AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Concept Art to Character Design?

Author Topic: Concept Art to Character Design?
Carrie W
Member # 3403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carrie W   Email Carrie W         Edit/Delete Post 
When does concept art step over the line into character design?

According to the Wiki page (which I know Wikipedia can be wrong) the definition for Concept art is the following:

Concept art is a form of illustration where the main goal is to convey a visual representation of a design, idea, and/or mood for use in movies, video games, or comic books before it is put into the final product.

The Concept artist definition is the following: An individual who generates visual reference for an object (like weapons, armor and vehicles) or being (like a character or creature) that does not yet exist.

Now to Character Design according to Wikipedia doesn't exist outside of the the "Commercial Character Design" which only focuses on the advertising part of it. . .sooo. . .I guess I'm going to say you guys know what a Character Designer does. However if you absolutely must have a definition:

A Character Designer creates a graphical design based around a characters persona, origins and personal characteristics; keeping in mind the overall stylistic choices of the end product.

So when does the character concept become the character design?

Discuss?

IP: Logged
Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking up character design / concept artist in Wikipedia is kind of... funny, innocent and sad all rolled up into one. [funny] [tipsy] [Frown]

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Character design occurs when your director approves the concept work as the official design for the production.

In short..when the "blue" goes to graphite.

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 cents..

Is that they are 2 sides of the same coin.

but if you want to get technical..

A concept artist is more of an illustrator, and a character designer is more of a.. designer.

A concept artist is an illustrator that creates a "style" or "look" of the elements in a movie.

And character designers, typically have more draftsman skills, and experience in animation than the concept artist.. and is someone who can quickly interpret concept art into designs, model sheets for animators to draw off of. (IE turnarounds)

A character designer can also be a concept artist, but concept artists usually have a hard time doing the character design work.

Most productions, The character designer is the concept artist.

Examples of Concept Art:
 -
 -
Disney hired this guy...  -
... Out of work Animators grabbed their chest

Aaaand examples of Character Design:
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie, from what I saw of your online portfolio, I'd say you are leaning toward concept art more then anything else. Does this Art School in Atlanta have a animation wing? I'm guessing you did all that layout concept & BG work there right?

--------------------

Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animation Co-op           Edit/Delete Post 
Offbeat is on the mark. Animation experience is essential in a character designer.

There are exceptions, of course. Carter Goodrich comes to mind.

KG

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
This might be over simpliying things, but isn't Character Design used for TV Animation and Concept Art used for Feature Animation & Video Games basically?

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
2 sides of the same coin. Character Design is considered Concept Art.

But a concept artist isn't necessarily a character designer.

A Concept Artist can VISUALIZE a character
and a Character Designer DESIGNS THEM..

Take Concept Artist Peter Deseve...
Here, visually creates a beautiful cast of characters, suitable for framing.  -

But if you ask him to turn-around any of those characters or how to make them walk and talk.. where their appendages articulate.. or how to build it in 3D.. he might throw up his hands and shrug.

A character designer makes sense of it all. But you may not want to hang it on your wall.
 -

Maybe this'll help..
A concept artist imagined.. drew and painted this..
 -
and a character designer would be the guy that does this...
 -
and an animator.. cg guy or sculptor can take that information and make this..
 -

I give up if that doesn't explain it.

--------------------

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Character design is in feature too, but the animators are doing more of that now. The way I was taught, was you do billions of roughs, blues and vignettes in all kinds of mediums. When the director and the stylist decide on a unified design, then YOU the character designer who can paint as well as draft, clean up the approved designs in the style of the film and then turn the clean up art in to the production designer who compiles the model packet.
At least that was Disney Feature in the 90's

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

rdelgado
Member # 552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdelgado   Email rdelgado         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the line between character design and concept art is and should continue to be blurred. I teach a class at Art Center College of Design here in Pasadena, and I FORCE my students to inject emotion, posing and props into their characters, because this is the future of our industry.
There's too many cool character designs from that school which are devoid of emotion, and before any grads jump on me, I am an Art Center alumnus.

I pretty much agree on Offbeat's post earlier, but twenty years ago a Ralph McQuarrie painting was concept art and a Glenn Keane pre-production rendering was character design. I merely pose the idea that the future of our business forces all artist to be able to do both.

RIcardo Delgado

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

oh.. and BTW.. that's like an Ideal situation.. most companies don't differentiate between concept artist and designers..
I've worked on productions where I would just hand over sketches to modelers..

and i've worked on couple productions where the character designer is the concept designer... they just tell them: "...make it look like this.. or that show!"

(In show business, they don't want it to look good.. they want it by Tuesday)

Typically.. animation production will spend a month (less or longer depending on whether its for TV or film and also depends on budget) working with concept artists developing the "look" and "feel" of the show.

Then they take that artwork and give it to designers to make characters, props, and backgrounds based off of that work.

[cheers] Long answer for a short question.

--------------------

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

.. And I keep saying it's 2 sides of the same coin..

I'm just explaining the differences I've experienced in the business. How others view it.

"Character design" should be to "Concept Art."

As "Sculpture", "Painting", & "Drawing" is to "Art"

"Concept Art" should be considered (IMO) the umbrella to "Character Design", "Prop Design", "Background Design," "Story Art" etc..

..but nobody asks me, and i'm not in charge of such things. [Smile]

--------------------

Carrie W
Member # 3403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carrie W   Email Carrie W         Edit/Delete Post 
Offbeat thank you for your answer. I appreciate you trying so valiantly to explain things in as many different ways as possible. Things are a lot more clear now - so thanks.

Jasen:
Yes sir, my school does have an animation wing, and I'm part of it - it's just. . .we have a strictly sequential artist as our main 'character and object' design teacher and well he didn't really explain a lot. The majority of my education I gleaned from books and a few core 2D teachers that were available, one of them being ex Disney. I've learned most of my 2D animation skills from her.

Olve
IE # 185
Member # 427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olve   Author's Homepage   Email Olve         Edit/Delete Post 
I work in games and my title is concept artist.
I do everything from "illustrations" and moods to blueprints of props and locations as well as character designs and model sheets of approved characters. Etc.
In other words; everything that has to be designed - which is... everything.
But I think this varies from studio to studio.
And in animation it's from my experience very often split up and closer to what Offbeat describes (eventhough concept art should not be illustration).

--------------------
Olve's Blog

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that most schools don't really teach you what you need to know animation wise. Even the big ones. Although Charles school is pretty good at it. You pretty much have to pick up some of it on your own.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patty B   Email Patty B         Edit/Delete Post 
A production designer, (often broken down into character, prop, location and possibly fx designers)take the concept art or the preproduction art and makes it work for animation. Much concept art is for direction and feel (sorta the visual language of the production) but need to be brought into the realm of the 'animation factory'--so that the design is animatable and can be reproduced on model by many hands and departments.
All models are used to pic colours and are used to check model of all the art that follows.

--------------------
 -

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ricardo!

That's so cool you're teaching at Art Center College of Design. Funny thing is, I use to sit next to Ralph MacQuarrie in some of my classes. Boy, he did okay, didn't he?

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay is an understatement! [Wink]

Great descriptions, Offbeat.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Offbeat, have you ever thought of running for President?

--------------------

devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I work, we have some amazing concept artists. Their main job is to come up with the "look and feel". Once that is established, the character designer takes a more "in depth" crack at each character (based on the script).

In my humble opinion, I think there is a distinct difference between a "concept artist" and a "character artist".

- Concept is just what it is. Concepting. A concept artist is usually someone who can draw "anything" very well. They draw objects, places, people, animals, worlds, etc. They can design, color, paint....etc.

- A character artist dives into each character on a different level. He/She unravels the mystery of the characters personality and incorporates that spark in the artwork/design. He/She has to make the character unique and different from anything else out there.
He/She is an amazing draftsman who understands how to create a character with emotion that connects and appeals to the audience. He/She can add caricature elements.

I have worked with concept artists that can't grasp the emotion of a character. Although they can draw very well, there is a disconnect to the emotion. Also, many concept artists can't caricature like a character artist can. (iam sure there are some exceptions)

just my 2 cents

-dev

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012