AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » NEW CHARLES SCHULTZ BOOK

Author Topic: NEW CHARLES SCHULTZ BOOK
rdelgado
Member # 552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdelgado   Email rdelgado         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I've read where there's this new Charles Schultz book coming out soon, yet from reading some of the comments from the Schultz family, I'm still not clear as to why they seem so upset? Could some of you enlighten me, please?

Ricardo Delgado

IP: Logged
Fooksie
IE # 239
Member # 331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fooksie   Author's Homepage   Email Fooksie         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to take eyeballs away from AN, but there are a few in-depth threads over at Cartoon Brew that will make everything very clear.
I for one won't be buying that book, and I love biographies of artists!

--------------------
" Every move a picture! "
Buddy Love

katsat
IE # 86
Member # 1258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katsat           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to be picky but the name is Charles Schulz.
Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry to be picky but the name is Charles Schulz.
Yes, not to be confused with the Sgt. Schultz bio,
I Zee Nuttink, Nut-tink!

rdelgado
Member # 552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdelgado   Email rdelgado         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, sorry I miss-spelled Shulz' name, yet I read some of the CB columns, and all I read were posts by family members who are not happy with the writer's portrayal of Charles as a kind of dour fellow, and I guess with all of the possibilities of scandal out there, I just don't understand their frustration.
If the guy was a serious-minded presonality, that's just not enough for me to see their beef.

Ricardo Delgado

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading (back in the 80's) he was making $75 million a year from The Peanuts property.

No way can he be a nice guy, and pull down that much scratch. If he was a nice guy, They'd pay him peanuts for Peanuts.. they woulda walked over him.

I'm not saying he's a douche.. I just wouldn't be surprised at all if was.

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly, my curiosity is piqued. I think I will pick it up sometime.
quote:
and I guess with all of the possibilities of scandal out there, I just don't understand their frustration.

Yup. Mentioning failed marriages, affairs and depression sort of humanizes him if anything. Not that I would know what is true but many readers are intelligent enough to have a sense of discernment to temper that the author is not writing first- hand P.O.V.
I mean, I know it's B.S. when an author of a biography is an amateur retro-psychoanalyser. Still could be an entertaining interestring read, like movies of the week that are " based on true events.

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

quote:
I'm not saying he's a douche.. I just wouldn't be surprised at all if was.

Good point. He would certainly require some drive, tenacity and spark (pun intended) to get as far as he did as a cartoonist. I doubt he was a "douche" though. Many other succesful cartoonists knew him and would've probably said so. Fans who've met him or wrote to him have said nice things. IIRC Al capp was bemused by Schulz's success.
SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
The book is out and definitley on my Christmas present list. There are comic strips inline with the text that are relevant to the narrative which makes reading the book grand.
I for one drool everytime I walk by it at Borders!

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Fooksie
IE # 239
Member # 331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fooksie   Author's Homepage   Email Fooksie         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean, " good point "?
Just because this guy took care of his business, he's gotta be an @sshole?
What, he'd be noble if he were poor?
How many people on this board want to be successful?
Does that make them jerks?

--------------------
" Every move a picture! "
Buddy Love

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see the PBS documentary broadcast this past Monday? It was beautiful. Catch it when it's on again, I'm certain it's scheduled again at other PBS stations at later date. [cheers]

Fooksie, thanks for mentioning the Charles Schulz thread over at Cartoon Brew - It's terrific.

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
The evidence from his family and close friends is clearly laid out over there: the Charles Schulz created in the biography does not represent who he really was. I'm not going to bother.
Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

quote:
What do you mean, " good point "?
Just because this guy took care of his business, he's gotta be an @sshole?
What, he'd be noble if he were poor?
How many people on this board want to be successful?
Does that make them jerks?

Was agreeing with offbeat that he wasn't so nice that he was a pushover. Was not agreeing that he was a douchebag. No, I don't think being successful requires one to be a jerk but one should have a healthy self interest. The problem (okay, I'll say "with me") with me is that as an artist my interest in doing what I love can take priority over business, to say it nicely.
I did basically say that every first hand thing read or heard about Schulz was positive.

Christian
IE # 211
Member # 3132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No way can he be a nice guy, and pull down that much scratch. If he was a nice guy, They'd pay him peanuts for Peanuts.. they woulda walked over him.
Who said being nice equals being a pushover? Besides, in Schulz' case he may have been smart enough early on to get an agent. Then again, I have no clue, but he certainly did something right. There's very few people like him who made a positive, worldwide contribution every day for fifty years with a legacy that endures today. Absolutely amazing what he did.
Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so that some people don't get confused: the book that is being criticized is not related to the PBS documentary.

The only time I got a chance to see Charles Schulz was many moons ago at a San Diego comic book convention. I think Scott Shaw was wearing a Bob's Big Boy outfit on stage in that particular year. [Razz]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012