AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Horton Hears A Who

Author Topic: Horton Hears A Who
devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
Has the film, "Horton Hears A Who" been discussed on this forum? (Sorry if this is a repeat)

Did anyone like the film?

I saw it with my kids the other night. I love the original Dr. Suess book version...and felt like there was tons of potential, but it didn't quite hit the mark for me.

Visually, the film/3d was beautiful. Definately captured the Suess style. But the film was so obnoxious, "gag-ified" to the hilt, and full of idiotic bumbling that after 20 miutes into it, I was ready to leave. (it really was 20 minutes into the film when I realized that it was going to be a long....long... night)

The kangaroo character was awful. (sorry Mrs. Burnett, but I loved Vlad the vulture)
Steve Carrell was really good (if his character wasn't such a bumbling idiot mayor)....and Jim Carey....well, he was the typical Jim Carey character we've seen and heard a hundred thousand times......(stretch yourself a little, Jim)
I wonder how much they paid out in these over- priced voice actors?

The story line was too complicated. Too many sub sub plots going on. And the ending????? Oh please...REO Speedwagon???? What were they thinking? Dr. Suess is turning in his grave. (how many of his stories are going to be ruined by filmakers????)
It makes me wonder if all the writers wrote seperatly and the director tried to piece all the jumbly scripts together at the last minute.....

Anyway, I was curious if anyone liked it...

-dev

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

IP: Logged
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Beautiful graphics, great animation. Otherwise, it's a bad movie. Get the DVD and watch it with the sound off.

-

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh, what you said. Looks like too many "creative" directors' hands in the pie. "Hyuk, Ya know what would be funny? Give Horton a griend called Norton who serves no purpose! Y'see it rhymes! Isn't that funny and clever?" And that ninja sequence WTF?

I will never ever ever see a film based on a Dr. Seuss book again. Not even rent it.

Yes the animators/animation is top-notch. The vulture stole the show. Voices were okay...I even thought Carey showed some restraint.

Thing is with Jim Carey; he is a pee-yer-pants funny comedian but when he is funny he is Jim Carey; playing himself. He is a great underrated dramatic actor. Perhaps they should have had him play horton as straight and innoncent as possible.
I find that with comedians (Williams, Murphy, Carey, Lewis.) are fantastic and underused dramatic actors. When asked to be funny they only know the one way as from their stand-up.

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 9 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I walked out of the theatre:(Very sad to say that. The environments were very nice though.
Blue Sky really needs story structure artists, but when you take a test, they prefer comedy. Unfortunately, a series of gags strung together does not a story make. Even Tex Avery's gag laden shorts had solid story structure.

Too bad really.

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on Dream On Silly Dreamer, called this type of thing... all icing & no cake.

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012