AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » AN's new homepage - Let's build it out

Author Topic: AN's new homepage - Let's build it out
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
This topic is dedicated to discussing our new homepage. Your constructive comments and suggestions are welcome.

Take a look at the homepage if you haven't seen it yet.

http://animationnation.com

We have areas set aside for advertising and areas open to develop as free spaces. Let's take a look at the free spaces and figure out how we can develop them.

The categories that are currently labeled are:

Column Formation
Shield Wall
Overwatch
Creators Barracks
AN Intelligence
Line Formation
Guerilla Tactics
Hors de Combat
I Bite
I Score
Animation Spotlight
Artist Spotlight
Comic Cache

At the bottom left corner of the page is a poll that is open to the public. The Poll AN Forum is reserved for our registered members, but this poll is open to anyone who comes to the homepage, and will stay that way. We can have individual polls from which visitors can choose to participate and the subjects can be anything we want them to be. Fun and whimsical or serious and relevant.

The categories I listed above are listings created by Snakebite. We're not married to them and they can change depending upon how we decide the categories will be utilized. I have my own ideas as to how to dedicate some of these categories. For one thing, I'd like to get away from suggestions of combat and fighting. We fought the good fight on AN, and although we have militant pro-activity at our roots, I'd like to grow away from that and leave it in the past without dulling up our revolutionary edge. I'll contribute more of my own suggestions later.

Most of these categories will feature links to other sites and artists. Some of them are obvious, such as Animation Spotlight and Artist Spotlight. Others are more open to interpretation and change according to what we decide upon.

Feel free to offer your ideas and suggestion of what we can do here, and I'll follow with some of my own. Together I'm confident we can structure a plan that can make the most out of the free space we have available on the home page to develop.

The sooner we can get a difinitive direction going with free space areas, the sooner we can implement those ideas.

Thaks in advance, folks. Looking forward to your thoughts.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
roger
IE # 141
Member # 2352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger   Author's Homepage   Email roger         Edit/Delete Post 
I presume the current categories are inspired by the sort of Army stencil letters that have been in the logo as long as i know it. And i quite like the take on that and would not like to change the look of it, but maybe the categories could be more animation related: like "collumn" could be "story board" etc

--------------------
http://www.canvas.nl

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

You're on target with that Roger. We're getting similar feedback and coming to that conclusion among ourselves. We're very flexible with it, nothing's carved in stone. A meeting this afternoon has made alot of progress. Will follow up later as to what we're thinking as far as changes go and how we're going to be using these areas for content. Meantime, your suggestions are welcome and helpful.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Here's what's up...

http://animationnation.com

The 'Hors de Combat' category is going to be changed to AN 'Hall Of Fame'. We're going to have permanent links there to members of the forums who from their art, their service to inspiring the community, their entreprenuerial independent spirit, have proven themselves as all time role models for the generations to follow.

We're going to start with Mr. Fun, Floyd Norman. Also Michel Gagne, Shane Glines, Raul Garcia (raymundio), and SoleilSmile. We're keeping it at that list for now.

The 'I Bite' category will be an area hosted by Snakebite. The fiocus of that section will be showcasing great artists who may not necesasrily be registered on AN, but are artists whom we should know about none the less.

The 'I Score' section will be hosted by our webmaster, Adtrian Foster. This will be an excelctic mix of links and such that will be varied. Links to music sites, sites of interest that will expand our view of things beyond just animation.

'Column Formation' will be dedicated to featuring links to your editorials on the forums. Post an interesting commentary when you start a thread and if the staff feels that your wisdom, insights, vision and viewpoints should be shared with the world, a link to your editorial will be posted in this section so that homepage visitors can be efficiently directed to it. Be sure you've got a link to your site or blog on your AN account!

We're also going to change one of the free sections to 'World's Greatest Blogs' where we'll link to exceptional blogs maintained by not only our members but of members who launched their blog careers from the time they were with us on AN, plus others that warrant the attention of that comes with high art and creative distinction.

'Comic Cache' will be devoted to links of interest pertaining to the world of comics.

Shield Wall will be devoted to linking to AN members whose work is exceptional and who've been active on our Gallery over the years, distinguishing the Gallery and maintaining its esteem by virtue of their use of it as a medium of public presentation of art.

That's as far as we got down that line today. What you think of it so far?

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Sorry, I think that Shield Wall is going to be used for permanent links to the Guild, ASIFA- Hollywood, to other chapters of ASIFA, to The Animation Archive, to AWN's School Database, to the Freelancers Union, the Graphic Artists Guild, to sites that are noteworthy for their service and importance to arists in the biz.

'Line Formation' will be what I described 'Shield Wall' as being in the above post.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Sorry, forgot to include Dennis Woodyard in AN's Hall Of Fame.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

'Creators Barracks' will be for art/animation students who are distinguishing themselves by virtue of the outstanding web presence they maintain with their work. Stay in touch with us and let us know what you're up to.

'AN Intelligence' will be dedicated to educational things, tutorials, articles about artists' rights, lessons from our members, etc. which we'll archive as well.

We'll take the 'Overwatch' area and dedicate it to podcasts. Ones that already exist such as a permanent link to AnimationPodcast.com plus others from various sources and of course ones that our members produce.

--------------------
 -

Shane Glines
IE # 87
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Glines   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Glines         Edit/Delete Post 
Very flattered, thank you!
S.

--------------------
www.shaneglines.net
www.cartoonretro.com

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got to see the home page and was shocked to see my big banner on there. Hehehe... thanks guys! It will be interesting to see the page building up with artwork and banners. Thank you for giving me space to display my work. Much appreciated.

Here are some suggestions:

I think it would be nice to have the video player visible and move down the menus below it. Maybe something along these lines:

-

Also - Why are the clips grayed down when displayed in the menus? I know they clear up when the cursor goes over but, to me, that's not very attractive.

I know the military look is what AN is going for, but with all the war stuff that's going on around the world, I think it might be a turn off for some peace loving folks. My wife first's reaction was "It looks like a war/army site". I think it would be nice to bring in some colors and harmonious designs, and tone down the army look a bit. This will probably happen naturally as more people provide artworks and ideas.

Congratulation to all involved and I very much look forward to seeing how it evolves.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I can see what you're saying about the colors of the clips in the menu, Michel.

The colors and feel of the site will change, although we'll always have the military font since it matches the logo. but again, I'm already creating a library of skins and colors to change up the mood of the site that we're thinking of changing once a month.

The player is designed the way it is to take advantage of the space. if we lay it out in the manner you suggest it would take up more room than we want to give up. But I like the idea of adding a title on the top of that section to give people a clue as to what it is.

We will eventually have a whole page dedicated to a larger player that will have our full archive of clips and categories.

Lets bring the conversation back to content. Design is important but theres so many ways to go with that it can be overwhelming. the paradox of the infinite choice and all.

I want to talk more about content in each of the framed areas. As well as interested to hear if anyone is wanting to contribute to those sections as well.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Dennis Woodyard
IE # 81
Member # 2314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Woodyard   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Woodyard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! You almost got me to pull a "Sally Fields"(Oscar speech)

I'm truly honored to named to the AN Hall of Fame. In many way this means more to me than a Emmy nomination. I will do my best to live up to high praise from a very creative and talented group whom I have only the highest respect for.

Thanks, again, to everyone.

--------------------
 -
The Gods that smiled when you were born are Laughing now - My Favorite Fortune Cookie Saying

Dennis Woodyard
IE # 81
Member # 2314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Woodyard   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Woodyard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here one navigation thing that needs immediate fixing. When your in the boards and click on the AN logo at the top left of the page you are not sent back to the new home start page. I think that should be the case. Right?

Also, I'm have mixed reaction to all animation menus. That could get tedious after a while. Can there be an option to turn off the animating action?

Over all it's looking good.

--------------------
 -
The Gods that smiled when you were born are Laughing now - My Favorite Fortune Cookie Saying

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012