my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Destino - Dali & Disney

Author Topic: Destino - Dali & Disney
EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else hear about the Salvador Dali designed animated short "Destino" playing in front of "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" ?

Is this actually the case ? I'd hate to buy a ticket to "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" just to see "Destino" and find that it's not actually playing . (no way I want to sit through "Beverly Hills Chihuahua".
I'll watch Destino and then I'm out of there)

What an odd film to dump "Destino" on . I saw Destino screened at the studio when I used to work at Disney , but I'd like to see it again .

http://botw.org/buzz/entertainment/beverly-hills-chihuahua/

quote:
"Another interesting fact about Beverly Hills Chihuahua is that all prints of the movie will feature the short film Destino, which was created in 2003, appended to the beginning. The short film is unique because its production actually began 58 years prior to its release. Artist Salvador Dali storyboarded the film along with Disney studio artist John Hench, but the project went dormant because of financial concerns. In 1999, the project was unearthed, and work began again on Destino the following year. It is a fascinating bit of history both because of its connection to acclaimed artist Salvador Dali and the fact that it was only released so many years after work began on it, something which does not happen often in the film industry. Beverly Hills Chihuahua may not be an attractive prospect for adults that pride themselves on their film tastes, but the short film Destino is certainly something that should be interesting to see."

IP: Logged
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
wow i forgot that this short even existed. i remember seeing a trailer for it some time ago. i just read a post over at imdb that it was playing in front of BHC. i also just read that it was slated to appear on a "disney treasures" box set that was supposed to hit shelves this november, but apparently it's been canceled?

i think i found it in its entirety on youtube, but the video quality was so poor i chose not to watch it.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i think i found it in its entirety on youtube, but the video quality was so poor i chose not to watch it.

I think that was a wise choice. It's really quite beautiful as I recall it and would be worth seeing on a big screen.

Sorry to hear that it won't be on one of the new Disney Treasures DVD's .

I guess I'm buying a ticket for BHC ...

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
It played with the Triplets De Belleville years ago. That was a more fitting pairing.
Ah well. Perhaps Disney wanted to inspire live action goers to watch it's animated productions?

I dunno.

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

GaryClair
Member # 3164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaryClair   Email GaryClair         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6WCpoWdpCw

Needs 'fin' at the end.

PHIL
IE # 137
Member # 1808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PHIL   Email PHIL         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really magnificent piece of animation that brings together the work of Disney and Dali that has sat collecting dust in the Disney vaults these past few decades. About 5 years ago Roy Disney, when he was still on the Disney board, brought it over to Annecy. It was a personal project of his that I'm glad saw the light of day.
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen "Destino," and it really is a wonderful piece of film making. Thanks to Roy Disney for making this happen.

We screened the film on the Disney Wonder while cruising the Caribbean a few months ago. Really nice watching good stuff while sailing the high seas.

Feathers McGraw
Member # 3533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Feathers McGraw   Email Feathers McGraw         Edit/Delete Post 
Destino has had quite a bit of exposure recently. It screened regularly at Tate Modern's Dali exhibition last year in London & I caught it in Paris at the art of Disney expo 'Il etait une fois'.
It's a shame that touted dvd release sank without trace when Roy Disney left the studio. I'd love to see it released with other 'unseen' shorts such as 'John Henry' and 'Lorenzo'. Along with Hendel Butoy's African short & 'The Little Matchstick Girl' Disney have enough material for another Fantasia!

--------------------
http://mattjonezanimation.blogspot.com

Feathers McGraw
Member # 3533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Feathers McGraw   Email Feathers McGraw         Edit/Delete Post 
Destino has had quite a bit of exposure recently. It screened regularly at Tate Modern's Dali exhibition last year in London & I caught it in Paris at the art of Disney expo 'Il etait une fois'.
It's a shame that touted dvd release sank without trace when Roy Disney left the studio. I'd love to see it released with other 'unseen' shorts such as 'John Henry' and 'Lorenzo'. Along with Hendel Butoy's African short & 'The Little Matchstick Girl' Disney have enough material for another Fantasia!

--------------------
http://mattjonezanimation.blogspot.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012