my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Hard times don't last forever

Author Topic: Hard times don't last forever
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently received an email from a friend I've known for many years. He worked in the biz for a long time, mostly as a background painter. Darn good one too. Like many struggling with the transition of the times, he was displaced by the 2d feature meltdown and the extreme stress executive mismanagement perpetuated upon the industry.

He struggled for a long with many hardships, some of them career oriented, some of them personal. Even had to relocate out of the area. But he survived, and after 6 years of challenge, he's making money as an artist again, in illustration and in other creative ways that require his exceptional artistic skills. His business is growing, making some money, and he's on top of things once more.

There's times in everyone's life when things take a dive in one way or another. A lot of people took it on the chin earlier in the decade as the local animation industry soured, but it's sweetening up again. My friend's story is not an isolated incident. I know of others in animation who were really going through some tough times, and now they're so busy it's difficult to get away from the work.

You see it in their demeanor and frame of mind, how much more positive and upbeat they are. They're stronger and more confident individuals as a result. The key was in staying creatively productive. Keeps you moving forward even during the darkest of times.

Happy to share good news. It's better to be in a growing industry as animation is and should be, instead of one that's being ripped apart at the seams as it was not too long ago. Keep creating, it'll help you stay on the path.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
We all went thought quite a renaissance over the past 8 years or so didn't we?

Let's continue the thread with rejuvenation experiences. What has everyone done since 2001?

Me: went to grad school and made a couple films and learned Maya.

How about the rest of you AN'ers?

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I jumped into fashion design , did some indie productions and always kept working on personal art
projects. I should of got a "normal" job during some of those years, but I don't know what "normal" means.

the last tens years have been very trying but creating was my savior and gave me focus and direction.

now it seems things are shifting in my favor and the work I did as an indie producer has given me
a rep that is helping my current situation.

Keep Creating!!!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
i think overall, i feel very fortunate to have been employed for 5 years straight without much down time. i think there was maybe a 6 month hiatus between season 1 and 2 of "little einsteins" but i was able to fill up most of that time working on other projects. i think i only had a few weeks of no work.

plus, me, my bro and a few others have got our site, shamoozal.com, up and running. i feel good that we have a little home to post our shorts at that we can call our own.

times are good [cheers]

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
I jumped into 3d medical animation for 4 years after I experienced a Corperate studio meltdown in 2003. (film/tv for 7 years) After I got sick of creating hip replacement animations (and other bodily animations), I got into Games.

dev-

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012