AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » The Animation Guild Holiday Party 2008 - Photos

Author Topic: The Animation Guild Holiday Party 2008 - Photos
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pleasure to share pictures from the Guild's annual Christmas party. This season was no exception as far as the good times go.

I'll be back momentarily with the first of the photos.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
As I usually do with the presentation, I'll begin with the beginning of my experience.

Here's the first folks I ran into after I entered the banquet room at the Pickwick. To the left is Jocelyn, in the center is Annie, to the right is Charles. They're very talented animation students at Cal State Northridge. I had the privilege of being their instructor. Charles has also been a student at my school, The Animation Academy.

-

Patrick Morgan, a great character designer, currently doing some video game design development for Pixar.

-

Another great character design, Gordon Hammond from Nickelodeon.

-

Steve Silver having a good time.

-

Steve and Patrick Morgan in the spirit of things.

-

Three of the industry's outstanding character design talents in one photo. Gordon Hammond, Steve Silver and Patrick Morgan

-

This is AN's Doodles. I had a better shot of him but it was blurred, so I'm using this one, Doodles. Hope it's cool with you.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Here's the man himself, Bob Harper, our very own toonedbob, in good company.

-

Industry exec Frank Gladstone.

-

On the left is Craig Zukowski, my art director on a few shows when we worked together at DIC. On the right, that's Mike Deiderich of Cartoon Network, a legendary storyboard artist.

-

Another storyboard great, Brad Rader from Starz Media (Film Roman) and the King of the Hill show.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Industry artist and long time pal Mike Camarillo with his friend Denise.

-

This is Douglas McCarthy, another great storyboard artist and animation director.

-

Mark Farquhar is a professor and heads up the animation program at Cal State Northridge. He's an animator and has worked on a long list of features including Toy Story 2, Mars Attacks, Iron Giant, Shark Tale, Open Season, Osmosis Jones and many other films.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Ladies and gents, this is Antran Manoogian, the long time, long standing President of ASIFA-Hollywood and one of the finest people you'd ever meet in the industry.

-

What makes a fine person finer? The company of a fine beauty and a dear lady. This is Bronnie Barry on the left of Antran. She's the Godmother of AN and long time animation union stalwart.

-

When you check out the Guild's blog a little later and see the pictures of the party there, this is the fellow who took them. Steve Hulett is the Business Representative of the Guild.

-

The meeting of two animation powerhouses, Antran Manoogian of ASIFA-Hollywood and Steve Hulett of the Animation Guild.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Ever see the series "Dog Fight" on the History Channel? It features re-enactments of aerial combat from different battles going back to the beginning of fighter plane combat. This is the man who produced the series, Brooks Wachtel.

-

She made my evening. It was worth coming to the Guild's party just for her. This is Teri Shikasho, a very dear friend whom I haven't seen in years. Teri was a background color key artist the last time we worked together. She's timeless, even more beautiful then when I last saw her.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

To the left is Randal Eagles, a great guy and a long time friend. He's a background designer at Nickelodeon. To the right is Thomas Starnes, formerly of DreamWorks, currently a background layout artist with Film Roman.

-

Animator Kristen Sych with his beatiful wife Shavon.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Someone else whose path I crossed and whom I haven't seen in eons, this is Mark Zoeller, a fellow crew member going way back to the days when DIC staffed local artists.

-

Here he is at the moment we run into each other, my good friend and colleague Chance Raspberry of The Simpsons.

-

Chance a moment later, enjoying the party.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The photos are loading a little slow on my end, so I'll take a little break and see if the situation resolves itself. There's more pictures on the way.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Picking it up again, here's my good friend Robert Gold, aka Animagus on AN.

-

This is Dale Hendrickson, character designer, animator, director, and his wife Pam. My friendship with Dale goes back all the way to the days of the He-Man series at Filmation.

-

This is Paul Burrows, better known as Paburrows on the AN forums. Paul's the kind of man that will make you a better person just for knowing him.

-

Another personality from the forums, here's Dave Carol with his wife and son. Dave is known as LeftyMcKay on AN. He's a long time veteran of DreamWorks and another reason why our industry is great.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Mr. and Mrs. Gary Montalbano. This year has been a memorable one for them as they celebrate the birth of their baby boy. Gary is a long time friend, he's working at Warner Bros on the Green Lantern series and other projects upcoming.

-

Jonathan Gebhart, formerly of The Animation Academy, formerly of The Simpsons, currently on Family Guy.

-

That's Ryan Khatam on the left in the company of Chance Raspberry.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Second from the right is James Dylan Crowley, JDC on the forums, character designer, master Flash animator, just off of Starz Media Film Roman's "Cranberry Christmas" which aired on ABC Family Channel this week. Next to him on his right is animation artist Phil Hernandez. To the left of JDC is his lady and next to her is Stephanie, an upcoming talent.

-

Bill Turner, the recipient of this year's June Foray Award at the upcoming 36th Annies for significant and benevolent or charitable impact on the art and industry of animation. Bill's been a long time ASIFA-Hollywood volunteer and administrator. I met Bill when he was working in production at DIC, then he went on to Disney. Congratulations Bill! It's an award you truly deserve.

-

My timing last night was spot on. As I was taking Bill's photo, who should walk by but Antran Manoogian, ASIFA-Hollywood's President. Couldn't let the opportunity pass without him and Bill Turner in the same shot.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

It wouldn't be a complete pictorial representation of the Guild's party without the traditional panoramic view of the main room. Here's the crowd, with more people beyond in the adjoining room in the distance through the doorway in the back.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Here's the music, playing Frosty the Snowman at this point. They did a pretty good job, except their breaks were way too long. For next year, why not get the Martini Kings back.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Remember the video game that Don Bluth produced in the 1980s called "Space Ace"? This animated fellow is Jeff Etter, the voice of Space Ace himself. He's also a talented animator. He's in the company of Mark Farquhar.

-

Here's Jeff going through his routine as he acts out the Space Ace character.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
 -

toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 14 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
Great seeing you as always Charles - it was fantastic event as always. Thanks to the Animation Guild - good food, good spirits, and good friends!
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The man of the hour, Kevin Koch, President of the Animation Guild Local 839, working the front table and having a good time.

-

This is Animation Guild member Ken Roskos. He heads up the Guild's Computer Lab, a training facility in CGI for the industry.

-

Here's Peter Gullerud, a talented animation artist and a fine artist as well.

-

I saw him earlier in the evening, and was making it a point of not leaving until I had a chance to get a photo of Jerry Beck from CartoonBrew, an accomplished and highly respected and regarded animation author, historian and producer, and I'm sure you all know that without me saying it. Cheers, Jerry.

-

After Jerry's photo, I set out to start processing the pictures when I realized that I'd forgoten something at the party. I went back to try and find it and find it I did, thanks to Animagus. That's when Gary Clair showed up. It was fated that I return to get this shot and include it with the rest of the photos.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the show from this year's party! Great to see old friends again, meet new ones, and for our friends here on AN from near and far who weren't able to make it, wish ya coulda been there with us, but we know you were in spirit.

Thanks once more to the Guild for their hospitality and for another great party, very much appreciated as always guys.

Happy Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season to all!

--------------------
 -

Dennis Woodyard
IE # 81
Member # 2314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Woodyard   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Woodyard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great pictures, Charles. I do miss going to the Animation Guild party and seeing old friends. I especially like the picture of Teri S. We became great friends while working at Disney TV Animation. She's one of my favorite people, in the world. I'm grabbing that picture for my files.

Thanks, again.

--------------------
 -
The Gods that smiled when you were born are Laughing now - My Favorite Fortune Cookie Saying

Kevin
IE # 44
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures, Charles! Thanks so much for posting them, and thanks for coming and spreading the good cheer. There was a lot of good vibes in the room, and I had a great time being around so man friends and peers.
Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Pics....I like seeing people having great time...
tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for showing the photos again this year.

It is always good to see the faces behind the names!

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

You're welcome guys. Happy to do it.

I was planning on not attending this year, but a phone call from a friend prompted me to do so. I explained the story, and it was just a story of what prompted me to go, but people are getting wigged out about it, so I deleted the post so as not to make a bigger deal out of it than is warranted. It's all quite silly so let the children play.

If you haven't been to a Guild Christmas (oops) Holiday Party, you're really missing out a great event. Even if you've got something going on against someone else, it's the perfect place to kiss and make up. Have a few drinks and enjoy the company of remarkable people.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012