AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » ASIFA's Steve Worth doesn't support AN but loves to use it for our audience. Check it (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: ASIFA's Steve Worth doesn't support AN but loves to use it for our audience. Check it
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to take this out of this other thread that is about something positive we're doing to address something that needs to be addressed by someone other than Charles.

I don't mean to quote other than to continue the conversation. I'm not doing a line by line response.

Bigshot said in other thread:

"Charles and you represent Animation Nation to the animation community. Your behavior dictates how Animation Nation is perceived by others and the considerations that they give you. I support the idea of Animation Nation as a positive and constructive force for animation. I'm being honest with you because you always have an opportunity to build and rebuild bridges if you choose to. "

So are you saying that by our behavior you can consider us as a platform to promote you and ASIFA but you can't consider to promote us?

Are you saying that you requested to do a seminar at AN's meeting because of the consideration you gave our attitudes?

Are you saying that if we just change our attitudes then maybe you'll give us the support we deserve when in reality all we've done is support you?

Any bridges that were destroyed blew up on the other end. We leave our bridge and doors open.
We promote and support a lot of people including those who don't agree with us. You cannot say the same.

I really don't think you can represent what the idea of AN is all about. With all DUE respect.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

IP: Logged
Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Im kind of getting tired of all this back and forth. I kind of see faults on both sides.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Metsys
Member # 3503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metsys   Email Metsys         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.

We can do better in the public relations area. If we have some open mic time during AN Night again that's something I'd like to discuss.

--------------------
http://glenmoyes.blogspot.com

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And here we are back to the main thing that is so great about AN (which I've seen Snakebite and Charles mention many times). The "mic" is open to everyone. Everyone can speak their mind. The only time things get out of hand is when something "controversial" is expressed and then immediately people get personal and start attacking individuals even while claiming that they are the ones being attacked. As far as I see it, it is only ideas that are under consideration, not individuals. (What is an individual anyway? That's a rhetorical question because I know ultimately it is impossible to answer. We are all changing into different individuals within each smallest amount of "time" that passes). But that's what people seem to keep losing track of. If people would keep in mind that it is the ideas we are discussing and not individuals, maybe there would be no personal attacks. People need only to express their ideas, beliefs and move on. It is specifically our thoughts about the topics that are necessary for progression. Ideas or beliefs encompass people, not a person, so targeting an individual is pointless in the first place. It must be known that you can discuss beliefs but you can't change what an individual believes. Among other things, AN is a public place to discuss ideas or ideals, not the beliefs of one person.

I've seen that "AN" has nothing to hide which everyone has probably come to understand for obvious reasons, and I don't see any particular individuals as being AN. If that were true, it would most likely be completely different around here, including the fact that it wouldn't be an open forum. Any member can start a topic, within reason, about anything they choose. AN is the community, or as much of the community that wants to be a part of AN.

--------------------
skynet[at]animationnation.com
http://www.alivenotdead.com/slipperysky
http://www.slipperysky.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're tired of this particular conversation then might I suggest not being apart of it.

I for one am still waiting for questions to be addressed so don't get in the way of that, please.

So again, if you're tired of the back and forth then don't read this thread. thats why I made it its own thread so it wouldn't upstage our positive event.

But like Adrain said, AN has nothing to hide. Our imperfections, our passion, our attitudes, our faces, our mission.... nothing.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigshot   Email bigshot         Edit/Delete Post 
ASIFA-Hollywood is a 501(c)(3) non-profit arts organization. We don't promote ourselves like a business would. We serve the community. The Board of Directors determines the best way to accomplish that. We promote resources that we feel are beneficial and fit our charter as an arts foudation. We don't barter promotional favors. And we'd hope that those who do refer people to ASIFA do it because they feel we are a worthwhile resource, not because of some feeling of obligation. Any contribution is a charitable donation.

The reason that I am personally continuing to participate in Animation Nation is because I think ASIFA has a lot to offer the students who are here. I was asked if I had an idea for some way to represent the archive on Animation Nation night. I offered my seminars and came to work out the technical details at the last meeting. I was hoping to encourage a direction that I think would be good for the community. The kids need resources for widening their creative horizons and improving their artistic skills.

That's the way I work. If I see a need that I can help with, I jump in and try to fill it. I'm giving back, and I'm not worrying about what I get in return. If anyone wants to take advantage of the resources I am providing, they are available to the community for free. Set up a screening at your school or some other venue and I'll be happy to come.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Charles has always thought ASIFA was a good thing to support. One of our first permanent links to our home page. We never asked for anything from you, you sounded like you were offering to promote AN in your email blasts but since it wasn't about you specifically then you decided to decline the offer to promote...so much for doing stuff and not wanting anything in return.

Like I said a few times, and I meant it, you continue to do nothing for AN and we'll continue to promote ASIFA. You cannot say the same.

But you said it, ASIFA only promotes things that fit their charter. Thats just a passive aggressive way of saying ASIFA don't support AN since the evidence supports this. Its pretty clear what you are trying to say in a real passive aggressive style. Again, I don't want anything from you. Just say what you mean.

Also, You weren't asked, you were offered and you turned it down because it didn't fit your needs and you couldn't adapt your presentation to fit in with our venue.

AN does not do screenings for others (who had nothing to do with the production) to critique. We have guests who come from creative backgrounds of actual production to share insight, experience and knowledge as to what it takes to actually work in the business of animation. We don't see the educational relevance for reviews or critiques of other peoples works by non creatives in a creative medium and we don't see the educational application of peoples opinions about other peoples creations to dedicate a third of our night to. Our educational aspects come from people who do hands on work. Thats our charter for AN night.

The resources we offer students and peers are from people who actually work in the business in a creative capacity. We are directing students to find the power in themselves and the power of their art to make their futures.

ASIFA as a service is a good one and to repeat myself we will always promote them even if they don't support us. But they do not represent AN's core goals... or support it.

But your presentation can be seen at other establishments and you could of used our meetings to promote those screenings. Instead it all wasn't good enough. So you're cutting yourself short and the students you say you want to reach by turning our offer down...all because it wasn't enough for you.

We never asked for anything in return but what you offered. But your offers are based on whether or not you get your specific requirements met...so much for not worrying about what you get in return.

I only address this because its been going on far too long and Charles has been way to nice by giving people who do not support AN a voice on AN's site just for the pie to be thrown in our faces.

I dare anyone to find a animation site with a mission that lets people who do not support that mission dictate how that site acts, speaks or shares their mission to others. I dare ya.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

We have guests who come from creative backgrounds of actual production to share insight, experience and knowledge as to what it takes to actually work in the business of animation.

I am patiently trying to explain things to you honestly. I'm not insulted or angry because I know who I am and what I've accomplished. I have over twenty years of experience in animation, including work in a creative capacity. I'm willing to work with others to help students and artists who aspire to something better. It's absurd to suggest that I'm not qualified to speak on creative subjects. The irony inherent in the situation isn't lost on me. (I'd point it out, but last time I linked to IMDB the post was deleted.)

There is a clear pattern of behavior here. Many people with a great deal of experience in the animation business have been attacked and driven away from Animation Nation over the past few years. Now, it seems to be my turn to be gaslighted. But I'm secure enough to take the abuse. It's pretty ludicrous actually.

Those readers and lurkers who don't feel comfortable responding publicly can feel free to contact me privately at sworth@animationarchive.org. If you would like information or resources to build your skill set and grow as an artist, feel free to contact me. I am at the Archive in Burbank five days a week until 9pm and would be happy to meet with you or correspond via email. I'm happy to help anyone with a sincere desire to learn.

Stephen Worth
ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive
2114 W Burbank Bl
Burbank CA 91506
818 842 8330
sworth@animationarchive.org

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Many creative people have been nurtured and appreciate this site. But like I said in past threads when you have a mission like AN to empower artists to realize they can control production and profit sharing, you're not gonna please everyone...especially those who feel the fit the description of what we call the problem. They will try to project and transfer all their insecurities and passive aggressive attitudes onto us, because its easy to blame the trouble makers. What a brilliant cop out. But an old and obvious one.

Steve,
You keep coming here and telling us we're wrong. You keep coming here to tell us we scare away certain creatives in the industry. You keep coming here to tell us why we don't deserve support from people like you and ASIFA. You keep coming here to tell us we're abusing you and others. You keep coming here to tell everyone to contact you privately to bitch about us. You keep coming here to tell us we don't educate people like you do. You keep coming here to announce your functions and your screenings...but most importantly, you keep coming here.

But you don't promote yourself, ey Steve?

FYI everyone, the NFL is a non profit too.

Soooooo
Yes, everyone that wants to keep stuff private and behind peoples backs please contact Steve. AN is a public forum and we say what we mean in a public manner. We take just as many pop shots as the next but we do it all in the eyes of the public. We don't play secret society hate email games and we let people know our issues and leave it open to public scrutiny. We don't black list and our doors are always open... But if you're scared, contact Steve, privately. He'll facilitate that fear, and if he can't apparently he knows a lot of people who can.

Because like Steve pointed out, we do have a pattern of behavior. We built a site to suit our needs instead of the needs of the usual suspects. We support creative people, even those who don't support us and we speak our minds with no need to apologize. We want to learn from people who actual produce content and keep up with current events and industry dynamics. We don't let others come to our site to change how we speak or how we act or how we think, unless its done in a positive and progressive manner. We don't let others who don't support us dictate the dynamic of our site. AN has given a platform to many voices, even contradictory voices but we will not be made to feel like we have to do it differently, or that we have to change our tones or we have to do it their way.

If people feel the need to talk behind our backs then my back side is what they can kiss. AND quite frankly those are not the people we are asking to be apart of AN. We are addressing the evolution of the art form and the business behind it.

The irony here is that AN is saying that certain aspects of the industry needs reform, and then some of those aspects comes to our site to say we are the ones that need to change...thing is, AN's core message is we have been doing it their way for far too long.

Steve says he doesn't come here representing ASIFA but he constantly uses it to hide behind to feel validate in his judgment against us while, again, we do everything in our power to support and promote them while they sit back and judge us, telling us we need to do more...sounds like they are very much concerned with what they get
in return.

I'm telling you this honestly. Patiently and as simplistic as possible, with no anger, so there is no confusion. You and ASIFA have done absolutely nothing for our movement..and thats OK, we need nothing from you. Because of that You need us more than we need you. If for some reason you stopped coming here all we would lose out on is someone who tells us we're wrong. wow, what a lose that would be....but if you did leave, for whatever reason, we would still promote ASIFA....again, you cannot say the same.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

I've been talking about ASIFA's linking policies- my ideas for what Animation Nation should be doing- outlining ASIFA's plans for helping young artists- and offering info about how artists who are interested in taking advantage of ASIFA's resources can contact us since we won't be doing the program on Animation Acting that was scheduled for October. And along comes another post full of personal attacks against me and idle speculations about my motives. My patience is boundless it seems.

Skynet? Would you please deal with this? I'm resisting replying to specific atttacks to allow you time to do your job.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Whats Skynets job, Steve? Are you handing out duties now?

Also, again, Im sorry you're confused but you were never scheduled at AN night. You requested and we couldn't facilitate your needs as you pointed out. I'm addressing your misconceptions of AN and by doing so you revealed your true feelings about why you or ASIFA don't support AN and I'm drawing lines in the sand. No one here is attacking you, just making things very clear. You have smeared our names too many times and we know how you feel about us from posts you've made on other sites....but we'll still promote ASIFA, don't worry board members, we know Steve doesn't represent you (because he said so) even though he is on your board.

Stop being so passive aggressive and at least stand by your true feelings, Steve. We're tired of facilitating people who can't be impeccable with their word.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

I already said that I am here for the students who are interested in improving their skill set and growing as an artist. I have resources for them that I am happy to share with them if they contact me. I'm not going to enter into a fight with you. I am trying to speak past you to them. I wish that the board rules about personal attacks would be enforced so I can do that without being harassed.
Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm.... my job? Sorry, I'll have to apologize for my confusion. I'm actually not a moderator on AN. I don't control the posting or content here, unless it is an extreme or obscene matter. I'm an admin but I'm available specifically for technical support. If you have a question about AN, the website or the forum please let me know. Otherwise, Good luck in your discussions.

--------------------
skynet[at]animationnation.com
http://www.alivenotdead.com/slipperysky
http://www.slipperysky.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

No fight here. I'm just confused and needed to address stuff. You say you're not here representing ASIFA, you're here representing you. You say you're not here to promote yourself but thats all you do. You say AN doesn't deserve your support because of how we communicate our views but you're here to contribute to our message?? And then you try to get other members to censor me instead of dealing with me directly...and you say WE"RE passive aggressive?

yeah, lots of confusion surrounding you and the things you say.

Students here have access to ASIFA through our links. We promote and make announcements on your behalf or for your functions and yet you continually say our attitudes keep you from returning the favor. I'm cool with no favors, don't need em(they always come with too big of a price), I'm just not cool with why you say we don't deserve it...just another passive aggressive attack on your part, Steve. Don't play so innocent. I've watched how you handle yourself on AN and on other sites when talking about AN so its painfully clear to me that you're just using our platform to promote you and to smear our names.
Shame shame, I know your name.

I don't know of any other animation based site that would allow people who don't support the core message of said site to have as much liberties as you've grown to have. I'm just trying to figure out your side of it by using your words to modulate my questions.

but I'm not surprised on how evasive and passive aggressive you're being. Its business as usual with you Steve. Take from us, but don't give back.
thats not participation in my eyes. So again, what do you contribute other than using our audience to promote you and what you do? You come to our meetings, but you just sit in the back and say nothing...and when you do say something its just more self promotion then later judge us for what we talked about. You don't contribute to the conversation...and I know, I've been at almost every meeting since 1999.

If students want your services they will find you like they found us...and we'll help them cuz we promote you...but again, you cannot say the same.
In fact you do the opposite.

but I aint fighting. if you think this is fighting then you truly are one of the most passive aggressive men I've met in my life.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

I'm afraid I'm not going to respond to your attacks. I'm just going to keep pointing out that my purpose here is to provide resources for animation artists who want to expand their skill sets and grow. They can do that by...

Stopping by the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive and availing themselves of the treasure trove of material available there to them for free.

Attending the free Archive screenings at Woodbury University. The next one is this Friday, September 25th at 7pm. Details Here.

Joining ASIFA-Hollywood to attend all of the screenings and events. Join Here

And volunteering at the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive to help us build the best free educational resource available to aspiring animators.

If anyone out there has any questions, I can be reached at sworth@animationarchive.org or by phone at the Archive at 818 842 4691

I'm happy to play tag and add more resources to this thread every time you attack me. When presented with lemons, I'll make lemonade.

toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
This has definitely turned personal on both sides. I don't appreciate many of Steve's points of view towards most of today's animators and products, but have been able to discuss it with him with no problems.

I also didn't appreciate the inferences made a while back that only those who draw should be running ASIFA - a "FAN" based organization. But hey we have our opinions right?

Help me figure out how starting a thread specifically about someone isn't personal. You have legitimite questions, fine - email the guy. I think that both sides have fallen into the trap of being somewhat passive aggresive , mainly because this "feud" has been brewing for a while. And both sides are partly responsible for turning people away from both the respective organizations.

ASIFA offers alot to the animation community and Steve has done more than most folks to help perserve our history and make it available to those who seek to learn.

ANIMATION NATION has done a lot for letting artists have a platform to express themsleves and show their talents. Charles and Snakebite have done more than their share to make this happen.

It's crazy that two such positive entities, who don't really need the other to prosper can't figure this **** out or at least leave each other alone and let's focus on stuff that gets us to move forward.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Respect Bob. But I have this figured out. I'm giving Steve a chance to figure it out.

And I didn't make this public, Steve did. He emailed me once then decided to put his follow up on the board. I'm cool with that. I'm happy to oblige.

Also, no one from AN ever said anything about ASIFA needing to be run by artists. The question was why do we take orders from people who don't draw? No one ever said people who draw should take over these organizations. The conversation turned personal because someone was confused. A pattern that seems to follow these usual suspects.
Its old stuff and ever since certain people left this site has really turned in a positive direction. I want it to continue to move in that direction. My approach is my own. But I feel strong in my stance.

The people who run AN are fully aware that the message is not for all. AN understands people might get confused or upset about what we do. But if you don't support us then just stay away.I think that would be the obvious way to look at it. Why would you support something you don't support unless you were getting something out of it? The doors are open, but that doesn't mean you'll like what you find inside...and thats cool, really. God speed. I just am really confused why we should stand here and deal with this sort of thing.It goes in the opposite direction that we are going. AND, its gone on waaaaaaaaaay too long...did I say "way"? I meant waaaaaaaaaaaayy...way, too long.

But every time Steve posts he either hatin' on us or promoted himself...hence his last passive aggressive post. Hiding behind his ASIFA position
to legitimize his passive hostility.

Again. He has done nothing for AN other than use and abuse AN. Our membership is really high quality these days. The participation is really turning around, people that are here that don't support us only plague our nation. thats why we screen. We want the new thinkers, not the old ones or the haters to our movement. We can have different ideas and still support each other.

I mean really, if ASIFA can't even provide a link to AN after all what Charles has done for them then who needs them. This is me talking, not AN, but really. How utterly petty and simple minded...and to follow up and say its our attitude that keeps us from having that simple minded thing of a link is the thing that makes it an issue with me....especially after everything I've seen Charles offer and give to them. So silly. Way to go ASIFA board! way to set the example. you should be proud of your representative....even though he's here on his own accord.

The only reason AN promotes ASIFA is because Charles feels its important. But the person who doesn't rep them apparently, even though he's on the board, really makes me not care either way...

Even what he's doing right now. Its more of the same. Nothing.

If my voice represents AN, what does Steve's voice represent? Certain people might want to consider that.

Yeah, its personal for some reason but I didn't make it personal. And everyone is right, it needs to end. You don't like AN's message,Steve, its all good. We'll still support you...you can't say the same...but you will promote yourself...again...well, we do have a cool ass platform with great traffic. I can see why you want to.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
Respect back Snake -

quote:
Also, no one from AN ever said anything about ASIFA needing to be run by artists. The question was why do we take orders from people who don't draw? No one ever said people who draw should take over these organizations. The conversation turned personal because someone was confused. A pattern that seems to follow these usual suspects.

This is the heart of the problem. that question in of itself is confusing, especially the history of AN. How is ASIFA an organization that orders artists around? It's a club of animation enthusiasts open to anybody and whose archive is open to anybody even non members.

Don't you see how lumping them in to the fray of being a group of non artists trying to exert control over artists might seem as a passive agressive attack? Animation Nation officially backed Roy Disney in his fight against Eisner, both non artists in a struggle to control artists..and?

Seems like the pointing to reform might want to redirect itself to the original intent for which the articles you posted are about.

I'm cool with whatever Animation Nation wants to achieve or it's mission, whether I want to be a part of it or not. With the recent calling out of the union and ASIFA, I'm just confused about what exactly that is.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

yeah, how did it become about ASIFA? I dunno? its not about ASIFA to me. The question to me was, why do we continue to take orders from people who don't draw? To me it was about this paradigm that leaves people who don't draw in control.

That IS the core message to AN!!!

No one said put them out of business. At least thats not what I got out of it. In a lot of cases they are putting themselves out of business. Its totally about putting guys like YOU in business in their place.

From what I understand Charles believes the Union can do some good if there was serious reform. THis is what I'm getting from what I read. Me?
I think the time has past for the Union to position themselves to do anymore good. If they did something at one time, they are not now. but thats just me. But it isn't just me, its lots of people. But some people like the idea of a Union and I can see why. The idea is a solid one. Options are best though....more and more everyday.

Either way, the direction I saw that statement was about creators to start, if they havent already, thinking as business people themselves.
And that the keepers of the gate are just an illusion. We live in an age where we don't have to take orders from people who dont do what we do.

Seemed like a simple concept to me since AN repeats it so much in different ways.

Also making general statements is a way to not make things personal. By saying the whole system is controlled by non artists we avoid people thinking we're talking about them specifically...some people feel the need to pull
the subject in a personal matter. But this board is changing and certain people want to keep it where it was. I'm not for that. Luckily most of them left.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

As an example of the sort of resources the Archive is assembling, here is a series of articles on writing for animation that I assembled a while back. They chart the history of story in animation from the silent era into the golden age at Disney and Warners and beyond. Lots of examples of story sketches too.

Pt 1: The Gag Session

Pt 2: A Continuity Emerges

Pt 3: Structure

Pt 4: The Rough Board

I still have two more articles to write to complete the series, but there's plenty of useful information there already. Feel free to let me know what you think. sworth@vintageip.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Exactly. I'm glad you receive the benefits from our site, that you don't support.

Note he doesn't have a signature. A signature is a great place for people to leave permanent links to ones site. For a small annual fee you can have up to two links, more links if you choose to pay an additional small amount . You can even make custom banners that link to your works as well. The small annual fee helps Charles with administration costs. Like software,web space, programming, website up keep and meetings. Small affordable annual payments that also have benefits for members helps keep movements like this alive. Everyone does their part and no one feel ripped off. Anyone who has worked for a small business will know this.

But Steve worked around that and found a more efficient way to educate people about what he does. He's good like that. Students can really learn something from him. He's non profit don't you know? He's also been here for a decade guys, he's knows how to work it. Creatively.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

Grim Natwick is undoubtedly one of the most influential animators who ever lived. His career spanned the entire history of animation- from its earliest days in New York to Richard Williams' <I>Cobbler and the Thief</I> in recent times. Grim worked at many of the major studios- Hearst, Fleicher, Iwerks, Disney, Lantz, UPA, Jay Ward, Melendez and Richard WIlliams. He animated in every style, but was able to maintain his own personal flavor, regardless of whether he was animating for modern studios like UPA or cartoony ones like Fleischer. If one had to define the single element that set his animation apart, it would have to be that his characters always seemed to have a genuine spark of life.

Grim was a friend of mine. I spent many entertaining afternoons with him on his porch, listening to his memories of the old days. Grim remembered everything. I once mentioned the name of an assistant animator he worked with at Fleischer. Grim not only recalled working with him more than half a century before, he remembered his bowling scores! When Grim passed away at the ripe old age of 100, his family asked me to organize his artwork. Whenever Grim left a studio, the contents of his desk was emptied into boxes and sent off to his storage locker in Missouri. When all of the boxes arrived for sorting at his apartment in Santa Monica, I was astonished to find thousands and thousands of drawings- amazing examples from a career that spanned more than 75 years.

The drawings that were most precious were the gag drawings and caricatures that grew on the walls of the studios like leaves on a tree. There were also many important sketches documenting Grim's thought process- the roughs that were usually thrown in the trash after a job was completed. These are the drawings that make up this exhibit. I hope this exhibit gives you a clear idea of who Grim Natwick was as an artist and as a person.

ONLINE EXHIBIT: Grim Natwick's Scrapbook

Pt 1: Grim's Early Days In New York

Pt 2: Grim in the Golden Age of Animation (Iwerks, Disney, Lantz)

Pt 3: The Modern Era- UPA and Beyond

Pt 4: Grim Natwick- The Greatest Animator Who Ever Lived

You'll find a whole book's worth of material in these four links and the articles that link off of them. All of this is provided at no charge to the animation community by The International Animated Film Society: ASIFA-Hollywood. I hope you find it useful.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Steve has always had an open account with us. Apparently he has the same luxuries of the members who pay. Or thats what he chooses. I understand that might not seem fair for those who pay, but Steve sees a need and he fills it. In this case its the need to not contribute anything but to his personal promotional platform. He doesn't care about what he gets in return, cuz he just takes it.

He's educating students right now. His behavior has total educational application to the mission of AN. He sets the perfect example as to the type of behavior we deal with in our industry. Learn from this students, Steve would want it that way. When you go out into the industry remember what Steve taught you. There's so many people like Steve still out there.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

BobV
IE # 119
Member # 392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobV           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's so many people like Steve still out there.

I wish there were. Sheesh! [abducted]
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

quote:
You can go to animation school, spend a $100,000 and not learn a damn thing about the basics of good animation drawing- OR you can buy a Preston Blair book for $8 and learn it all in a couple months. You pick. --John Kricfalusi
The internet offers animation students opportunities that have never existed before. The one I'm about to tell you about is the chance of a lifetime. How would you like to learn to draw for animation from one of the greatest cartoonists of the golden age, and one of the greatest current cartoonists? Here's your chance...

Preston Blair was one of the finest draftsmen to ever work in the animated film. He animated Mickey Mouse in "Sorcerer's Apprentice", and he was one of the top animators at MGM, where he animated the legendary Red Hot Riding Hood. His book, titled simply Animation crystalized the basic principles of cartoon animation, and profoundly influenced a whole generation of young animators. He passed away in 1995.

John Kricfalusi revolutionized television animation- first with Ralph Bakshi on Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures, and then on "The Ren & Stimpy Show. He went on to pioneer Flash animation with the first internet cartoon series, The Goddamn George Liquor Program. John has done extensive research into the techniques and processes of the golden age cartoons, and he is sharing his knowledge on his blog, All Kinds Of Stuff.

To participate in this informal blog-based drawing course, you will need to get a copy of Preston Blair's Animation (Book 1).It is available at most art stores and Amazon. You will also need to print out the pages of the first edition of the book on these two pages...

Preston Blair's Animation First Edition Part One

Preston Blair's Animation First Editon Part Two

Here are links to the ten lessons with John K's notes and Preston Blair's exercises...

Lesson 1: Construction/The Head

Lesson 2: Squash & Stretch

Lesson 3: Proportions/Check Your Work

Lesson 4: 2 Legged Characters/Full Body

Lesson 5: Line of Action/Silhouettes

Lesson 6: Advanced Head Construction

Lesson 7: When Generic Is A Good Thing

Lesson 8: Proportions Affect Design/Contrasts

Lesson 9: Hands- Simplifying Complicated Things

Lesson 10: Models- Substance and Style

quote:
If you learn the principles correctly, you will be able to draw in any style today. You'll be miserable having to dumb down your abilities- but you will be in demand. --John Kricfalusi
I hope you find this information useful.
bigshot
Member # 1024

Sorry, a broken link in that last post...

CORRECTED Preston Blair's Animation First Edition Pt 2

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Whats great about AN is that even people who don't support AN get promoted on AN. Steve is here on his own accord to promote people who don't support AN or believe in its core message. I know I know, its kinda strange for someone who does what he does with no desire for anything in return would come here time and time again to take and take and never give back. It may sound contradictory but Steve is educating the youngin's somehow. I know he is. After all he says he is, and if he says thats what he's doing then we should all believe him.

I know Steve is thankful for AN but he just has a hard time showing his appreciation, so he just continues to use our platform to give props to everyone but the platform that allows him to do so...and to tell us how wrong we are along the way...hey, he's just educating people. He's not into self promotion or looking for anything in return.

he sees a need and he fills it.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Tell all your boys we're more than happy to continue to promote them. I understand how hard it is to get people to care so I see why you come here. Our members and viewership is going up everyday while others are going down. We're here to help.

No thanks needed, this is what we have always done.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

Seeing the fantastic examples by Mary Blair, Milt Gross and Jack Kirby on the John K Stuff blog reminded me how UN-designed many animated films and print cartoons are today.

When I went to design school, I don't remember any real serious analysis of compositional techniques beyond the most basic principles. Compositions were critiqued with "gut reactions", which might be helpful in identifying a design that isn't working, but it doesn't help an artist trying to figure out how to improve and strengthen his work.

I dug through my reference shelves and pulled another invaluable lesson from the Famous Artists Course. This is lesson three from the Illustration Course this time. In methodical fashion, the famed illustrators Albert Dorne, Norman Rockwell, Al Parker, Peter Helck, Austin Briggs, Ben Stahl and Fred Ludekens team up to break down the nuts and bolts of what makes a picture work. I also linked to a series of articles by John K and a great post by Mark Kennedy that give further insight into composition and its importance to layout and design.

Fundamentals of Composition Part 1

Fundamentals of Composition Part 2

Enjoy and use this material!

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Maybe if we're lucky Steve will show us what his design school background has taught him....besides just reviewing other peoples hard work I wonder if he can educate the students on his creative background.

Ready, Steve, GO! Show us your art! Show us your qualified to educate artists on art! Show us you know what you're talking about and not just one of those other guys who have no artistic ability to back their opinions, reviews or critiques.

GO GO GO!!! I believe in you!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a hard time getting to the Archive site itself!

Either it's loaded down with requests at the moment--or just down. I'll try the links again, in a few.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Well, if its down because of the links he posted here its just a testament to how much AN helps people like Steve, I mean ASIFA. We have a lot of people reading and lurking. But Steve knows that, thats why he's here.

your welcome!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

Our server appears to be upgrading this week, Enoch. It should be back soon. I'll have more links for you in a bit.
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Steve, you're heart is so Big. you give back so much.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

While you're waiting for the A-HAA site to come back online, check out these great recent posts on the amazing puppet animator, George Pal...

Michael Sporn's Splog: Coronet George Pal Article

Jerry Beck's Cartoon Brew: George Pal Puppet Auction

If you aren't familiar with George Pal, check out AWN's Profile in Animation Heaven and Hell and rent the DVDs The Puppetoon Movie and The Fantasy Film Worlds of George Pal. You'll be glad you did!

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. Links are live, now!

I'll be saving some of these pages for offline reading later.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Ahhh, more people who don't support AN and/or have smeared our names being promoted on our web site. Just goes to show how progressive and positive AN is no matter how negative the people leaving links are.

Is there anything else we can do for you, Steve? do you need more room? You have permission to keep leaving links, but if you need anything else just ask...or just take it without asking, its all good. After all You're here to educate and to give back.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

Mary Blair is probably the most beloved concept artists in the history of animation. Her influence is still being felt, both in theatrical and television animation. Everyone knows about her work for Disney, but Blair produced several outstanding books for the Western Publishing Golden Book line. Here are links to a sampling of scans from these books. Enjoy!

Mary Blair's Little Verses

Mary Blair's New Golden Song Book

Mary Blair's Baby's House

Let me know if you'd like to see more. It's fun gathering together all of these great posts for you.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

But what about your art, Steve? lets see it. you sure are good at talking about other peoples art, but what are your qualifications for it to be considered educational.

what did you say??
" Compositions were critiqued with "gut reactions", which might be helpful in identifying a design that isn't working, but it doesn't help an artist trying to figure out how to improve and strengthen his work"

thats a great line...I think it means unless you know what you're talking about your feelings don't mean quite so much, don't tell me show me sort of thing.I can dig it!..so show us you know what you're talking about. Show us your art from Design school. Come on Steve! think of the students! You can really shut up the nay sayers if you show your art.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012