AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » 20 Animated Features Compete for Best Animated Feature Oscar for 2009

Author Topic: 20 Animated Features Compete for Best Animated Feature Oscar for 2009
Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And here's the list:

“Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel”
“Astro Boy”
“Battle for Terra”
“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”
“Coraline”
“Disney's A Christmas Carol”
“The Dolphin – Story of a Dreamer”
“Fantastic Mr. Fox”
“Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs”
“Mary and Max”
“The Missing Lynx”
“Monsters vs. Aliens”
“9”
“Planet 51”
“Ponyo”
“The Princess and the Frog”
“The Secret of Kells”
“Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure”
“A Town Called Panic”
“Up”

This means that 5 films can be nominated for the final award. The last, and only other time this happened was in 2003, for 2002. The nominees that year were Treasure Planet, Lilo and Stitch, Spirit, Spirited Away and Ice Age, with the winner being Spirited Away.
We'll see what happens for this year, but it looks like a nice mix of 3D, Hand Drawn, and stop-motion. This shows that animation is certainly still a vibrant, diverse medium.

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

IP: Logged
E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure?

For some reason, I won't expect to see what was supposed to be a DTV make the final five! Though I expect to see Up, Ponyo and Princess and the Frog there without much effort. I'm really pulling for some noms for Kells and Missing Lynx, the ultimate underdogs in this race.

Extremely excited for the likelihood that there will be five nominations for the Animated Feature category, but ten nods for Best Picture, sad for The Dark Knight, an omission which cannot be corrected but excited that animated films now have their biggest shot ever since Beauty & the Beast at getting a Best Picture nod, which could likely go to Up, Princess and the Frog or (miracle of miracles) both!

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GWAStudios   Author's Homepage   Email GWAStudios         Edit/Delete Post 
POOOOOOONYOOOOOOOO!!!! (PONYO)

lol, I loved that movie it was soo good ^_^

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

Plai
IE # 298
Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plai   Author's Homepage   Email Plai         Edit/Delete Post 
20 animated movies produced, wow, I thought we were going through a recession. But congrats to everyone nominated!

--------------------
Plai.tv

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
20 animated features were SUBMITTED. There may have been (a) feature(s) that was/were produced, but not submitted. An example would be for 2001, when Disney did not submit "Atlantis" for consideration, the reason being that they wanted "Monsters Inc." to be their big contender.(It ended up losing to "Shrek"). But still, it's a good sign. Whether or not a feature is exactly Oscar worthy doesn't matter, as far as the category is concerned. As long as it counts as an animated feature (i.e., is feature length and has the requisite number of animated characters/elements) and plays in a theatre in the U.S. for at least 7 days, it counts, if nothing else to pad the submission numbers, and allow for the 5 nominees.
I think the last time that we came this close to having the minimum 16 submissions required for the 5 nominees was 2007. They didn't quite make the 16 that year when "Enchanted" was deemed not to count as an "animated feature", even though the James Baxter studio did do a great job on the traditionally animated sequences.

--------------------

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose, then, that's good to qualify the five nods, although I still chuckle at the concept of Lost Treasure being allowed anywhere near an Oscar ballot!
PHIL
IE # 137
Member # 1808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PHIL   Email PHIL         Edit/Delete Post 
Disney have 4 contenders in this category. Whilst it has definitely helped secure 5 nominees for the final Oscar vote has it jepordised their chances overall?

Did they have to submit Tinkerbell and by doing so has it lowered the standard of the entries? Why put their first traditonal feature in years up against one of Pixar's best?

Is it really fair that a live action/animation feature can be submitted in this category when so many films these days rely on post production CGI/SFX? (I know that submissions are selected on the animaition-liveaction ratio) Generally, I wouldn't have thought Chipmunks was worthy of a nomination and it would never have been selected for Best Picture. Why should the standards of this category be any less?

What are everyone's predictions for the 5 contenders? Will Disney get 2 nods?

Princess and the Frog
Fantastic Mr Fox
Up
...Monsters vs Aliens(??)

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

That's a great point, Phil. I overlooked expressing my distaste for Alvin & the Chipmunks 2 being considered eligible for nomination in the Best Animated Feature category. Oh boy.

Okay, so Alvin 2 and Tinker Bell shouldn't have bothered coming to this party!

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Again, the studio can SUBMIT anything they want. Universal could, if they desired, take out a full page ad in the "Daily Variety" saying "For Your Consideration for Best Picture of the year, 'Land of the Lost", and believe me, stranger things have happened. Some of the titles on the list are certainly not Oscar material, but by their being submitted, each one did it's own little part to open up the category, and maybe made it possible for 2 additional, and more Oscar worthy features to end up on the final ballot.

--------------------

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

OMG, I can't wait for a Land of the Lost Oscar campaign! In Variety! Whee-hoo! I will rip that a new one for suuuuuuure, dude!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012