AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Animation Contests, Opportunity or Slave Labor?

Author Topic: Animation Contests, Opportunity or Slave Labor?
Crazy Lou
Member # 3537

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Crazy Lou   Email Crazy Lou         Edit/Delete Post 
On a site called Aniboom.com there are constantly contests with hundreds of Entrants animating up to four minutes of Flash, traditional 2-D or CG/3-D animation for the chance to win a prize. The entrants typically forfeit all their rights as a condition of participation... is this right? wrong? an opportunity? or a Scam? I did one over the summer as a group project, check it out I'd love to know what the Nation thinks of this topic.

Aniboom Holiday contest

IP: Logged
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I think any contest that makes you sign your rights away is ********.

So many companies use this contest angle to get content because they are incapable of creating concepts themselves. Now with the internet based companies you have so much of this mentality.

AN is the same as these sites. We have traffic, good traffic and we extend it to our members because ultimately it helps our site just as much as it helps you. But noone wants your rights. Again, thats ******** and I would strongly advise against submitting your hard work, your time (which is more precious then anything) to vultures who want to claim your kill.

If you have something produced you're ahead of their game. cuz they don't have dick. they look to people like you to leach off of. but if you have something they don't become their competition especially if they're not helping your cause...and signing your rights away is, again, ********.

The only time your rights are signed away is when its after you get a fat check in your hands...and even then, you should sign wisely.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah.....slave labour....but it's up to you

they CAN give you some exposure so perhaps a quick easy film is worthwhile....but with maybe only a day or two work. They do have some nice films there....I only shudder to think that a few artists may have spent many hard weeks on something only to find out they don't own it ( or even any further works based on the same character ? )

Someone asked me last year to run a contest for them.....they offered me 50K if I could bring in 26 5 minute episodes....and suggested the schools would be the best place to go. Maybe I should have taken the money and said noone bit hehehehe.

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
My thinking was along these same lines, dermot. If you can crank it out Ub Iwerks-style, in an afternoon, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, work on something with the goal of making it your own.
siskavard
Member # 3175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siskavard   Author's Homepage   Email siskavard         Edit/Delete Post 
I only enter contests that don't ask too much of my time and don't keep any rights. Any contest that wants more than a minute of animation and want the rights is no contest, it's a pillage.

Nickelodeon currently has their "15 seconds to Fame" contest. They want to see 15 seconds of animation and don't keep any rights (unless they want your character to develop a pilot.

Very reasonable, I just submitted my entry.

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColorInAble   Author's Homepage   Email ColorInAble         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Pinky and the Brain where Brain is all out of ideas on how to take over the world, so he makes an open call for scripts, for ideas on how to take over the world. The whole rest of the cartoon is just a bunch of pitch meetings of plots on how to take over the world...

And he doesn't pay anything, just offers "Points on the Back End"...

Simply, they are stealing from you!!!

If you still owned it, it'd be different!!!
If it were a reasonable amount of animation (like less than 30 seconds), it'd be different!!!
If they paid $10,000 to the winner it'd be different... (though on this one, not that much different, if you don't get the prize you are out 4 minutes of Animation)!!!

You'll do better trying to get an animation job on Craig's list!!! At least then you'll get $120 for your 120 hours of work, instead of nothing!!!

--------------------
 -

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
holy crap.....I DID that job but got stuck for the $120

jk.....nice one

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012