AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Avatar: I told you that this movie will be great!!! (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Avatar: I told you that this movie will be great!!!
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
This is my biggest fear about this 3D experience. I have never liked 3D but I keep having people telling me I have to see it in 3D...I dunno if I want to. I would hate to shell out the extra dough to watch something that bugs me.

anyone else have negative feelings about the 3D?

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

IP: Logged
Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that is one of the reasons why my desire to see it has faded. I don't really care how "in your face" the FX are. 3D doesn't do much for me either. On most occasions in the past somehow I think I didn't see the 3D right or experience it that much. Either I see past it or just don't see it the way I am suppose to. Maybe it's me or the way I look at stuff. I remember watching 3D with people and always wondering if I was seeing the same thing and what the big deal was.

So if a movie is not that great for watching on a TV, what is that saying about the movie? Or if the only or best way to watch a particular movie is in the theater does that mean I can only watch it in the theater to really experience it? Am I watching it just for the visual effect or is there something profoundly moving I can simultaneously get out of it? I've seen so many movies that were the "you have to see it in the theater" kind only to walk out after wondering why I didn't leave before it finished. I guess I wanted my full cash value of the trash or boring dribble I paid to see. Seriously, if a movie doesn't say something in the right way, no FX is going to save it for me. It doesn't have to be so profound, but it has to have a point that is said in a way that makes total sense. At this point there is a way higher percentage of people telling me that the only thing I'll get out of this movie is "mind blowing" 3D. Well, that doesn't excite me that much as you can see. I'm positive I have far more mind blowing experiences almost every night in the countless insanely visual dreams I have.

--------------------
skynet[at]animationnation.com
http://www.alivenotdead.com/slipperysky
http://www.slipperysky.com

Captain 3D
IE # 244
Member # 2315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain 3D   Author's Homepage   Email Captain 3D         Edit/Delete Post 
How about go see it instead of talking about what may or may not happen. And yes you do watch it just for the visual effect ;-) Otherwise you could just listen to it with your eyes closed.

People are enjoying Avatar because it is visually more extreme than other movies as in more stuff more 3D etc. The story is enjoyable. But it is just a few hours of entertainment. For a relatively cheap price.

No need to debate seeing it or not just do or do not.

phil

...but see it in 3D of course.

Metsys
Member # 3503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metsys   Email Metsys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
anyone else have negative feelings about the 3D?
The negative feelings I have about 3D is that in the theater the color isn't as rich because most 3D theaters use polarized technology instead of the shutters. The other complaint is that sometimes the 3D effect is too strong in those big establishing shots, making the set look tiny.

Now, the previews for some movies where objects are up to your nose really bugs me, but I haven't actually seen a 3D movie that puts objects that close to you face all the time (but I imagine it's happened).

I've seen UP in 3D and I own it on DVD, and I liked the DVD better. So even though I do want to watch Avatar (and Princess and the Frog), I don't see how seeing it in the theater is that big of a deal. I will say though that I really want a Blu-Ray player, so there you go.

--------------------
http://glenmoyes.blogspot.com

eBee
Member # 3368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eBee   Email eBee         Edit/Delete Post 
...another thing about the IMAX screenings;

I don't know about you guys down south, but here in Montreal the seating is assigned at the IMAX showings so it's real easy to get stuck with lousy view when you get your ticket.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Metsys good points.

Matter of fact last night I watched "The Incredibles" again after a long stint of not watching it.

I found it was so enjoyable I kept wondering how it was done. The DVD on my HD is so clean and crisp I thought I was watching a 3D movie.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

GaryClair
Member # 3164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaryClair   Email GaryClair         Edit/Delete Post 
RealD is better than IMAX.

IMAX 3D uses linear polarization
While RealD uses circular polarization.

This is why if you tilt your head in an IMAX 3D movie, the picture gets all screwy.
This isn't the case with RealD

RealD also outputs at 144 frames per second while IMAX 3D outputs at 96.
RealD has less ghosting & flickering b/c of this even though source material is 24 frames per sec.

If you have strong astigmatism, there will be areas that the IMAX 3D polarization doesn't line up and you may see blurring and/or grey spots in the "corners" of your field of vision.

Also, many agree that IMAX 3D is darker less saturated, while RealD has brighter and truer color.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I asked cuz here in LA you have the option to see it in 3D or regular. I'd rather just see it in regular if there's a chance it will be like past experiences. I don't spend money on movies these days and when I do I don't want to waste it if I can at least help it. ya know?

I'm gonna see it either way. Its most def a theater experience at the very least.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL! They were playing the soundtrack to Disney's "Pocahahantas" when they were talking about "Avatar" on the radio today.

I did kind of feel that Avatar needed a funny comic relief cute alien thing as a sidekick to someone.

--------------------

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in 3D and did not regret it!

This is a film that was made for big-screen 3D! Whether you see it in Real-D or at an IMAX, see it that way instead of reg-old rinky-dink 2D theater. 3D's really the only way to see Avatar.

Yes, I agree with Skynet about his dreams! I want to see Skynet's dreams in 3D! Or at an IMAX!

Judging by Exit Insanity and the rest of the Slippery Sky works, that would be a kick ass experience, I'd think.

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I realized I have some free movie passes I forgot about so maybe this is a good time to use them. Instead of complaining about a movie I haven't seen maybe I should see it so my complaints about it can be legitimate. So I heard there actually was some trouble while waiting in line because James showed up and started randomly yelling at certain people telling them they'd better enjoy the movie, but it probably wont happen again and the lines are getting shorter or non existent. It's playing in regular and Real-D at the local theater so... I'm considering it.

--------------------

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it just me, or did James Horner just remix his Willow soundtrack for Avatar?

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I kinda noticed that time-saver myself JDC!

Actually, he had to do something similar for Troy when he was brought on-board at the last minute, because the previous composer's submitted score was rejected. I believe it was Gabriel Yared's initial Troy score. In any case, he left, Horner stepped in, and had to come up with something quick at that point! Not bad, I thought at the time, for what had to have been a "rush" job!

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
I caught it today. The theater is almost empty during weekday matinees, especially when it's 15 degrees outside. There was room to pick a good seat far away from anyone.

The film is truly exceptional. There's not much I can add to what's already been said by people who love it. The story was massively derivative of countless SF books and video games, but it didn't matter. The total effect was overwhelming. The importance of a good, original script and story has always been over-rated (I loved both TRANSFORMERS movies and I wasn't even sure what was happening in them much of the time). The largely actor-driven performances were great. Seeing corporate tool marines blown up was hilarious and pleasant, although I wish Ribisi's character had been gutted on-screen. Now that spoilers are irrelevant, I feel free to read the CINEFEX issue that arrived last week, featuring AVATAR animation and effects in microscopic detail.

The 3D was okay, but I don't think it added that much to the experience. Some of the agoraphobic money shots worked well. The glasses seemed a little cloudy and they wouldn't wipe any clearer.

Despite only 20 or so people present, there were a number of cell phone yakkers, who fortunately shut up early. Three couples left at various spots and didn't return. One of the couples was audibly grumbling about something.

AVATAR is pretty much as good as it gets. I wish I could send it back in time for my fourteen-year-old self to watch, before I had seen everything and become more difficult to impress. The movie would have spontaneously set my hair on fire.

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GWAStudios   Author's Homepage   Email GWAStudios         Edit/Delete Post 
@Everyone lol wow I didn't know that I sparked a huge topic that everyone was going to get on XD

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
JDC - Most of James Horner's music sounds the same. Listen to his work on American Tail 2 and then go listen to his work on Titanic and you'll see what Im saying.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

OK...so I saw it yesterday in RealD and wow... Haha, what was that? I have to say the 3D was unimpressive to me for the usual reasons. Like I was saying, somehow my brain "disconnects" the pieces and the 3D looks fake most of the time. A few times I was bored and almost ready to walk out. The people in front of us did leave. There were only some scenes of the alien jungle that looked pretty amazingly integrated to me and that's it, and probably the reason I stayed. In fact, some particular jungle scenes are the only memorable parts to me. Everything else became forgettable as soon as I was out of the theater. All I said previously still stands and I could say a lot more but I wont. There's no point in pointing out the obvious. Personally I was right in that I could have waited for this to be on DVD. I feel like I wasn't missing anything, and I proved to myself once again that I don't really care for James Cameron's movies. I can't help it. Is he doing Battle Angel, from the Japanese anime/graphic novels? That would be depressing. Is he doing Heavy Metal too? Forbidden Planet and Fantastic Voyage? What insanity... I never saw titanic and I never will.

Anyway, I apologize to those who loved it. I'm not saying to not see it. The experience is apparently very different for everyone. It's a personal thing, the kind of thing where you have to find out for yourself whether you like it or not. I wish I didn't watch it in 3D but even then I would've still come to the same conclusions about it.

I will say one thing about Avatar. No matter how much you disguise a bottle of cheese whiz it will still be a bottle of cheese whiz.

--------------------

GaryClair
Member # 3164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaryClair   Email GaryClair         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's true what they say.. you can't please everyone. [Big Grin]

I think anyone who fears criticism should read this thread, and know.. no matter what you make.. there will be someone to shoot it down.

Even Beethoven, Shakespeare, and Avatar gets poo-poo'd.

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Skynet, the hardcore critic!

At least nobody can say Skynet's in any studio's pocket!

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
I somewhat agree with Skynet.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something of interest that came to us via a friend, a story comparison between Avatar and Pocahontas...

-

--------------------
 -

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Which, in my opinion, is not quite what happens in the end, but close enough I suppose.

Paburrows, this is likely the first and last time I will ever disagree with Skynet--on anything--but I found Skynet's brief commentary on Avatar to be just as badass as the subject, the film, that Skynet just berated!

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Exactly Gary. You can't please everyone... or as I would say it, obviously we are all not going to like the same thing all the time, and that's a good thing. But honestly, I'm not shooting down or poopooing on anything. I'm just giving my opinion and whether what I say is good or bad, it really only matters to me. And whoever fears criticism should not be creating because there will always be people that like what you do and dislike what you do. Just because there's some people that don't like one thing, it doesn't mean there wont be many others that do, but we know this so I'm not pointing out anything new.

I don't want to say too much because I don't want to ruin the mystery for anyone who hasn't seen it... but my main problem with Avatar was that it was painfully predictable. If I am seeing the scenes in my head way before they happen in the film and I end up being right every time, that kills it for me and that is one reason why the boredom set in. The main reason I go to a movie is to get lost and taken in by the story, but all the fun and suspense disappears if I always know what's coming next. It doesn't help that the same story has been told so many times, but it doesn't mean the same story cannot be told in new or other creative ways. It just needs to be done in the right way. There are probably countless ways to express the same things in life.

The music was also constantly killing the vibe for me. There were times when I was imagining Mufasa leaping out from behind a tree and biting Jake. It only added to the cheesiness I felt in the situation and it sounded way out of place.

The other thing that kind of bothered me was the military insanity. We all love to see the bad guys crushed. I admit, I was patiently waiting to see what I knew was going to happen to the bad dude, but the military is not the enemy. They are just a tool of an evil that is invisible to most of us and much worse than the puppets shooting the guns. Evil pulls the puppets strings, not the trigger. I think pushing the anti military is sort of misguided, especially during these times.

Thanks E. It's amazing how you so easily understand everyone's point of view. I also completely understand how anyone can get into it. I know people that like it and I have no problem with that. I also know people that feel the same way as I do or even stronger. One thing I noticed was that 80% of the people in the theater were kids...watching a 160 minute 3D video game. But then I saw a group of kids leave, but that's probably because it wasn't their first time. Don't get me wrong, I dig many "kids" movies and in many ways I'm a kid myself.

Thanks Paburrows for letting me know you can agree with some of what I am saying. I'm not saying the whole film was horrible. I had a few moments where the FX were pretty entertaining and even jaw dropping, but when it was all said and done, those moments were too few and far between. The best FX will get old after a while if that's all you got.

--------------------

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

That's a good one Charles. I had to laugh because most of it is right on. I didn't want to use it in my observation but I kept hearing people complaining it's too close to Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves.... and with a little tweaking those blue natives are not so alien, are they?

--------------------

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

my weekends have been filled with deadline poopoo the last couple of weeks. its the only real time my lady likes to go to the movies since she has the 9-5...still haven't seen it. maybe when the hype dies down is a good time to go. next weekend maybe.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

It really is well worth seeing. Remarkable on many levels. Someone mentioned to me the other day they thought it was the greatest movie ever made, and although I disagree with that opinion, it certainly is a film that sets a whole new standard. It's the 'Star Wars' of this generation, and it'll be interesting to see how it affects the course of cinema from now into the future, not to mention the art and design of film.

There were a few plot points that didn't sit well with me, but overall, a truly incredible film. Technically, a masterpiece of all masterpieces, and the acting of the CG characters was better than that of the live action actors.

Avatar deserves all the success and attention it's getting.

--------------------
 -

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

That Pocahontas/Avatar gag is funny as heck.

The film is cool but it's no masterpiece of masterpieces. It's a smart, marketing product slicker than snake snot on a city slicker's shoes.

It's bringing in the new wave of 3D and I guarantee you, when George Lucas releases the Star Wars movies in 3D they will wipe Avatar off the map.

Heck, even the Harry Potter movies in 3D will wipe Avatar off the map. Those movies didn't need 3D to be mega hits and now you add 3D to them?

Bring on "The Exorcist" in 3D or "Close Encounters".

"The Ten Commandments", "Psycho" and more.

Anyway, Avatar will be around $500 million by end of next weekend. It will eclipse "Titanic" but it will take several more months to do it.

--------------------

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

My comment about being a masterpiece of masterpieces was in its technical aspects Greg. And along the lines of the films you mentioned, I'd like to add Wizard of Oz from 1939.

As far as 3D goes, it doesn't do anything for me but get in the way. I found myself several times during the movie taking off my 3D glasses to watch Avatar. It's more of a distraction than a novelty. Personally, I don't care for 3D and I'd be more in favor of saving on the expense of the glasses to make movie going a little more affordable by just showing a movie without the consistent gimmick. Avatar and all these other 3D movies would've been just as successful without the glasses.

--------------------
 -

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Not even the Star Wars films in 3D will be enough to get fans to pony up for what would be (in more than a few cases) the fifth time. Likely even more when you add in all the times the films have been re-issued to home video!

For one, you won't see me in line, again. It would likely be an awesome experience, but for me, it already was an experience I've had several times.

There's only so many times you can put a shirt through a wash cycle 'fore the threads come loose!

pud
IE # 30
Member # 245

Icon 3 posted      Profile for pud   Author's Homepage   Email pud         Edit/Delete Post 
I, on the other hand, am very much a sucker for the whole 3D glasses thing. Makes it seem a bit more special going to the movie. A bit more fun. I'll pay the extra few bucks :-)

BUT, on the whole ... my theatre movie viewing has gone way down, being quite more selective these days on when I will pay to see a movie.
{ With kids... it isn't cheap }

I loved Avatar. Glad they have my $$ as it was well worth it. imho.

--------------------
" Your Scenes are there forever." - Ollie Johnston
http://markpudleiner.blogspot.com/

Easy Zee
Member # 3201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Easy Zee   Author's Homepage   Email Easy Zee         Edit/Delete Post 
District 9 was a far superior film.
Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Yeah, District 9 is the one film I regret missing in the theater last year. If I still had the choice I would've seen that instead.

--------------------

GaryClair
Member # 3164

quote:
By Me, December 21,2009
I'm positive it'll (Avatar) be the #1 money making movie of all time.

[Big Grin] <--- Gary's famous sh*t eating grin.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

They also say out of the top 25 grossing films of all time, 18 were released in the last 10 years but once you adjust the numbers to take inflation into account, Avatar would be the only one to make the list, and even then it would be at No. 24.

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012