AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » My book has arrived!

Author Topic: My book has arrived!
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
The shipment's just been delivered.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[guitar]

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

jupeykrusho
IE # 273
Member # 3227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for jupeykrusho   Author's Homepage   Email jupeykrusho         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats! [guitar]

are you happy with how they came out?
gonna have a book signing?
can't wait for pix!

-----------------------------------
http://www.jupeykrusho.com
http://www.jupeykrusho.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/jupeykrusho
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jupeykrusho

--------------------
http://www.jupeykrusho.com

LeftyMcKay
IE # 168
Member # 2558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeftyMcKay   Author's Homepage   Email LeftyMcKay         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to see it!
When's the signing??

--------------------
 -

toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
[cheers]

Way to go - long overdue...

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY! Now get out those Pantone swatches and check those colors!

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
This is great, a good feeling. Holding your very own book in your hands is a good feeling. Aside from the rush, the book itself has a good feel to it. Nice weight, good balance. Turned out better than I thought. The paper is high quality, vibrant colors, sturdy cover. Sold quite a few in class tonight from one sample copy to show. I presold at the Academy for personal delivery next week.

Wow! Well, now that production is behind me, this has indeed been a fantastic learning experience. If I can do one I can do more.

The responses this evening were very very positive. Everyone was jazzed.

I'll follow up with info about where to go from here as soon as I figure it out. A step at a time.

If you keep creating, you can eventually take it to market.

Thanks AN friends, for your upbeat comments.

--------------------
 -

Noogy
IE # 18
Member # 705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noogy   Email Noogy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm envious here [Smile] Looking forward to further details.

--------------------
-Dean Dodrill

-

Law
IE # 112
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Law   Author's Homepage   Email Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
You got anymore? [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.lawrencejackson.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigshot   Email bigshot         Edit/Delete Post 
If you'd like to do a signing at the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive, we'd be happy to host it.

See ya
Steve

GaryClair
Member # 3164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaryClair   Email GaryClair         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Charles! Can't wait to get one!!
Brian Reynolds
IE # 50
Member # 4

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brian Reynolds           Edit/Delete Post 
Outstanding! Been waiting a long time for this, -I'm in line to get one for certain!

--------------------
-Brian Reynolds

Dennis Woodyard
IE # 81
Member # 2314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Woodyard   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Woodyard         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulation, Charles. I'm looking forward to seeing your book. Thanks for showing how to "talk the talk", and "walk the walk". Wishing you much success with it.

--------------------
 -
The Gods that smiled when you were born are Laughing now - My Favorite Fortune Cookie Saying

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Bigshot, thanks. That would be an honor. Let me know what I need to do. Incidentally, I was driving east along Burbank Boulevard yesterday about 1:30pm and saw you talking with someone in a parking lot right about where the flashing light is at Wyoming Street, just up from Buena Vista.

Thanks Dennis. Brian, Gary and Law, I've got your copies set aside guys.

--------------------
 -

bigshot
Member # 1024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigshot   Email bigshot         Edit/Delete Post 
That was me having lunch with Steve Stanchfield of Thunderbean Animation. He was in town to work on a DVD series on the Van Beuren cartoons. He gave me an absolutely perfect copy of Sunshine Makers for the archive.

Just pick an evening (Tuesday through Friday) two or three weeks off, let me know the date that works for you, give me a couple of images and a press release, and I'll get the info out to the membership.

Thanks
Steve

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Well then I witnessed something historic taking place, Steve. The karmic gods of animation have bestowed upon me good fortune.

If you're a current or former student or instructor of The Animation Academy, the first batch of books go on sale tomorrow. I'll have copies available Tuesday evening August 19 in class.

--------------------
 -

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Mon Frer.

Good Show. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to see it. When will you start selling it?

--------------------
-Tom

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Started sales this afternoon, continuing tonight in class. This is the early face to face phase, will move into online sales soon.

--------------------
 -

KevinO
IE # 36
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinO   Email KevinO         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great Charles. Can't wait until it goes on sale online.
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thanks Kevin. Made a pretty good dent in the inventory today. Very good start.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

My book's been in release now for a day since yesterday the 19th when I started selling them at the Academy. If you're in possession of one and have completed reading it, I'd appreciate very much if you would consider providing a review. I'd like to post your comments on the Web page I've got set up for that purpose. Something brief would be fine. Email your review either through AN to my attention or through The Animation Academy, the later would be preferable. Thanks in advance guys.

--------------------
 -

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Caracal   Author's Homepage   Email Caracal         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulation Charles.

It's a great educational book full of great art!

I know your not thinking so much about booksellers now but if and when you do remember Stuart Ing's bookstore. I'm sure he would be very happy to carry your book and he gets some very high profile buyers. House of Secrets are great too as they pay you on delivery. I think they all ask a 50 percent discount.

Cheers

Stuart Ing Books
22910 Crenshaw Blvd.
Torrance, CA, 91506

HOS Well you know them already!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
This thumb's up is for you Caracal. Thanks for setting an inspirational model for me with your own book, Cinematics Storyboard Workshop. And thanks a thousand times over for the boost you gave the production of my book with the killer computer system I got from you last year. If not for you, I would still be dealing with the limitations of my old system and who knows what else. The quick completion of the book is directly attributable to you. I've got a copy set aside with your name on it.

The first of the reviews have started trickling in and they're about as good as I could've hoped for.

--------------------
 -

raymundio
IE # 35
Member # 466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raymundio           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and please reserve me two copies (One personal , one for my studio)
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Purchased some packaging materials today. I plan on being set up for shipping of initial online orders by next week. At the moment, I'm covering family, close friends, key associates and students. I'll have books available for purchase at the Academy next Tuesday when the new semester starts. Afterwards, I'll make them available to ANers and the general public through the forums and through the school's website and blog.

The book will not be sold through any other online outlet for the time being, very likely through the rest of the year. I'll follow up with details later once I get the first mailings taken care of.

If you have a copy and have read the book, please email a short review if you would be so kind. I'm relying on your comments to help sell it rather than my own words. Your reviews are important, so please send them along, either through AN's contact email (to my attention) or to the Academy's general email address (which is preferable). Thanks in advance, folks.

--------------------
 -

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you going to be selling through House of Secrets or Meltdown Comicbook stores?

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

LeftyMcKay
IE # 168
Member # 2558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeftyMcKay   Author's Homepage   Email LeftyMcKay         Edit/Delete Post 
How much does it cost and how about some pictures?

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I'll take a trip to House of Secrets in Burbank and talk to the people there. Right now I'm selling the books signed and numbered up to 250. If there's a demand for numbered copies I may take it to 500 and stop there.

I mailed a few out today. Shipping costs are higher than I initially expected. I think the high price of fuel has affected the price of shipping. I planned on selling the book online at $49.95 domestic, $59.95 international but that may go up slightly as the price includes shipping, handling and applicable taxes.

It's a hardcover book, full color and 136 pages in length. I'll have sample pages available to view soon. Probably by next week as soon as I get a few more details squared away.

--------------------
 -

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
Set one aside for me too. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I had the honor of having my issue hand delivered by the artist himself late tonight.

Man o man o man what an amazing book!!! the weight of it! not just physical weight but the years of experience and knowledge jammed packed inside
a book kinda weight. I haven't even started to read it and I'm already overwhelmed by the appeal of everything coming off the page...or is it coming off the page? its hard to tell.

Charles range of design is quite remarkable. he really knows how to make things very appealing.

...and all the images are class demonstrations...ssshhhhheeeet...they look like the walls of Disney visual development. One could build empires with the pages of this book.

May I be so bold to say that this book will go down in history as one of THE books to reference
for on point visual development in the multi media world.

I'm sure I'll have more to say once I'm done reading. But for now, pick this book up. they are gonna go fast.

KEEP CREATING!!!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Norn Iron Man
IE # 143
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norn Iron Man   Author's Homepage   Email Norn Iron Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Fist high Charles!!

Amazing - get some flickr action going so we can get a preview...?!

How do us folks in Europe get to buy it?!

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
hah so maybe i missed it someplace but...what's your book titled, charels?

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thanks again for the good word and well wishes everyone. I'm exploring shipment options at the moment. I think I'll be okay to start this by Wednesday of next week, that's September 3. I'll post the cover art, feature a link for sample pages and for purchase, and formally announce the book on the forums at that time.

I've got a lot to say about this, not just about the book itself but also the experience of authoring and organizing the marketing of it. It's a learning curve all the way. I may teach this as a class later on.

The book's getting excellent reviews by way of word of mouth to me. Along with what Snakebite had to say, last Saturday I sold a copy to a long time friend who's well positioned in the biz and is a no nonsense critic. It really won him over. I believed in the book and was confident that it would be received well once I had it, but the responses I'm getting are way over the top positive.

It's a simple book. It's different from what one would normally expect for this kind of thing. Although it features my art, I intended it to be about the reader. I wrote it for artists who are good and who want to get better. Whatever the hook is, it seems to be hitting a chord with a wide demographic.

For my first endeavour in authoring and publishing, I'm excited and encouraged by it all. I'm preparing a follow up book. The experience I'm gaining from my first one is helping to move the second one along.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Had more input today from someone who's not an artist and started reading the book. Although much of what's in there is on the advanced side of things for him, he understood what I was writing about in terms of the art. That's a big plus right there, as I was looking to connect with people who didn't necessarily work in the biz but appreciate it. He had good things to say all around, felt it was something for artists who were more advanced beyond the beginning stage. He said he could see how it would be helpful even to a beginner. So far so good, the more feedback I get the more enthusiastic I become about it.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Wanted to chime in and let folks know that I'm taking care of details prepping what I've got set up online for showcasing the book. It won't be much longer and I'll be ready to debut it here on AN. A matter of a few more hours.

I've got 4 solid reviews that have come in, Snakebite's above included, thanks bro. Waiting for the head of the animation department at CSUN to send in one. Got a call from her today and she said great things about it. I'll be adding more peer reviews as they arrive.

I've got a workable setup for shipping. Will be using both FedEx and the US Postal Service. If you're cool with about a 4 business day delivery window in the US and 7 to 10 days internationally (might be longer depending on where you are), I can ship it out at a good price without having to pass along added expenses.

If you're interested in the book, it's going for $49.95 in the US, including shipping & handling.

If you're ordering internationally, the charge will be $59.95 US.

If you'd like a signed book they're going for an extra $10, making it $59.95 in the USA, and $69.95 for international friends.

I'm signing the first 250 copies. If the demand for signed books is solid, I'll take it up to 500. After that, the signed books will not be offered anymore and the payment tabs for it will be deleted from the purchase page.

Right now I'm at 50 / 250.

First shipment for online orders will go out this coming Monday, September 8, 2008. Numbered books will be shipped on a first come first serve basis. Be sure to leave the correct spelling of your name when you order a signed copy as I'm keeping an author's log as to who owns which number, plus I'll be signing it to you and I'd like to get your name right.

Thanks for the enthusiastic encouragement everyone, it helped in the trip to completing this.

You know what they say... Keep Creating!

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

thats not my official review, C. I'm not done with it yet. its meaty.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012