AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Bolt Trailer (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Bolt Trailer
Olve
IE # 185
Member # 427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olve   Author's Homepage   Email Olve         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.empireonline.com/video/bolt/

--------------------
Olve's Blog

IP: Logged
Timbone
IE # 90
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timbone   Email Timbone         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks pretty cute, and I heard that it was good from a couple folks. I still can't get over the whole Dog Thinks He's a SuperHero premise because it smells too much of Toy Thinks He's a Real Space Hero (Buzz Lightyear anyone?)... That said, I had heard that this is a bit different with the whole Truman Show vibe going on with the main character...

The hamsters design and attitude really crack me up. Bolt's got a good voice, I'm liking it so far. The cat, however... I'm not feeling it for that voice. Really just... flat. Uninteresting. Hope that the shots shown aren't representative of that character throughout the film.

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
feels good!
Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks real purdy! Story looks a bit generic but this is the first Disney 3D pic that I actually have an interest in. And I love Bolt's design.
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Tech stuff looks way good. Nice lights, hair, etc. I'll watch it. I'll watch anything animated.

Feels "pat", though. Timeworn beats and timing, voice styles and physical performances nearly identical to previous animation performances, cookie-cutter personalities, just a cut or two above that space monkey film that's out now. You can almost talk along with it the first time you see it. I wonder if Patrick Warburton does a voice in BOLT.

Without looking it up: Is this the film, formerly named something else, that had a bunch of engagingly off-kilter designs and other cool weirdness, but somebody (Lasseter?) threw out the good stuff and homogenized what was left into an easily spreadable Hollywood paste?

Why do animated characters in features move so much? They move too much. It's like they're playing to the back row. Sometimes SOUTH PARK is more effectively expressive with a head tilt.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I love it!!!

I'm a sucker for dogs.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Justahackn
IE # 157
Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Justahackn   Email Justahackn         Edit/Delete Post 
In HD:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809812763/video/8543735

Timbone
IE # 90
Member # 1305

-FP-: This film was based off a Chris Sanders idea that he was working on, and Lasseter and Sanders didn't see eye to eye on how it should go. I'm not sure if it was over story issues, design issues, or production choices (Traditional vs. 3D), but whatever it was, it led to Sanders leaving Disney and heading to Dreamworks. At least that's how I understand it.
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good, but I dunno.. I fell in love with the early Chris Sanders concept art. The big headed dog, and the cat with the eye patch.

It was like showing us The Beatles, but delivering the Monkees.

..and before you say it, I know some of you retards like The Monkees more than the Beatles.. keep it to your lonely selves!
[cheers] [funny]

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The original title was "American Dog", right?

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
"Here we commmmme, walkin' down the streeeeeet..."

I actually enjoyed the look of this trailer and the animation found within - it looks soooooo much better than Meet the Robinsons, so Disney seemed to have learned alot since then.

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
So this is coming out before Rapunzel? I haven't seen anything from that production yet. Anyone have any news?

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "Bolt" is due out this year.

I've seen artwork on "Rapunzel." Looks awesome!

Timbone
IE # 90
Member # 1305

I'm just glad that Rapunzel wasn't canned - I had heard that Lasseter wanted all Disney 3D productions halted, but I guess this wasn't really the case. Maybe it was new concepts halted, not ones that had been worked on.

In any case, I'm glad I'll be able to see Glen Keane's vision of what 3D could be...

dr.hong
Member # 3151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dr.hong   Email dr.hong         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Fun - what do you think of "Bolt?"
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a link to that test footage of American Dog?? Where he's in the boxcar??
 -
I dunno.. looking at that depresses me to how things could have been.
And this cat with the skull eye-patch! What a great looking character!!
 -
This concept art makes me give the Bolt trailer a "Meh." I'll probably never see it, unless it gets insanely good reviews.
 -

--------------------

Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animation Co-op           Edit/Delete Post 
The "Bolt" that is doesn't hold a candle to the "American Dog" that was.

KG

mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojodesign   Author's Homepage   Email mojodesign         Edit/Delete Post 
That cat character, btw, lives on in Chris Sanders' online strip, Kiskaloo. If you haven't heard of it by now, go check it out ASAP!

www.chrissandersart.com

The man, as it turns out, is an amazing inker and has a knack for writing comics too. What a talent.

-Jose S.

--------------------
 -

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

WOAH! I didn't know about that!!
Chris Sanders is a brilliant character designer.. brilliant with watercolors.. now he does comics as well??

-
(jealous in a good way) [cheers]

--------------------

dr.hong
Member # 3151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dr.hong   Email dr.hong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The "Bolt" that is doesn't hold a candle to the "American Dog" that was.

KG

That's too bad you feel that way Kevin.

I'm really excited about Bolt. I think it's a really strong film.

Art of Bolt
 -

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mr. Fun - what do you think of "Bolt?"
Tic-Toc-Tic-Toc... [Wink]

although, loaded question when someone is grabbing that companies weekly checks. [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Mel Allen Sink
IE # 236
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mel Allen Sink   Author's Homepage   Email Mel Allen Sink         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know that they don't pay him every *two* weeks?

Especially really really late in the afternoon....

--------------------
http://melallensink.blogspot.com

Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

quote:
I'm really excited about Bolt. I think it's a really strong film.
Let's hope so. I'm not terribly encouraged by what I saw. Obviously can't judge the story at this point, but the new character designs are disappointingly generic compared to Sanders', and the former painterly look is completely absent in the trailer. It's a shame.

KG

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
After Sander's left... Bolt was neutered. [Frown]

--------------------

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

I've been back east the past week and really busy, so that explains the delay in my response.

In case you're wondering, I'm not on the payroll at the Mouse House, so I've nothing to fear. I'm able to pretty much tell it like it is -- and I do so on any number of subjects. Bob Iger Doesn't mind. We're pals now.

First of all, these guys are my friends. Chris number one - - and Chris number two. I wish them both much success.

Sadly, I haven't seen a complete cut of "Bolt." What I've seen on occasion has been looking pretty good. And, yeah, I know its not the same quirky, personal little film that Sanders was doing -- but that's the way it goes in big time Hollywood, right?

It cracks me up that my pal, Mark Walton is doing the voice of the hamster, and the animation I've seen has been cool. Overall, I'm pleased with the movie I've been seeing, and I think it will do well at the box office later this year.

If I had a downside on the film -- it's a pretty safe story. I agree with Brad Bird that you have to be willing to "leap off the cliff." Disney is still playing it safe -- and as long as that continues they'll remain the "B" team compared with Pixar's "A" team.

However, this is not film school, and there's one heck of a lot of money involved. It's not my place to tell Disney how to spend (or risk) it's money.

Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

The "B Team" wasn't playing it safe when Sanders was booted by the "A Team".
Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

As a matter of fact, the "B Team" was doing some beautiful, challenging and daring work.

You can't point at "Disney" anymore.

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

I'm not sure where we disagree, Kevin.

I saw what Sanders was doing, and I loved it. Beautiful, challenging and daring to be sure.

I'm just saying the new management obviously had other ideas. They -- not Chris -- decided to play it safe.

blue eyes
Member # 259

Icon 3 posted      Profile for blue eyes           Edit/Delete Post 
Disney Animation = b team
Pixar Animation = A team

and if you're only as good as your last film
then:
Dreamworks Animation = A team

btw, I'd say the traditional film [ frog ]
Disney is animating should come out with
a " A " team look to it.
Hell of a crew they have on it.

Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

Mr. Fun,

Who is the new management at Disney Feature Animation? Who is calling the shots there now? Who is everyone answering to? Who has final say?

(Hint: those questions all have the same answer.)

KG

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Dr. Ed Catmull and John Lasetter would clearly be the answer.

Oh, my god! I'm probably fired!

Oh, wait! I just remembered. I no longer work there.

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoo! Look at all the cream pies flying around in this thread!

<Ducks> Oop! Yeh missed me! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

MutantPenguin
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MutantPenguin   Email MutantPenguin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I for one think 'Bolt' looks great, and it looks like a fun film. The Gerbil is a kick-ass character, he cracked me up. But the thing that strikes me is not so much that the plot has become somewhat generic, but the fact that Disney has already done this film!

101 Dalmations II: Patches Adventure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_Dalmatians_II:_Patch's_London_Adventure
The actor-dog in it is even named 'ThunderBOLT!'
What's with the remake?

American dog looked like a much more interesting world, where cats and dogs drive cars, and play poker w/ humans. Too bad the didn't have the cojones to take the same chance as they did w/ Lilo & Stitch.

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

quote:
Too bad the didn't have the cojones to take the same chance as they did
quote:
They -- not Chris -- decided to play it safe.
That's what I was thinking when, The Frog Princess alligator character was tossed up.
Cannibals!! But still thrilled that something is being done again with hand drawn work. [Smile] [Frown]

-

--------------------

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...a much more interesting world, where cats and dogs drive cars, and play poker w/ humans
Hey - Brian from FAMILY GUY does that stuff already. Brian can even crossbreed with humans, and he enjoys martinis. That would make a great Disney film.
Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

(cough) "Wild Life" (cough)
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

And, speaking of "Wild Life," check out our new book, "Disney Lost and Found" that features a lot of the great development art we did for the ill-fated feature film.

Personally, I never thought this material would ever see the light of day -- but once again, Disney surprised us. Luckily, I held on to a lot of the digital files while working on the film.

Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

I know of a few images that probably aren't in that book! [Wink]
Durrien
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Durrien   Email Durrien         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Bolt made a cameo in Wall-E...?

-

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Right, Kevin. I think we had a few of those images that Disney would prefer to forget.

I'm still amazed they even let us do the book. It's in the bookstores now.

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012