AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Rainbow over Burbank and the Disney Studios - Sept 22 '07

Author Topic: Rainbow over Burbank and the Disney Studios - Sept 22 '07
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
A once in a lifetime photo op, if that. I was at the right place at the right time today and recorded this amazing image.

After the heaviest rain storm we've had in the LA area all year, a rainbow appeared over Burbank with the pot of gold right smack in the heart of the Walt Disney Studios!

The Disney corporate buildings are visible at the lower right corner.

-

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Here's a close up. The white steeple at the bottom left is St. Finbar's Church on Olive Avenue. The white object to the extreme right just above the tree line is the water tower on the Disney lot. Looks like the rainbow is falling somewhere towards the east side of the lot around the Frank Wells Building.

-

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Somewhere, under the rainbow... lies the heart of the animation industry in Burbank.

The apex of the animation rainbow in Burbank at approximately 6:45pm Pacific time.

The left end of the rainbow rests just about dead on where Cartoon Network is located. Under the arc at the left is Nickelodeon. A little right of the center is DreamWorks, and at the right of course is Disney.

How about that! Very very rare occurence. It'll be a long time before this phenomenon is ever seen again.

-

--------------------
 -

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! Nice shots, and not without meaning.
It looks like a double rainbow in that second post.

KevinO
IE # 36
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinO   Email KevinO         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this up in Sunland too Charles, as I was at Ralphs. Against the mountains it looked so cool. I rushed home to get my camera but it was too late.
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
I rushed out numerous times to look to see if there was a rainbow. I knew if there was one Charles would get it.

A few years ago when it rained similar to this we were driving down Franklin Avenue going east and there were a number of rainbows. I got it all on video !

I have to admit that when rainbows hit the southland they really hit!

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, almost forgot, was hoping I could get one to appear near Griffith Park Observatory. Now THAT would be an awesome shot!

--------------------

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Meanwhile, near Griffith Park, a mudslide triggered by a sudden cloudburst Saturday caused a hillside to collapse, trapping as many as 14 cars in mud.

To extend the metaphor, much like the animation industry itself, it looks great from far away, but in reality, down on the ground, several people are stuck in the muck and the mire. The execs would be the mud? [Wink]

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful pic, Charlie--
What an amazing opportunity! Goes to prove that one must always carry a decent camera to grab stuff when it happens! Unfortunately lower pixel cellphone cameras don't always do justice.
Where were you at the time, to have gotten such a shot?
I hadn't seen a rainbow as perfect as that one (in person) in ages.. last last time was in England-- a lovely double one, back in '71!

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Floyd, I was chatting with the guys at the firehouse about the possibility of mudslides just hours before that happened. I was gonna go jogging in the rain just for fun and was thinking of going up to Griffith but stopped to ask the fellas if it was safe. They were prepared believe me and have been doing a good job clearing things up.

--------------------

hamsterbite
IE # 3
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hamsterbite   Email hamsterbite         Edit/Delete Post 
That composite shot is especially cool! I never carry a camera... is that why I don't see all the cool stuff?
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
A good reason to bump this up. Rainbows always make things cheerful. Someone in town saw these shots and asked if they could use one of the pictures for their Holiday card. So I've got my first photo being published.

--------------------
 -

rdelgado
Member # 552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdelgado   Email rdelgado         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Charles!

A reminder that there's beauty all around us. We just need to look for it.

Ricardo Delgado

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012