AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » I'm writting an article about 2d animation softwares, can you help me?

Author Topic: I'm writting an article about 2d animation softwares, can you help me?
Spiritto
Member # 3630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spiritto   Email Spiritto         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Animation Nation!:
My name is Jordana G. also known as Spiritto.
I'm trying to write a well based article for the DA news about animation Softwares. I have the job almost done, but I need some extra information to complete it.

This extra information seems to be some kind of a secret for the moment, but I'm sure that, just by asking here, there must be someone who knows.

THe information I need is which softwares are used in the big 2d animation studios (Disney, Dreamworks, Universal animation...) I'm only asking about 2d, CLASSICAL ANIMATION.

I want to clarify some myths, and confirm or bust them, like the one that says that Big studios have a special software that does 2d clean up (colored lines, like in the Film Atlantis) and even one that does the shading.

I have also heard that you can do Disney style shading (Ariel's beginnig) with ADOBE after effects quite easily.

Any information will be very welcome. Remember that this article I'm writing will be for the profit of the community.

Sincerely

Spiritto

--------------------
www.spiritto.com

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to AN Spiritto. Good to have you here. Really enjoyed the artwork on your website.

Hopefully a couple of you guys at the studios will de-lurk long enough to help out here.

--------------------
 -

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The information I need is which softwares are used in the big 2d animation studios (Disney, Dreamworks, Universal animation...) I'm only asking about 2d, CLASSICAL ANIMATION.

I want to clarify some myths, and confirm or bust them, like the one that says that Big studios have a special software that does 2d clean up (colored lines, like in the Film Atlantis) and even one that does the shading."

Hi, Jordana,

If I recall correctly, when Dreamworks was still doing hand-drawn animation they used ANIMO by Cambridge Animation (which has since been purchased and absorbed by ToonBoom ).

I think that the recent Kung Fu Panda 2D sequences were done with a combination of ANIMO and AfterEffects .

From 1989 up until 2003 Disney used a proprietary software called CAPS to digitally ink & paint their hand-drawn movies.

quote:
[myths] "like the one that says that Big studios have a special software that does 2d clean up"
There is no software that does classical animation Clean-Up.

As recently as "The Princess & the Frog" Disney still does traditional clean-up with pencil on paper, then the pencil line artwork is scanned and loaded into a software called ToonBoom Harmony for coloring.

quote:
"colored lines, like in the Film Atlantis"
The lines (as in the film "Atlantis" and other Disney features in the 90's and early 2000's) are drawn by a traditional clean-up artist, then when the drawing is scanned into the computer a digital ink & paint artist will color the lines to match the colors chosen by the art director and color stylist for the film. This was done at Disney in CAPS until 2003 and is currently done using ToonBoom Harmony .

Other digital 2D animation softwares include TVP Animation (aka TVPaint) , Digicel Flipbook, Flash, RETAS PRO, and some others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Metsys
Member # 3503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metsys   Email Metsys         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding Kung Fu Panda, yes those scenes were done using Animo. Here's the link for more info http://www.artofthetitle.com/2008/10/03/kung-fu-panda/ Also includes HD Quicktime files of both 2D sequences. [Smile]

--------------------
http://glenmoyes.blogspot.com

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarification... There isn't an automated clean-up system but there are several products out there that are designed to be paperless animation systems for all stages of production. Both Toon Boom Harmony and Toon Boom Animate can be used as paperless systems and Digicel will do paperless as well (though the brushes and pencils aren't as refined).

From what I understood, most of the Disney animators were not thrilled with the feel of animating with a Cintiq or other tablet. They did play with it on the last Goofy short, though it would appear they abandoned the effort.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, self colored lines are very easy to do in the computer and are in fact easier than they ever were back when they to be hand inked.

Some DIP software programs will do a faux shadow where the Alpha channel is used as an offset matte to create a shadow look. However, that only works well in very basic situations. The upside is that tone mattes are extremely easy to draw into most DIP programs so you can get rid of the scanning for atleast a portion even if you are working on paper.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012