AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » So who uses Photoshop as their primary paint program?

Author Topic: So who uses Photoshop as their primary paint program?
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta paint a children's book and I'm going to use Photoshop as my primary paint program. Any of you use Photoshop only or are there other programs you recommend?

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

IP: Logged
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Painter is great as long as you either have a fast machine or know the program enough to make efficient brushes. brushes in Painter can make it go way slow. I never got use to that program like I wanted to. PS is my main source, I scan in my illustrations and go from there. sometimes making textures organically, scanned, or through use of digital photos I take. I also go to paper shops because they have the best textured papers to manipulate digitally and utilize in my paintings.

PS3 also allows you to import 3D models now, which you can change camera position dynamically. give it skins and light it. pretty crazzy. wish I had that when I was working on The Red Star.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Metsys
Member # 3503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metsys   Email Metsys         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Photoshop to do my illustration work. I've stuck with Photoshop because I've found it's brush system to be more robust even though it has less cool effects like water color spreading and the 3d texture of oil paints (I haven't used the newest version of Painter so I'm not sure what's changed). I find it harder to tell if a skilled digital artist used Photoshop than someone who used Painter because the Painter brushes has a signature look, and maybe people who use Photoshop are more prone to make their own brushes. I know I'm one of those people.

The other thing I like about Photoshop is it's photo editing tools that can also be used to help with illutration work. I love being able to do color adjustments quickly on the color study phase of my illustrations.

If I really want the oil paint look I'll use ArtRage which costs $25. ArtRage has a great oil paint brush and it's much cheaper than Painter.

Also, I'll use Blender (free/open source 3D program) for helping me out with mechanical and architectural stuff. So that's my triad of software that I use. Blender and ArtRage are great supplements because they are either free or only $25.

--------------------
http://glenmoyes.blogspot.com

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Illustrator, but I go for a more graphic style.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

HMonty
IE # 224
Member # 654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HMonty   Email HMonty         Edit/Delete Post 
After trying various paint and vector programs I settled on Paint Tool SAI for an easy to use interface and the smoothest inking that works well with my tablet.
Chris Greco
Member # 3335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Greco   Email Chris Greco         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Photoshop for everything from concepts and illustrations to painting backgrounds and now even 2D animation. It is quick and adaptable. Also the inevitable changes/fixes and revisions are easy to do. I have heard good things about Art Rage and hope to try it out soon.

--------------------
www.christophergreco.blogspot.com

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Photoshop is the way to go if you are doing video work with After Effects. One of the cool things about Photoshop and After Effects is that you can import streams of Photoshop files. However, this is the key: as long as the layers are named the same After Effects will recognize those layers as footage.

We did a spot that was all illustrated in PS but it had to be flexible. By using a batch command you could set each file up with the layers in the right order and named correctly. When we imported them into AE we had complete control over the individual layers as footage. This gives you the anility to control things like opacity and color gloablly so each individual file doesn't have to be opened and adjusted.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Splatman
IE # 94
Member # 2096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Splatman   Author's Homepage   Email Splatman         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an older version of Painter (8) and I really love all the different medias, brushes, pencils, whatever. Plus you can manipulate the canvas (wet, dry, etc.) during your project.

THEN I bring 'em into Photoshop where I feel more familiar with the editing, etc.

I'd suggest downloading the Trial versions and then dinking around with 'em both! [cheers]

Splatman [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chief Doodler
SPLAT digital
www.SPLATdigital.com

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gang. I was right to stick with photoshop. Snakebite is right about textures. By sheer dumb luck I discovered even more application of photoshop over fine art. It's more tedious but the effects are outstanding. Normally I hire people to do the digital color but I realized I needed to get better at it.

--------------------

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
Combine Photoshop with a Cintiq and you'll have even more fun painting. Like peanut butter and chocolate!
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Yes, combining programs makes the job more fun. Since this is the launching of this children's book franchise I'm going to keep things simple and then expand as the series grows.

--------------------

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
We use both Painter and Adobe PhotoShop. Both applications are awesome, and you can pretty much do everything you once did with conventional media.
JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been exploring with photoshop a lot more lately.. I have painter and some gnomon dvd's to go with it, but just haven't had the time to try stuff out. I really enjoy sketching in Sketchbook pro.. wish that program had a timeline. Other than that, I use Illustrator and Flash for professional work.

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

roger
IE # 141
Member # 2352

Icon 14 posted      Profile for roger   Author's Homepage   Email roger         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

we use a mix of classic media (then digitize = scan or photograph) and Photoshop as our main swissArmy knife.

ArtRage (also nowadays bundled with wacom Bamboo) is a fast and great app that offers something i still miss in PS that you can rotate the artboard whilst you work.

Painter is great, but because of its many many options i tend to loose myself in trying settings instead of getting the job done.

And more often than not we combine these apps. Also the workflow of illustrator for complex masks and finish them in PS works a treat.

There is more than one way to Rome [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.canvas.nl

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caracal   Author's Homepage   Email Caracal         Edit/Delete Post 
greg

I mostly use PS but I'm not doing professional digital Bg or matte painting. Otherwise I would try to master Painter because I think the brush controls are far more sophisticated. I wish Painter layers and controls were as easy to work with as PS.

By the way I've heard CS 4 Lets you rotate your canvas in PS.

Cheers

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

The Toshiba computers I used to use had a mouse device that allowed for razor sharp precision. They discontinued that device and that so sucks. So to use it again I have to hook up one computer to the old one and use the old keyboard for it. I didn't even look to se if there was a new keyboard application that duplicates it.

Anyhow, for kids' books I normally would use watercolor or color pencils but this time I'll use PS. The transmedia application of different platforms like iPods etc. is another consideration for using PS as well as using FLASH.

I'll go get me some new plugins and practice my blurring techniques.

--------------------

roger
IE # 141
Member # 2352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger   Author's Homepage   Email roger         Edit/Delete Post 
Caracal you are absolutly right! just hold down the "r" key and your artboard turns in CS4
(that is what you get when you start complaining before reading the whats new manual)

--------------------
http://www.canvas.nl

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any of you use Photoshop only or are there other programs you recommend?
Photoshop is fine , but no one program has everything , so I mix it up a bit .

Mostly I use TVP Animation (which has drawing tools similar to Sketchbook Pro, but built into an actual animation application with X-sheet/timeline. TVP also has great paint tools and Effects )

I also use ArtRage 2 frequently for sketching and coloring (non-animation projects) .

Photoshop is probably third on my list of most used applications, but I still use it quite often.

hamsterbite
IE # 3
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hamsterbite   Email hamsterbite         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Photoshop on the Cintiq is my main one, although I miss the old analog paint brushes and paper.

I scan in my pencil sketches usually.

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself am not tremendously picky about which programs I use, which is why I usually settle for Photoshop. Sometimes, I even find PS Elements good for what I need to accomplish.

Illustrator also kicks loads of ass, as well.

talos72
IE # 66
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talos72   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be a primary Painter user, but over the recent years I have switched almost exclusively to Photoshop mainly for its editing tools. For achieving the painterly look, Painter does have some tricks up its sleeves that Photoshop can't replicate. I don't really like how the opacity property of Photoshop brushes work like transparent ink, versus Painter's intuitive brush engine which really allows you to blend and mix strokes like real paint. That said, I have learned to work with Photoshop and really only use few basic brushes for my paintings...sometimes I create custom ones for effects.

All said, in a perfect world Painter brushes would run as plugins in Photoshop (like Deep Paint used to somewhat). Cintique and Photoshop are a nice combo though.

--------------------
Portfolio Online

My Art Blog

My Photo Blog

talos72
IE # 66
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talos72   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the way I've heard CS 4 Lets you rotate your canvas in PS.
You have to have proper open-GL setup, otherwise from my experience the live rotation too is hit and miss. I am not sure how Painter has managed to have live rotation that works well for many years, but Photoshop first attempt is half-assed.

--------------------
Portfolio Online

My Art Blog

My Photo Blog

Noogy
IE # 18
Member # 705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noogy   Email Noogy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of Painter, mainly because I can rotate and zoom my canvas on the fly. And the tools are incredibly robust. I tend to jump back and forth between that and Photoshop whenever painting, since both have strengths over the other.

--------------------
-Dean Dodrill

-

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012