my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Lessons learned

Author Topic: Lessons learned
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been going through old stuff and getting rid of alot of it. Things accumulated over the years, things dealing with business, junk that I wonder why I ever held onto in the first place.

Coursing through all this, I've discovered a couple of things that I'd like to post here for public record. Also to share some lessons learned about life in the business of animation.

One of the big positives of the site for me has been the exposure I've gotten to many people who've been active in the community. If not for AN I may not have been aware of them even to this day.

I've tried to be as supportive as possible in the endeavors of these good folks, and therein lies the root of some disapointment I've experienced. I know I've mentioned this in passing before. After digging up a couple of items, I've rediscovered and been reminded of it, but that's okay. At least people out there will know what I'm talking about as I can share my frame of reference.

In 2001, I was solicited by Amid Amidi to advertise in his Animation Blast Magazine, so I did. Here's the ad I purchased for my school in Animation Blast #7.

-

This is the ad I purchased in 2002 for Animation Blast #8.

-

I'm pretty sure from what I recall that each ad cost around $250. I spent $500 figuring it was the best thing I could do to help in Amid's endeavor and to keep his magazine going. I would've continued had he not made the decision to discontinue publishing it.

So AnimationBlast became CartoonBrew and we've been snubbed ever since. Both the Academy and AN.

Here's another one. In 2000, the premium annual membership fee for ASIFA-Hollywood was $75 I think. I'm not exactly sure on that but it I know it wasn't $100 which was what I was sending in to renew, which I did on December 17 of that year.

Right after that I received a form letter in the mail from ASIFA stating that they were having a particularly hard time financially and were asking members to help out in any way they could with an extra donation. So nine days later on December 26 I sent them a check for $1001. Don't know why I wrote it for an extra dollar, probably to get an extra smile from the folks there.

The checks are below.

-

Go to ASIFA-Hollywood's website today which is the Animation Archive and you'll find no link to either my school or these forums, AN being a consequence of the school. There was a link to AN before on ASIFA's site but it's since disappeared now that the Archive is featured.

The positive is that good karma wins out in the end, at least I try and maintain that belief. It's difficult to keep faith in some aspects of the animation biz where the attitudes are thick like jungle overgrowth. The good news is that there's a world out there that operates free of this, where what AN has represented and strived to achieve has been embraced in ways that can't be described quite yet.

As the corner is turned towards the 10th anniversary of the site, especially now that we're progressing with its update, it's good to look back and put it all in balance and perspective. There's more important things in life than not having friends link to you or show gratitude.

So what's the lesson learned? In the words of my friend, bg designer Ricardo Abrines, a speaker at AN#1 by the way, don't expect anything from people and you won't be disappointed. When a friend does come through, all the more reason to rejoice.

That said, I rejoice in the many friendships I've made here on AN and in the life I've had in animation. Thanks everyone, you've been great. Appreciate it more than I can explain. Thank you.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 14 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Charles,

That was a thought provoking post. I've recently landed on tough times, layoff, options and deals going south, family matters - you name it.

I also learned a similar lesson, from my own perspective. I've been let down by my expectations of others. I've realized that I can only count on myself 100% of the time, but I have found that there are those who were by my side the whole time, even when I didn't know it.

I'm reloading my guns to chart a new path in my career, and life, which I am actually excited about and hopefully soon, things will pay off.

Just wanted to let you know, I feel you and that there are more that are for you than against you.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen Bob,

theres lots of people who believe in Charles and what he is trying to do here with AN. I know I do and I'm not on anyones pay roll...yet.lol

Its hard to see the light when you're so far into it. My journey has been tough. I'm a big personality and people have used that as an excuse not to follow through with what they say. I do my part but since they are threatened by me on a personal level they feel they can just not honor our relationship. and when you work on an independent level things become way more personal and fragile.

I have always felt like Charles has catered to the wrong people on AN. But thats because he built this site for the people and he's a good man.

Charles is very progressive in his thought about the industry and theres a lot of people who bank on how the industry is currently designed...but that is changing.

lol, this is the real definition of "monkey boy". its not about executives and its not about artists its about people who refuse to evolve. and thats a lot of what I think Charles deals with. People who don't evolve. I can imagine not evolving can lead to a lot of self hate. People who look at themselves nekked in the mirror not liking what they see so when they see guys like Charles that actually respect themselves too much to take the abuse, they get threatened.

well, I'm going off too much about the situation. I've been here on this site for a long time. I practice what I preach and I have read a lot of what has been said here on AN. I feel like theres a lot of pussies in the industry who would go out of their way to smear a good name or try to assassinate ones character and or rep in the industry for their own power trip to hide their pussiness. I'm not talking about anyone in particular but if you feel insulted than chances are I'm talking about you.

I see a lot of people who are motivated by this site and I think the reason we don't read their posts here is because they are too busy doing their thing. One day this site will accommodate those people like it always wanted to and the dynamic of the board will evolve.

you're not alone Charles.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Hey there toonedbob. When times get tough that's when you find out who your friends are, tough times don't last but true friendships do.

I posted the above to prove my point regarding some of what I've encountered from pockets of the community. It's a reminder to me that I didn't imagine it, and also to share with folks who may not have believed me to begin with.

That's only part of the story. There's artists out there who've been enrolled my school, some of them for years, and they don't have the common courtesy not just to post a link on their blog, but admit they were there in the first place. One person studied with me for 5 months, taking character design for 2 semesters so they could develop a portfolio for Cal Arts. I provided a letter of recommendation when asked for one as well.

After graduation, they're interviewed at the character design blog and make no mention of my school at all when asked about education in their career. That's not an isolated incident, there's been quite a few artists interviewed who for whatever reason don't mention the Academy even though it was instrumental in forwarding their careers, spinning their history to push self education or name dropping one of the big schools instead. Some strange science I tell ya.

I'm making my way through a book entitled "A New Earth - Awakening to Your Life's Purpose". A gift from a friend, it's primarily a study of the ego. Since all change begins with the individual, conquering the ego is essential in personal growth according to the author, Eckhart Tolle.

Very interesting material in that it helps one identify all the ways that egoic elements within us work. Identifying it within ourselves and also in the behavior of others. Without sin I am not, as I see it in myself from what I've learned so far, and as such, I'm being more conscuious about it in my daily life.

The book has helped me a great deal in understanding how the minds of animation people work, since the ego is an instrinsic aspect of what we do and has come to define not just who we are but more importantly how and why we behave the way we do. And it all stems from insecurity. The ego is a defense mechanism in artists, and in all people of course, but it has a special significance here, as it explains why some would indignantly walk out after perceiving they've been insulted somehow. Jealous behavior is also a manifestation of egoic control. When the ego runs things it tends to keep the individual weak.

Then there's the collective ego, which is group oriented and is alive and well in animation as anyone who's worked in the biz for any length of time can attest to I'm sure. Same symptoms as the individual only multiplied.

Funny thing about chronic egoicly controlled individuals, even when someone does a nice thing or tries to make amends in some way, it's never enough. They still need to play out the punishment, even if what happened is the egoic person's fault. The ego won't let you see or admit to one's own fault, as it means that in order to see the fault within ourselves, the ego must die.

It's a beautiful world. There's people out there who are cool and there's more of them than people who are addicted to negativity, hate, etc. Another lesson learned and confirmed thanks to good folks in the biz I've known and continue to meet.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Admitting one is wrong is hard thing to do. But I really enjoy it cuz it means I learned something new and have a chance to grow again.

its very powerful to be able to take your inventory of experiences and dump them, start anew. To forget your name and history and let go of preconceived notions of how things are.

All this is tough.

It sucks people won't admit their relationships with you, especially after you helped them in some way. I loved my time at the Academy and learned so much and always give it props as much as possible.

I guess when you get educated and you're not in debt it kinda feels like you didnt go to school at all.lol

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's very powerful to be able to take your inventory of experiences and dump them, start anew. To forget your name and history and let go of preconceived notions of how things are."

I once felt this way after farting in gym class while doing sit ups... Not the best way to be remembered by the cheerleader sitting next to you.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

deep

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Had a dream last night that I think relates to this topic. In the dream there were a few pretty good sized bees buzzing around and I was stung by them. I remember there was a sting to my chest and also to my drawing hand. I pulled out the stingers from my skin and was surprised at how deep the bees tried to inject the poison, they really dug in there.

The signifance of the dream was that I wasn't in pain or discomfort. I pulled the stingers out of my skin and had no pain or ill effect.

Later I looked at a dream interpretation site and found that bees represent business or industry, and to be stung by a bee in your dream signifies being wronged or dealing with harmful remarks. The meaning was clear, the stings had no affect, life goes on.

Another lesson learned.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

now thats how you do deep

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

In the dream, there wasn't a feeling of whether the bees were good or bad. It was what it was. Which opens a new dimension to its interpretation. If bees represent business and industrious endeavors, maybe the stings were a confirmation of that.

Whatever it was about, I took it as something positive, and judging by the way the karma gods are forming up and ever broadly smiling upon the good that has come from AN, it's a big world out there folks with a global audience. Some factions of the community may be chained to their insecurities and tunnel vision, in other corners on levels beyond what conventional thinking may limit itself to, the message of AN rings loud and clear and has a great appeal. The paradigm will shift if ya stick with the good fight.

Lessons learned every day that goes by.

--------------------
 -

q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
I dreamt my covers fell off and my toes were cold....
wonder if that means I'm having a career change, moving out of my comfort zone...
nah, the cover fell off and I pulled em back up!
[flirt]

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

If you dream of your toes, some people think this symbolizes details in your life. So if your toes are exposed, maybe it's a message that there's some things that you need to look into. Or maybe it means that you need to cover them up while you're sleeping.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

keeping my toes out of the covers helps me regulate my body temperature.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
interesting thoughts indeed Charles

I know psychology can be fascinating, especially when combined with politics . I never knew quite what they were talking about in University about the ego / superego / id conflict......but now that I'm older it seems to boil down to whether we listen to the little devil or the little angel on our shoulder ( I'm not religious...it's just a fitting visual )

Maybe some believe the way must lie in advancement through some sort of Machiavellian intrigue , but I think a lot of ancient Chinese philosophy rightly points out that things are quite complicated and intertwined ; rightousness is not always rewarded and death is the eventual certainty !

I certainly appreciate a forum to chat about animation now and then and congratulate you on your efforts . Animation , or any art really is a labour of love and I'm sure your conscience is clear !

I think your bee dream is a symbol of your zen state !

Thanks

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Two monks in the East were walking along a road that had become muddy from the rains. Along the way, they met a woman who was dressed in a silk kimono, and who couldn't cross the road for fear of spoiling her clothing. So one of the monks offered to carry her on his back and see her safely across the muddled path.

Five hours later, as the monks reached their destination, the perplexed companion asked the other, "Why did you carry that woman? You know that's not what monks are supposed to do."

His comrade replied, "If that is the case, then why do you carry her still?"

Lesson learned, lesson shared.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012