AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Who was at Filmation? Please check in...

Author Topic: Who was at Filmation? Please check in...
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's start a roll call of ANers who were at Filmation Studios at any given time. If you ever worked there, please join in and let us know. Give us an idea of when you were at the studio and for how long, and the shows you worked on.

I'll start...

From 1982 to 1983, in 1984 and 1986.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, original development team, layout on early episodes and character design.

He-Man season 2, character design.

She-Ra Princess of Power, original development team, character design.

Filmations Ghostbusters, a few episodes at end of season, character design.

Bravestarr, original development team, character design.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Rob Lamb
Member # 343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Lamb   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Lamb         Edit/Delete Post 
1981: The New Adventures of Zorro, Hero High, Shazam! - apprentice storyboard artist

1983 - 1989:
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - storyboards (both seasons), writing (2nd season)
Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids - storyboards
She-Ra, Princess of Power - writing (1st season), storyboards (both seasons)
Filmation's Ghostbusters - Storyboard Production Coordinator
BraveStarr - Storyboard Production Coordinator
Bravo! - Storyboard Production Coordinator
Bugzburg - Storyboard Production Coordinator, storyboards

Bravo! and Bugzburg were in production when Filmation was shut down.

--------------------
http://www.robertartwriter.com/

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
I never worked at Filmation, but I was a constant visitor from the beginning.

I hung out at the studio on Riverside Drive in Toluca Lake. I often visited the studio on Reseda Blvd., and I finally stopped in on occasion at their last facility out in Granada Hills.

I had many friends who worked at Filmation, and it was always fun to stop in and see what they were up to. My wife even worked there for a time.

Filmation boss, Hal Sutherland often wondered why I wasn’t at my desk -- and I had to remind him (very often) that I wasn’t employed by the company.

Alex
Member # 3571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex   Email Alex         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I was there from late 1984 until about October 1985, so about a year. I used to take three buses to get from Venice to Reseda. I was doing layout for She-Ra, and Lorenzo Martinez was head of layout at that time.
I remember the vast banks of filing cabinets filled with all the stock character animation that the studio re-used over and over in order to try to keep costs down. I also remember finding a magazine piece lying on the copier that talked about the strange new studio called DIC, that was nonunion and was destined to change the industry.

--------------------
http://economyballoontours.com

RMills
IE # 151
Member # 2986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RMills   Author's Homepage   Email RMills         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at Filmation from about 1986-1989. I worked mostly in their feature division on Variel St. in Canoga Park. I went from inbetweener to animator in a mater of months mainly because during my interview Hal Sutherland didn't believe I had animated prior to that for Disney and Bluth. [Gary]
After the feature division shut down and I was laid-off for a few months I was asked back to animate on Bravo! and Bugsburg. And yes I was there when they shut their doors.

--------------------
www.rustymillsanimation.com

John (Gian) Celestri
Member # 176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John (Gian) Celestri   Email John (Gian) Celestri         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Rusty! I was there from 1985 to 1988. Was the first hired by Hal Sutherland to be a Sequence Director on the feature unit. The studio on Variel Street wasn't ready yet, so I was temporarily assigned as an animator on She-Ra...but the TV series directors at Filmation put up a stink because company policy had all new potential hires take an animation test to prove they could animate. So, Hal had to have me spend my first day there animating a test of He-Man running into the scene and swinging a sword...this was after my years of being a directing animator at Nelvana and working for Bluth on Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. I handed the scene in at the end of the day and never heard a peep from any director after that.
John (Gian) Celestri
Member # 176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John (Gian) Celestri   Email John (Gian) Celestri         Edit/Delete Post 
And Hi, Rob! (I didn't meet Rob until more than 13 years after I'd left Filmation...and it was through posting here on Animation Nation!)
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Bronnie was at Filmation. That's where I met her.

Dan St. Pierre, Lorenzo Martinez, I remember Bruce Zick, all of these guys went on to work in features and become some of the greatest BG layout, viz dev artists in the industry.

As I mentioned before, Bruce Timm was there, I met Jim Gomez there, Tom T, lots of first rate talent that went on to leave their mark on the animation industry.

--------------------
 -

Rob Lamb
Member # 343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Lamb   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Lamb         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi back atcha John!

I will be forever grateful to AN for helping us connect. It's been great working with you and hope for more in the future.

[guitar]

--------------------
http://www.robertartwriter.com/

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 7 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
Entering and signing in..
I had a GREAT time at Filmation, made some wonderful friends.
1984-1985 Background Graphics on He Man,and She-Ra
1986 Model Design on She- Ra and Ghostbusters
1986-87 Assistant Animation on such gems as: Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night
Snow White: Happily Ever After

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I was there when Michael Spooner came into work in animation for the first time. He was in illustration and was hired as a layout artist for He-Man season 1. He was one of the artists who shared the room we were in. Went on to great things as well, a long career in feature animation.

http://theartofmichaelspooner.blogspot.com/

--------------------
 -

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I was there on the features "Pinocchio & the Emperor of the Night" and "Happily Ever After" (aka "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfelles" ) with Bronnie, Gian Celestri , Rusty Mills, and many other luminaries , including Lee Crowe who posts here occasionally. 1986 - 1987

Not great films, but my God ! what a wonderful crew and group of people. Check out the names on the crews: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093743/fullcredits and
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099733/fullcredits

Here are a few photos:

my last day at Filmation Feature Unit (we were working on BraveStarr during the downtime after "Happily Ever After" feature wrapped up) -

-
(goodbye to my BraveStarr model sheets)

Filmation Feature Unit Halloween 1986 -

-
(I see the lovely Bronwen Barry in this photo , as well as AN regulars Rusty Mills and Lee Crowe)

Filmation Halloween 1986 -

Eric Daniels and Lee Crowe. (ace animator/director Bruce Smith to the left behind Eric)

-

Filmation Halloween '86 -
 -
(Will Finn, Eric Daniels, Mauro Maressa, Bruce Strock) .

Do animation studios still have dress up days on Halloween ? I do hope so. (C'mon we're cartoonists, dammit. )

The mysterious Chuck Mitman Memorial Clock at Filmation Features Unit:
 -

In photo below is me (David Nethery) and Lenord Robinson. I think this is the day that the closing of the Filmation Feature unit was announced. Lenord looks totally confident about the future , I look a bit uncertain ... but my next stop was Disney on the L.A. Unit of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" under Dale Baer. Never looked back. Good times.

-

-

( a lot of the people in this Roger Rabbit crew photo were the same people who were working at Filmation Features a year prior. And I should say that working for Dale and Jane Baer on Roger Rabbit was one of the best experiences of my life. )

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012