AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » How do you view your own work?

Author Topic: How do you view your own work?
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
The experience of authoring, producing and publishing my first book has been enlightening, especially in terms of guaging peole's reactions to it which have been overwhelmingly positive so far. It's also helped me come to terms with the way that I view my own work.

I tend to look at my art with a very critical eye. As such, what others incline to be excited and impressed with, at times I tend to see as something different. With satisfaction that is if the result is strong, but also with reserve. Which is probably why I'm pleasantly surprised at the outstanding reviews it's been getting. I was confident in the book, but I was also guarded as to how it would be received.

So how do you look at your own stuff? Are you one of those that mentally compromises your work even though it's great, or do you have a healthy regard for the fruit of your creative efforts?

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those critical artists, for I scream at the sight my work a few months after I create something. I think I need to improve in digital painting, BG's and watching out for size comp mistakes.

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

RMills
IE # 151
Member # 2986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RMills   Author's Homepage   Email RMills         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very critical of my work but more and more I'm finding that what I'm critical about is not the same thing others are critical about.
When I first got in this industry different jobs required different levels of polish. Storyboards were a guide that was used by departments down the line to build upon. Layout artists created the detailed BG design and staging. An animator had to have the general proportions but wasn't necessarily spot on model, clean-up took care of that.
However now I'm finding that every department is required to be spot on model, and have full BG designs. I find I'm spending more of my time being concerned over the details rather than getting the spontaneity in my work I used to have. I find that in many peoples work these days. So what I'm critical about has changed and I'm not sure it's for the better.
That's my 2 cents worth.

--------------------
www.rustymillsanimation.com

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Rusty, I think your brilliant timing is comparable to Freeling. I don't want you to lose that:(

Are you working on your own stuff at all to maintain that talent?

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

RMills
IE # 151
Member # 2986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RMills   Author's Homepage   Email RMills         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the complement. Yes, I am working on my own stuff. You can see some at my site www.rustymillsanimation.com
under current work.

--------------------

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
Rusty, I showed your "Gotcha Covered" work reel to a co-worker yesterday. He cracked up laughing, especially at the attached dog and the instant pond. [Big Grin]

quote:
From Charles

So how do you look at your own stuff? Are you one of those that mentally compromises your work even though it's great, or do you have a healthy regard for the fruit of your creative efforts?

I'm critical of my own drawings, to the point where it's sometimes hard to draw my comic.

--------------------
 -

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
hey rusty, what software are you using for "gotcha covered"? it looks like its coming along really nice!

myself, i think i have a tendency to simply let go of things as a deadline looms. i'm generally not happy with it at that time. however, when i look back on those times, i'm often surprised with the final result and feel content. its when i feel like i'm hitting the nail on the head in the moment that i look back on it and wince months later.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

RMills
IE # 151
Member # 2986

I have been using Mirage for the rough animation but the cleanup and color will be done with ToonBoom Digital Pro.

Jennifer, it's always nice to hear people enjoying my work.

--------------------

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
hehhehe

I try to forget I did it....and then ask myself if I saw it for sale would I be tempted to buy it.

Yeah...I had a lot of hindsight on my book too Charles....esp my own cover illustration.

I do feel good that I managed to get 16 good pages on basic drawing covered with good points about how to learn in there . I only regret that I didnt have more room to address personal design styles which are so often more inspired than careful realistic drawings .
closing in on 10,000 copies sold in just over a yr....maybe only 5,000 to go before I start making money lol .

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012