AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » very first AnimationNation Night 2009 - February 24

Author Topic: very first AnimationNation Night 2009 - February 24
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Which night is it?

Well, we could have AnimationNation Night on February 24, 2009.

Or March 31, 2009 and call it Animation Day Night '09, or maybe Animation Day Eve.

Or April 28, 2009.

Or May 26, June 30, July 28, August 25, September 29, October 27, November 24, even December 22 or 29 if we want to!

We could have AnimationNation Night on any one or every one of those dates!

Yep, that's right boys and girls! We can have AnimationNation Night in the heart of Burbank, California, on the last Tuesday of every single month from now until heaven knows when!

If you're interested, let me know. If not, I'll use the hall for something else, but it sure would be fun to do this on a regular basis. Instead of meeting once a year, we can meet 12 times more often!

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
What's emerged that's allowed this to happen is the hall that I utilize for classes on Tuesday evenings wasn't available on the last Tuesday of the month. The Burbank Realtors Association made use of the hall for their own purposes on that night.

I recently discovered that's no longer the case. And since I have the Tuesday night contract for the hall, I was offered to extend it through the entire month and secure the hall on all Tuesdays in each month for the entire year, so I took the deal.

I normally schedule classes for each semester with Tuesday night off at the end of each month. Since I've got this pattern in place already, and it's been in place since I moved there 4 years ago, why not use this extra night for the purpose of getting the AN community together for whatever we may have in mind.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

By dedicating the last Tuesday of each month to a regular get together of some kind, many possibilities are available. The facility is set up for screenings, we can have parties, industry meetings, whatever it may be or whatever we want... It's a landmark facility since many animation oriented events have occured there over the years, now we have it excusively for AN!

I've been reminded about a potential conflict with the Guild's monthly meetings which occur on the same night each month, the last Tuesday. With all due respect guys, I'm not gonna let that stop me from doing something with this for AnimationNation.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Why not make it available to the Guild? I think it would be great to have a Guild meeting on an AN night as our guest. We could have Guild meeting mixers every now and then and the Guilders can socialize with future Guilders and Indies and whoever. It'll be fun and a good thing for everyone.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the best part, friends.

We're going to have the first AnimationNation Night on the evening of February 24, 2009. I didn't plan this out. Just 48 hours ago I had no idea about the last Tuesday of the month with the hall or what the date of the last Tuesday for next month is. It just happened.

The following day, February 25, 2009... is the 10th anniversary of the launching of AnimationNation.com.

Destiny.

--------------------
 -

Law
IE # 112
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Law   Author's Homepage   Email Law         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait!

--------------------
www.lawrencejackson.com

Im2dGuy
IE # 25
Member # 1160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Im2dGuy   Author's Homepage   Email Im2dGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great Charles!
I hope that it is used in the best way possible.
[cheers]

--------------------
www.animationbrad.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Glad you like the idea guys. One of the positive aspects about this is that we have time to let it evolve and see what it becomes. Instead of one meeting in a year where it's whatever it happens to be, we can approach it in a patient, relaxed manner and develop a model that would be appropriate for us. And if someone can't make it one night, there's always the following month where they can catch up.

No pressure, have fun, meet people, network, exchange ideas, have a few laughs, spend some time creating, whatever. It'll be healthy for the community and help encourage good things.

--------------------
 -

Law
IE # 112
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Law   Author's Homepage   Email Law         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there's been talk about showing off projects that we've been working on throughout the year. Will there be a way for us to do that?

-L

--------------------
www.lawrencejackson.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

A reminder that we're still on for the first AnimationNation Night.

It'll be Tuesday evening February 24 barring any unforseen events or circumstances, at 2006 W. Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank 91506. Doors will open at 7 pm and we'll go from there.

This particular night will be in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the launching of AN. We got started on February 25, 1999 so we'll be able to get together on the eve of AN's 10th birthday.

I don't know what we're going to do other than perhaps have a birthday cake and socialize. The agenda for the first AN Night will be what we can develop from this for subsequent nights. It's a fresh canvas that we can work. From the annual get togethers we've had over the years I've seen how valuable meeting each other can be. To do this on a regular basis will make a difference. How much of a difference we'll find out.

If you're on the forums and in the LA area you're more than welcome to join us.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I've got some ideas as to how we can form up this monthly event. You're welcome to attend and we can share thoughts.

At the first AN Night on Feb 24 let's chip in a couple of bucks and get some pizzas. We can celebrate the eve of AN's 10th Anniversary and get to talking about what we can do with the Burbank Realtors Hall on the last Tuesday of each month.

The new AN will be launched by then and we can discuss the new format and ideas for utilizing it for the good of the animation community.

2006 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank 91506

Doors open at 7 pm.

--------------------
 -

Plai
IE # 298
Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plai   Author's Homepage   Email Plai         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it would be really cool, but to bad i'm not in l.a, as soon as i get back i'll be sure to attend one [Smile]

--------------------
Plai.tv

nettajean
IE # 98
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nettajean   Email nettajean         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you have a great turn out. I'd love to come hang out but the commute would be a killer.

--------------------
Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed
--Mel Brooks

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
If I can lose the last 15 lbs by then I should attend as it's only over the hill from where I live.

No pictures though.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
lol

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

If you guys can make it that would indeed be great. No photos if you don't want your photo taken. It's not about that anyway, but rest assured your privacy will be respected.

I've got an idea and maybe we can start talking about it early. I keep thinking about turning the AN Nights into a monthly market of some kind. If you've got something to sell or showcase to others, if you're looking for emerging talent to attach to a project you're developing, that sort of thing. People bring their portfolios and business cards, books or whatever they're looking to promote or initiate on a grass roots level in the community, and we kind of go from there.

--------------------
 -

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Charles I was going to ask you just about that! I need to do some stabilizing in my life after a long illness handling. Now that I have there's the battle with the economy. I've got projects going but ain't about to put all my eggs in one basket nor ten baskets.

I need to study more and hire people and do work myself. I think a venue where people network and share ideas is a great service to the industries and communities as well.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

You'll always be among friends with us, man. Don't worry about the superficial stuff. You're a welcome guest anytime.

I can tell ya with confidence that there's going to be a good contingent from the Academy and probably from Cal State Northridge as well, on a regular basis I'd say. These are emerging talents who'll be open to getting involved with projects. Warning ya beforehand, most of them are my students and I don't bring up fools. Don't expect to get something for nothing guys cuz they won't go for it. Make a deal they can get enthusiastic about and they'll be excited to get behind what you're doing.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The first AnimationNation Night is scheduled for 2 weeks from this evening on February 24 at 2006 W. Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank 91506. Upstairs hall at the Burbank Association of Realtors.

I've been talking about it with a few people and the consensus I'm getting from folks is very positive for making this a monthly marketing/networking event. We'll be exploring the possibilities.

Everyone's welcome. We'll likely be ordering pizzas so bring an appetite and a couple of bucks to chip in for the food if you'd like to eat.

I have a good feeling about this and am hopeful that it'll turn into something beneficial for artists and others looking to collaborate or just wanting to meet new people and have a good time.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Reminder for next week on Tuesday night February 24 at 2006 W. Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank 91506. Burbank Association of Realtors Hall. Doors open at 7pm, we'll probably get started around 7:30 or 7:45. We can go on until whenever.

The agenda for AnimationNation Night is to order a couple of pizzas, celebrate in our own way 10 years of AN, and to have a relaxed, informal discussion about how we can best utilize the hall for the community on a monthly basis.

My feeling, the more I think about it, is that we look for ways of making this a monthly artists market of some kind.

We can expand on this concept and of course consider people's suggestions along these lines. I'd like to throw out some ideas that night and see how folks feel about them. If you've never seen the hall, you're welcome to check it out. It's a very nice place, plenty of space, plenty of parking in the lot and in another nearby, plus street parking is no problem.

It's not about how many people show up, it's about having some fun, enjoying each other's company, exploring possibilities and seeing what can be accomplished in the process.

This could be the beginning of a very good thing, and you're welcome to be a part of it on the first AN Night.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The Animation Guild's meeting, if it's on the last Tuesday of the month, will be going on at the same time as AnimationNation Night.

You're more than welcome... repeating this to be sure the message gets across... more than welcome friends, to stop by after your meeting's over and join us.

We'll be at 2006 W. Magnolia Blvd. at the Burbank Association of Realtors Hall. We'll be there until late, there isn't a set time when we have to vacate. When your meeting wraps up and if you'd like to visit, come on down. Our house is your house.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

A reminder ladies and gents that this coming Tuesday evening at 2006 W. Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank we'll be initiating the first of many AnimationNation Nights to follow.

Feb 24 '09

Doors open at 7pm, will go on until ?

We'll be ordering pizzas so bring a couple bucks to help out.

This will be the evening before AN's 10th anniversary on the following day. You're welcome to join us.

Also on the agenda, we'll be discussing how best to utilize the hall on this ongoing monthly basis, and we'll also be discussing AN's new homepage and what it can offer the community for the future.

Animation Guild members are welcome to join us after the Guild's meeting.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Looks like everyone currently involved with the administrative operation of AN will be there with the exception of Brian Reynolds who's no longer in the LA area.

Tom, Snakebite, Adrian and myself will be in attendance for the first AN Night.

We're re-confirmed with the Burbank Association of Realtors for the use of their hall on the last Tuesday of each month starting tomorrow evening.

It's a green light and we're set to go!

Hope you can make it, looking forward to seeing everyone.

February 24, 2009

2006 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91506

Doors open at 7pm.

It's about a mile straight north of the Disney Studio lot. Keystone and Magnolia, one block north of John Burroughs High School.

PS. This is casual and relaxed, no video cameras, no photos unless you agree to it, we respect the privacy of our members and all the people who will be in attendance.

Let's have a good time and explore what we can do with future AN Nights as well as AN's new homepage.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to sitting down with people and going over the future of the homepage. we'll be able to bounce ideas off each other and begin the participation process...A big factor in that is getting to know the people. not just faceless names on a message board. its about people after all, not just domain names and threads posted.

I'm gonna do my best to attend as many meetings as I can. as long as I'm in town.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Tonight's the night for the very first AN Night. Excited about it, looking forward to it, and to how it will develop.

See above posts for details and other info.

Drive safely everyone. See ya there.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012