my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Andy Knight

Author Topic: Andy Knight
Paul D
IE # 280
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul D   Email Paul D         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought that I should post and say that Andy Knight has passed away. He suffered a stroke yesterday evening. He was 46.

I have just found out and am shocked! I do not have the words! Andy was a very talented director and, more importantly, a very good fellow! I worked with him for four years and held him in high regard!

That certainly does not do him justice! He was a very good man! I have no more words. Perhaps I will post more later.

IP: Logged
tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I recall when Red Rover came on the scene several years ago I was very impressed with the work they were doing: they made sizeable waves in the advertising industry in a very short time.

I am sorry to hear about this. My condolences go out to his family and co-workers.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Andy's work, here is a link to the Red Rover site.

http://www.redrover.net/

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy was one of Canada's, and animation's, most talented artists. He will be greatly missed. He was on a trip to Paris to sell one of his properties when he suffered the stroke.

What an incredibly unfortunate loss. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
I am speechless.

He was a wonderful person - and will be remembered as such.

RIP Andy

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know him but like a lot I know of some of the stuff he worked on.

The Big Bad Wolf commercial he apparently boarded is really, really great.

It sounds like he was a great guy and will be missed. Too young though.

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked. I didnt know Andy at all. I think I said hi to him at Toronto Disney Animation party about 10 years. Andy was a director on one of the films that the Toronto studio was doing at the time? Which one? I dont know? All I know is that everyone I know liked Andy.
Law
IE # 112
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Law   Author's Homepage   Email Law         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so sad to hear. [Frown]
I only know him/ that studio from their work, but it's easy to see this is a terrible loss indeed.

Deepest condolences to family and colleges

--------------------
www.lawrencejackson.com

Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patty B   Email Patty B         Edit/Delete Post 
I't been a couple days since we found out and it's still hard to believe--I only met him once or twice as well years back when he was directing Belle's Christmas and Dave was working with him. Dave still shakes his head in disbelief.
The animation community has been robbed of a rich talent.
Deepest condolences to the Knight family and to Red Rover.

--------------------
 -

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew of Andy although I cannot claim to be a friend or that he remembered me. He was in our first year as students. Years later I met (a hello) him while he was the director on a project on which I among many were working.
Any testimonial as to his phenomenal draughtsmanship is the truth and unexaggerated.
In our first year we had to hand in a sketchbook to be graded weekly. As the piles sat on the instructor's desk, students after hours would flip through the books to see what classmates were up to. His drawings were very advanced; the type that made you wonder why you should bother being an animator. I remember he had a fantastic facilty for quadropeds, horses in particular, something now I can only draw with blood sweat and tears. When I had heard this guy had gone to France to work on Asterix I wondered if he would be animating the Roman's chariots, he was so good. Remember, he would've been about 18/19 in 1st year. His final animal walk assignment was a moose. The assignment was couched in terms that we storyboard a little story; the animal and its mate are somewhere, feel raindrop and start walking towards Noah's ark (Off screen), that's where the profile progressive walk comes in and the class' walks would be spliced together. So not only do I remember fanatstically drawn moose but looking over his shoulder and he animating the clouds and a bearded God....smoking a cigar. Don't know if it was ever shot but I remember the drawings being fast, good and solid when I after 8 months was only just figuring out what Preston Blair meant.
Godspeed Mr.Knight. My prayers are with your family. It was an honour to have been in your presence at one time in history.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is alright, maybe people can put up links to blogs, news articles, etc. which say kind words about him, his work, etc.

I'm going to write something similar in the Ollie thread.

But, I guess it is up Charles whether that is permissable to link to every blog that might have tributes or not. I'm just suggesting it.

Seems like there might be much more to be said about Andy Knight.

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Patty B...It was the Beauty and the Beast Christmas film. I know alot of people that worked on this film over 10 years ago. One of my best friend's is still in shock about him.
Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patty B   Email Patty B         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be great to see that investment company commercial that featured him.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know Andy, but I'd like to contribute my expressions of condolences to those that did, his friends, colleagues and family. Seems he was very well liked very well respected. Reading through the comments on this thread, I'm getting to know him somewhat.

To answer gergley's suggestion, of course you can link to other blogs and sites that pay tribute to him. You don't need my permission to do that. This is AnimationNation. You folks lead the conversation, you don't need someone else to do it for you.

--------------------
 -

Striker
IE # 210
Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Email Striker         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard the news 2 days ago about Andy while I was at work. I didn't know him too well, although I was inbetweening at Disney when he was directing Beauty and the Beast 2, then worked under him again a few years later on the 1001 Nights feature. We would have to bring our finished scenes into him directly to approve, and I remember he was always very easy going and polite.

He was one of Canada's exceptional animators. Blessed with a natural talent that a good majority of us wish we had. He'll be missed.

--------------------
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
- Thomas Dewar

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to the commercial that featured Andy as "the animator":

Click here

It was posted on Facebook so you may need to have an account on there to view it. On the group's page you'll find many many testimonials about Andy and plenty of pictures as well.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012