AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Author Topic: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
For the past year, I've been creating (with the help of a small crew) the kind of game I'd love to play. Hope you guys enjoy the trailer:

http://www.insanelytwistedshadowplanet.com

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColorInAble   Author's Homepage   Email ColorInAble         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks really beautiful.
It looks like a typical 2D trail shooter (I'm not the biggest gamer or even really one at all, so I bet that doesn't describe it well) It looks like Sonic (older 2D sonic) in the actions and game play area, or what it really looks like is the game play is Defender.

Like the 3D application in what seems like basically a 2D gaming space. The look and the layout is beautiful.

Unless it's just like Defender, I do't get much of a sense of what the actual game play is like, but I'm not that savy as to what it could be in todays game sphere. That's probably the most important part of whether you get a publisher or not, and I don't get a real sense of what game play is like from the site.

Wow is it beautiful though, I wish you the best of luck...

--------------------
 -

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
very nice! now i'm wishing i bought a 360 hah! good luck with it!

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

KevinO
IE # 36
Member # 56

Icon 14 posted      Profile for KevinO   Email KevinO         Edit/Delete Post 
My son is gonna love that if/when it comes out Michel! I have no doubt you'll find a publisher, or game company to get involved.
monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
If this game is published, I will break down and get an Xbox 360. [thumbsup] Keep us updated Michel
Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks awesome Michel. Great use of your own style and the mix of 2D and 3D elements looks flawless. I'm sure you'll find a publisher quite soon! Good luck!
Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody. I love working on this game! This is such a fun project. I love it!

KevinO - There's no "if" about it. This game will get made.

By the way, I removed the "Xbox 360" mention from the teaser.

--------------------
 -

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
did you remove it because you are not sure at this point where the final game will end up?

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

We took it off because we're in discussion with a major game company who asked us to remove it. Hopefully, I'll make an announcement on my website soon.

--------------------
 -

mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojodesign   Author's Homepage   Email mojodesign         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! It looks like the type of game that I've been waiting for...something that's actually FUN to play...like they use to make in the 80's and early 90's. Something happened as the graphics began to get better and better with game consoles...I don't know why, but games aren't fun anymore for me. I remember how great it was to play Super Mario Bros., Contra, Super Gouls and Ghosts. Maybe that's it....maybe it's got something to do with the fact that those games were all side scroll games, just as yours looks like it's going to be.

I for one would definitely buy a particular game console, JUST for this game alone!

Great stuff once again Michel. Can you tell us a little bit about the story?...characters, etc.?

-Jose

--------------------
 -

roger
IE # 141
Member # 2352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger   Author's Homepage   Email roger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it looks from the preview to me, you don't need a heavy 3d game console. And that might be very interesting from a publishers point of view. Are you already in beta testing stage?

--------------------
http://www.canvas.nl

amanofan
IE # 191
Member # 369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amanofan   Email amanofan         Edit/Delete Post 
this looks soo doooooppppeee... great work mr. gagne.. cant wait to play this.
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you talked to Sony yet? I could totally see this on the PSP or PS3. I could put you in touch with some people, if you like.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see the enthusiastic response!

Jose - We're not revealing much at this point. Just that we're doing the most epic side-scroller ever.

Roger - No beta-testing at the moment.

Floyd - Yes, we'd love to talk to as many people as possible. Please send them the link to the website. You can also used this link, which is shorter: www.insanelytwisted.com

--------------------
 -

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, glad the game is already garnering a lot of interest from major companies. Nintendo would surely love to have the title on it's DS and even on the Wii. They seem to go for *fun* games more than realism.

Are you going to be animating interstitials as well? That would seriously rule. I'd love to work on such a project.

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caracal   Author's Homepage   Email Caracal         Edit/Delete Post 
Very Fun Michel!
Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
It's neat to see so much good stuff coming from the effects cadre of folks.

I love the synthesis of how your texturing on the ship and its accoutrements match the world.

You have sincerely gone above and beyond Ward Kimballs; Mars and Beyond in style and in substance and created something people will have a hell of a time trying to keep up with.

Just Wow.

[Smile]

I would say fund it yourself and license it with royalties for you... and Have approval over advertising including clauses for punk and viral marketing that you can do on your own.

Link up with Hot Topic.

You stuff is Iconic.

Exploit that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

Egheaumaen
IE # 171
Member # 1519

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Egheaumaen   Email Egheaumaen         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great, Michel! It reminds me a little of "Alien Homonid" in the way that the handcrafted nature of the visual style really grabs you. I especially liked that circle of lightning that surrounded the ship, with its yellows in such stark contrast to the blues and blacks around it. Gameplay feels a like Scramble, though it seems like the stem underneath your ship is maneuverable, which gives it a whole new element. I'm guessing the left analog stick moves the ship while the right one aims the gun? Anyway, it looks like fun. Please let us know when and where we'll be able to pick it up.
Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy a whole system just for this game.

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Richard
Member # 247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard   Email Richard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you even put Dimmu Borgir in the soundtrack!!

--------------------
www.richardjgaines.blogspot.com

roger
IE # 141
Member # 2352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger   Author's Homepage   Email roger         Edit/Delete Post 
In case you are contemplating an online version send me an pm

--------------------
http://www.canvas.nl

Olve
IE # 185
Member # 427

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Olve   Author's Homepage   Email Olve         Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer is out on Game Trailers.
Looks great!

--------------------
Olve's Blog

Doodles
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodles   Email Doodles         Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous work. I wish more games tried this approach instead of trying to cram as many pixels in a frame so they could make prettier explosions.
Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Thanks guys for all the support. The response has been tremendous from all sides. Hopefully, we'll get a good deal in place soon. I'll keep you posted.

[cheers]

--------------------
 -

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks incredible Michel, it's so awesome to see such a talented Feature 2D artist working on a game with their vision behind the experience. Beautifully animated 2D gaming has been sorely lacking in the marketplace of mainstream gaming since the mid-90's when all the home consoles went 3D.

So much has advanced on the tech side to allow for fully animated frame sequences that let that 2D talent shine since the switch happened (faster read times, greater memory, greater storage capacity to hold lengthy sequences, etc.).

A few companies and individuals have seen that vacuum and have taken good advantage of it. In the console arena, Humongous Entertainment is one with Alien Hominid as has been mentioned above, and Sammy Studios with their Guilty Gear series is another, although I'm sure there are others I'm failing to mention. Irregardless it's a pretty short list that I know of and have played, and I've kept an eye out for them since I worked on one starting about two years ago.

I imagine it's got to be kind of difficult not knowing what your final distribution platform is going to be, I know it would be for me, because it's such a determinate factor on art in all gaming. The idiosyncrasies of hardware and developing the best looking product for that particular config is real a real bitch. And localization is real grunt work (I love clear and concise icons so text isn't even needed).

If you can say, what engine are you developing with, Torque X?

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Tobias A. Wolf - Thanks man. For me, the only way I would commit to make a game was to make sure I could design and animate the stuff my way: on paper and on ones at 24 fps. Now we've proven the technique and the sky is the limit. Our goal is to do a seamless blend between 2D and 3D and do the animation the same way you'd do a classical animated film. When we release trailer number 2, I think people will be really impressed.

As far as engine and such, we can't discuss it for now. We've got a lot of people to talk to in the coming weeks, and depending on the outcome, we might have to migrate the game to a different engine. It all depends on the deal we make.

All I can say is that I never thought I'd work in the game biz, but now I can barely contend my excitment. Working with a team of innovators, I feel confident that we will take a sledge hammer to the game industry and make significant blow!

--------------------
 -

JATG
IE # 29
Member # 65

Icon 10 posted      Profile for JATG   Author's Homepage   Email JATG         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent the link to the trailer around work today and everybody has looked at it and sighed wistfully.

Working in a game studio myself, this trailer is like a balm to over pixelated eyes. It's so refreshing to see Really Good Design rather than over saturated colors and a lemming charge towards uncanny valley realism.

Best of luck with this, it's seriously awesome!

Brian Reynolds
IE # 50
Member # 4

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brian Reynolds           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... this does my eyes some serious good. I've always felt that there wasn't enough Gagne in the world and I love seeing more and more coming into view. And better still is an interactive Gagne experience in a 'shmup' guise! Awesome, awesome, awesome!

--------------------
-Brian Reynolds

Sketchbook
IE # 135
Member # 1581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchbook   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Michel! Awesome, Just Awesome!

Sorry to be joining the discussion so late. I just moved to a new place, connected the internet and didn't realize you'd made the announcement!

So much eye candy, and it looks like a lot of fun. Glad that I could have a part in the early Flash development of this game... it's really evolved into something spectacular!

Keep me posted on what develops!

Cheers! [cheers]

--------------------
Mike

-

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
M.G.,,
Glad to see that this is not only being done but that you are excited to be making it.

Though part of me wonders if you aren't trying to become that Hank Scorpio guy from that old Simpsons episode.

You seem to be trying and accomplishing a little too much.
And....
You are in a real world version of that neck of the woods. Hmmmmmm.

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank JATG, Brian and Gergley.

Hey Mike - I called you before posting the trailer on line to give you first glimpse, but the number was disconnected. Anyway, thanks for helping with some of the pre-viz. By the way, feel free to post the pre-viz shot you did on your online portfolio. As you can see, we've come a long way. And dude, I'm telling you, you won't believe the creatures, environments and puzzles we're working on!

--------------------
 -

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Michel, maybe you and your guys already saw this or are involved. Either way, it sounds like there may be some promise in their stated goals:

quote:
NEW YORK, Sept. 18 -- IAC (Nasdaq: IACI) and GarageGames today announced the creation of InstantAction.com, the first Web- based videogame network. Using GarageGames' industry-leading game development tools, InstantAction.com will provide compelling original action games through a standard Web browser. IAC has acquired a majority of GarageGames' equity, and GarageGames' management team will continue to lead the business as it builds out the InstantAction network.

InstantAction will also launch a Game Development Fund aimed at fostering a new generation of game development for the internet. Introducing new technology which allows graphically rich, networked games to run in popular web browsers with no download installation, InstantAction.com will enable easy access to singleplayer and multiplayer games with core-oriented mechanics and high-end visuals.

"We've been looking at the video game sector for years and it wasn't until we found GarageGames and their idea for InstantAction.com that we believed IAC could participate in a true internet innovation in online gaming," said Barry Diller, CEO of IAC.

GarageGames' CEO and CTO Josh Williams appointed Andy Yang of IAC to spearhead the InstantAction network earlier this year. GarageGames was founded in 1999 and created the Torque Game Engine, the leading platform for independent game development. GarageGames also created Marble Blast Ultra and its industry veteran founders led the development of the popular team-based action game Tribes.

"Working with IAC, we are now able to truly fulfill our vision to enable developers both large and small to deliver innovative ideas on an exciting new accessible platform for gamers," says Williams. "The InstantAction Fund will invest in talented teams who want to bring high-quality action gaming to everyone in the world through the internet."

The InstantAction.com site is now live and accepting registrations for early access to its private beta and is expected to launch to the public in early 2008. Its initial portfolio of original core-oriented games from high- profile studios and newly discovered game development talent will be announced in the coming weeks.

It's sounds like the idea has some potential, in that they are attempting to bypass downloading an app to play - thus making the games that much more accessible and easy to share the good word with friends. But, I do wonder about how they're going to solve load times. If you have to wait just as long to download and install an app in the time it would take to try a game through your browser, then this angle is going to offer 0% fundamental advantage over other approaches to internet game distribution from a player stand point.
SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't believe I've not added to this thread, being such a big gamer and all. Looks fantastic... are you looking at XBLA or a full release? I know how picky gamers can be, even when something is beautifully made.

XBL recently made allowances for bigger games to be released, regardless, with the introduction of Prince of Persia.

As for InstantAction, it does sound like your typical streaming java (although it's bound to be more complex) application... certainly streamed games in my experience can't give the same rich experience as one that requires installation.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the look! I always liked that saucer thing in your sig/avatar Gagne'.

It's got a Tim Burton feel to it too and that's comforting. I like that it's reminiscent of the early video games more strategy based and not all bells and whistles.

Gaming keeps on growing. I'm busy studying all aspects of it now. Can't wait for it to be out. The PC version should be moddable?

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Splatman
IE # 94
Member # 2096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Splatman   Author's Homepage   Email Splatman         Edit/Delete Post 
Insane! [Eek!]

Can't wait to see #2! [bow]

[cheers]
Splatman [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chief Doodler
SPLAT digital
www.SPLATdigital.com

Dennis Woodyard
IE # 81
Member # 2314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Woodyard   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Woodyard         Edit/Delete Post 
Greeting from Rochester, NY, guys.

Great stuff Michel. It looks like a fun game. I'd like to do Dragonfly Game Flipz book of it sometime (after I'm more settled here).

Good luck with the game. Hope it's a great success.

--------------------
 -
The Gods that smiled when you were born are Laughing now - My Favorite Fortune Cookie Saying

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmmmmmmmmm.....yummy !

something delicious about that smooth motion on ones eh Michel ?

and yes , WOW......such a designed look is so refreshing from all the textured stuff....heck I'd go for a 3D multiplayer virtual environment online shooter version too ....you could make that work eh Michel ?

I hope you get steenking reeech man !

Derm

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012