AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » new colour pics from 1906-ish / russia

Author Topic: new colour pics from 1906-ish / russia
dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
perhaps a resource for someone or just really cool ; this link talks about some old pics found......the Tsars photographer was taking glass plate negs with various colour filters....apparently to be able to print colour later.....and now they have been found....sorted and combined digitally.

follow the links to 2606 images.....lots of the grounds flowers though

http://www.newsweek.com/id/214585

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

IP: Logged
E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Astonishing. Many photographs from this area have deteriorated out of existence; black & white, color or otherwise!

I wonder what other visual treasures remain undiscovered, like color short films from the early 1900s, shot in Europe or France somewhere that's locked away & haven't been exhibited in a century?

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
These are new? I'd swear I read about these, and downloaded several, seven or eight years ago. They were among my desktop wallpapers for a while. I think.
tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Very Cool! I always wanted to do something similar to this back when I was taking a lot of photo classes in college. This process is actually a lot like the idea behind the old three strip technicolor process.

Color negatives didn't really see the light of day until closer to WWII. The earliest color motion picture negatives that I know of are also from that era. The film speeds back then were super slow so it took an enormous amount of light to create a good exposure. Compare that to digital where you can pull a good image in realatively dim light without a whole lot of noise.

I think a lot of the technique of shooting has been lost to digital. It seems like very few kids who shoot digital have any real idea about things like depth of field or using focal length to thier benefit.

It should be standard for all animation students to learn how to shoot with a traditional camera (especially 3D students).

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012