AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Grilled Carrot: Jen Contino Interviews Me About CAPTAIN CARROT AND THE FINAL ARK!

Author Topic: Grilled Carrot: Jen Contino Interviews Me About CAPTAIN CARROT AND THE FINAL ARK!
Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
In an interview titled "Scott Shaw!'s CAPTAIN CARROT Returns!", THE PULSE's Jennifer Contino conducts a lengthy interview with Yours Truly regarding the upcoming CAPTAIN CARROT AND THE FINAL ARK miniseries from DC:

http://www.comicon.com/pulse/

Please check it out; not only do I reveal more of what's in store for readers of CCATFA, the interview is also accompanied by quite a few images pages of pages from first issue, including a face-melting two-page spread of "the Sandy Eggo Comic-Con Interspeciesal"! (Click on those thumbnails for much bigger images.)

I'd really appreciate your feedback, especially regarding my new artwork depicting the Zoo Crew and their anthromorphic world.

Aloha,

Scott!

IP: Logged
ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, that's great! I can't wait to get my hands on the series. It would be awesome if it pulled in numbers like the original series. I remember picking them up at my local Circle K way back when you could buy comics outside of comics shops.
btw, I blogged about it on Drawn!

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd really appreciate your feedback, especially regarding my new artwork depicting the Zoo Crew and their anthromorphic world.

It looks really good. Just based on those few examples, you are putting a lot of elbow grease into the pages.

The layout and flow seem a little different from what I remember about your work. But, I don't have any older Captain Carrot issues to compare the new art to. So, the only thing I can compare them against is the older art in the article and a rickety memory.

That written (and I don't mean any offense by putting it this way) the new work seems solid in a certain way and the line work looks tight. Some of the panels use a choice of angles that are a nice touch and which are well done. (the upshots and downshots on the rabbit onstage and in the room by himself.)

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for your responses, folks. I'm delighted that all the hard work we've been putting into this project is showing. I've been working on the third and final issue now. (I'd almost forgotten what it was to draw like myself for a welcome change, rather than following someone else's model sheets.) Then it's back to adapting my drawing (and writing) styles to other people's projects.

Boy, I really hope CAPTAIN CARROT AND THE FINAL ARK sells well, 'cause I would welcome the opportunity to do more stories of the Zoo Crew, maybe not a monthly book, but a series of funnybook miniseries and/or specials, with plenty of (well-paying) animation and toy designing projects in between 'em.

Any more comments and/or reactions would be welcome!

Aloha,

Scott!

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

quote:
I'm delighted that all the hard work we've been putting into this project is showing.
That's cool. I'm sure others who may have seen the interview and other promo material might chime in.

I did want to commend you on the two-page spread. Obviously, seeing the printed version will yield details on what all is there, but, just the image on the Comicon site is impressive.

There's obviously a lot of well-designed elements to it, and diverse elements and stylistic approaches (which makes sense since it is a convention with a lot of collateral and promotional materials everywhere). And, that's just based on a so-so, notso great quality jpg of the spread. Again, I'm sure the printed version will offer a lot more surprises.

Did you ink the spread yourself or did the book's inker do it? I ask not out of a geekish curiosity, it is just I could ask anyone to follow my tracks if I did anything that detailed.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

ha.
sometimes I check for spelling errors and typos and forget to look for missing words:
For the last sentence, it should contain the word NOT.....and it does not.

So, it would read like:

"....I could NOT ask someone to follow..."
yadadyadayada.....

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Nope, Amiable Al Gordon inked it and Terrific Tom Luth -- who's so great at making Sergio Aragonés' crowd scenes read so well -- colored it...and from what I heard, it just about killed both of 'em!

But Bill and I have hidden so many sight-gags in those two pages, I think it was worth it! (Hey, it almost killed ME, too!)

Speaking of Sergio, when he saw it, he gasped, "Oh, sheet!"...so I guess I accomplished what I set out to do.

(The third issue has some huge crowd scenes, too, but not involved with the Comic-Con.)

Thanks again!

Aloha,

Scott!

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, do the DC editors have any plans to use you for the new "DC Kids" line?
I'm going to put together some samples to send them, but I'm not sure how many titles are planned. It's about time one of the big two focused on little kids.

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Not that I'm aware of. After I'm finished with CAPTAIN CARROT AND THE FINAL ARK, I've got a bunch of stories for SIMPSONS COMICS to write and lay out. I'm also looking for new projects in a-n-i-m-a-t-i-o-n.

Got any suggestions, folks?

Aloha,

Scott!

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

By the way, DC is only doing three comic series for li'l kids:

-- SUPER FRIENDS (not based on the old H-B show, but very kid-friendly and "action" oriented rather than violent; dunno who's drawing this but the sample I saw wasn't drawn in the Bruce Timm style but still pretty "straight" )

-- TINY TITANS (the Teen Titans as five-year-olds, appropriately -- and appealingly -- drawn by my friend Art Balthazar)

-- SHAZAM! (again, a very kid-friendly version of CAPTAIN MARVEL and, if I'm not incorrect, written and drawn by Mike "HEROBEAR AND THE KID" Kunkel; I think it's sorta, kinda based on Jeff Smith's recent take on the character)

Aloha,

Scott!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012