are the same."

But that's not what I want to use here. Instead, I'd like to share another one of his sayings...

"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses."

--------------------
 -

AnimationGirl
IE # 303
Member # 3628

quote:
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses."

I love this quote! That's a great one!
E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Not to emphasize the negativity, but I remain positive about a positive outcome.

Charles and Bite will welcome these prodigal sons home again. And, I'm no psychic, but I believe they will ultimately play a role in taking AN to even higher levels of success!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

EA, if you can get through to these people, good luck! I really appreciate what you're trying to do even thought I consider it in many ways mission impossible.

The biggest problem is their own attitudes. Historically they made huge mountains out of the slightest little bump on the road and have turned away apologies and friendly gestures at reconciliation. In your discussions with them, why don't you get the haters to be a little more introspective and see the log in their own eyes instead of focusing on the spec in someone elses.

It's amazing how much other people, sites, blogs, etc can get away with compared to AN. It's really a hypocritical double standard that many of these people have when they judge AN as harshly as they do but some of these other sites can be as reckless as they want and nobody makes a big deal out of it.

Regardless of the FTG crowd, we're still going to move forward and stay true to our core mission and purpose whether they're with us or not, whether they recognize the good we've done or not.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Walt Emerson

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Well since the majority of them did their best to slow us down I really don't encourage them to come back.

but again, my initial quote wasn't about them, it was about us.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Yes, Bite!

To keep this thread positive, I reiterate what I said earlier, that I no longer dwell on who perpetrated these current state of affairs--for me, that would be a bit like playing "point the finger"! Some of these guys can't be swayed, and we're not talking about them. We're talking, like I've said earlier in this thread, and in many other threads on here, about the confused, guys who have been misinformed or have misconceptions about AN. Those guys have genuinely positive natures and can contribute a great deal towards the growth of AN--even more, I believe, than I would be able to.

And again, I'm reminded of one of Charles's posted Churchill quotes from earlier.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

So, I will give these guys the benefit of the doubt--and work with them on the mending process!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
My point from the original quote you posted Snake, is that I don't know who "they" is anymore. Is it the executives or our so called colleagues? Is it the monkey or the sheep?

Does it matter?

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up." Thomas Edison

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

I don't see what needs to fixed with them. All my fixing goes to AN. We need to fix the way we communicate our intent. We need to fix our site so it sings for our members. I point fingers at myself and say I'm the problem that needs to be solved. So far, this approach has inspired other people. I'm not slowing down to mend stuff that I wasn't even thinking about.

Creators who get the message or independent economy and independent creating to compete with the old guard get my attention. Everyone else, god speed.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Thanks Charles, for posting the Edison quote.

That gets to the heart of what I've been trying to illustrate all this time!

I agree, Bite. I vote for not concerning yourself with this wacky objective I've been obsessing over. Some people believe in fighting for "lost" causes, believing that sometimes they're the only ones worth fighting for (to rehash a Capracorn-ism). I just can't let it go, myself. If I believe something can be done, I give it the ol' college try for sure. Eight out of Ten efforts, I succeed.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up."

If I commit myself to an issue, I just can't give it up.

This stubbornness is, ultimately, a great asset for ANers to have--not that you need me to tell you this. You guys already know.

I believe this very characteristic are among the chief reasons why AN has persisted in this brutal landscape for so long, the animation industry, part of a wider brutal landscape that is the entertainment industry. Being stubborn, Bite, in a good way--is what will bring AN up to even higher plateaus, previously unimagined!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

And speaking of even higher plateaus, E. Allen...

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary

--------------------
 -

Metsys
Member # 3503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metsys   Email Metsys         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Focus on the positive. Focus on AN and helping people create something new and great, which in my opinion is creating new studios that will become the new animation industry.

--------------------
http://glenmoyes.blogspot.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

"Keep on walking and don't look back. The past is behind you, let nothing remind you." Smokey Robinson

--------------------
 -

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, and the self is more immense and harder to overcome than any mountain could ever be.

"Transcend yourself and all conventional 'knowledge' by uniting with every illuminating dimension of the world, the process of life and with your complete condition of self within this or any other reality you may experience."

--------------------
skynet[at]animationnation.com
http://www.alivenotdead.com/slipperysky
http://www.slipperysky.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

"I walk slowly, but I never walk backward." Abraham Lincoln

"It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Any action is better than no action at all." Norman Vincent Peale

"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me." Walt Disney

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

--------------------
 -

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."

More Abraham Lincoln

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

Albert Einstein

--------------------

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
"The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife!"

Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition # 48

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

If you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
just one I stumbled across today

quote:
Alain de Botton: A kinder, gentler philosophy of Success:

"What is a snob? A snob is anybody who takes a small part of you and uses that to come to a complete vision of who you are. That is snobbery."

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Someone registered on AN and as their email signature they had this quote. Hope they don't mind my sharing it with the community through this topic.

"I dream, I test my dreams against my beliefs, I dare to take risks, and I execute my vision to make those dreams come true."

Walt Disney

--------------------
 -

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

"Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, then honest people must do the same." -Leo N. Tolstoy

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012