Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Big foot artists

Author Topic: Big foot artists
gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 5 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyso often I run across interviews with older animators where the person being interviewed refers to certain cartoonists and animators who as being "big foot artists."

While I know what they mean by that phrase, it seems like they say it in kind of a dismissive way. Not in a mean way, just kind of dissmissive.

Anyone know of any older animators who ever elaborated on those types of cartoonists or animators? Did they think animators who started out as big foot artists didn't adapt as well to animation or did they consider them relics in some way?

I could provide examples of interviews, including quotes from some audio ones, but I don't really have the time to search right now.

Just curious.

IP: Logged
Shane Glines
IE # 87
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Glines   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Glines         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't really answer your question, but I've noticed that when I show my book to non-artists they almost always comment the most on the more realistic drawings- anything with realistic proportions, shading, lots of lines, or based on a photograph. They have a "wow, you really can draw" attitude, as if cartoony or "bigfoot" drawings can't be "real art" or take any skill.

S.

--------------------
www.shaneglines.net
www.cartoonretro.com

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to have to help me out on this one: I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bigfoot".

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

bigshot
Member # 1024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigshot   Email bigshot         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's that giant shoe formula that you see so often in those big eyed skater characters. Blechh!

See ya
Steve

Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patty B   Email Patty B         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean this kinda big foot character style?

-

--------------------
 -

Shane Glines
IE # 87
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Glines   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Glines         Edit/Delete Post 
Bigfoot was used for humor strip cartoonists like Bill Hollman or Mort Walker, to separate them from more respectable strip artists like Alex Raymond and Milton Caniff.
S.

--------------------
www.shaneglines.net
www.cartoonretro.com

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I always heard the term "big foot cartoonists" or "big feet characters" used as a slightly derogatory term for old fashioned cartoony characters, like Alley Oop or Mutt & Jeff .

-

I suppose Popeye and Olive Oyl and a lot of the Fleischer characters would be considered "big foot" characters.

Some modern cartoonists have purposely emulated the "big foot" style in their own work, like R. Crumb :

-

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
The examples of what Shane and Eustace mentioned are what I was referring to.

And, I think Segar and his earliest contemporaries would have been definitely considered Big Foot cartoonists.

Though, I must admit, I wouldn't have considered Mort Walker until it was mentioned. His line is cleaner and doesn't vary as much but the feet and the bodytypes are indeed in that manner.
Maybe think of big footed characters as being bottom heavy or anchored. If that makes sense. The Alley Oop example shown above shows how the design of the calves factors in, too.
--
Oh, and Shane, I'm sure a lot of cartooning folks have had those encounters you mentioned above.
I remember once showing a portrait I did in watercolor to a friend of mine. I've known him for years and he's seen lots of my cartoon stuff. And, his first reaction was, " [bold]You[/bold] did that?"
It is weird how people react to different approaches to visual art. But, it is funny, too.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to post this notice once. If it can't be honored, I'm going to establish a personal blog to stay in communication with friends, and shut down the AN forums for good in hopes that I can regain a normal life once more.

Please do not use your account to post comments by others. That goes for everyone. I'm asking this as a courtesy please. If you respect the forums and trust my judgement over the years, I ask that you honor that request.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
In deference to this topic, the following explanation was offered by a former ANer posted by a current ANer.

For decades, "Bigfoot cartooning" has referred to humorous cartooning styles -- ANY humorous style, whether old or new -- as opposed to "realistic" styles. It's a term from the comic strip world that's also been applied to comic books, but rarely to animation. "Bigfoot" doesn't specifically refer to the way a cartoonist draws feet, just the humorous aspect of his style.

(And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with abominable snowmen, sasquatches, yetis or their ilk.)

Years ago, when I first started in Hanna-Barbera's layout department, the great Doug Wildey told me, "Ehh, you're one o' dem BIGFOOT cartoonists!" Thus labeled, I was only allowed to draw scenes featuring the series' monsters. Fortunately, a few weeks later, THE NEW FRED AND BARNEY SHOW went into production and I was all set!

I hope that satisfies the question at hand. I'm closing this topic.

--------------------
 -

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012