AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » James Cameron's "Avatar", why are we going to see it?

Author Topic: James Cameron's "Avatar", why are we going to see it?
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
I was all bent ready to see this $500 million movie just because it costs $500 million but after watching the trailers I couldn't figure out why I would go to see it.

I see Sigourney Weaver is in it so that's the only plus side to seeing it so far.

Any other reasons to see it?

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

IP: Logged
Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah after seeing the trailer I got turned off by it. Im more interested in seeing the real Avatar next summer.

Teaser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1dhqc-JBs

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the New York Times article that speculates on the $500 million budget. Fox and Cameron are saying the film is costing somewhere around $230 million. However, it is unclear because there are so many other investors who have come into the fold on this one including Cameron himself. The $500 million also includes the cost of marketing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/business/media/09avatar.html?_r=1

Cameron use to be considered a very hard to work with individual. They use to say that his films were almost always over budget and blew the production schedule by a considerable amount. Avatar sounds like the kind of film that could turn Cameron into a legend. The question is, will it be his Ishtar or another Terminator.

I'm really not all that excited about this one.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Doug H
Member # 3618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug H   Email Doug H         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening of that Avatar-The Last Airbender trailer reminded me of "Star Wars Kid" with candles.

I would love to see an animated feature length Airbender <sigh>.

--------------------
Life is a plum pie ... so get your thumb in there!

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
The geek in me loves to see spaceships, robots, aliens and exlposions.. The film critic in me saw the trailer and thought, hey "dances with wolves in space".. [puke]

I'll give it a chance, but not on opening weekend.

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you can't really be an innovator in any art field without a bunch of people telling you why you can't do something. I think every filmmaker that gives the world great films like Terminator and Aliens will also probably have their own disasters.

Cameron had exactly the same criticism leveled at him during the making of Titanic.... you can open up hundreds of old articles written during the production of that (the most expensive movie ever made at that time) and switch the word "Titanic" with "Avatar" and the article is the pretty much the same with the same budgetary concerns, accusations of megalomania and etc.....

I think many of those criticisms were reasonable and he does seem to be a difficult filmmaker to work with, but hey, its tough to argue with results. Check out the box office totals. The studios that took a chance and invested in Titanic did pretty well, I'd say. Plus, millions of people really enjoyed the film.

I guess my point is the people on the front edge of innovation are always gonna get hit with the most criticism.

Working in the film and TV business, I'm automatically a critic with my own ideas on filmmaking, so I'll be ready to hurl the first tomato if the film is a mess, but I'm also an artist.... and I admire when somebody has the balls to take a big chance like that. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think these films are big because they have to be: I think they are big because Cameron has to prove he can one up the guy down the block.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean in Hollywood, decisions are sometimes made based on ego? Nawwwwww......

I'm saying, oh well. Actors can have Titanic egos and nobody seems to mind as long as they make good movies, so why can't some of the Directors too?

If they make compelling movies, I can put up with it. Cameron has a track record of some really great movies, a couple of which are some of my favorites. When I buy a couple movie tickets for this film someday, which I probably will, I'll know my hard earned cash goes to a director who earned it by working his butt off to show us something we may never have seen before. This film will have employed a couple thousand FX artists, designers, and craftsmen, and I'll go and do my part to help support their livelihood. I'll buy a big bucket of popcorn and my wife and I will have a fun Saturday night at the movies. I'd say that's money well spent.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
This movie looks fun. It seems like Cameron makes a nod to all the cool aspects of sci fi and gaming in this film. He always gives you cool sci fi action that no one else is giving you. A friend of the family is one of the main stunt guys on the film and he and his family were taken care of for a long time. so Cameron gets my support just for that, but it helps that he is one of the best...and Cameron can draw too!!! he's the real deal!.

I for one will go out to see this movie...and I hate going to theaters these days. but this is a theater experience ready to happen!

We should get a AN group together to check it out!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron is good. My fav film of his will always be Aliens.

I'm not going to see the special effects. I'm just confused to what the story is about. There's so much commercial footage in the trailer, big robots, dinosaurs, aliens, that I don't see a story there.

I gather so far it's about a soldier that uses an alien body to spy on some aliens and then sympathizes with the aliens and turns on his own troops. Like Dances with Wolves in space.

I'm just so worn out from CG I'd pay to see any classic Ray Harryhausen movie.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, on the other hand, I'm rather excited about Avatar myself. It will obviously bring about a profound change in the way VFX is produced, integrated, showcased, all that stuff.

I have every reason to see Avatar as this century's Great Train Robbery!

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Icon 6 posted      Profile for GWAStudios   Author's Homepage   Email GWAStudios         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, even animators can be confused when it comes to stuff like this (marketing) lol. I actually enjoyed both trailers and I cannot wait to see this movie. What a lot of ppl miss out when it comes to marketing is that you never show your full hand. For example say I make a cartoon of someone getting punched in the face, I get it all hyped up and over excited and I release the trailer and it looks awesome; but when I go to see it, it’s just 30 mins of someone getting punched in the face, I would be pissed and I would want my money back right?
What I loved the most about what he did was that he basically explained his story and his background about him creating the movie (and game). He talked about how long it took and amount of time it took before it began without actually telling parts in the movie. Leaving people in agony about it. Then he released a trailer that seemed a bit under the line (but with a great quality in design). No one knew about the movie until about a good 3-4 month ago. Even though a good amount says the movie will stink they will still want to see it because of the two most important things ^_^:
1. He is an Oscar award winner.
2. The movie was so hyped up you would be dumb not to go see it.
So either way weather it will be good or not he is still making a major amount of money from this movie when it gets released. And we cannot judge something from a 1 or 2 minute trailer. Who know maybe much dedication went in, maybe not… I really want to see it.
This is where the quote innocent until proven guilty comes into play.

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012