AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Antz - coming up to ten years ago in September

Author Topic: Antz - coming up to ten years ago in September
SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, does this scare anyone else? o_0

Put it on recently and it struck me how long ago it was when it was released... I was in uni back then and saw it in the cinema. I remember the termite sequence really blowing me away back then, echoing the then recently released Starship Troopers. It's actually pretty grim... the termites spewing green acid and biting away at ants, the dark blue lighting, Samuel L Jackson ant's disembodied head...

Actually, it's quite suprising how jaded I feel watching Antz. I felt like I've seen the same film thousands of times over in the past ten years, and whilst sticking it on back in the late nineties on videocassette (ho ho) still got me excited, now I'm viewing it through slightly jaded eyes. Truth is it was pretty out there in terms of some of the things it did at the time, particularly the more grown up humour. I still think it's actually quite a strong film - and wouldn't say it's dated particularly badly in any way, either. It holds up pretty well and is arguably still one of the strongest movies in the Dreamworks portfolio.

One thing I find particularly intriguing seems to be the use of nicely rendered 2D backdrops. Am I wrong in thinking there's actually a lot of painted backgrounds there?

Great voiceover work, too.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

IP: Logged
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
A Woody Allen/Sylvester Stallone buddy film is a very weird thing.

-

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Egads, my grammar in that post was awful.

Anyway, yup, it is a wierd thing. But at least it was different!

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A Woody Allen/Sylvester Stallone buddy film is a very weird thing.

Although it's not the first time they appeared together. Stallone had a small role in "Bananas". That was 27 years before "Antz". Ten years doesn't seem so long ago now, does it?

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

27 years before Antz... I didn't exist.

... ok, now did that make anyone feel old?

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually worked as a 3d modeler on "Antz". I decided to watch it a few months ago with my kids. (I haven't watched it since it came out on dvd)
I think it stands up quite well as a 3d feature.
(even if it does have Woody Allen in it...ha)
The stuff they did way back then was amazing and it still looks quite good. (on sgi's and o2's)
There have been many 3d stinkers that have come out....and imho, this isn't one of them.

-dev

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

Herc
Member # 1246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herc   Email Herc         Edit/Delete Post 
The Prince of Egypt is going to complet 10 years too! It is a special animated movie to me! I realy love this movie. I would like DreamWorks had some plans to realese a special DVD for it.

--------------------
http://fredsposito.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012