AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Here it is, my first book - Controlling Illusion

Author Topic: Here it is, my first book - Controlling Illusion
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there friends. Happy, excited and proud to publicly debut for the very first time my very first book.

It's called "Controlling Illusion" and here's what the cover looks like.

-

Controlling Illusion is a compilation of drawings, sketches and paintings I've come up with while teaching, almost all within a classroom environment, including the lessons I endeavoured to communicate. It's an educational anthology in art through an animation design and development venue.

The trip from beginning to end took more than 22 years, from my first class demonstration in December, 1985 to the most recent in the book, December 2007.

Controlling Illusion is a specialty art education book published by The Animation Academy and can only be acquired online through the link below, by which you'll find purchase information, sample pages, and incoming peer reviews.

http://ControllingIllusion.com

The book is 136 pages long, full color and hard cover. It's printed on 100 lb paper and is 8 1/2 x 11 inches, about 21.5 x 28 cm and is printed in the United States.

It's going for $49.95 in the US, including shipping & handling.

If you're ordering internationally, the charge will be $59.95 US.

If you'd like a signed book they're going for an extra $10, making it $59.95 in the USA, and $69.95 for international friends.

I'm signing 250 numbered copies. If the demand for signed copies is solid, I'll take it up to 500. After that, the signed books will not be offered anymore and the corresponding payment tabs will be removed from the purchase page.

Right now I'm at 50 / 250.

First shipment for online orders will go out this coming Monday, September 8, 2008. Numbered books will be shipped on a first come first serve basis. Be sure to leave the correct spelling of your name when you order a signed copy as I'm keeping an author's log as to who owns which number, plus I'll be signing it to you and I'd like to get your name right.

Thanks for sharing this special moment. I'll be back with follow up info and to answer any questions you might have.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojodesign   Author's Homepage   Email mojodesign         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, sir! It looks like a great one! I love the art you chose for the cover. VERY nice! I wish you much success.

-Jose S.

--------------------
 -

KevinO
IE # 36
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinO   Email KevinO         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Charles. Very well done indeed.
Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the sample pages and just ordered my copy.

Looking forwards to the book!

[cheers]

--------------------
 -

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I love those sample pages. Looks great Charles. [cheers]

--------------------
 -

Law
IE # 112
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Law   Author's Homepage   Email Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Order placed!
Must have [Smile]

--------------------
www.lawrencejackson.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The book is meaty. lots of great information and insight!...not to mention amazing concepts!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Im2dGuy
IE # 25
Member # 1160

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Im2dGuy   Author's Homepage   Email Im2dGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Charles!!!
Many Congrats to you!!

--------------------
www.animationbrad.com

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardcover? Cool.

Congrats. I'll be sure to buy one as soon as I have an income-

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Mojodesign, KevinO, Jennifer, Michel, Law, Snakebite, 2dGuy, Jeff, thanks everyone. I appreciate very much your comments.

Had a few online orders today, the majority of them for signed copies, plus the book's website got great traffic.

A reminder to the folks that've placed an order, I'll be shipping yours out to you this coming Monday. If you're local they'll be delivered to you in a day or two after that.

A little backgrond on the cover art, it was done in March, 1998, just after the Academy moved from the back room of the Coral Cafe to our first office location on Burbank Boulevard. The rendering was done on a xerox copy of a sketch I created in class. The rendering was done with markers with a touch of color pencil. The night sky was painted in acrylics.

Thanks again for your positive words, you helped make this a memorable day.

--------------------
 -

q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great! Congrats Charles, I just placed my order.

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

raymundio
IE # 35
Member # 466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raymundio           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Charles.
I just placed my order

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Okay guys, the first fulfillment of online orders went out this afternoon. All orders have been sent US Postal Service, Priority Mail, so you should receive your book as soon as tomorrow if you're in the LA area, a day or two after that for orders farther out.

You're welcome to send in a review as I'm posting them on the review page of the book's site, along with a link to your own Internet presence be it your blog, Web site, MySpace page, whatever you prefer. Please include your link along with your review, and if you're an industry professional, please include your title as well.

Send your reviews to info [{at}] theAnimationAcademy.com

Thanks for your orders, hope you enjoy the book folks. Next shipment out will be later in the week, Wednesday or Thursday. We'll be shipping twice a week for the time being.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

On second thought, feel free to post your comments and reviews here after you've received your copy if you have an AN account. I can post them over to the review page. Here's what it looks like so far:

http://ControllingIllusionReviews.blogspot.com

--------------------
 -

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
I received my copy of Controlling Illusion at work today. The book looks GORGEOUS. I can't wait to read it.

[cheers]

--------------------
 -

Law
IE # 112
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Law   Author's Homepage   Email Law         Edit/Delete Post 
YES!!!!!!!!!
I got my copy at work today!

I could see the glint of inspiration in the artists eyes as the book made its way around. The finished product is a marvel of literary and artistic talent.

I'm so happy for you, Charles!
Thanks for putting this together. Controlling Illusion is awesome! It has exceeded my expectations.

-L

--------------------
www.lawrencejackson.com

pud
IE # 30
Member # 245

Icon 14 posted      Profile for pud   Author's Homepage   Email pud         Edit/Delete Post 
signed,sealed, delivered. you know.....
today in fact. :-)
thanks so much C for the info you put in this project.
To have this along side while i explain things to my kids
as they draw... a great source.

--------------------
" Your Scenes are there forever." - Ollie Johnston
http://markpudleiner.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

And best of all, it's printed in the United States of America!

Thanks very much Jennifer, Law and pud for purchasing the book and for your great words.

If you'd like to buy Controlling Illusion but you don't have a Paypal account, or aren't comfortable with Internet transactions, you're welcome to send in a check or money order.

Mail it to and make it out to:

The Animation Academy
2740 W. Magnolia Blvd. 305
Burbank, CA 91505
USA

There'll be a little wait until the check clears and then your copy will be promptly forwarded.

We can also process your order by credit card over the phone. If you'd like to purchase the book with a Visa or Mastercard, but not over the Web, call 818-848-6590 during normal business hours Pacific time. If you get the Academy's voice mail, leave a message with your phone number and you'll be contacted to arrange for payment.

Controlling Illusion is sold exclusively through The Animation Academy in Burbank. You won't find it at Amazon or anyplace else online. It may be mass marketed later, but not for awhile yet. The Academy is the only place you'll find it for the time being.

Controlling Illusion will help make a good artist better and a better artist great. It was designed to creatively inspire as well as entertain.

If you'd like a copy but don't want to go through Paypal, let me know and I'll accommodate you.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Had my first multi-volume sale today. Sold three copies to one person.

--------------------
 -

Im2dGuy
IE # 25
Member # 1160

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Im2dGuy   Author's Homepage   Email Im2dGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
I received my copy yesterday
and thumbed through a great wave
of inspiration that made me want to paint and
draw and attend another class at the academy again. [Smile]

What really struck me was the written word.
The theory and philosophy on life,
inspiration and creativity and
how to overcome fears,
was really a great read.

Not every character design book also makes
for great reading. This one does,
and the written word inspires
as much as the drawings.

Thank you so much for creating this.
Can't wait until the next.
Best wishes and Keep Creating!!

--------------------
www.animationbrad.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

My book is doing really well so far. Sales have been steady and word of mouth is factoring into things. I learned through a friend that he was in a local comic book shop in his area and overheard someone ask for Controlling Illusion. That's a great compliment when customers start asking for it by name.

Also, I'm selling to a market that I hadn't expected to be reaching. I'm selling to people who aren't artists, but who appreciate art, and are buying it for its literary value as much as the pictures.

If you own a copy of CI, look at the bar code on the back of the book. There's the ISBN number, followed by a 54995 at the end. The 5 means the book is published in the USA and the 4995 represents the price at $49.95. That's the official price of the book. I'm actually offering a really good deal by including postage and handling for online orders in the official price of the book.

I can't guarantee it'll stay there, so if you're waiting for the price to be discounted, it's going to be a long wait. Right now, you can only purchase it online or while we're in session during the week at the Academy. It won't be discounted when it hits the stores, you'll actually be paying more with sales tax added to the barcode price.

Click on the banner link below or http://ControllingIllusion.com for info, sample pages and latest reviews.

Thanks everyone who's bought a copy so far, hope you're enjoying it and it's working out for you.

--------------------
 -

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
just placed an order now, charles. i'm looking forward to it [thumbsup]

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caracal   Author's Homepage   Email Caracal         Edit/Delete Post 
got mine today Charles. It's great. Thanks!
This will going over to show to Tripod Studios in Malaysia.

Cheers

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thanks Caracal, and to everyone who's purchased my book so far. Here's the latest review that came in, one that I've been waiting for. It's from the head of the animation department at Cal State Northridge. This review will be going into the University file at CSUN. I'd like to share it here.

CONTROLLING ILLUSION: The Class Demonstrations of Charles Zembillas
Author: Charles Zembillas
Publisher: The Animation Academy

Book Review by Mary Ann Trujillo, Associate Professor & Head of Animation
California State University Northridge, Sept. 21, 2008.

This book is a treasure, valid for all artists, as well as teachers of the creative arts. It was a total delight to read and I personally found it very inspiring. Charles Zembillas has successfully shared his magical teaching essence, which comes from his creative talent, endless encouragement for developing artists and his own deep appreciation of the creative process.

He reminds us of the really important things about being a creative human being, that are so easily side lined, in our instant consumerist culture. He reinforces how imagination, internal visualization, fundamental art skills, practice, contemplation, experimentation and productivity, all work together in the artist's process as a daily celebration to embrace.

Charles discusses the importance of the creative asset of internal visualization or seeing with the mind's eye. He states that all drawing is a miracle of illusion and through the control of illusion we can share our inner vision. He covers approaches such as: free form drawing, thematic sketching, blue line pencil basics, gray scale markers, color rendering, painting, undertones, overtones, tints and digital technology methods of color layering. He reveals that one of the most important lessons and yet the most resisted is: achieve simplicity first and understand its power, before following up with levels of complexity. And he stresses the importance of gaining skill with traditional methods and that these have a direct bearing on one's successful command of digital tools.

I had the opportunity to observe Charles Zembillas teaching at our University and I was impressed with his ability to motivate every single student to work toward improvement, no matter what their skill level. In his book, he makes us feel that it is possible for all to be a part of this special thing of creativity. That we can keep growing and striving toward producing our own unique vision and sharing it with the rest of humanity. Thank you Charles!

--------------------
 -

Shane Glines
IE # 87
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Glines   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Glines         Edit/Delete Post 
Placed my order, really looking forward to the book!
S.

--------------------
www.shaneglines.net
www.cartoonretro.com

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
I went through Charles book this weekend in detail. It was an incredibly inspirational piece of work. Great advice and beautiful artwork inside. I look forward to seeing your next book!

--------------------
-Tom

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012