AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Animation Guild Holiday Party 2007 - Photos

Author Topic: Animation Guild Holiday Party 2007 - Photos
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
With each passing year, at the Guild's annual Holiday Party, I realize more and more what a blessing it is for me to be in this business. As difficult and challenging as it may be, when I see the beautiful people that make up our community and industry, it really hits home.

Such was the case once again this evening, and if the Guild's 2007 is distinguished from all the others in the past, it's because of the love and warmth that was there tonight.

Thank you to the Animation Guild for another magical experience with friends and colleagues. It was great seeing old pals, making new ones and sharing the good times.

I have lots of pictures to feature and will be getting the first of them up soon.

Cheers!

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Okay, here we go with the show.

Making my way to the Royal Crest Room at the Pickwick Center in Burbank...

-

...who do I happen to see when I get to the entrance, my old friend Kristen Sych. Kristen is a very talented animator working at a studio in Santa Monica, I can't recall which one, but it was great running into him right off the bat. Kristen was an animation instructor at The Animation Academy at one time.

-

There was a steady stream of people making their way to the party at the time I arrived.

-

The line was trailing out the door of the Royal Crest Room.

-

This is the scene when I got there, sometime around 7:30 pm.

-

More to come...

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

A panoramic view of the main room for the party with guests still arriving at the left.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Once in the Royal Crest Room, the first person I ran into was my good friend Gregg Davidson. Gregg is the author of "Cinematics Storyboard Workshop". He just wrapped up a deal involving a project of his and is on his way to Korea to supervise production of the pilot episode.

-

This handsome gent is the one and only Mark McDonnell. Mark is formerly of The Animation Academy, works with the Technicolor Corporation and maintains a popular blog.

-

The great Jean Ann Wright, author of "Animation Writing and Development: From Script Development to Pitch". She has another book on the way.

-

Kim Narsette from The Simpsons.

-

Randol Eagles on the left from Nickelodeon, to the right is Rodney Clouden from "American Dad".

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Here's the scene in the adjacent room around the time I arrived. As the evening went on the crowd grew significantly.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

This is Robert Gold of The Animation Academy, who goes by Animagus on the AN forums.

-

Long time Guild executive board member and animation director Tom T on the left. To the right is Brooks Wachtel, executive producer and co-creator of the series "Dog Fight" which airs on the History Channel in the US.

-

Paul Burrows who you may know as PaBurrows on the forums.

-

Emmy Award winning storyboard artist Mike Deiderich, currently at Disney on "Yin Yang Yo!".

-

Effects animator Kevin O'Neal, who goes by KevinO on AN.

-

The great Tom Sito, animation director and former president of the Animation Guild, author of "Drawing the Line: The Untold Story of the Animation Unions".

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

On the left, that's Cameron Thompson from Cal State Northridge. Center is Erika Vega and to the right is Dante Fabiero, both of whom are working on a secret project I can't tell you about.

-

Flash animator Ryan Khatam.

-

Chance Raspberry from The Simpsons.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

This is Craig Zukowski, writer, animation director, illustrator and educator. He was my art director at one time. One of the coolest people I've ever worked with in the biz.

-

This beautiful gal is Bronnie Barry.

-

Bronnie and Craig have known each other for years, going back to the 1970s when they were working together at Hanna Barbera.

-

Lots more photos on the way.

--------------------
 -

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
looks like a hell of a turn out!

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good times good times. I actually came out of my cave this year to go. its been a couple of years
since I last went and I received a lot of love...I set down my guild gifts though and the drink made me forget where I put them. I can rest assure someone picked it up so it didn't go to waste.

but I would've carried it with pride, bronnie, if I remembered where I put them.lol

I also got to hang with Charles for the day and evening and it was great to catch up.Gregg Davidson stopped by C's studio before we went and
he was kind enough to give me a sneak peak of
his secret project. what a treat!

thank you Guild for a great party!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Indeed, it was an excellent turnout as usual, and a good time was had by all.

Here's James Dylan Crowley, JDC on the forums.

-

This is Phil Hernandez from Renegade Animation Studios.

-

Emmy Award winning character designer David Colman from Walt Disney Studios, author of "The Art of Animal Character Design".

-

Director Doug McCarthy from Nickelodeon.

-

Mark Maxey and Nahrin from Mike Young Productions.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Ken Roskos, aka Eagle_One on the forums, Maya instructor at the Guild's American Animation Institute.

-

Gary Montalbano and the Mrs. expecting their first baby.

-

The future.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

JoJo Ramos on the left and Nick Butera on the right from Renegade Studios.

-

Two greats, production designer Gary Montalbano on the left and animator Dave Kupchak, formerly of Disney Studios currently with Porchlight Entertainment.

-

The great Jerry Beck with his latest book, "The Hanna-Barbera Treasury".

-

The legendary Bob Tyler, long time friend from back in the days of the He-Man show.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The Animation Guild folks manning the front desk and greeting guests with gifts for the evening. From left to right, John Cataldi, Janette Hulett and Russell Calabrese.

-

The Business Representative of the Animation Guild, Steve Hulett with his wife Janette.

-

JD Crowley with his lady Claire.

-

Still more photos on the way.

--------------------
 -

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
Its was great to see old friends and to meet new ones. Its always great to see you Charles. I tried to say hi to you Snakebite, but everytime I tryed you were being mobbed by admirers. Next year I guess.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Good to see you as well Paul, and thanks for the greeting last night. The card you created is excellent. I'm going to share the art in class this week.

This is Andre Medina from The Simpsons.

-

When this man's in the room everything lights up. Bob Harper from Cartoon Network, toonedbob on the forums.

-

Animator, good friend and long time AN supporter Todd Jacobsen.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

On the left, that's Brad Rader, storyboard artist on King of the Hill. In the center is Kevin Altieri, director on Sony's upcoming animated series Spiderman. To the right is Snakebite.

-

This lovely lady is Robin, with whom I shared a special moment.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

After a fun time at the party I set out early to get the photos up on the forums. On my way I decided to take a departing shot of the entrance...

-

...when I heard my named called and realized that Bronnie was there enjoying the night air with her friend StephG from here on AN. Steph is with Threshold Entertainment. This is the first time I've had a chance to talk and get to know him after all these years. Enjoyed the conversation with Steph, and Bronnie is always great to talk to.

-

On the way out of Pickwick, I ran into James Lavelle Brown and his beautiful wife, Satti. James is a right hand man for helping to teach character design at my school, and Satti has been very helpful in assisting me with organizing operations. Two great people for whom I'm very happy to know and for whose friendship and support I'm grateful.

-

And that's the show, ladies and gentlemen! My experiences at this year's TAG Holiday Party. Wishing you all a Happy Holiday Season, a Merry Christmas and all the best that life can bring.

Thanks once more to the Guild for their warm hospitality and unwavering service to the animation industry.

Until next year...

--------------------
 -

LeftyMcKay
IE # 168
Member # 2558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeftyMcKay   Author's Homepage   Email LeftyMcKay         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting these, Charles!
I don't know how, but for the past 3 years I keep missing you at this event. The past two years I think I arrived after you had left but this year my wife and I made it before 8. Considering how packed it was I'm sure there were a few other old friends I missed. Good times nonetheless!

Trivia time: Is it true that Greg Davidson was the model for one of the children in the original Transformers animated series, as someone at the party informed me?

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any other animation sites out there that covered or documented the event?

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Lefty if I knew you were there I would've hunted you down. I used to arrive late to let the crowd thin out but since I started posting shots of the party I get there earlier. With all the people it's hard to track anyone. I go with the flow and hope to meet up with as many as possible.

--------------------
 -

Todd
IE # 100
Member # 405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Always a pleasure seeing old friends from AN (Charles, Snakebite) at these functions...Happy Holidays, everyone!

--------------------
http://www.toddjacobsen.com
http://www.toddjacobsen.com/blog

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
You are right on the money about Bob...
The place seems nicer with him in it.
I don't ever think I have seen him without his hat.
Truth be told I can't remember his voice. Only text.
We must change this in the new year...more talking and conspiring.

Great pictures!!! [Big Grin]
I am now so very sorry I missed it... [Frown]
but duty called. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

I totally missed seeing Gary Montalbano. damn!
love that guy!

I missed seeing alot of people, actually. that thing was so big.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012