next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Finished content for book

Author Topic: Finished content for book
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody.

I'm happy to report that as of 5:45 am Pacific time, February 1, 2008, I completed my first book. I still have to prep it for print, which will involve technical adjustments, file conversions, etc, but the content is there and the pages are numbered and I'm just about ready to take it to press.

I initially thought it would be 70 to 80 pages in length, but it's turned out to be 132. I showed it in its entirety for the first time to a friend when it was close to finish this past Tuesday evening. He gave it a very positive review, so I'm hopeful it will do well.

I'll be self publishing the book in a limited run to begin with. I'm planning on printing copies in both harcover and softcover. It looks as if I'll be going to print with it this month and maybe selling as soon as March. We'll see. In any case, it's on its way.

This has been a valuable learning experience and although there are many lessons yet to come, I'm finding out first hand just how much work authoring a book can be. I've been on it for a year and a half, and that doesn't include the time it took to create the art. But it's a very satisfying endeavor and I'm already making preparations for a follow up.

I'll disclose more details when I'm ready to promote in earnest and I know that copies are on the way. Until then, keep creating cuz that's how it happens. Peace.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animation Co-op           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Charles! [thumbsup]
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
whoa man thats great news! you've been hinting about it for some time now, and it good to hear its coming to fruition. i'm looking forward to it.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to seeing it, Charles. Let us know where we can order it.
Im2dGuy
IE # 25
Member # 1160

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Im2dGuy   Author's Homepage   Email Im2dGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the book Charles!!

--------------------
www.animationbrad.com

Brian Reynolds
IE # 50
Member # 4

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brian Reynolds           Edit/Delete Post 
Man that news just puts a big 'ol grin on my face! Congratulations! I am SO looking forward to seeing this!

--------------------
-Brian Reynolds

toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 14 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done! Look forward to seeing it.
Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hold this up to a mirror for a secret message ---> AZZIP YTRAP!

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thanks alot for the good word guys. Moving into the production mode and a new set of challenges. A grass roots marketing campaign so far has got me a Barnes and Noble book signing emerging plus a lot of interest in reserving early copies.

--------------------
 -

devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds awesome. I look forward to seeing it.

Also, for fellow self publishers, any extra info / insight/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

-dev

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
FIST HIGH!!!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope there won't be too many words. [Smile]

Congrats. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats dude! Best of luck with the signing.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thank you very much for the positive wishes. I've progressed with this to the level where it's time to get an ISBN number and go to print. I've invited Gary Clair (Offbeat) to review the book. I trust his honest opinion and am looking forward to what he has to say about it. He'll be the second person to see it and hopefully he'll like what he sees. It's fitting since it was his copy of Dan Poynter's "Self Publishing Manual" he lent me that I've been using as a reference all this time.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Making slow but steady progress, as Snakebite has seen the book's content as well as Animagus. They seem to like it so I'm feeling pretty good about its prospects.

I've ordered a block of ISBN numbers, enough to start a publishing company. I'm also making arrangements for order fulfillment. I'm considering a little more content booting the page count to 136. The figures are coming in and so far they're good enough to produce the first run in the US. Working around most production hurdles without too much of a problem.

I'll be getting started next week on setting up a website for pre-sales and orders. Should be going to print in early March and hopefully I'll have the first batch not too much longer after that.

I'm learning that as with any comparable endeavor, getting a book out takes longer than you would think. If one projects a time span of a week, the reality is it'll likely take 3. That's the biggest lesson I'm taking out of this effort. Give it plenty of space time cuz there's going to be delays.

Once it goes to print I'll publicly announce it. Thanks once more to friends for all for the positiveness. Looking forward to sharing the news when it's done.

--------------------
 -

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
of course, you dont have to answer, charles, but i was just wondering. when you first annouced a book, i automatically thought it would be a collection of your personal artwork, but it just struck me that perhaps its a bit more or maybe something else? maybe its more instructional? or maybe its your take on the industry?

nevertheless, it sounds cools to me.

--------------------
www.shamoozal.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
a book on his take of the industry?

now thats an idea!!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I'm much more interested in creating art books than writing about the industry. Maybe down the line sometime. The book I'm currently putting together is more educational than instructional per se. My intent for it is to be of benefit to artists as much as something to enjoy. It'll be published under the brand of my school.

I'm expecting a proof to come in early this week of the cover and a few pages. I'm told so far both the quality of reproduction and materials are very good, so I'll see for myself soon enough what the first results will be like.

--------------------
 -

hamsterbite
IE # 3
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hamsterbite   Email hamsterbite         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds really cool, Charles. Congratulations to you and us, because we'll get to see it.
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thanks hamsterbite.

I've made considerable progress in the past few days. The ISBN numbers came in. Also, a proof of the front and back cover plus an inside page, and a sample of the binding. The binding has problems. It's some new technique that's meant to be cost effective, but it looks cheap. Gonna get that matter squared away.

The proofs look really good. Blues are a little darker than I expected, going more towards indigo, but overall I'd say the color fidelity is darn good. I'm trying out digital printing through a state of the art digital press. The results compared to traditional offset printing are identical I'd say. So close only an expert could tell the difference. I didn't have to convert the files to CMYK. I used RGB files and they worked out fine.

The biggest surprise is that I didn't need to take the page files into Quark or InDesign for setting up the type. I did everything in Photoshop. There was a concern that the Photoshop text would be problematic at 300 dpi, but the type is perfect even under a magnifying glass. I rasterized and embedded the type by flattening the Photoshop PSD files and then converted them to PDF document files. That's it. Perfect results.

I'm planning to get a small run of hardcovers out, somewhere around 200. I'll be selling these at a premium as signed artist's proofs. The way it's looking I've pretty much sold these out already with folks getting in early reservations. I'm making arrangements for a bigger run for mass marketing if it's well received.

Creating a book is a great experience.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Keep Creating!

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

while i know its not, it just sounds so simple that anyone can make a book if they have the will to do so. i mean, the fact that its a photoshop doc thats been converted to a PDF and then shipped to print is pretty amazing.

i know it sounds like i'm saying its a breeze to do what you're doing charles, but im not. i understand its a HUGE undertaking, and its all about the content. i'm just amazed by the tech.

--------------------
www.shamoozal.com

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

please dont misunderstand what i meant up above. i know i don't have it me to do a book with three pages in it. i know you're putting a TON of energy into yours, charles (and anyone else who's into self publishing). by no means do i think its easy to do it. [bow]

--------------------
www.shamoozal.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Ganklin, I didn't take your comments that way at all. The truth of the matter is that in this regard, it is a breeze to prep for print. At least that's what I'm experiencing so far. The files are FTPed over which makes it that much easier.

Coming up with content, creating the pages, etc is where the bulk of the work is and Photoshop works fine for putting it all together. If you know Photoshop there's no need to use any other program unless you want to.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I've made more progress with my book. After losing about a month working with people who weren't working out, I'm prepping for a short run of digitally printed proofs in hardcover which I'll be selling signed and numbered. I've also started to arrange for a larger print run for the general markets.

My research into book printing has given me even more reason to be enthusiastic about developments in the field. Digital printing is growing at a strong pace. From 1996 to 2006, digital printing accounted for an increase of 425% in titles published per year, according to R.R. Bowker, the company that issues ISBNs. Digital printing is growing at 25% a year as the preferred method of printing for books. This is a great time for artists who want to self publish. Emerging technologies are making it even better.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012