AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Annie Awards 2008 - Suzan Pitt's turn to be honored

Author Topic: Annie Awards 2008 - Suzan Pitt's turn to be honored
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
It really is high time that Suzan Pitt is recognized for her lifetime of achievements in animation.

http://www.animationnation.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011974

A brilliant artist and filmmaker. With the Annie Awards coming up in about 6 months from now, I'd like to petition ASIFA-Hollywood to please keep Suzan Pitt in mind for a juried award. She's a remarkable American animator who very much deserves recognition at the highest level.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
bigshot
Member # 1024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigshot   Email bigshot         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll let you know when the submissions are being looked at so you can get one in for her. The timeline on the Annies should be locked down very soon. It's going to be the biggest one yet this year.

See ya
Steve

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if there's anyone out there associated with ASIFA-Hollywood that can speak on behalf of the organization besides bigshot here on AN. It would be preferable if this were possible.

I'd be happy to submit whatever I have to submit on behalf of Suzan Pitt, and I'd like to rip a new one through this organization in the process. One of America's greatest independent animators, whose unique life long dedication to the art is virtually without equal, and she has to take a back seat to someone who's claim to fame is the Animation Archive.

I don't know what to say about this without further inflaming the attitude we have to put up with here, but if bigshot qualifies for a lifetime achievement award for the Archive, then surely Suzan Pitt should be hands down the frontrunner for at least a comparable honor. I don't know what the ASIFA-Hollywood directors are thinking, but I can't see the justification or any excuse at all why she should've been passed up this long.

Whatever I have to do I'll do it to nominate Suzan Pitt. Just please, let me work with someone else from within the group. Thank you.

--------------------
 -

bigshot
Member # 1024

The way it works, any member of ASIFA-Hollywood can suggest candidates for the juried awards. There's the Winsor McCay Award which honors career achievement, the Ub Iwerks Award for technical achievement and the June Foray Award for benevolent impact on the artform. I believe the committee will be meeting early next month. You can provide written material, images and/or video along with your suggestion. It's best to put thought into how to present the information to the committee. There will be a lot of strong candidates, as there are every year.

See ya
Steve

bigshot
Member # 1024

By the way, I didn't receive the June Foray Award just for my work on the Animation Archive. It recognized 20 years of service to the organization and the art of animation. I have also received Annies for the rock video I produced for Bjork, and for producing the first internet cartoon series, George Liquor.

I'm afraid I'm the only one involved in ASIFA-Hollywood with the time and interest to participate here right now.

See ya
Steve

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

That's too bad.

Suzan Pitt was producing films long before your career got started.

--------------------
 -

bigshot
Member # 1024

I'm proud of my accomplishments and I'm appreciative that they've been recognized by my peers. Petty vindictiveness like this reflects more on you than it does on me. Your friends should do you a favor and urge you to rein it in.

See ya
Steve

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
Charles, I wouldn't worry too much about this award thing. It's all a bunch of baloney as far as I'm concerned. Does winning an award makes somebody a better artist?

I've never won an award in my life. Never. Not one. And you know, I wouldn't trade position with any one of my award winning friends. [Smile]

--------------------
 -

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Gagne, on behalf of the readers of Animation Nation I hearby present you this award for the standard of excellence you have demonstrated in the animation medium!!

Awww, sorry to do that to you Michel - but you deserve all the accolades that could possibly presented someone for the amazing work you have done on films like Iron Giant, Ratatouille and Osmosis Jones!!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Michel, I make an issue out of it because the Annies should be taken seriously and I believe very strongly in Suzan Pitt. There's nothing like her animation, the way she does it, lives it and the message of her work is very positive and compelling. She's a great American animator who's time has come for recognition without a second thought.

Steve, I leave the petty vendictiveness to the experts.

My disappointment in ASIFA-Hollywood is well founded. I was a long standing member. When my dues came up I always paid more than the basic membership fee. When I went to events I'd always put in a good donation. When I rented the old office on Victory Blvd I always paid more than what was asked. I participated in ASIFA-Hollywood's Career Expo twice, renting a booth and buying ad space in the program.

In 2000 or 2001 when the organization was strapped for cash and a special donation request letter went out, nobody matched my level of contribution but the Walter Lantz Foundation.

My track record of support for ASIFA-Hollywood is pretty damn strong. I don't think it's asking too much for someone over there besides yourself to maintain a presence for the organization here on AN in a capacity that would involve using the ASIFA-Hollywood account that's been registered with us for years.

Nobody is here promoting the organization. Nobody is here encouraging people to join. Whenever there's an event happening I'm the one who posts it. I offered a forum here on AnimationNation.com dedicated to the Animation Archive... I'll repeat that to be sure it sinks in with you... I offered a forum on AnimationNation.com dedicated to the Animation Archive. I don't know what else it takes to connect with this kind of dysfunction. All that matters with some of you branch davidians is the attitude you carry around that is so absolutely unappealing I find it hard to put into words.

I'm completely indifferent to your threats of making me look bad. I couldn't care less if I tried about the opinions mean people in animation carry around about me.

Here's a thread you should be working Steve. More than anyone else active on this board.

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012598;p=1#000023

I hope that ASIFA-Hollywood's decision makers will do the right thing and find a place for Suzan Pitt in the Annie Award pantheon this coming season. I'm going to use the forums to educate whatever committee's involved. That's my submission. Turn on a computer and read my petition for her consideration. Print it out if necessary.

--------------------
 -

bigshot
Member # 1024

Thanks for the offer of a separate forum for the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive. But I would prefer to participate in the General Discussion forum where most of the people are. I'll try to post more about upcoming events here. We have an exciting one coming up... a members-only 90th birthday party for our President Emeritus June Foray. The date and location hasn't been locked down yet. I'll let you know when it is.

Thanks
Steve

bigshot
Member # 1024

By the way, Michel has been recognized with Annie nominations three times... for Quest for Camelot, Osmosis Jones, and Iron Giant. That's something to be proud of.

See ya
Steve

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caracal   Author's Homepage   Email Caracal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Charles
I checked out Ms Pitt's website. Pretty interesting subject matter. Like to see it sometime when I have money again.

I love how people who are looking for a fight try so hard to look like they're not looking for a fight.

Cheers

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is great that there's a great animator who can be talked up. But, I really am perplexed as to why the potshots pop up.

Why?
How does doing that continue to shine a light on a great animator?

More flies with honey...

Bill
IE # 166 ASIFA
Member # 1527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill   Email Bill         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Charles. I'll do my best to add another voice from ASIFA-Hollywood.

First, Susan Pitt will definately be considered among others for a Winsor McCay award. We are now trying to honor major talent and influences in mainstream (feature), independent and television animation. Steve was a major voice in opening this award to current talents instead of just veterans of animation.

Susan would not necessarily be appropriate for a June Foray award. That award is described as honoring "individuals who have made a significant and benevolent or charitable impact on the art and industry of animation". More specifically, we think of this as a way of thanking our own... those who support and forward the goals of ASIFA-Hollywood and its founders including June Foray and Bill Scott. It was Bill Scott who dreamed of someday having a museum and archive devoted to animation. Steve Worth has almost single-handedly made this a reality. Honestly, Charles, this is the type of award for which you could be considered someday.

Your support over the years has been greatly appreciated. Personally, I'm always glad to see that either you or Steve has posted news of major events. I haven't felt it necessary to beat people over the head with "Yeah! Me too!!" After all, we are well represented at most major studios and a large general membership and email list.

Now Charles, why is it so hard for you print out Susan's bio and filmography from her website and send it in with an application for formal consideration? Ok, I'll save you a stamp and do it myself. Happy?

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Hi Bill. I'm not familiar with the process of what's involved with formally submitting someone for consideration for a juried award for the Annies. Why not explain the procedure here for everyone's reference along with this year's deadlines.

--------------------
 -

Bill
IE # 166 ASIFA
Member # 1527

Unfortunately I missed the Board meeting a few days ago, so I don't yet know the key dates. But the procedure is to go to the Annies web site at www.annieawards.org . The top of the screen shows links to rules, juried award explanations, forms, etc. Go to "Forms". There you will find a link to "Official Recommendation Form (Juried Awards)". That link will open a pdf file for a printable submission form. The form is very simple and there is no fee for juried awards but the person submitting must be a paid-up member of ASIFA-Hollywood. Mail the form to the address listed. Note that the forms for this year are not yet posted, but they shouldn't change much from last year.

There is a place for a statement of why this person should be considered. Tell us why this person has broken new ground in their field, been an influence or is the best at what they do. In Susan's case, I would also print out and attach her bio and filmography.

It looks like "El Doctor" came out last year. When she next releases a new film, she should also have that film submitted for a Best Animated Short Subject Annie Award.

Take a look at past recipients of the juried awards and a description of those awards to get an idea of who or what may be appropriate.

I'll post the key dates as soon as they are finalized.

Bill

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy vey.

Charles, I'm sure your passion for Suzan Pitt's work is genuine, but blasting Steve Worth for receiving an ASIFA-Hollywood reward certainly ain't the way to celebrate her, is it? You keep accusing Steve of having an "attitude", but frankly, he seems extremely reasonable here; just how is he standing in the way of Suzan Pitt getting the accolades she deserves? I doubt if the irony of your repeatedly bringing up "attitude" escapes anyone reading your posts. I'm afraid your messages on this thread aren't contributing positively to the public image of Animation Nation or its leader, and I'm sure I'm not the only one making this observation.

Please, Charles, cool off or at least, step away from your keyboard for a while.

Aloha,

Scott!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Must be that time of the month for ya Scott. I'll offer my reply to your comments the next time our paths cross and we meet face to face.

Bill, thanks for the explanation, info and updates.

--------------------
 -

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
"Must be that time of the month for ya Scott."?

Charles, I'm not the one having a public meltdown here, but thanks for the razor-sharp menstruation reference. Clever stuff.

Considering the public-ness of your posts, and the vaguely threatening nature of your "face-to-face" offer, I think I'd rather have your explanation served up right c'here.

Or are we gonna be seeing a post by you on the "Apologies" thread?

Aloha,

Scott!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Scott, grow up. And keep this on topic please.

--------------------
 -

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Charles,
What Shaw wrote is pretty much along the lines of what I wrote above.

What he wrote definitely is more thorough than what I wrote. And, I do agree with him.

I'm not going to go into a long, negative diatribe or anything. That would be hypocritical to a degree.

I just don't see how contributing potshots and making pokes in the eye contributes positively to the organic way this board functions, and grows. (Well, at one point in time you agreed that this board functions and grows organically. *)

As I wrote somewhere else, I try to temper myself, even if I'm in a less than stellar mood. But, it really doesn't help to see invectives being laid out by others on this board.

It is like someone passing you on the highway and flippin' you the bird. You don't why, it just irks the heck out of ya that he did. So, it doesn't help a good mood nor does it eliminate a bad mood.

In fact, the only reason I started posting again is to help balance out the negative crap with positive crap. That thread from last month on the personal tragedy where everyone analyzed the heck out of what happened, some with little respect for the situation, didn't sit well with me. It was like peeing on a grave.

The coincidence is that thread's evo-devolution coincides with your spike in traffic.

*while I'm sure that some might think of fertilizer jokes, like manure, I'm sure they won't write about it. They'll just continue to lurk and watch conversations transpire. By organically, I mean that noone needs to tend to it, it just happens and grows.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

First off, gergley, I think you guys are overreacting. Secondly, they've been badmouthing me in the industry for years. Apologies don't work with these guys because I've done it before. They want to go around and behave like this. Nothing I can say will change their minds. The next time I post something in a manner they don't like it'll start again. And of course, their preaching doesn't apply to them. They can say whatever they want even insults directed at me thinly disguised or not and I'm supposed to sit here and take it.

The negative bad talk about me from this group has been going on for a long time. They're going to do it no matter what. I don't care anymore. I'm indifferent to their personal opinions, but my lawyer insists we should sue the next time libelous remarks appear in print on a blog or website, which is one of the reasons I don't read them anymore. I don't want to go after friends, but with friends like these...

Please, the topic is Suzan Pitt. Keep it on topic as a courtesy if nothing else. I know I'm not asking too much. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
 -

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Then start a blog.

I still stand by the first thing i wrote in this thread, Charles.

You could've kept in on topic. But you didn't. Once Steve gave you the 411 to let you know that you can nominate Pitt, you laid in on him.

Start a part of AN that is your personal soapbox. Charles' Corner or something. It would be its own forum or section separate from all other forums.
Or just start a personal or an anonymous blog and vent there. Because really, it does come across as venting, Charles.

It is just antithetical to original, stated purposes of threads you start to turn the threads around and diss on members of the board.

Do you always do that, no. But, in this case, yeah.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I maintain a blog with the school. That and this forum is enough. You're blowing this out of proportion. If these guys have a beef they should have the courage to say it to my face but they don't. So they post here and use the threat of personal attacks against me in their own little corners. You can have the corners, I'll take the middle of the room.

Suzan Pitt please. Keep it on topic.

--------------------
 -

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

What would you know about "courtesy"?

This is the second time that you've recently made inflammatory comments about other people either on this board or with a presence in the animation industry, and when any of us have questioned the wisdom of your comments, you tell people to "stay on topic" or "grow up".

Charles, ANIMATION NATION may be your baby, but this sort of bipolar behavior of yours is only gonna hurt its reputation, especially considering the amount of activity this site's been getting (as you keep reminding us.)

You're the one who started making outrageously beside-the-point insults about Steve Worth and ASIFA-Hollywood, no one else. Now you're trying to intimidate myself and others for daring to react to your vitriolic comments. My first post was one of concern; again, thanks to your below-the-belt, junior high school-ish "time of the month" jab, things have gotten nasty.

Why don't you just post your sh*t list of people you preceive as AN's enemies so we' know not to get in the way of your attacks against them? Or to let us know when the inevitable day comes that our names will join the others on that ever-expanding list?

Aloha,

Scott!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

You're accusing me of being bi-polar? I don't know what your problem is man but I think it's a combination of jealousy, personal frustration, and maybe some sort of thing about challenging authority.

I'm not having a meltdown, bro. You are. If this site bothers you that much then listen to your common sense and go. Life will go on for everyone just fine. You'll be happier. If not and you want to stay, then just chill.

By the way, as a courtesy to you, your signature links were left up for well more than a year and half since your account subscription expired. And the avatar is left up because everyone here has a high professional regard for you. But in fairness to the people who are paying, the links had to go. I know that none of this matters with you Scott cuz you had your mind made up a long time ago to act like this on the forums, but it was a courtesy none the less.

Suzan Pitt please.

--------------------
 -

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

No, Charles, I like ANIMATION NATION. I like reading and posting here. I even like you, most of the time. But when you occasionally revert to acting like a locker room bully, I really don't get it.

(And really, "jealous", "frustrated"? I'm not beating my chest here, but a look at my resumé, not to mention current projects, should disprove those labels. And speaking of labels, I've worked for some REAL "authority figures", and you don't qualify.)

And believe me, it makes me scratch my head as to why people would pay for the privelege of being insulted and abused by you.

Good thing this is a public forum; I hope Suzan Pitt gets a load of how her Number One supporter treats fellow professionals.

But I'm not going anywhere, Charles. It's too entertaining to watch you self-detonate, over and over and over.

Aloha,

Scott!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Okay, you win. You're right. So let me self detonate in peace and let's stay on topic.

Suzan Pitt is remarkable ladies and gents. Her career in animation is like none other. She's an animator's animator for the dedication, love, passion and for me, the statement that she makes with her films. I'll follow up with more on the topic of her art and career soon. Please refrain from posting off topic comments from here on out. Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I had an awareness of Suzan Pitt, but her work really caught my attention when I saw her film "El Doctor" on PBS last year. About the same time, a popular blogger blasted American animation as being in a pathetic creative state. Ironically I was contacted by Suzan Pitt's publicist to write a review of her latest DVD which is a collection of her 3 major films plus a documentary about her career.

I realized after watching it that American animation is nowhere near the condition the negativity experts claimed. Her work was vibrant, lush, intensely personal, bizarre, captivating and completely different from anything associated with American animation. It was truly unique.

From the animation program at Harvard University, Suzan Pitt's work is not for everyone, especially if you prefer traditional story driven mainstream animation. But the side of the animation world she shows us is too amazing to pass over.

What I love the most about her work is the ever present theme, that life is difficult and sad, but it is beautiful. She's heavily influenced by Mexican folk art. She sticks with animating on cels and uses an Oxberry camera instead of computers. She's really remarkable, and a rebel as well, working on one of her films in Mexico City within sight of the country's Monument to the Revolution.

Her animation has a purity to it. It's not created for the commercial market, but for something else. A singular vision and for what it is, I definitely think it's time to honor her in some way.

I don't know one award from the other, so you'll have to pardon me for that. Whatever Annie Award would be appropriate for her, it sure would be nice to see her get one and receive the highest honor the animation industry can bestow upon her for her brilliance and dedication.

By the way, I'm just doing this. I'm not in touch with her or with anyone from her camp. I'm doing this because I feel very strongly that she should be recognized. She's been making films for many years, from the early 70s and I think that's plenty of time for qualification.

Thanks for reading this, and it's respectfully submitted.

--------------------
 -

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

I just want to make it clear that my remarks here are directed solely at Charles, and do not reflect my opinion of Suzan Pitt or her animated films in any way.

Aloha,

Scott!

Bill
IE # 166 ASIFA
Member # 1527

Charles, That's really interesting stuff on Susan. I was trying to think of other independents who are in that category. I thought of the Hubley's, then saw that they were honored way back in 1975 with Walt Disney and Norman McLaren. I think Will Vinton fits in that category. Maybe Sally Cruikshank. I'm sure there are loads of others that escape my mind, which is why Annie submissions are so important. We keep a list of who was suggested and refer to it each year. Often we pass someone by because no one bothered to really spell out why this person was worthy. I remember the animation festival at Filmex in the mid-1970's that also featured many people (such as the Hubleys). Some have become animation royalty, others forgotten. So thanks for the information on Susan. Anything you or others care to add would be appreciated.
Bill

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thanks Bill. I feel Suzan Pitt is absolutely unique among the names you mentioned and with all respect of course, she profoundly seperates herself from the pack by virtue of her art, how her life is centered around her animation, and for producing films for as long as she has. At least 37 years of independent filmmaking in animation. Her content, her distinctly Harvard animation school of thought, everything about her is as singular, individual and different as it gets. A real discover. I hope you'll give her an appropriate Annie this year, and thanks very much for considering her in any case, to you and the ASIFA-Hollywood directors.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012