AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Pixar's "Up" release May 29 '09 - Member Reviews

Author Topic: Pixar's "Up" release May 29 '09 - Member Reviews
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
'Up' will be officially released tomorrow, May 29, 2009.

Reviews by our members are welcome. Please use this thread and let us know what you think of the film. No spoilers please, give everyone a chance to enjoy the movie.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
willryan
Member # 1708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willryan   Email willryan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw a sneak preview last night here in Chicago thanks to capone over at Ain't It Cool News. It certainly matches Toy Story 2's humor while also tugging at the heartstrings of the audience much in line with Pete Docter's previous movie. I actually need to see the movie again as there were lines that couldn't be heard because the crowd was still buzzing with laughter. It's a surprisingly contradictory movie at times: it's a big idea of a movie but the actual scope is very small and personal. There's really only 3-4 main characters we deal with the entire time.

The use of 3D is similarly contradictory as it's both understated and majestic at the same time: think the exact opposite of Monsters vs Aliens use of 3D. There's no paddleball bouncing at the audience scene here. After about 10 minutes in, I nearly forgot that the movie was in 3D until we got to the second act. Once we really set out on the adventure it ramps up again, but it's never overstated. I actually thought the use of 3D in Partly Cloudy, Pete Sohn's short before Up used the 3D more effetively.

As always, the art direction in Up was superb, but I was most in awe of the surfacing and lighting of the characters. There's one scene in particular that's lit by a single practical light source that really stood out for me as some of the most dramatic and artistically lit CG scenes I've scene in a while.

All that being said, it's a roller coaster of an emotional ride; if someone would have written on paper what the opening scene was attempting to accomplish I would have said it was impossible. I hope it doesn't sound like hyperbole, but I stand on my past statement that Pixar's current roster of directors and board artists are the greatest collection of storytellers we've had in the history of cinema.

Go see this one with someone you love.

pud
IE # 30
Member # 245

Icon 7 posted      Profile for pud   Author's Homepage   Email pud         Edit/Delete Post 
emotional storytelling in animation.
And that's why we do it. :-)

Very looking forward to seeing this with the family.

--------------------
" Your Scenes are there forever." - Ollie Johnston
http://markpudleiner.blogspot.com/

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 14 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it at a midnight screening here on the east coast.

Short review because I'm so tired:

Liked it a lot . Will see it again. [thumbsup]

(must sleep now...)

Bruce
IE # 1
Member # 36

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bruce   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this movie. I've seen it twice now, courtesy of my employer, and I would happily pay to see it again to share the experience with friends and family. It's got a great story, marvelously inventive, beautifully told and heartfelt, great laughs, and some wonderful action sequences.

The 3D experience helps somewhat (I'm not a big fan of anybody's 3D process), but isn't essential. Unfortunately, the advertising is giving away some of the surprises; see this movie before others reveal more punch lines.

A big part of this film's appeal is the way the journey keeps opening up new emotional territory for the characters to travel. There's something downright magical about it, like the best of Miyazaki. This is the first animated film in a long long time that I wish I'd had a hand in making. See it.

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
“Something downright magical.” Remember when that term was used to describe Disney films?

This film worked for me when it was still on the boards. There’s something about the “balls out” freedom and incredible confidence of Pixar’s creative team. I know. I observed it when I worked there.

Disney once had it -- and could have it again. But management would have to allow animation to live dangerously, and I’m afraid they no longer have the stomach to do that.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck Oberleitner of o-meon.com gives UP a glowing review...

Disney • Pixar’s UP, Simply the Best Picture of 2009 Thus Far
By C. W. Oberleitner

May 29, 2009

Pixar swings for the fences and knocks yet another one out of the park. UP debuts today and our man in Hollywood tells us its primed to make audiences of all ages laugh, cry and just plain feel good all over.

http://www.obe-mediaone.com/pages/reviews/2009/05-29_UP-1.html

--------------------
 -

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
$21.4 Million, Friday alone.

And counting. . .

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
A+

Just plain beautiful.

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

willryan
Member # 1708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willryan   Email willryan         Edit/Delete Post 
The box office predictions keep rising: first $55 million, then $63m, and finally now $68m. Word of mouth seems to be getting stronger with each day for Up, almost in the exact opposite fashion as it was for Terminator last weekend.
siskavard
Member # 3175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siskavard   Author's Homepage   Email siskavard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an amazing film.

I like how Carl is flawed & full of regrets.

I liked the villian but to be honest I wish they would have given him a bit more screen time. It felt like his motivations were told & not really felt. Maybe I need to just see it again.

Anyways, it was a hell of a ride!

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
They are projecting 68M. Thank god a new order is in place. When MTR made 2/3rds of that some folks were looking for a window to jump out of.

UP will have legs. I hope it will be around for a couple of months, at least until Harry Potter in July. Then all bets are off. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

GaryClair
Member # 3164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaryClair   Email GaryClair         Edit/Delete Post 
Love everything about this movie.

This was Pixar playing with my heartstrings...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtc9a4TgRus

I also loved the short "Partly Cloudy"

Kudos to Pixar on another amazing movie. They knocked another one out of the park.
[cheers]

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who’s ever been to a matinee with their kids know how loud and crazy it can be. And, I’ll admit that during the ads and trailers the children were pretty much unsettled. However, once “Up” began, the kids settled down and were totally entranced by the movie.

So much for the idiot marketing Bozos who said kids would never sit still for a movie about an old man.

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
Awsome movie I took my family and my 4 & 6 years olds sat still for the whole thing! There were some scary moments, but other then that it was great. Being a Boy Scout my favorate joke was the Snipe Hunt reference.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Fun said the magic word, "magic".

I was about to post about how Disney still has it's magic because of the classic films and how PIXAR is keeping that faith going.

It's such a given now that a PIXAR film will be magical and top quality that it's setting the standard for not only neato stuff but for film making or cinema. Saw that with their last movie which was brilliant.

It ain't the CG that makes PIXAR it's the quality stories, characters and storytelling. CG was PIXAR's novelty but every five minutes a new CG movie comes out but how many are as great as a PIXAR flick? Just a handful and of course Shrek is the box office champ so the fun is still there but CG ain't what made Shrek, it was story, storytelling, and characters.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012