AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Ode to "The Mighty Hercules", the 60s animated series!

Author Topic: Ode to "The Mighty Hercules", the 60s animated series!
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Chalk up another one for the happiness you can find on YouTube.

This is one of the most obscure cartoons I remember ever seeing as a kid. It's only been a dream in my mind until now. I remembered the theme song, the centaur that repeated himself, the villians, Hercules and his girlfriend, the ring of power, the clenched fist. Simple cartoon but for a little kid it kicked ass.

"The Mighty Hercules" was produced in the early 60s, around 1963 and played for a year or two on TV. I've never seen it again until now, this day when I found 2 episodes.

Here they are.

"Medusa's Sceptre" featuring his arch villain Dedalus. This episode was directed by Grim Natwick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAMm7XwdD_M&feature=related

This one's called "Search for the Golden Apples" and features the evil sorceress Willomean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGPVq4j50yM&feature=related

The Mighty Hercules was a direct inspiration for the He-Man series that followed 20 years later.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
KevinO
IE # 36
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinO   Email KevinO         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch that show every week when I was a kid. Wow. I forgotten completely about that show. Thanks Charles.
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
It played a half-hour every morning when I was in grade-school through high-school. The theme was sung by Johnny Nash, who had a limp hit record in the 70s. A bunch of the voices were by Mr. Popeye himself, Jack Mercer! I used to think Dedalus (spelling?) sounded sort of like Fleisher's Gabby, who was also voiced by Jack Mercer. High school friends and I spoke of how Newton the centaur seriously needed to be murdered.
knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, "Garfield Goose and friends"! Frazier Thomas rocked!

Johnny Nash, really?!! the "I can see clearly now" guy??

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012